DJ equipment - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-05-2006, 07:08 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
DJ equipment

No not turntables, but a sound board and speakers. Ill get to the point in a second.

RJ and I started talking today. We are both in the process of ripping all our cds to our computers. And we are doing all of them. Im even doing the ones I have from my rap and r&b phase 6-8 years ago. On top of all the MP3s I have aquired through various programs So we both have very broad range of music. Country, Rock, Rap, R&B etc. Even talked about going and getting boxed sets of various types of music to broaden it out more. Like I dont have any Pop, classical, etc. Sometime in the next few months after money is saved up and I get to a more finacial stable point, we have talked about getting some DJing equipment. I can build a computer specifically for the purpose for dirt cheap. Hell have some of the stuff sitting in my closet now for one. Well the case is at my parents house. But lots of parts.

As of right now we both have like 8000+ without all the cds each. just my external alone has 5529. add another 300-400 cds i have and the 500-600 he has, thats a lot of songs.

So if you should get the idea by now. We are thinking about doing some DJing as a side job. Be perfect side job. Not too much DJs for events like weddings around here. Have the choice of only a few in the phone book. It is something pheasible (sp?) unlike the 4x4 shop or the computers and graphic designs.

But our problem lies, is we know nothing on buying sound equipment. I want to start researching this. Dont know where to buy. Dont need anything fancy yet. Good equipment but still cheaply priced, that will interface with a computer. I can operate a sound board, been awhile but it wouldnt take long to refresh myself. Yall know of any places to look for this kinda stuff. Getting ready to do some googling here shortly. Also any kind of software for this kinda stuff.

right now it has progressed at little past the joking part into the lets look into it and see how pheasible it truly is

Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2006, 07:21 PM   #2
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Re: DJ equipment

My dad is in the business of designing, buying, and building sound systems for churches, he is pretty well connected and knows his stuff, if you want, I'll run it by him, and if you can give me a budget and the kind of stuff you want, I bet he could put together a good list for you, and even recommend stuff. Let me know.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

All the DJs around here just use iTunes or WMP. iTunes is good because you can just put it in party shuffle mode and throw a song in the line up if it gets requested. A couple guys even use two laptops with iTunes and use the sound board to mix between computers to go from one song to the next. They make a couple hundred bucks per party and most places give them free beer I would just check eBay or a local music store for used equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I've got a "buddy" (I really have gotten to where I can't ****ing stand the guy) that has recently gotten into this. A guy he knows let him "borrow" (yeah, I'm guessing he stole) a decent little system.

Just your standard PA system with a mixing board in between really. Hit up your local music stores and check out sites like www.music123.com and Musician's Friend - Buy musical instruments, music gear, musical equipment online and compare prices.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

thanks guys. ill look into those bbunt.

ive never looked into itunes. never used it so i dont know a damn thing about it.

Nate, would appreciate it. I dont really know a price limit because i dont really know how much these things cost. from the little research ive done it looks like for some alright speakers it will run about 200 a pop, not sure if they have an amplifier or not. Sound boards not sure. Just a small one though. in other words, a good small venue type system for as cheap as possible. If we get real serious about it and after a few things, will start looking to upgrade then. I dont want to drop a ton of money into something if it flops.

Supermotors

Old 12-05-2006, 08:09 PM   #6
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrATEX View Post
thanks guys. ill look into those bbunt.

ive never looked into itunes. never used it so i dont know a damn thing about it.

Nate, would appreciate it. I dont really know a price limit because i dont really know how much these things cost. from the little research ive done it looks like for some alright speakers it will run about 200 a pop, not sure if they have an amplifier or not. Sound boards not sure. Just a small one though. in other words, a good small venue type system for as cheap as possible. If we get real serious about it and after a few things, will start looking to upgrade then. I dont want to drop a ton of money into something if it flops.
Alright, I'll let him know that you are just getting into it, need something small, not too expensive, but good sounding, and easily intigrated with a comp (which everything pretty much is, unless you want to get crazy integration.)
Old 12-05-2006, 08:19 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

nope no crazy intergration. As long as I can go through the library of songs on the computer pick out what i need and press play and it has sound through the speakers.

thats why i think i dont need a fancy sound board. just enough to control the sound based on the environment and stuff, one day have a mic too for announcemnets or whatever.

Supermotors

Old 12-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #8
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
nope no crazy intergration. As long as I can go through the library of songs on the computer pick out what i need and press play and it has sound through the speakers.

thats why i think i dont need a fancy sound board. just enough to control the sound based on the environment and stuff, one day have a mic too for announcemnets or whatever.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Pretty much any board will work then. Ill talk to him tonight and see what we can come up with.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:16 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
As of right now we both have like 8000+ without all the cds each. just my external alone has 5529. add another 300-400 cds i have and the 500-600 he has, thats a lot of songs.
And when y'all are done ripping, I will go ahead and send you a HD or 2 to fill up and return to me. :beer:
Old 12-05-2006, 11:01 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

I need a new HD, I completely filled mine up. 11122 songs is the count right now. I will get a couple thousand more from my friend that has been stockpiling music I want as soon as I get room.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar