So I put my cc plates and lowering springs on and Now Im Pissed - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-11-2006, 01:46 PM   #71
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: So I put my cc plates and lowering springs on and Now Im Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
My struts come absolutely no higher than they did in stock form. I did all the staright edge thing across the towers etc. They look like they come out higher because of how theyre designed and how the stock ones are such pieces of ****. Thats not a problem with the plates install. Its the hood and Ill stand by that. Look at the TINY knotches that are in her underside of the hood to allow those towers to come into. If I had my car here with me Id go take a picture of how deep mine are, so Im saying its the hood and will continue to believe that regardless of what you might think. Ive had first hand installation experience with these things, and after trying all sorts of spacer configurations, they always ended up the same way. When i had 3 spacers underneath and 1 on top, that just made a huge gap between the strut nut and the spacer. Its the hood, plain and simple
But the whole point is they did not hit the hood before installing the c/c plates. After installing the c/c plates you can adjust the struts to where they are at stock height, hence...not hitting the hood. This is what bbunt is trying to say.

Point is, they could have adjusted the c/c plates to where the strut did not hit the hood if it didn't hit it before installing the c/c plates.\

It may be they messed up installing them to the point where they are not even placed correctly. I'm with bbunt, if they didn't hit the hood before, there is no reason for them to hit it now.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #72
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
But the whole point is they did not hit the hood before installing the c/c plates. After installing the c/c plates you can adjust the struts to where they are at stock height, hence...not hitting the hood. This is what bbunt is trying to say.

Point is, they could have adjusted the c/c plates to where the strut did not hit the hood if it didn't hit it before installing the c/c plates.
If she used the stock shocks/struts after the car is lowered, the things WILL come up higher. That whole spacer system MM has is the most fubared thing Ive ever tried to deal with.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #73
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Have you ever installed a set of these or even looked at some? The strut position DID NOT CHANGE no matter how I configured the spacers. It just didnt. Not to mention when you get to the part where it TRIES to explain the whole spacer thing, the instructions are the most unclear things Ive ever read.

ITS NOT THE PLATES, IT IS THE HOOD. If its the plates, why didnt both struts hit the hood? The spacers are exactly the same so they should be in the exact same place on the hood right? NO, the hood is either different from each side from the fiberglass mold or the indents for the strut towers are not deep enough. My vote goes for both.
You are acting foolish. I have installed two sets of these. They DO change the position of the strut. Maximum Motorsports has some of the best instructions I have ever seen for aftermarket parts. They are very clear and thorough. Some of us may, however, not have the ability to read and understand them apparently.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2006, 01:50 PM   #74
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Brent, or anyone else.... would you PLEASE go take a picture of the underside of your stock hood where those strut posts are able to be recessed into? Youll see theres a huge difference from those and her AFTERMARKET hood. These plates are designed to work with a stock hood mind you.

I like toys
Old 11-11-2006, 01:51 PM   #75
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
Some of us may, however, not have the ability to read and understand them apparently.
**** off.

I like toys
Old 11-11-2006, 01:53 PM   #76
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

So how can you explain that myself, Brent, and her all have them installed the EXACT SAME WAY. Yet myself and brent dont have any clearance problems with our stock hoods, but her aftermarket hood DOES have clearance problems?

I guess we just got lucky huh...

I like toys
Old 11-11-2006, 01:57 PM   #77
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
**** off.
That's mature.

Try reading the instructions I posted. You are making yourself look like an idiot.

Scary stuff.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:04 PM   #78
Legacy Member
Legacy

Look, here's a few pictures of a factory hood and a picture of where my struts sit at height wise. I still believe they could adjust it to not hit the hood IF it did not hit the hood before the install.
Our's:
Old 11-11-2006, 02:04 PM   #79
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Quote:
That's mature.

Try reading the instructions I posted. You are making yourself look like an idiot.
Dont tell me I cant understand something that clearly is hard to decipher. So what configuration makes the strut shaft lower? What makes it higher? Ive read what you posted, and read it originally with the instructions that came with the plates. For someone that wouldnt have done something like this before those instructions ARE NOT CLEAR. They dont give any specifics... only "if its not 1/8th" clearance, change the spacers". Ok fine, now how should I configure the spacers? I just says change them, move them under and on top, etc. Nowhere does it say how to allow more clearance with specific directions on putting more spacers below, or more above. It doesnt tell you any of that ****, so yes, it is unclear. Sorry everyone doesnt have the magical brainpowers to figure out wtf they wanted to say, but didnt say.

So since you know all, and that its definitely the spacers... explain this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim
So how can you explain that myself, Brent, and her all have them installed the EXACT SAME WAY. Yet myself and brent dont have any clearance problems with our stock hoods, but her aftermarket hood DOES have clearance problems?

I guess we just got lucky huh...

And no, Im not making myself look like an idiot. Im speaking from my personal experience which worked out just fine with a stock hood. Why does it make me an idiot that I suggest its the hood not having a deep enough indent to accommodate the strut shaft? No way it could EVER be an aftermarket hood problem... oh god no, never

I like toys
Old 11-11-2006, 02:05 PM   #80
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Quote:
Look, here's a few pictures of a factory hood and a picture of where my struts sit at height wise. I still believe they could adjust it to not hit the hood IF it did not hit the hood before the install.

HOLY ****.. A 3rd WITH THE SAME CONFIGURATION OF SPACERS BBUNT, AND ITS A STOCK HOOD!!! IMAGINE THAT!!

No problems I presume brad? Must still be coincidence.. that or you got lucky too.

I like toys
Old 11-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

The spacers are used to raise/lower the strut shaft so that it allows the correct amount of travel (how much of the strut shaft goes in/out of the strut housing). If you bolt it up so barly any of the strut is poking out of the top of the CC plate (so more of the strut shaft is inside of the strut housing) then its not working like designed. When you lower the car (with out touching the stock CC plates) the strut shaft has no place to go but down inside the strut housing (it cant go up any as its bolted down to the CC plates)

You can only lower the car so much though with out having to simply sacrifice the fact that you cant not raise the end of the strut shaft enough to compensate for it~ so you can swap to a new sturt or suck it up. The stock hood allows for more of the strut to come up that in the description states in the MM instructions~

The spacers are used to raise the strut shaft so the same amount is inside of the strut housing before the car was lowered. If you think about it it will start to click. MM has good instructions (far superior to any other out there I have ever installed/seen) so just follow them and double check as you lower the hood slowly and your good to go. Its not the end of the world if you have all the spacers like that~ it really wont destroy anything~ if you ever have them out (installing new struts/shocks) or what not you can use the instructions (which are downloadable) and recheck it... as it is now you have NO idea how much of the strut shaft that they cut off so you can not determine how to install them correctly as it is.

Basically its done, they clear, dont worry its not that big of a deal (the damage is done via the scratch) so dont lose sleep over it. Just double check the TQ specifications on the CC bolts (they should NOT be to tight so check them after 50 miles of drivinga and again next oil change!!!!) and you are good to go.

Working on those CC plates is super easy~ if you have not gotten an alignment get one (dont just put it to stock specifications put it to what will make the tires wear best) so take advantage of those CC plates. Get a print out so you can compare wear patterns to previous settings and alter them as needed (I align 2 times a year if I notice tire wear issues else once a year just to make sure and inspect the suspension~)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:10 PM   #82
Legacy Member
Legacy

Look in her picture and see where the strut was hitting the hood. It's not even in the space it's supposed to be.
Our's:
Old 11-11-2006, 02:13 PM   #83
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Quote:
Look in her picture and see where the strut was hitting the hood. It's not even in the space it's supposed to be.
No kiddin lol... "but thats the spacers fault" :no:

I like toys
Old 11-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #84
Legacy Member
Legacy

Riden, here are some pics of my C/C plates so you can see what I'm talking about. My hood would not clear either with the 2 on top / 2 on bottom configuration. This was also back when I had a stock (red at that) hood.

As you can, the only spacer I have above the bearing is one of the small spacers. There are two of the big ones and a small one below. I had to play around with it some to get it to the correct height. Unfortunately... you won't be able to measure where it was with the stock plates, so it will just take some trial and error to get the right spacer configuration to clear the hood.

I'm sorry the pics are ****ty quality, but I don't have a digi cam and had to use my phone.

I obviously don't have the steadiest hand in the world either.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention, you need to keep at least one small spacer above the bearing. If it still won't clear then, you may have to do something about the hood. But if it cleared the stock plates, there should be no reason it won't clear these. Just moving the big spacers on each side from the top to the bottom will give you another 1/2" of clearance, which should be all you need.

Also, here's a link to the full instructions in case you need them: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/co...cd460f3abc8317
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cc_plates1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	15169   Click image for larger version

Name:	cc_plates2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	15170  

Scary stuff.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:24 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Ok so New Problem......... Uggghhh Im Getting very tired of all this crap. So Im riding around today, when I make a turn in the drive thru ar a restuarant, when All of a sudden I here this nasty popping sound when I turned left. Again I went and made a U-turn Left, and Heard it again. What the hec is it?

One wicked 03 GT FOBRA
ridenmystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #86
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenmystang View Post
Ok so New Problem......... Uggghhh Im Getting very tired of all this crap. So Im riding around today, when I make a turn in the drive thru ar a restuarant, when All of a sudden I here this nasty popping sound when I turned left. Again I went and made a U-turn Left, and Heard it again. What the hec is it?
First thing monday morning get your car into a good shop. If you don't know of any carry it to the closest reputable ford dealership and have them check everything very well. Just keep track of all your costs including time off work/time spend working on it and add that to the case against the shop.
Our's:
Old 11-11-2006, 05:27 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like your springs are popping. May be loose.

2003 Mustang V6 Vert with a Flowmaster Super 40 series dual exhaust
I'm not a target in the sights of your mercy. I've never asked for anything. I'm not asking now.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #88
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

That nut on the top of the strut shaft might not be tight enough... if its not the nut will move and cause a popping sound. Have your dad hook it up to air tools and tighten that nut up, make sure its nice and snug.

I like toys
Old 11-11-2006, 07:20 PM   #89
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

dam i thought the Cobra VS GT500 thread got heated at moments.............

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:28 PM   #90
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
dam i thought the Cobra VS GT500 thread got heated at moments.............
Shhhh...we've moved on lol. The problem is fixed now.
Our's:
Old 11-11-2006, 08:27 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Well its when I turn left that I hear the popping noise. Its like POP POP POP it sounds like its near the passenger wheel. I have no idea what it is. Im taking it to checked monday. Someone suggested an a-arm or bearing I dont kno.

One wicked 03 GT FOBRA
Old 11-11-2006, 08:31 PM   #92
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Its not your tire rubbing on anything is it?

I like toys
Old 11-11-2006, 09:36 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

No its not my tire

One wicked 03 GT FOBRA
Old 11-11-2006, 10:18 PM   #94
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

on my old car if I turned sharp now and again i would bump my front sway bar, if you have done it a couple times you can see a shinny place on it where you rub it with your tire.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:19 PM   #95
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

i was going to guess it was your tire rubbing, making the pop sound. Mine does that at full lock, so i don't lock...but i guess not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:50 PM   #96
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Well I installed my MM's and they are the same as everyone elses. Like I said my UPR's hit the hood though my MM's dont but like I said I shaved maybe a 32nd off the tip of the strut whan I had UPR's.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:54 PM   #97
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Riden, here are some pics of my C/C plates so you can see what I'm talking about. My hood would not clear either with the 2 on top / 2 on bottom configuration. This was also back when I had a stock (red at that) hood.

As you can, the only spacer I have above the bearing is one of the small spacers. There are two of the big ones and a small one below. I had to play around with it some to get it to the correct height. Unfortunately... you won't be able to measure where it was with the stock plates, so it will just take some trial and error to get the right spacer configuration to clear the hood.

I'm sorry the pics are ****ty quality, but I don't have a digi cam and had to use my phone.

I obviously don't have the steadiest hand in the world either.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention, you need to keep at least one small spacer above the bearing. If it still won't clear then, you may have to do something about the hood. But if it cleared the stock plates, there should be no reason it won't clear these. Just moving the big spacers on each side from the top to the bottom will give you another 1/2" of clearance, which should be all you need.

Also, here's a link to the full instructions in case you need them: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/co...cd460f3abc8317
Dude The instruction show that none of the peole on this site have them wrong. You my friend need to limit your drink to at least 3 drinks from where you are right now cause your judgement and vision is being impaired.

Say no to 15 drinks!!!
Old 11-12-2006, 12:25 AM   #98
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude View Post
Dude The instruction show that none of the peole on this site have them wrong. You my friend need to limit your drink to at least 3 drinks from where you are right now cause your judgement and vision is being impaired.

Say no to 15 drinks!!!
And you my friend also do not know what you are talking about.

Read them again.

They say if you do not have proper clearance, to adjust them. What the **** is so complicated about that?

Scary stuff.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:31 AM   #99
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
And you my friend also do not know what you are talking about.

Read them again.

They say if you do not have proper clearance, to adjust them. What the **** is so complicated about that?
Look dont get a attitude with me I have been building cars and aircraft longer than your drunk *** has been able to walk. I write Work instructions for a living so dont make me out lto be a dumbass. I follow instruction and you need to find a place to take a cold shower and a hot pot of coffee and somber up before you want to take me on in the maintenance department Kojack!!!
Old 11-12-2006, 12:34 AM   #100
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Look dont get a attitude with me I have been building cars and aircraft longer than your drunk *** has been able to walk. I write Work instructions for a living so dont make me out lto be a dumbass. I follow instruction and you need to find a place to take a cold shower and a hot pot of coffee and somber up before you want to take me on in the maintenance department Kojack!!!
You write work instructions for a living? Well, congratu****inglations. So do I.

The instructions clearly, CLEARLY, state that if you do you should test hood clearance. If you do not have enough hood clearance, you should move some of the spacers from the top of the bearing to the bottom.

Are you guys really this ****ing stupid? Does it really take a ****ing genious to figure this **** out?

What the **** is up with you guys lately?

Scary stuff.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:36 AM   #101
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
You write work instructions for a living? Well, congratu****inglations. So do I.

The instructions clearly, CLEARLY, state that if you do you should test hood clearance. If you do not have enough hood clearance, you should move some of the spacers from the top of the bearing to the bottom.

Are you guys really this ****ing stupid? Does it really take a ****ing genious to figure this **** out?

What the **** is up with you guys lately?
Well your being a turd.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:54 AM   #102
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Well your being a turd.
I'm sorry... Maybe I did get a little too much of an attitude with you (I have been drinking tonight... heavily... ), but seriously though...

The instructions do indeed say that you should test for hood clearance. They also tell you precisely how to correct the problem if you have any issues (by moving spacers from above the bearing to below). I simply do not see why this is hard to understand. Please forgive me if I am somehow of some sort of superior intellect (which I honestly don't believe I am), but it just seems really simple to me.

Like I said, when I installed the C/C plates on my car, I originally had problems with hood clearance. However, all it took was some simple adjustments of the spacers (as indicated in the instructions) to get rid of all my problems.

Just because some of you guys did not have to adjust the spacers does not mean that someone else will not. Get over it.

I do not understand how anyone could blame this on anything other than poor installation. The directions say specifically to check for hood clearance. Whomever installed them obviously did not.

What do you guys want? Should she get rid of the hood just so she can lower her car?

That seems kind of preposterous to me. Especially when it is not necessary. A simple move of the larger spacers from top to bottom would suffice.

I am honestly sorry if I am coming across as an ***, but I see absolutely no reason that she should be blaming the hood when the install was obviously not done correctly.

Scary stuff.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:00 AM   #103
Legacy Member
Legacy

Just to make sure everyone understands...

I REPEAT:

Quote:
Carefully close the hood to check for interference
between the top of the strut shaft and the hood. You
can check hood clearance by carefully closing the
hood with putty or Play Dough on top of the strut
shaft. The thickness of the smashed putty will indicate
exactly how much hood clearance there is. If hood
clearance is less than 1/8”, reposition the strut shaft
spacers to lower the strut shaft relative to the spherical
bearing. If the hood hits the strut shaft, rearrange
the spacers to lower the strut shaft. This can be
accomplished by moving a spacer from above the
bearing to below the bearing, thus making the spacer
stack below the bearing taller. Repeat this process
until there is adequate hood to strut shaft clearance.
Remember that the hood to strut shaft clearance will
change after the alignment is set. Re-check this hood
clearance after your Mustang is aligned!

Scary stuff.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:30 AM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Sheesh Im sorry guys I didnt kno this was goin to get so heated! I thought I was the one pee'd off haha

One wicked 03 GT FOBRA
Old 11-12-2006, 09:31 AM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Can you feel the love? It's falling over me like a stinky old wet dog.

2003 Mustang V6 Vert with a Flowmaster Super 40 series dual exhaust
I'm not a target in the sights of your mercy. I've never asked for anything. I'm not asking now.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar