DO NOT BUY ALIENWARE PCs. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-06-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to 04MonteSS
DO NOT BUY ALIENWARE PCs.

Yup this is Seph on my brother's computer.

Last night when typing up my Art History study guide for a big test I had the next day, I plugged in my USB Headphones to listen to some tunes while I worked.

Suddenly the computer froze. It was kinda odd... then my iPod screen flashed on for a second, which is also odd considering it only does that when my computer turns off.

So I held down the power button and let it sit for a few seconds till I pressed it again to reboot. Only this time, nothing rebooted. The power turned on but nothing ran.

After frantically calling everyone I knew only to realize everyone here doesn't answer their ****ing phone, I decided to call the most knowledgable guy on Earth on computers.

Brent. He told me my motherboard fried when I plugged in the headphones and when my friend called me back he agreed that probably did fry.

Thank you Brent for your help, my buddy called me and is coming over to look at it and order the part from Newegg for me and install it for me.

**** ALIENWARE.

Had the computer for what 2-3 years and **** fries itself? I've had nothing but problems with this overpriced piece of ****. The Nvidia card is complete crap, can't run anything well. EA Games liks Need for Speed on my PC are sluggish and there's nothing anyone can do about it because EA has like a grudge against people with that video card. Then it's another ****ing problem when my D drive suddenly disappears on me randomly only after a few months of owning it.

**** it all.

I want to get the same motherboard for this thing, HOPEFULLY get all the data off of it, and buy a new system or parts for the new system when Windows Vista comes out.

Never buy **** from them EVER. Even their speakers are overpriced, asking for Logitech speakers for 100 bucks over when newegg has em for dirt cheap.

I can't say enough how much I'm sick of this ****in computer.
Michael Moore and I actually have a lot in common - we both appreciate living in a country where there's free expression, but Michael, if you ever show up at my front door with a camera - I'll kill you.
04MonteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Re: DO NOT BUY ALIENWARE PCs.

poor guy
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:31 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

that sucks..not under warranty i assume. If you paid that much for something, it outta be freakin good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

damn, i'm glad i never bought an alienware... though i have to ask, did you have surge protection/battery backup? i lost my mobo back in july and it was becuz of multiple unprotected power losses. too many straws broke the camels back...

it could be (if you weren't protected) that you'd had a couple power losses that weakened the system, then the draw of using the usb headphones caused a backsurge through your mobo that fried it the rest of the way. that's pretty much what happened to mine.. i shut it down one night and it wouldn't start up the next day

my advice would be to buy a mac the new ones are nice

otherwise, abit has some nice new mobos... the awd9 in particular
Old 12-06-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

I feel your pain !! Walk into work this morning and had a crashed HD on one of our servers .Took me 4hrs to get the HD swap out ,rebuild the array and do a restore Thank God For Raid 5

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:48 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

dude, there are tons of pc's that are VERY reliable. I have nothing against macs and actually like a lot of things about them, but they are not superior to pc's. Their mobos can fry just like pc's. If you want to play games etc, i would not buy a mac. You can run windows on one, but that kinda defeats the purpose of buying one unless you just want both OS's, which i know some people who do.

Macs have some things that are better, pc's have some things that are better. Period.

The only thing i have against apple is their cockiness. Even when they switch to a pc processor (intel core duo), they make a commercial that is like, "what's an intel chip doing in a mac?...a lot more than it's ever done in a pc." When they are switching to something pc's have had...and it isn't doing anything more b/c it is in a mac. Don't hate on pc's/microsoft just because YOU have problems with them, there are plenty of competent pc users out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:08 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Mobo's fry. Its just a random occurence most the times and something i wouldnt directly blame alienware for.

Btw, what Video Card do you have? if its 2-3 years old too then its prolly why it doesnt run NFS or any newer games, right now the lowest i would go is a 6800GT or something, even that will run NFSC on medium settings smoothly, but with 7800GT prices hovering at the 100-150 mark i would just go with that.

btw at 2-3 years old its time to definately upgrade. and yes, alienware is a ripoff, some of their prices are just insane for basically a gaming rig that wont last long in todays ever growing world of PC tech. what alienware charges 4K+ for you can build yourself for 1k, though you might not have the ultra fancy case and pretty lightshow.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

its not alienware's fault that it fried. that stuff happens.

alienware sucks because its overpriced.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
btw at 2-3 years old its time to definately upgrade. and yes, alienware is a ripoff, some of their prices are just insane for basically a gaming rig that wont last long in todays ever growing world of PC tech. what alienware charges 4K+ for you can build yourself for 1k, though you might not have the ultra fancy case and pretty lightshow.
it can still have the fancy case and pretty light show. Just built a comp a few months back for a guy at work. cost 1600ish to build. 10 times better then an alienware. But his dumbass wanted some over kill in it.

MSI mobo, AMD processor, 4 gigs corsair XMS ram, dual dvd-rws, floppy with built in 7 in 1 card reader, cant remember if i put one or two 250 gig hdds in it, real nice full tower thermaltake armor series case, 7800gt oc, audigy 4 sound card...just over kill for what he uses it for. surf the net and play wow.

here is a couple pics of his going together

built two using this case, very good case, except if you dont like lights then you gotta change out the two 120mm fans cause they have blue LEDs

this is the second rebuild on mine. Also where i ditched the liquid coolant cause i have not had luck with it. Maybe if I had a better system it would have been better.

this was what happened to the processor, mobo was just as bad

during that rebuild i got bored and pimped my case, so for a fraction the cost you can have the fancy case and light show

Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:56 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

^damn look at all that cable clutter
Old 12-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Here's the last one I built:

Edit: There's a better picture

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:29 PM   #12
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
Here's the last one I built:

Edit: There's a better picture
yaaay tiny is together again!! and all growed up!
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark View Post
it could be (if you weren't protected) that you'd had a couple power losses that weakened the system, then the draw of using the usb headphones caused a backsurge through your mobo that fried it the rest of the way. that's pretty much what happened to mine.. i shut it down one night and it wouldn't start up the next day

That's pretty much what happened. It isn't surge protected, though at the time I thought it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
Btw, what Video Card do you have? if its 2-3 years old too then its prolly why it doesnt run NFS or any newer games, right now the lowest i would go is a 6800GT or something, even that will run NFSC on medium settings smoothly, but with 7800GT prices hovering at the 100-150 mark i would just go with that.

It isn't just the motherboard, it's been multiple problems with the computer. And yeah the video card is old for today's standard, but when the need for speed game came out my computer was about.. 2 months old at the time? How ****ty it that? Brand new card can't run a game properly, I searched all over for an answer and all I got were other people complaining about the same thing with their card.

Yeah it's funny this happened because my friend and I were going over prices and what I should get from Newegg so he could build the PC for me. It's like my computer knew I was going to do something with it and hung itself. I was originally going to let someone build the computer for me, but at the time he was really flakey. Always hard to get a hold of him when I needed PC help, so I chose to get something with support. And **** me, I didn't get any extended warranty for $400+ more so there goes that.

But altogether, my friend is going to show me how to install things and go step by step with how things go so I can build my own and not be stuck in the ****ter when it comes to these things.
Michael Moore and I actually have a lot in common - we both appreciate living in a country where there's free expression, but Michael, if you ever show up at my front door with a camera - I'll kill you.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:50 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

lol which NFS game are we talking about here?

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:34 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I'm talkin about.. Need for Speed: Underground 2 for the PC, and I think I also had issues with the new Hot Pursuit one as well.

Edit: Ah yes and the new Need for Speed sucks *** on the computer as well. It plays perfectlly fine and then suddenly the game freezes and unfreezes itself a few seconds later, they last from 10seconds to 30 seconds at a time.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:12 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark View Post
^damn look at all that cable clutter
yeah i had to rebuild it to many times that i just said fawk it, one day ill go in there and clean it up like that ones i build for other people

Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:12 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

i hate cable clutter, my case is pretty darn neat. I have a ocz modstream power supply with modular cables so it looks pretty nice, and they are black light reactant.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:15 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
i hate cable clutter, my case is pretty darn neat. I have a ocz modstream power supply with modular cables so it looks pretty nice, and they are black light reactant.
Didn't you used to have an Ultra X-Connect?

I like turtles.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:39 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yea I did but after hearing some horror stories I changed it out and sold it.
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:51 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
yea I did but after hearing some horror stories I changed it out and sold it.
Mine finally died on me. I've got an Antec Neo modular 550W one in the clear box, now. I think I'm going to buy another one for the little box, soon.

I like turtles.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

my ocz so far (nearly 2 years) has been great