GT500 vs Terminator MM&FF Article - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:19 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
GT500 vs Terminator MM&FF Article

IHRA Pro Stock Racer Robert Patrick Caries The SVT Banner Into Drag Action - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: GT500 vs Terminator MM&FF Article

Quote:
With Terminators regularly running around with 575-plus rear-wheel horsepower these days, the GT500 will, as Larry Vanderpool of Dayton, Ohio put it, "have awfully big shoes to fill."

With respect like that, the '03-'04 Terminator Cobras will always be at the top of the Ford performance hierarchy. SLP's Brian Reese says, "While they will not retain the king-of-the-hill title from a power or performance point of view, they'll always retain value and a top place in the Mustang history. People still drool over '93 Cobras, which were dethroned long ago."

[clip]

Until then, we leave you with Tampa, Florida's John Robb who says, "I own an '03 Sonic Cobra. I have the Shelby covered . . .bring it. "
Nuff said...
Old 10-06-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

I aint scurred.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Quote:
Strictly Performance's Richard Lelsz explains, "On the street, you can't beat the IRS. It hooks up better than any solid will. With a 600hp car, you can hook up in First gear, but with a solid axle, you'll spin through Third." As much as he praises the IRS' street manners, Lelsz was also quick to point out that a solid axle with the right tires will be faster at the dragstrip. IRS aside, the Terminator Cobra is as bulletproof as factory hot rods get. Ask any LS1 owner about his wimpy 7.5 rear axle or the weak little clutch they put behind the engines to save it.
Is this true, because if it is I'd rather have a IRS.

Oh Yeah. 03/04 Cobra > New Shelby GT500.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:16 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

They're right about the f-body rear-end. That sorry bastard is a disgrace. I don't understand why they didn't put the 12-bolt in them from the factory.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
They're right about the f-body rear-end. That sorry bastard is a disgrace. I don't understand why they didn't put the 12-bolt in them from the factory.
Yeah they are pretty ****ty, and if I'm not mistaking the clutches in the F-bodies aren't that good either, but they have a better motor than any N/A Mustang.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Is this true, because if it is I'd rather have a IRS.

Oh Yeah. 03/04 Cobra > New Shelby GT500.
I'd rather have solid rear since I would buy the car to drag race. I have seen probably half a dozen 03/04s throw a half shaft.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

GT500 > 03/04 Cobra.

Get over it.

They are faster, they handle better, they stop quicker, they have a vastly improved interior, they have a stouter transmission, they have a solid rear axle, they aren't sitting on a chassis design that is over 25 years old (and based on a Ford Fairmont, as Brother Corey always loves to point out), and... AND... they have .8 extra liters of displacement.

Yes, they weigh more. But that argument is getting really old. If they out-perform the 03-04 Cobra in every possible way... then why does it matter?

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
GT500 > 03/04 Cobra.

Get over it.

They are faster, they handle better, they stop quicker, they have a vastly improved interior, they have a stouter transmission, they have a solid rear axle, they aren't sitting on a chassis design that is over 25 years old (and based on a Ford Fairmont, as Brother Corey always loves to point out), and... AND... they have .8 extra liters of displacement.

Yes, they weigh more. But that argument is getting really old. If they out-perform the 03-04 Cobra in every possible way... then why does it matter?
Here's the big thing that I have against the Shelby GT500. Name any other Mustang that wouldn't be faster than the GT500 if it had the same hp as the GT500.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Here's the big thing that I have against the Shelby GT500. Name any other Mustang that wouldn't be faster than the GT500 if it had the same hp as the GT500.
So? That's why it has that much horsepower. And it's capable of making a lot more.

Scary stuff.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:00 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
GT500 > 03/04 Cobra.

Get over it.

wheres the proof that they are better? so far its just dyno numbers that are not far off(430whp compared to 370ish in the Termie). so far i have yet to hear of them hitting the strip, prolly cause the only people with them are too good for the quarter mile. as for suspension, doubtful, IRS is way better in the twisties than SRA. 25 year old chassis could go another 25 years, but leave it to ford to pull something out of production once it becomes too good(5.0 ring a bell). and seriously, how much better is the new chassis if its 500lbs heavier? cant do much with unibody that hasnt been done but change around the overall size. as for "Stouter" transmission, ive yet to hear of a cobra blowing the T56, so i dunno how much more stout you can get. and remember, displacement means jack **** in todays world, especially when you have a roots type SC on top(displacement is nice to help aide against centrifugal SC's and Turbo setups laggy throttle)

btw IRS is awesome to launch on the street. i can outlaunch me in my GT easily, and being in my buddies AWD wrx i believe i can outlaunch him as well. it just hooks up and goes. and broken axles are part of playing the game at 600hp/600tq. plus coming around corners in 2nd and just mashing it, instead of throwing the *** out like the GT would do, the whole rear end just squats and sticks and flings me up and out of the corner.

i happily await my first meeting with a GT500.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:01 PM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Here is my problem with the gt500...

it is over hyped...over exhagerated...under performing...under styled...and over rated.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:03 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
i happily await my first meeting with a GT500.
As do I...Stang Hi has one as a customer and he keeps touting it as being such a bad *** ride...however he nearly **** a brick when we left the strip club last weekend and said my car out pulls it by a mile. He ran a 12.6 or something like that in it...I figure an 11.8 in mine as it sits right now with the same driver (stang hi owner).

I look forward to fixing my driver side front tire so I can meet said customer at the track...
Old 10-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

w00t Terminate his ***.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Here's another way to look at it. If you take a Fox Body and give it the same amount of hp as most any other car its going to be just as fast if not faster than that car. I knew a few people when I lived in Georgia that had Foxes with just bolt ons that would destroy my car and I'm pretty sure would beat a GT500, and these are N/A cars with bolt ons being paided for by people working as bus boys, and cooks. They could race Corvettes and Porsche's and take them without much of a problem(At least thats what they would say, but after riding in 2 of their cars I believe them).
The 03/04 Cobra's are heavy, but the ability to make hp so easily makes you kind of over look their weight, but then you add another 300lb to an already big car, and it start gets rediculous. Theres a thread on svtperformance.com where they discuss if the GT500 would need 700 hp to keep up with a new stock Z06.Is the Shelby GT500 going to need 700HP at the crank to keep up with a C6 Z06? - SVTPerformance Thats a 200 hp difference, which I think seen about right. Also with the 03/04 Cobras being built on a chassis based off the Fox Mustang you could forgive the heavy weight, and poor weight distrabution because of the age of the chassis. But with a new platform developed in 2005(which is a good chassis) they should be able to engineer less weight, and especially a better weight distrabution than they did. I think that they tried to make the new Mustang to refined, and it takes away from performance that the car could have.

Watch how the front end dives on this video, I don't think it handles very good.
MotorWeek: Road Test Video
Old 10-06-2006, 07:19 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

You have got to be joking. You guys are gonna make a boring night very fun.

Quote:
as for suspension, doubtful, IRS is way better in the twisties than SRA.
No. IRS is better over bumps. That's it. I don't see Maximum Motorsports running independent rears in their track cars. There is a reason. IRS is heavy and unnecessary.

Quote:
25 year old chassis could go another 25 years, but leave it to ford to pull something out of production once it becomes too good(5.0 ring a bell).
This has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard, ever. As a lover of the fox, I must admit that the chasis blows chunks. The 05+ chasis is light years ahead of the 79-04.

Quote:
cant do much with unibody that hasnt been done but change around the overall size.
See above. Also see other manufacturers suchs as BMW and Mercedes who make unibody cars with unparalleled handling and ride quality.

Quote:
displacement means jack **** in todays world
Nope. Wrong. Displacement always means something. You're saying that a .1 L motor with a blower would be fast. No. It wouldn't be. The more displacement you have, the more potential you have. End of story.

Quote:
btw IRS is awesome to launch on the street.
Now you are just getting delusional. IRS sucks for launching everywhere, and everyone knows it.

Quote:
and being in my buddies AWD wrx i believe i can outlaunch him as well.
Now you are past delusional.

Quote:
it just hooks up and goes. and broken axles are part of playing the game at 600hp/600tq.
In a way. Too bad stock 03s have broken halfshafts.

Quote:
plus coming around corners in 2nd and just mashing it, instead of throwing the *** out like the GT would do, the whole rear end just squats and sticks and flings me up and out of the corner.
Maybe you're experiencing a lack of torque. Check your plugs and wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin
I figure an 11.8 in mine as it sits right now with the same driver
There has already been a stock GT500 run a 12.2. I repeat, there has already been a stock GT500 run a 12.2. A GT500 will be quicker than an 03 Cobra with the same mods any day. Yes, right now the GT500 is more difficult to mod, mainly because of the blower snout design. But do you really think that will be the case for long?

Just wait until you see aftermarket blowers start coming out for them and there are cars making 800+ rwhp on stock bottom ends and pump gas. Do you realize how ridiculous that is?

Don't get me wrong guys. I honestly wouldn't buy a GT500. I would buy a 2003-2004 Cobra. In fact, I really wish I would have gotten one instead of my 06. But I'm sick of seeing everyone bash the GT500 for no damn good reason at all. And it seems like 03-04 Cobra owners are the worst of all.

A stock GT500 being faster than a stock 03-04 Cobra does not make your dick any smaller. A GT500 owner is not going to steal your girlfriend. You don't have to continuously beat a dead horse. Sit in your Cobras, masterbate, and move on with your lives.

Scary stuff.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:00 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

Quote:
Don't get me wrong guys. I honestly wouldn't buy a GT500. I would buy a 2003-2004 Cobra. In fact, I really wish I would have gotten one instead of my 06. But I'm sick of seeing everyone bash the GT500 for no damn good reason at all. And it seems like 03-04 Cobra owners are the worst of all.

A stock GT500 being faster than a stock 03-04 Cobra does not make your dick any smaller. A GT500 owner is not going to steal your girlfriend. You don't have to continuously beat a dead horse. Sit in your Cobras, masterbate, and move on with your lives.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #18
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
There has already been a stock GT500 run a 12.2. I repeat, there has already been a stock GT500 run a 12.2. A GT500 will be quicker than an 03 Cobra with the same mods any day. Yes, right now the GT500 is more difficult to mod, mainly because of the blower snout design. But do you really think that will be the case for long?
I know there has...with Evan whatever driving who also pulled a 12.4 in a stock 03 cobra.

In the custom tuned 07 GT500 here in town drivin by the same person that runs his N/A 342 rwhp 95 Cobra to consistent 11.5's and says my 452 rwhp cobra pulls a lot harder than both his car and the custom tuned GT500 ran a 12.6.

The point is, they have no bang. They have an engine. That's it. No style. No "don't funk with me" aura about it. Maybe it will develop the "aura", but it will never truly dethrone the terminator.

No, I am off to my terminator to jerk off and hope my g/f doesn't run off in a gt500...:buff: :yank:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar