Got to drive a GT500 tonight - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-06-2006, 11:38 PM   #1
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Got to drive a GT500 tonight

Well, I went over to Stang Hi to watch and video dyno tuning the Ford GT that just received a Kenne Bell snout (see follow up thread for video and pics). A food run was needed, so I asked the dude if I could ride with him. He says, here, why don't you drive yourself. So, I got to take his car a couple miles to Canes. Was nice. Felt no different than a GT. It certainly didn't feel like a car that has put down 485 to the wheels.

All in all, it isn't bad. The clutch is just tits. The ride is family car smooth compared to mine. The power seemed very lacking though.

Anyhow, here are some terrible pics from the parking lot of our cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	15087   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	15088  

Name:	IMG_0015.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	467.2 KB
ID:	15089   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	473.0 KB
ID:	15090  

Name:	IMG_0018.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	15091  
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2006, 11:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Got to drive a GT500 tonight

i thought you were talkin about the ford gt.................anyway, sweet
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:54 PM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
i thought you were talkin about the ford gt.................anyway, sweet
Videos...yes...test driving, GT500. Dude just handed over the keys...I wasn't going to argue. lol
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2006, 12:08 AM   #4
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Sweet deal. I would love to ride in one.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

:phat: So has this changed your mind on which you like better.

:damnit: Why can't people hand me the keys to bad *** cars. I'm lucky if I get to drive my homeboys 89 LX.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:49 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Damn !! Wish I got a chance to drive one

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:42 AM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
:phat: So has this changed your mind on which you like better.

:damnit: Why can't people hand me the keys to bad *** cars. I'm lucky if I get to drive my homeboys 89 LX.
No, it felt like a slug. I got on it a couple times and it didn't pull nearly as hard as my car. It felt like I was waiting for the hit that never came.

However, the ride is great and the clutch is great. The power, even tuned to 485 rwhp, just didn't seem to be there for me. I felt very good getting into my car afterwards and checking out the difference in feel.

He wants to ride in mine...I just hope it doesn't depress him too much when it pulls.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

haha that right there is great. Poor guy hes gonna kick himself for not investing to the real pride and joy of Ford the damn cobra

Lucky though ive yet to actually see a GT500 yet around here *sigh* damn poor bastards
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:59 AM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

^^^ The best part is he ran a 12.02 in it this past weekend (might have been a 12.2, but pretty sure it was a 12.02) when his previous best was 12.4. I figure if he is running 12.0-12.2 in it, mine should definitely have a sub 12 in it without me behind the wheel because it really does feel much stronger. IT just hits a lot harder and pulls...whether in boost or not.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:33 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ha man its sad to say ive yet to be impressed by this car i knew it was gonna be a dud the day i seen it in person at last years Detriot Auto show.

Sucks but hell hopefully more people keep buying the Gt500 so i can get one me a cobra this summer
Old 11-07-2006, 09:24 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin View Post
The ride is family car smooth compared to mine. The power seemed very lacking though.
Quote:
No, it felt like a slug. I got on it a couple times and it didn't pull nearly as hard as my car. It felt like I was waiting for the hit that never came.
Quote:
The power, even tuned to 485 rwhp, just didn't seem to be there for me. I felt very good getting into my car afterwards and checking out the difference in feel.

He wants to ride in mine...I just hope it doesn't depress him too much when it pulls.
first hand accounts from a driver from the terminator camp.

poor guy is gonna cry when he gets in a Cobra. Let him drive yours for a bit, so he knows how a real car feels like, before ford and shelby get their grubby hands on it.

i bet solid rear was alot crappier during launching on the street compared to IRS? 450ft/lbs of torque must suck on any surface other than glass smooth, the rear must skip over everything. ill never go back to solid rear just like ill never go back to fwd.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post

i bet solid rear was alot crappier during launching on the street compared to IRS? 450ft/lbs of torque must suck on any surface other than glass smooth, the rear must skip over everything. ill never go back to solid rear just like ill never go back to fwd.
It didn't launch as hard as mine so it wasn't a problem. I didn't do a clutch drop or anything, but I got rolling a little like I do in my car and floored it. In my car, the tires go up immediately...in this one, it just kind of started going forward, but not in a "plant you in your seat" manner like mine would on dry pavement.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:

poor guy is gonna cry when he gets in a Cobra. Let him drive yours for a bit, so he knows how a real car feels like, before ford and shelby get their grubby hands on it.

Go run a 12.02 in your car and then come back and talk. Maybe then somebody will actually listen.

Until you do... his car (and by "car", I mean the combo of the car and the driver) is faster than yours.

Besides, I'm sure the "poor" guy is really gonna cry from riding in a car that retails for $20,000 less (not taking into account the current market value due to dealer mark-ups), is four years older, is on a chassis that is 26 years older, and is slower than his. How "hard" something pulls means jack ****. Speed is a simple measure of distance over time. As soon one of you covers a quarter of a mile in less than his 12.02 seconds... congratulations. You now have the faster car.

Until then, don't worry. We don't sit around and wonder how big your dicks are, much less measure them by how fast your car is.

I'm sick of seeing people rip on the GT500 non-stop. There is one thing, and one thing only, wrong with the car. It weighs too much. That being said, anyone driving around a 3700 lb car has absolutely no room to be hating on a car because it weighs too much. Buy a Miata, a Civic Hatch, or hell... a fox coupe. Then ***** about how much it weighs.

That's like being a 300 lb lard *** and making fun of somebody who weighs 500 lbs for being so fat...

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:57 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
Go run a 12.02 in your car and then come back and talk. Maybe then somebody will actually listen.

Until you do... his car (and by "car", I mean the combo of the car and the driver) is faster than yours.

Besides, I'm sure the "poor" guy is really gonna cry from riding in a car that retails for $20,000 less (not taking into account the current market value due to dealer mark-ups), is four years older, is on a chassis that is 26 years older, and is slower than his. How "hard" something pulls means jack ****. Speed is a simple measure of distance over time. As soon one of you covers a quarter of a mile in less than his 12.02 seconds... congratulations. You now have the faster car.

Until then, don't worry. We don't sit around and wonder how big your dicks are, much less measure them by how fast your car is.

I'm sick of seeing people rip on the GT500 non-stop. There is one thing, and one thing only, wrong with the car. It weighs too much. That being said, anyone driving around a 3700 lb car has absolutely no room to be hating on a car because it weighs too much. Buy a Miata, a Civic Hatch, or hell... a fox coupe. Then ***** about how much it weighs.

That's like being a 300 lb lard *** and making fun of somebody who weighs 500 lbs for being so fat...
:patriot: I agree.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:32 PM   #15
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Actually, I gave it some props...it just doesn't feel fast at all to me. It feels cumbersome and lethargic.

Oh well...I can now say I have driven both and well...ride quality is very much improved, but power feels better in my car.

And yes...the guy might get upset...since he was grilling my g/f on how fast my car feels and whether she thinks it is faster than his...blah blah blah.

None the less...it is what it is...and I am glad I didn't exercise my powerlease option.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Of course I don't now from experience, but maybe one reason it feels slow to you is because the car has a wide powerband. From watching video of the car the engine seems like it take a long to reach its redline, and doesn't demand to be driven as hard or upshift as much as other cars. Again this is just a guess on my part, but watching video of the car that is how it seem to make its power. It especially seem dull on video because the car is so quit.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:05 AM   #17
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama

Bbunt is my hero.... ex eclipse drivers... i dunno man...
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:13 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

poor baby. i think you are the only one who backs them up. then again, you have a 05+. probably why.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:16 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8r View Post
Bbunt is my hero.... ex eclipse drivers... i dunno man...
coming from a jeep owner?

when you drive something that has the power to literally pull you off the road in the top of 3rd, then come talk.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:22 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
poor baby. i think you are the only one who backs them up. then again, you have a 05+. probably why.
Uh... I may have an 05+, but I'm still not the biggest fan of them in the world. I bought one because I wanted a new car. I probably should have went with the 03 Cobra like I originally planned, because they are freaking awesome cars.

However... they are not that awesome. I mean come on... a 360+ rwhp car that has a hard time running mid 12's??? Sounds like a Honda to me, or maybe an Eclipse...

The 03-04 Cobras are just as ridiculously overweight as the 07 GT500s. Just like my 06 GT is ridiculously overweight.

And I honestly don't care if I'm the only mother****er in this world that backs them up. All that would mean is that I'm the only mother****er in this world who isn't a complete ****ing moron. Thankfully, that's not the case.

At least Smufin is smart enough to give the car props where they are due, rather than bashing the entire car like a 12 year old.

Quote:
when you drive something that has the power to literally pull you off the road in the top of 3rd, then come talk.
That just sounded gay. If a near stock 03 Cobra has "the power to literally pull you off the road in the top of 3rd", you really need to either go to driving school or to see a psychiatrist.

I'd recommend the psychiatrist.

Scary stuff.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:52 AM   #21
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

^^ Just for the record...a GT500 has 500 hp stock (~440 rwhp) and can only hit mid 12s with good drivers....sounds worse to me :dunno:

Either way...the car lived up to its rep in everything but the wow factor where wow = looks and power. With some tweaks, I know it can regain the power wow. Ford built this car up to be amazing with the concept, and then dropped the ball and cut corner after corner from small things like hood designs to big things like weaker than 03/04 internals and changing the S/C.

None the less...I drove it...wasn't impressed with the power....I can now move on knowing both sides of the story. Maybe one day I will ride in one that has been modded and does impress me. However, by the time that happens, it better bring everything right down to the kitchen sink because I will be at 600+ rwhp and won't be easily impressed.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

The only issues I have with the GT500 is that it is to heavy (just like 03/04 cobras and mach 1's etc) and that its a let down in the style department (nice but it could have been MUCH nicer) and finally that ford is letting dealerships charge WAY to much for it.

You must also remember that smufin's car has nearly 100rwhp/100rwtq over a stock 03/04 cobra so that the comparison is not valid stock/stock or what not~ and for the 03/04 cobra running mid/high 12s in 2003 and a 2007 model doing only slightly better its kind of a let down as well after all the hype that surrounded the car.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:45 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I back it up, and I don't even own a Mustang that was made in the past 3 decades. I am just tired of bigheaded 03/04 cobra owners turning into srt4 owners. Nitpicking every little thing about a car to justify that they are better than it when the other car is actually faster, even if the other car is just slightly faster. Which, in a way, is even more pathetic because they care so much about a car thats a fraction of a second faster than them on paper.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
That just sounded gay. If a near stock 03 Cobra has "the power to literally pull you off the road in the top of 3rd", you really need to either go to driving school or to see a psychiatrist.
didnt say i was talking about the cobra now did I? Reasons for selling 400hp+ fwd vehicles was because they tried to pull me into a ditch at 110 during a tuning session. The cobra stays in a nice straight line.

Quote:
^^ Just for the record...a GT500 has 500 hp stock (~440 rwhp) and can only hit mid 12s with good drivers....sounds worse to me :dunno:
thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64 View Post
I back it up, and I don't even own a Mustang that was made in the past 3 decades. I am just tired of bigheaded 03/04 cobra owners turning into srt4 owners. Nitpicking every little thing about a car to justify that they are better than it when the other car is actually faster, even if the other car is just slightly faster. Which, in a way, is even more pathetic because they care so much about a car thats a fraction of a second faster than them on paper.
but its NOT faster. thats the point. we have almost 100hp less and run the same times!

big-headed just comes with the territory. i guess thats what happens when the only cars you have to worry about are fully-fledged drag cars, 1000hp supras (unless youre in cali, which you wont ever see one driving on the streets because theyd get pulled over turning out of their driveway and insta-reffed) and hyabusas. my friends hate it because i paid the same amount for my cobra as they did for their cars, mine is newer, and they could mod theirs to hell and high water and STILL maybe keep up, till 3rd, and i would still have just your everyday cobra pulley swap n tune. its funny when youre pricing out setups for your buddies because you want to see how much it takes for one of them to win.

maybe it tells you something about a car when cobra owners are like "Thats it?" its different for people who have not experienced that sort of power to just hail it as uber awesome, because they have nothing to reference that feel to. but when you drive with that power everyday and get accustomed to it, and then you get in a 60k+ car with 100hp/100tq more and the only compliment you can say is "well, at least it looks fast :dunno:" then you should kinda start to wonder, is it really that good of a car?

i think this should be moved to the thunderdome. its about to get Heated! w00t. gotta mke use of that forum somehow.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

psh im not even a cobra owner and since day one i been saying that GT500 was gonna be a joke and thats exactly what it has become.

Dont get me wrong the motor minus that its got cheap internals is bad *** but styling is one big steaming pile of crap. That cheap black piece that goes around the whole car whats up wit that. Not a fan wont be a fan.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:52 AM   #26
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
coming from a jeep owner?

I'll talk to you right now, I don't need to drive something with power. I love my jeep, I will take one ANY DAY over any mustang. I don't have this NEED to have some fast *** car so I can feel good about myself. If I could afford one, yeah, I'd love to have one, but it would be after I already had a jeep. I am not saying that ALL fast car drivers are like that, but sometimes it just seems that you are so quick to bash other cars because they aren't the God's-gift-to-speed Terminators. We get it, you drive fast cars. Doesn't make you cool in my book, but if it does in others, good for you.

Back to the real talk. Between the 2, I would still take the GT500 over the Cobra, and here is why. I like the styling better, I like the newer chassis and all the other new stuff, and I like the solid rear. Sure, solid rear might be old tech, but in that aspect, I will always like the solid rear. Sure, it may be heavier, I don't care, weight can be shaved, its not like I am going to race the thing all the time. I buy a car because I like it, not because its the fasted son of a ***** ever.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:54 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

:pop2:
Old 11-08-2006, 12:03 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

In the end the main reason people who own 03/04 cobras are bashing the GT500 is it could have been MUCH more... When the 03/04 cobra came out it did what the GT500 can barly out do and it came out back in 2002.... this is 5 years later.... I think ford had bigger plans for it but with all the crap they have gone through we are lucky there is even a cobra model available. It has many short commings but... so did the 03/04 cobra and so does any mustang. And on top of all this ford seemed to go out of their way to keep the GT500 from being super easy to modify.

Also note that the GT500 is embarased by a base model C6 vette... it should be on par with the new Z06 and its FAR FAR away from that... not saying that the GT500 should be compared to the Z06 but many do this sort of a comparison as the last generation cobra wasnt to far off from the previous generation Z06's
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:12 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
i guess thats what happens when the only cars you have to worry about are fully-fledged drag cars
I'm just curious, but do you ever hang out with mustang guys or just riceboys? I've seen many many Mustangs, Camaros, and Firebirds that could easily beat a bolt-on cobra that get driven on a daily basis. True Street is stocked full of 9, 10, and 11 second daily drivers. Hell, there is a pro driver in Atlanta that drives a 1300 hp twin turbo fox coupe to work everyday. Granted, it probably gets the gas mileage of a rail car at 8000 rpm.

Quote:
big-headed just comes with the territory
Just because you have a fast car doesn't mean you have to be a prick. I know a guy with a KB 03 Cobra that beats most cars he lines up against at Carolina and he is the most humble man I know.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:21 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hell, there is a pro driver in Atlanta that drives a 1300 hp twin turbo fox coupe to work everyday. Granted, it probably gets the gas mileage of a rail car at 8000 rpm.
:drool: any pics of said fox cause that right there is like a dream of mine haha maybe not 1300 hp but close enough mmhms
Old 11-08-2006, 02:31 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

it was in a MM&FF last year after FFW in Atlanta, I'll look next time I am home
Old 11-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I'm just curious, but do you ever hang out with mustang guys or just riceboys? I've seen many many Mustangs, Camaros, and Firebirds that could easily beat a bolt-on cobra that get driven on a daily basis.
If they decide to show up. One meet we had 3 vettes, 2 h/c/i Camaros. all of the other V8 guys in this area are kinda strange. The one cool guy on the local forum has a 05 GT with the saleen supercharger and is getting ****loads of other stuff done, but he has a older dodge shelby thingie (the little 4banger cars) so thats probably why he gets along with all my friends, hes not like "oh its a 4banger it cant be fast" or such like all the other guys i met were. I even met a guy who I prevously whooped on in my GST with his black StageII saleen who said dsm's were **** and he takes them all the time, he got real quiet after i let him know i was the Grey Spyder who ate him alive on the freeway with the top down.

funny how my friends are automatically considered riceboys, though most of them are running 300-350hp range, only external mods are some rims (and thats only on my buddies srt4 cause he wanted to run wider tires), and all are well taken care of, and just one of them knows more about cars and modding than any of the V8 guys that came to the meet combined.

and you gotta remember, im in cali. the chances of meeting up with a modded car that could give me a run are slim to none. and if i did, it would prolly because i already knew them or theyre from another forum/site at a meet, so its not like id be suprised.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:36 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
but its NOT faster. thats the point. we have almost 100hp less and run the same times!
Yes, they are faster. Not by much, but they are.

Quote:
big-headed just comes with the territory.
No, big-headed comes with you being a ******.

Quote:
i guess thats what happens when the only cars you have to worry about are fully-fledged drag cars
Really? I happen to know of a "fully-fledged" street car that would hand you your ***. I'm usually not one to talk ****, unless it's to people who deserve it. So I'll give you a hint: I drove it to work this morning.

Quote:
my friends hate it because i paid the same amount for my cobra as they did for their cars, mine is newer, and they could mod theirs to hell and high water and STILL maybe keep up, till 3rd, and i would still have just your everyday cobra pulley swap n tune. its funny when youre pricing out setups for your buddies because you want to see how much it takes for one of them to win.
No, what's really funny is when someone goes out and spends around 25 G's on a car that is pretty fast stock and someone else has already done some modifications to. Then they run around talking like their **** don't stink just because they spent a little bit of bank that they never really could afford to spend in the first place. It's not like you built it from the ground up or have done anything to the car to really be proud of. You wrote a check and got a fast car. Whoop-tee-****in'-doo.

Besides, an 03 Cobra is not the pinnacle of cheap performance. Mods for them are ridiculously expensive. $600+ for a catback? Give me a ****in' break. Your friends are obviously idiots who buy overpriced, underperforming vehicles and then try to turn them into "high performance" vehicles.

Quote:
maybe it tells you something about a car when cobra owners are like "Thats it?" its different for people who have not experienced that sort of power to just hail it as uber awesome, because they have nothing to reference that feel to. but when you drive with that power everyday and get accustomed to it, and then you get in a 60k+ car with 100hp/100tq more and the only compliment you can say is "well, at least it looks fast :dunno:" then you should kinda start to wonder, is it really that good of a car?
You're right. I wonder that everytime I've rode in an 03 Cobra, I have thought to myself: "It has nearly 100 hp/tq more than mine... yet it's slower. Is it really that good of a car? I dunno... it sure as hell looks fast though." That's mostly just sarcasm BTW because I'd love to have a Terminator.

But still, as I said before... the Terminator is not the cheapest option out there for a fast car. In fact, it's pretty damn expensive. BTW, the GT500 is not a 60k+ car. I don't know how many times we have to go over this... or why I'm even mentioning it. So I'll just leave it at that.

Quote:
i think this should be moved to the thunderdome. its about to get Heated! w00t. gotta mke use of that forum somehow.
Now that I can agree with.

Scary stuff.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:14 PM   #34
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Besides, an 03 Cobra is not the pinnacle of cheap performance. Mods for them are ridiculously expensive. $600+ for a catback? Give me a ****in' break. Your friends are obviously idiots who buy overpriced, underperforming vehicles and then try to turn them into "high performance" vehicles.
Just to stir the pot a little...cat backs can be found for cheap just like they can for fox's. Chokemasters and some others are only ~$200...then you get to the big name ones like my borla ($575) that are the $600+...just like they would be for fox's if they exist for them. My x-pipe was only $169 and my CAI was $125. My pulley was $125. My 4 idlers were ~$250. My tuner and dyno tune were $250 and $125 respectively. All in all, I have a total of ~$1500 into my car in performance mods (if you count the idlers as perf mods)...well worth it for ~100 more rwhp and ~125 more rwtq. (Assuming a stock dyno of 350/350...of which I didn't dyno stock).

None the less, none of the power mods are expensive until you move into the upgraded super charger or turbos and when you start rooting around inside the engine. Then it gets pricey. Hell, a port is only $595 which will put you over 500 rwhp with my current mods....so power can be had for very cheap.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:08 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Really? I happen to know of a "fully-fledged" street car that would hand you your ***. I'm usually not one to talk ****, unless it's to people who deserve it. So I'll give you a hint: I drove it to work this morning.
really? can you drive it into a smog shop and get it smogged and pass visual in cali? didnt think so.

Quote:
No, what's really funny is when someone goes out and spends around 25 G's on a car that is pretty fast stock and someone else has already done some modifications to. Then they run around talking like their **** don't stink just because they spent a little bit of bank that they never really could afford to spend in the first place. It's not like you built it from the ground up or have done anything to the car to really be proud of. You wrote a check and got a fast car. Whoop-tee-****in'-doo.
first off, 22k. second off, what do you mean never could afford to spend in the first place? cause its financed? i could have just as well done all the stuff to the GT and made it just as fast as the cobra, but in the end i would be spending more(forged block, blower, heads/cams, tranny, you do the math) and id maybe be at the point performance wise i am now in the cobra with just a pulley/tune/tb/rai/catback, in a car that is still only worth 12K at the most.

and no, i havent got around to doing any mods yet, its pretty much how i would have it performance wise, and like i said, living in cali, its pretty much all i need unless something thats totally not street legal comes my way. youre partly onto something, about talking **** in a car i havent done any wrench time in yet, but when you find a cobra for 6k under bluebook in your area and it already basically has the boltons you wouldve done anyway, you dont pass it up.

Quote:
its not like its expensive performance either. pulleys are cheap. you dont have to get the brand name catbacks, id just as soon go to a muffler shop and have them make my catback with me just supplying a muffler of my choice.

and my friends drive overpriced underperforming vehicles. youre a ****tard. i guess its their fault they like buying new cars huh. i dont think id call a STi or a SRT4 underperforming, when for the same price, theyre both better performers than most cars more expensive then them. id like to see your 05 try to keep up with them. then theres my buddies 97 GST, he bought that **** brand new, and up until my cobra, it was our best car in the bunch.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar