We Are Going Back to the Moon and Staying - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
Regular

Region: Tennessee
We Are Going Back to the Moon and Staying

According to this article: FOXNews.com - NASA Says It Plans to Build Permanent Moon Base - Science News | Current Articles

2024 isn't too bad I don't guess

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2006, 08:40 PM   #2
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Re: We Are Going Back to the Moon and Staying

Sounds good to me.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

That's freakin' sweet. It's about time we started doing something like this.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

thats awesome.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Taywi

dude... i wanna go

from old and busted to new hotness
Taywi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

thats pretty awesome right there
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:32 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

Pretty cool!
Old 12-04-2006, 11:57 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

bout ****ing time.

though it wont happen. You know how much money we will have to send to NASA to make it happen? wed have to be fighting zero wars and the economy would have to be perfect with zero debt.

its sad nasa could go to the moon in the 60/70's with technology that was equivalent to most modern 10$ calculators and some sheet metal and insulation, but they cant do it now with the zillions a year they get. they cant even figure out that both shuttles have crashed due to problems with the launching apparatus, so they are scrapping the whole fleet, instead of finding a better launch system for a proven vehicle.

Ive lost my faith in NASA. theyre money sucking bloated bastards.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:31 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Damn Right thats Bad ***!
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:02 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
bout ****ing time.

though it wont happen. You know how much money we will have to send to NASA to make it happen? wed have to be fighting zero wars and the economy would have to be perfect with zero debt.

its sad nasa could go to the moon in the 60/70's with technology that was equivalent to most modern 10$ calculators and some sheet metal and insulation, but they cant do it now with the zillions a year they get. they cant even figure out that both shuttles have crashed due to problems with the launching apparatus, so they are scrapping the whole fleet, instead of finding a better launch system for a proven vehicle.

Ive lost my faith in NASA. theyre money sucking bloated bastards.
NASA, is entirely udnerfunded, the governement does not care about outer space and do not want to send money to them. The best thing that NASA could do is to just go private. Because the gov funding is not cutting it.

The reason they are scrapping the shuttle fleet, is because, oh, I dont know, maybe that they are all 25 years old maybe Before the most recent crash, new shuttles ahd been in R&D for about 5 years.

Do you have any idea the cost of the fuel required for these missions, let alone the sheer amount of fuel needed? And lastly, R&D is the most expensive part of going to space. It's not like we are just taking a trip to grandmother's house for a weekend. For EVERY SINGLE THING NASA DOES, they have to invent new technology because it is all stuff that has neve been done before.

So yeah, tell me again how NASA is overfunded?
Old 12-05-2006, 08:09 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
Boo-yeah! Drop it on 'em, Dark.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:57 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

also... the programmer to QA ratio for nasa is huge, its like 1 programmer to every 8-9 QA people... they test that crap and it takes time and time is quite a bit of money for them.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:01 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
NASA, is entirely udnerfunded, the governement does not care about outer space and do not want to send money to them. The best thing that NASA could do is to just go private. Because the gov funding is not cutting it.

The reason they are scrapping the shuttle fleet, is because, oh, I dont know, maybe that they are all 25 years old maybe Before the most recent crash, new shuttles ahd been in R&D for about 5 years.

Do you have any idea the cost of the fuel required for these missions, let alone the sheer amount of fuel needed? And lastly, R&D is the most expensive part of going to space. It's not like we are just taking a trip to grandmother's house for a weekend. For EVERY SINGLE THING NASA DOES, they have to invent new technology because it is all stuff that has neve been done before.

tell me again why we went to the moon on a lot less money and technology 30 years ago, and it takes billions to do it now? the technology is already there, the only R&D should be a couple engineers to make it all come together and a flight plan.

yes, the shuttle fleet is old. but it still does its job 100% every time, and only fails when the launch aparatus damages it. Tell me, name any other vehicle on the planet earth that can be launched into space, dock with a space station, transfer crew, fly about and let a satellite out, grab one back in, and land safely on a runway and be ready to go again in the matter of weeks?

and yes, fuel is expensive. SRB's are cheap, because unlike the tank, they are re-useable. thus why i believe its the launching aparatus that needs a revamp.

do you know what nasa wants to do next? Capsules. thats a step backwards. capsules can only go where gravity takes them. unlike the shuttle that can modify its flight plan as it sees fit, a capsule cannot.

you can go on believing nasa is underfunded all you want. theyre underfunded because they expect too much and dont show enough for what they do to get public interest up.

I for one cant wait till the day its all private industry.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

Quote:
tell me again why we went to the moon on a lot less money and technology 30 years ago, and it takes billions to do it now? the technology is already there, the only R&D should be a couple engineers to make it all come together and a flight plan.

yes, the shuttle fleet is old. but it still does its job 100% every time, and only fails when the launch aparatus damages it. Tell me, name any other vehicle on the planet earth that can be launched into space, dock with a space station, transfer crew, fly about and let a satellite out, grab one back in, and land safely on a runway and be ready to go again in the matter of weeks?

and yes, fuel is expensive. SRB's are cheap, because unlike the tank, they are re-useable. thus why i believe its the launching aparatus that needs a revamp.

do you know what nasa wants to do next? Capsules. thats a step backwards. capsules can only go where gravity takes them. unlike the shuttle that can modify its flight plan as it sees fit, a capsule cannot.

you can go on believing nasa is underfunded all you want. theyre underfunded because they expect too much and dont show enough for what they do to get public interest up.

I for one cant wait till the day its all private industry.
We aren't going to the moon with the same technology that we did 30 years ago because we aren't trying to be space cowboys anymore and beat the Russians. The entire moon landing project was just as expensive for them then as it is now, and they had the government actually pushing THEM to get it done rather than like now having an uninterested government send some spare change their way. If you've actually looked at an old Apollo module, it has less technology in it than cars do today adn EVERYTHING is transistor and switch based. Ancient. I would NOT want to have to trust that thing to keep me alive for almost 2 weeks.

The shuttle fleet does it's "job" in that, we can do all the research we want to, so long as it coincides with what the shuttle is capable of. The only other space craft in the world is the Russian Soyuz that is even more of a piece of **** than the shuttle so a comparison there isn't even worth while. There is much more that NASA wants to be able to do and will not be able to until they get a new vehicle ready. How will they be landing on the moon with a shuttle? Driving an old car around is fine, but would you want to go to space and live for 2 weeks inside something that was 25 years old? Shuttles are not ready to go in a matter of weeks either, that's why we had a fleet of 6 at one time and have had 7 altogether.

WTF are you talking about with NASA wanting to go back to capsules? Their new vehicle will be very shuttle"esque", only newer and equipped with all the apparatuses needed for what NASA wants/needs to do next. As for the capsules, they MIGHT be doing that for the Moon missions, but you tell me how the they are going to find a nice convenient 5 mile long (or more) runway on the moon? So what if they do go back to capsules? If it's with new technology but an old design and NASA can accomplish what it wants to with it, I really am not going to be ****ting a brick over it if they do go back to them. It seems to me that a capsule approach would be cheaper for some missions that don't require the maneuverability that the shuttle enjoys.

NASA does, by the way, make nice little press conferences about the new technology that they have come up with, and how when released to the public it can make our lives easier/better/lazier/what have you. But you know what? No one cares anymore, and that is the saddest part. Everyone is too wrapped up in what is going on in the world funneling money into the saddest waste of space and resources that the globe has - Africa. Do you know how much money and supplies get's shipped to that black hole (no pun intended)? And do you know what good it does? Absolutely nothing. If funding for NASA had kept up with the interest it did have and with inflation, they would be getting more than they have been. And even in a time when we WERE landing on the moon SEVERAL TIMES A YEAR, people still got bored with it after the first 2 or 3 times. If people were stupid enough to think it was ho hum back then when they supposedly "showing results" it really wouldn't matter much if they said they had found the Fountain of Youth on the moon, in about 2 months people would be whining again about how much money was being spent on the agency and that it should be going to the already bloated dictators in Africa.
'nuff said
Old 12-05-2006, 04:01 PM   #15
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Quote:

Apparently you've never heard of the term "inflation".

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:37 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to meteorachick

theres a few people on earth that i would would fare well on the moon....i think they should take them with them and keep them there

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #17
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorachick View Post
theres a few people on earth that i would would fare well on the moon....i think they should take them with them and keep them there
Jesse Jackson. He wouldn't want to go though. The moon is white at night.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:59 PM   #18
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Jesse Jackson. He wouldn't want to go though. The moon is white at night.
dude, the entire sky is black... **** the sky.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar