Let's talk, seriously. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-02-2006, 11:41 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Let's talk, seriously.

I remember reading awhile ago that time travel could be possible, but only going forward into time, not back.

I believe the theory is, if you were to get close to a black hole and managed to do a full revolution around it, by the time you came back you would be in the future with your body haven't aged as much as the people on earth.

A Black hole could trap light and actually slow time around it to even ending time. If you were to revolve around a black hole the idea would be since there is no time you wouldn't age, but in present time on Earth everyone would still be living and aging. So when you came back around maybe 20-40 years might have gone by then. So you would be the same age, depending on how long the trip took but everyone else would have aged much further.

Could anyone tell me if there is any validity to this?

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: Let's talk, seriously.

You are saying all this taking for granted that you can just magically appear at the nearest black hole and then once you go around the black hole get back to earth.

The nearest Black Hole cant be reached in a lifetime

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
The nearest Black Hole cant be reached in a lifetime
That pretty much ends the discussion in reality.

Who cares about time travel why travel the future when tomorrows not even written yet.

last i heard is that they had some telescope built that can look 80 something light years ahead. what good is that gonna do

but thats just me now :approve:

Check out this link Here about Time Travel

Time - Time Travel
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2006, 11:53 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

John Titor - Time Traveler

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:03 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

seriously though. you are no quantum physicist nor did you spend many years at harvard running numbers on temporal harmonics and how to calculate the randomness of the space-time continuum. even Mr. Spock could only provide a "Guesstimate" as to how fast they needed to be to slingshot around the sun and travel back in time.

i would think you could not travel forward in time, as there are so many variables between what happens in the now from what happens in the future, what youd be seeing could be so far off. besides, if you time travel, you leave the present, and no longer exist in the future, so without anything to hold your molecules in temporal stasis, you would just vanish.

what youre talking about is what effects space has on people. it is true, long term spaceflight has led some astronauts feeling younger than they did before they left, and a few have actually demonstrated everyone else feeling or looking considerably older upon returning to earth.

i suppose if you were able to maneuver about a black hole without getting sucked in, you could travel in and out of areas of accelerated or decelerated time due to the stresses a black hole has on the surrounding physics.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:17 AM   #6
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
seriously though. you are no quantum physicist nor did you spend many years at harvard running numbers on temporal harmonics and how to calculate the randomness of the space-time continuum. even Mr. Spock could only provide a "Guesstimate" as to how fast they needed to be to slingshot around the sun and travel back in time.

i would think you could not travel forward in time, as there are so many variables between what happens in the now from what happens in the future, what youd be seeing could be so far off. besides, if you time travel, you leave the present, and no longer exist in the future, so without anything to hold your molecules in temporal stasis, you would just vanish.

what youre talking about is what effects space has on people. it is true, long term spaceflight has led some astronauts feeling younger than they did before they left, and a few have actually demonstrated everyone else feeling or looking considerably older upon returning to earth.

i suppose if you were able to maneuver about a black hole without getting sucked in, you could travel in and out of areas of accelerated or decelerated time due to the stresses a black hole has on the surrounding physics.
How was your stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night?

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:27 AM   #7
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
How was your stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night?
OMFG :rofl: :woo:
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:31 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

I honestly can't bring biology and the aging part into a black hole, but what I wonder...

(im bringing string theory into this a bit)

...that hypothetically the reason why the universe seems to be broken down at a black hole is because it might be another dimension where the laws are different. time could be at a different rate, light, etc.. im not an expert so i cant say exactly what would happen to light and more importantly a human. when i say this i would compare it to a window which is at a different pressure than lets say a microburst outside. the pressure difference would rip out the window. now imagine that with time, light, atoms, etc and another dimension.

just a thought though and i have absolutely no references or other theories/facts/proofs to even come remotely close to what i said makes sense.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:39 AM   #9
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

you know, you guys are making this way too difficult. All you need is a flux capacitor, time circuits, a delorean, plutomium, a bolt of lightning, or Mr. Fusion, gasoline (don't rip the fuel line, cause whiskey will blow off the disributor cap) and depending on whethere you have had the hover conversion or not (if not, i recommend it, it will only cost $39999.95, see Goldie Wilson III at Wilson Hover Conversions), enough road to get up to 88 miles an hour.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:23 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

I remember reading this in my astronomy book and I can give a 49% accuracy that Steven Hawking might have said that. brb on the phone to read everyone's response.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:54 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Ok I guess that was a waste of time...

But in response to a few, thanks for the message it was a complete waste of time.

To others:

Time Traveling into the future isn't like teleporting into the future, this is a trip you take slowing your body down as the earth continues to go on it's present time. When you come back to earth, you would have aged a bit but earth would have aged a whole lot longer than you have.

You would be living in the future, as your present body I guess it what you could say. It'd be an odd way of "time traveling" yes, but it sounds logical to me.

That is, like some of you stated, if you could get out of the Black Hole's gravity (which is something I'd like to see) but it's extremely doubtful. I mean ****, you know how fast you'd have to be going to avoid the pull of a Black Hole's gravity? ****.. if light can't escape, what can?

I am just saying though, if there was maybe the outter limit around a black hole which would be okay to revolve around, I think it may be possible. But if the Black Hole can't reach you enough to pull you in, then it wouldn't have the same effects on time around you.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..

Old 10-03-2006, 02:04 AM   #12
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well, sorry for being a little light hearted, didn't know this was a no jokes thread. IMO, time travel is not, nor will not, ever be possible. Even if it was the moral, physical, metaphysical ramafications and the shear weight of such a HUGE responsabilty of the matter would be tremendous. If time travel is ever achieved, forward or backward, it will be the end of the universe as we know it. End of story
Old 10-03-2006, 02:09 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

you gotta remember, your theory is a one-way trip. in simpler forms, cryogenic stasis. but what if you dont like the way the world becomes, then your ****ed. its not true time-travel as one would expect, its just putting a halt to aging for a later date.

and we are still living in a time where light is the fastest constant. true, in normal space, objects can only move so fast. we have not yet figured out how to push an object into subspace, but when we do...........star trek doesnt seem as far off as you think. basically warp speed as most of you know, think is just a measure of time versus distance, its actually a measure of power versus weight. a warp core uses a matter/antimatter reaction(much similar to a plutonium and uranium atom combining and the process afterwards) to power the drive nacelles, which push the ship out of normal space into subspace, kinda like making it lighter than normal matter(at least this is how i always heard it reffered to). the impule engines still provide thrust, but the more power the reactor makes, the more the nacelles push the ship farther into subspace, IE the lighter it gets and the easier it is to move through it.

that is how you escape a black hole. or you fire a quantum torpedo at the right temporal frequency which creates a gravometric shear which in turn becomes a black hole inside a black hole, and you let them both duke it out till they both swallow eachother and collapse.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:11 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

It's ok, I just wanted some serious responses to this one is all Nate

Even if you were able to slow down your body's aging as everyone on earth's keeps at the present rate of time? It's sort of like time traveling. Sort of like Fry from Futurama when he gets frozen and thawed out a thousand years later. It's a type of time travel, it's nothing like getting in a machine and letting it do it's thing ya know? I know for sure traveling into the past will be impossible.

Think about it, if it could be achieved, then how come nobody in the future is taking advantage of it somehow?

Old 10-03-2006, 02:15 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8r View Post
Well, sorry for being a little light hearted, didn't know this was a no jokes thread. IMO, time travel is not, nor will not, ever be possible. Even if it was the moral, physical, metaphysical ramafications and the shear weight of such a HUGE responsabilty of the matter would be tremendous. If time travel is ever achieved, forward or backward, it will be the end of the universe as we know it. End of story
someone wasnt paying attention in string theory 101.

there once was a time where we though flight was impossible. or going to the moon was impossible. we believe faster than light travel is impossible. like everything else humans do, we strive to push the limits, and the impossible goes from impossible to maybe one day to soon a reality to goverment funded research to reality to feasable to everyday use. one day there will be a way to make a rift or gateway between two points in time along the same timeline. useful? probably not. harmful to our civilization? definately. destroyer of universes? yeah, no.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:15 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

That's what I'm thinking too Thomas, it would be a one way ticket to the future.

I also agree that the only way we could accel faster than light is through an explosive force that could push us that fast. If hitting a hockey puck on ice can send it flying across a field of ice then imagine using a nuclear bomb or something with even more explosive power to hit the puck.

Just replace puck with space shuttle or what have you and there you go. I believe we could travel faster than the speed of light, we just haven't gotten there yet.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:18 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Think about it, if it could be achieved, then how come nobody in the future is taking advantage of it somehow?
temporal prime directive!

you cannot alter the timeline no matter what the circumstances.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:26 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I also agree that the only way we could accel faster than light is through an explosive force that could push us that fast. If hitting a hockey puck on ice can send it flying across a field of ice then imagine using a nuclear bomb or something with even more explosive power to hit the puck.

Just replace puck with space shuttle or what have you and there you go. I believe we could travel faster than the speed of light, we just haven't gotten there yet.
thats already been though of. even a nuclear blast in zeroG does not have enough of a blast-front to create enough thrust to move faster than a few hundred mph.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:57 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

geez.. haven't any of you seen The One with Jet Li?

PS: according to string theory, time travel is impossible because whenever you mess with time like that, you are actually messing with dimensions.

so if you were to do the time travel thing around and around and around a black hole, you would essentially be duplicating yourself exponentially to every universe at every given time. so basically (i think) even though you left the orbit of the black hole, you would still be going around. and at every given moment you would be leaving the orbit of the black hole joining another dimensions time. i think.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:00 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

oh, and one more thing.. when you are going around and leaving into a new dimension at every given moment.. essentially you do not exist in the "real world" anymore and your "original" self would be eternally stuck in the orbit of the black hole until he died.. i think lol.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:22 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
thats already been though of. even a nuclear blast in zeroG does not have enough of a blast-front to create enough thrust to move faster than a few hundred mph.
That's only a nuclear blast, I'm sure in the future we can come up with things more destructive. I only wish that those destructive bombs would be used for space travel and not against each other but we got *** tards we gotta live with :-/

Old 10-03-2006, 03:27 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
That's only a nuclear blast, I'm sure in the future we can come up with things more destructive. I only wish that those destructive bombs would be used for space travel and not against each other but we got *** tards we gotta live with :-/
perhaps something with dark matter

Old 10-03-2006, 07:05 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Time Travel will happen. There is no doubt. Once Science is able to harness the power required we will be able to create worm holes or small black hole like phenomenon, at first it will not be very safe or accurate but they will learn to control it.

This is closer than we realize.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:16 AM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I think we are getting pretty close. Does no one remember the link posted about scientists creating a miniature black hole?

If you buy into string theory, it is very possible indeed. All we have to do is figure out how to fold the fourth dimension. It's as simple as that.

However, I don't think it will be done by accelerating past the speed of light... or traveling around a black hole. Remember, string theory is all about perception. It's about the fact that what we perceive to be reality is, in fact, not reality at all. It's just a very small chunk of reality.

The first thing we have to do is learn to look outside of what we consider to be real, so we can begin to fill in the rest of the picture.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:02 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

also I am 99.9999% sure no one on this board under stands the string theory fully.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:49 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
All we have to do is figure out how to fold the fourth dimension. It's as simple as that.
brb, I'm gonna go make a sammich, and you know, just fold the fourth dimension, will someone put my laundry in the dryer if I'm not back when its done?

haha, just messin.....
Old 10-03-2006, 12:26 PM   #27
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
also I am 99.9999% sure no one on this board under stands the string theory fully.
I agree, and me, I don't believe the string theory. I also still feel that IF time travel will ever be possible, it would have catastrophic consaquences. However, I am sure Jesus will come back before that happens, so I am not too worried.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:39 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Quote:
The problem with traveling the speed of light goes alot further than just "can we push it hard enough". According to physics: as the velocity of an object approaches c (the speed of light), the energy required to move the object approaches infinity. Therefore, it requires an infinite amount of energy for any object with non-zero mass to even reach c, let alone go faster.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8r View Post
I agree, and me, I don't believe the string theory. I also still feel that IF time travel will ever be possible, it would have catastrophic consaquences. However, I am sure Jesus will come back before that happens, so I am not too worried.
If time travel comes a reality anytime soon I am going to go back and slap some sense into your mama before she married your dad, maybe with any luck you wont be born!!!

MUHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

J/K
Old 10-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

you have to understand a theory before you can dismiss it.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:43 PM   #31
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
you have to understand a theory before you can dismiss it.
I looked it over, decided it was junk, didn't care to fully comprehend it, and dismissed it.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:00 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

In my honest opinion, this theory seems like it *could* work. That's why I'm so interested in it, you would need some pretty powerful things to keep yourself out of the Black Hole's Grip, but nothing is impossible when it comes to that sorta stuff. There's always a positive and negative and we just gotta find the neutral ground

Old 10-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

meh how about we just let the smartie pant scientist figure all this out. cause unless one of is one we aint gonna prove **** and its gonna be nothing but theories to interpert thats all

bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:56 AM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

It's sorta all in good fun too ya know?

Old 10-06-2006, 08:17 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

we probably know about .000000001% of the science that is the universe....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar