Mac Sucks and so do their commercials - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-24-2006, 10:45 PM   #36

Re: Mac Sucks and so do their commercials

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64 View Post
I'd have to disagree with that - and I have always secretly wanted a Mac laptop, so my opinion isn't too biased.

The basic Macbook is $1099 ($1049 if you are a student or teacher). For that you get:

MAC OSX
13.3" Screen
1.83 Ghz Intel Core Duo
512MB RAM
60GB HDD
CD-RW/DVD-ROM
AirPort & Bluetooth

You can also get a Toshiba Satellite (Toshiba makes very nice laptops) for $879 from Best Buy. For that you get:

Windows XP Media Center
15.4" Screen
1.6 Ghz Intel Centrio Duo
1GB RAM
100GB HDD
DVD-RW/CD-RW
802.11a/b/g

Now, if you don't care about brand you can get a Gateway for $799 (You can actually get an equally optioned Gateway - aside from a AMD Turion 64 bit processor for $599) with:

Windows XP Media Center
15.4" Screen
1.66 Ghz Intel Core Duo
1GB RAM
100GB HDD
DVD-RW/CD-RW
802.11a/b/g

The PCs fall slightly short of the Mac in the processor department, but not enough for the average user to notice. The PCs also don't have blueooth, but I really don't even know anyone that uses bluetooth. All in all, I'd say that PC pricing is much more competitive than Mac pricing and you get muore bang for your buck with PCs (RAM, HDD space, DVD-RW) than Macs.
Well First off you are not compairing like computers, The mac has an intel 2 duo core proccessor, and i am 90% sure those have the origional intel duo core proccessor, that 2 makes a big diffrence, i am not sure exactly what the speed diffrence is but it is large, basicly those computers are old news, and mac is using the new technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
...I won't ever buy one is that they offer absolutely nothing that PCs don't have................... On the other hand, PCs are more mainstream, and therefore, easier to find software and support for.
Now that you you can run window's os on the mac box, the software argument is not really valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
Macs suck because they use all proprietary hardware. You can only buy one from Macintosh, so they are overly expensive for the amount of hardware you get. OS X isn't even as stable as XP. Sure, they're aren't any viruses and not as much spyware...but, if you're not a complete idiot that doesn't matter. So if you want a gay looking computer that you can't work on, don't mind spending twice as much for equivalent processing power, and want an operating system that doesn't support a huge pile of software...yeah, they're real good.

As i said before, the prices now are very comprable to mainstream pc's And for hardware the mac's are now using intel based chips, and hard drives. You can use any windows peripheral with the mac box running xp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleUSAF View Post
i prefer pc because i think windows offers more to a user who knows how to use it well. I also enjoy playing video games from time to time. I prefer Adobe premiere/After Effects etc over final cut as well. The hardware in macs is not nearly as available as pc hardware...i don't think you can build your own mac due to lack of hardware availability, and i built my pc.

I do not think mac sucks. I like their laptops, but still prefer my dell precision. Their machines are respectable, but i prefer pc. The biggest difference is the OS and i like windows more...with proper virus protection and knowledge, it is a great os imo.

oh yea, and running both os's on a mac means you have to have a seperate partition on your hd. Switching between them takes a bit of time and if you put a file on your hd in one os, you cannot access it on the other. To me that would just be a pain and not worth it.
Switching between them is very easy, You hold the option key on boot and you have a GUI that you select windows vs mac, or linux or what ever.

I am writing this on a dell xps gen 1, with in my family we have an IBM a toshiba, an older g4 mac book, and a new macbook with the intel 2 duo core. I support a large number of people with my job, and we have every kind of computer there is and we have the least hardware problems with the macs.

I just think mac has the quality control that the major pc manufactures (IE DELL) don't have any more
3.3Liters4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2006, 10:54 PM   #37
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.3Liters4Fun View Post
Well First off you are not compairing like computers, The mac has an intel 2 duo core proccessor, and i am 90% sure those have the origional intel duo core proccessor, that 2 makes a big diffrence, i am not sure exactly what the speed diffrence is but it is large, basicly those computers are old news, and mac is using the new technology
Ok, how about this Toshiba for an even $1000:

Windows XP Media Center
15.4" Screen
1.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB RAM
160GB HDD
DVD-RW/CD-RW
802.11a/b/g

Only $100 (or $50) less than the Macbook but you get twice the ram, 2 & 2/3 the hard disk space and the ability to burn dvd's. Still sounds like more bang for the buck to me. Oh, and the $800 Gateway I mentioned had the Core 2 Duo.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:57 PM   #38
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Now that you you can run window's os on the mac box, the software argument is not really valid.
Sure it is. Because then you have to pay for OS X and Windows to be able to run all the Windows software.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2006, 11:07 PM   #39
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Why pay to run windows on a box that is not as easily upgraded as a PC that was meant to run Windows? Not to mention more expensive... all I get is a pretty box and OSX which I don't have a use for.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:53 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64 View Post
Ok, how about this Toshiba for an even $1000:

Windows XP Media Center
15.4" Screen
1.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB RAM
160GB HDD
DVD-RW/CD-RW
802.11a/b/g

Only $100 (or $50) less than the Macbook but you get twice the ram, 2 & 2/3 the hard disk space and the ability to burn dvd's. Still sounds like more bang for the buck to me. Oh, and the $800 Gateway I mentioned had the Core 2 Duo.
Yes you do get more ram, and i bet that 160gig drive is a 5400 rpm, where the smaller one is 7200. Not based on fact just a hunch, and the macbook has a super drive as well. I am saying that it is the best priced, but there is a lot more that goes into building a computer then just the "sales" specs.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:55 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
Sure it is. Because then you have to pay for OS X and Windows to be able to run all the Windows software.

Got me there, Just never an issue with me so it slipped my mind.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:46 AM   #42
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Where the **** did the Macintosh fan come from? I think I'm going to be sick. Mac's are more expensive than mainstream PCs, and if you can't see that...well, I don't know what to say to you.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:33 AM   #43
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

Quote:
Switching between them is very easy, You hold the option key on boot and you have a GUI that you select windows vs mac, or linux or what ever.

I just think mac has the quality control that the major pc manufactures (IE DELL) don't have any more
dude, you completely ignored the reasons i gave for me not liking the switch thing. I didn't say it was hard, but it does take longer than a reboot and the info is not transferable. I'm not just regurgitating this either, I've done it.

Oh please, dell has as much "quality control" as mac. i dunno what issue it is that you seem to have with dell, but if you don't name specifics, it can't even be debated. Why do you act like dell has gone downhill or something, like they once were good but now they suck?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 01:09 PM   #44

Well the mac can read the ntfs file partition, but not the other way around, and you can't write to it. That is true.
I don't know about you but i am not stupid enough to leave data on just a laptop hard drive, so space on drives and access to data is not a consiren to me. You can create external drives that are fat32 that both os's can read and write to. I have a server set up for me on my network for most of my files.

Well i have had issues with my battery, not just the normal recall, but it going ko one week after the one year mark(when there warrenty ends on all batteries), So through my CC i got a replacement one, that one was an exploding one, so i sent off to get a replacement for the replacement, and when i got that the replacment was a refurbished one, and it holds a crappy *** charge. My exploding one would hold about 2.5 hours and the replacement only holds about 1.5 hours. I talked to dell and they basicly said tuff luck. This issue with them not working right after the warrenty is very common with my computers, from what i read they put some circut in there that has a built in experation date.

I have had several (reads more then 6) dell mobo's dye on me on all diffrent computers. Where i have an old insrion from about 2000, that still runs well and not had any of theses problems, just getting slow now. I also have a top of the line xps from 04, and after using this i am quite unimpressed.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:13 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
Where the **** did the Macintosh fan come from? I think I'm going to be sick. Mac's are more expensive than mainstream PCs, and if you can't see that...well, I don't know what to say to you.
Macworld: Feature: Comparing prices: Mac Pro versus PCs

Mac pro is more then $1000 less then a the dell, and configured with better stuff.

You comment added nothing to this disscussion
Old 12-25-2006, 05:33 PM   #46
Regular

Anyone that buys a Dell Desktop doesn't have performance in mind anyways. I have never bought an already configured desktop. I have built all of mine.

And for 1000 dollars look at what I just built:

Newegg.com - Lian Li PC-7B plus II Black Computer Case - Retail
Newegg.com - ASUS M2N4-SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+(65W) 2.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor - Retail
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM System Memory - Retail (2GB)
Newegg.com - BFG Tech GeForce 7900GS BFGR79256GSOCE Video Card - Retail
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 400GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write E-IDE/ATAPI - OEM

I already have a 73GB WD Raptor from my current computer that will be going in this and then I already have my 19" Widescreen LCD which cost me $200

So overall about 1000 dollars in new parts and 1300 all together.

Let's see a Mac compete with that and then play all my games for 1300 dollars.

Reddit
Old 12-25-2006, 09:18 PM   #47
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Anyone that buys a Dell Desktop doesn't have performance in mind anyways. I have never bought an already configured desktop. I have built all of mine.

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 400GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write E-IDE/ATAPI - OEM

I already have a 73GB WD Raptor from my current computer that will be going in this and then I already have my 19" Widescreen LCD which cost me $200

[/thread]

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:42 PM   #48
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Quote:
...common sense...

Behold! A ray of hope. Proof, that still to this day, yes, there are people with sense. I commend you, Sir Brent.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:03 PM   #49
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Im on a toshiba satellite notebook that I bought for 650 bucks a couple months ago.

Its got:
1.6 Ghz processor
512mb ram
80 gb HD
CD/DVD-R/RW
built in wireless a/b/g
15.4" widescreen monitor
and intel core duo processor

All for 650... thats a freakin bargain when all I use a notebook for is internet/word processing. Ill even break open photoshop here and there and it runs it just fine.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:46 PM   #50
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang

This is my Gf's set up. She is a Photo J & Graphic Design major(s), the news paper she works for has all Mac's, and her internship uses Mac's. So it was smart for her to buy a iMac to learn how to use it and know it inside and out. I found it does better running these programs + moving and DL large photos all at once then my laptop will (HP laptop) and better then my (now old) custom built PC... I still dont like mac's, but they can be upgraded some, but its not what i would want due to I play games and web stuff. when I edit my photos i wish i had a mac sometimes tho.
--------------------------------------------------
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512
250GB Serial ATA Drive *Has a extra 300 GIG EHD*
ATI Radeon X1600/128MB VRAM
SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)
20-inch widescreen LCD
AirPort Extreme

Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

Programs that gets used all day long, most at the same time;

Adobe® Illustrator® CS2
Adobe® InDesign® CS2
Adobe Photoshop CS2,

Aperture 1.5.2 (Professional Photo Management)
Fetch 5
Old 12-29-2006, 05:46 PM   #51

I am currently out of the country, but when i get back i will look at those links
Old 12-31-2006, 05:13 PM   #52
Legacy Member
Legacy

Brent, 100% true. I build my own, and will only build my own. and for about 500 bucks you can get a computer that is still better then a Dell if you build yourself. And guess what, what you want goes in it. Build your own, and the computer is built for your needs, not a base model with maybe a bigger hard drive thrown in there.

I like BFG Tech, my computer and the last one i built have BFG Tech vid cards. I prefer MSI MoBos though.

Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:17 PM   #53
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrATEX View Post
Brent, 100% true. I build my own, and will only build my own. and for about 500 bucks you can get a computer that is still better then a Dell if you build yourself. And guess what, what you want goes in it. Build your own, and the computer is built for your needs, not a base model with maybe a bigger hard drive thrown in there.

I like BFG Tech, my computer and the last one i built have BFG Tech vid cards. I prefer MSI MoBos though.

i like that idea, my PC was $500 on the dot. my buddy and i build them but Mac's have there place.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #54
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishers Stang View Post
but Mac's have there place.
yeah in elementerary schools so the kids can play the Oregon Trail. Only time I ever used a mac. i cant understand why they had macs in there though.

Supermotors

Old 01-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Thats funny I remember playing Oregon Trail lol

One wicked 03 GT FOBRA
ridenmystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #56
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

Quote:

I just ordered parts for my laptop. I'm building my own using the Asus s96j barebone...

1280x800 glossy screen
Intel Core Duo 2 GHz
ATI Mobility X1600
1 GB DDR2 667 ram
80GB 7,200 rpm HD

can't wait til it all gets here. I'll probably post some pictures of it when it's done.

total cost is around 1200 but that is one hell of a laptop for that price.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Brent,
Never having built electronics, what skill level is necessary to building a piece like y'all are talking about? I've put in chips and boards, but never assembled something like that. Is it a project a beginner like me can do or is it best left to professionals? Sounds like you getting huge power at incredible value.
Jim
Old 01-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #58
Legacy Member
Legacy

buy building pcs for dummies book. it actually has a lot of good info in there.

it can be very simple but very complicated at the same time. The hardest part is figuring out all the parts to put in the computer. You have to look at all the specs and make sure everything is compatible. After that it is basically "plug and play" to an extent. The book for the motherboard will tell you where every wire will go on it. mulitple cd and hard drives require you to set up one as a slave and one as a master. not difficult though.

The nice thing about newer parts is a lot of auto bios type thing. You can hook it all up and start the computer. it will configure itself.

Now what kind of money are you willing to spend on a computer? that will dictate what kind of parts to look for. If you would like PM a price range along with what the uses for the computer will be. and I will put a build sheet together for you to see just what is needed. now remember the higher end of a computer you want, the higher the price is. If you would like PM me also and Ill give you my number so you can ask questions easier.

but overall, if you have the aptitude for it (and it sounds like you do) with time, paitence, reaserching, and asking questions, it is fairly simple.

Supermotors

Old 01-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #59
Legacy Member
Legacy

i dont even think you need a book if you know a bit about computers. if you have absolutely no knowledge of computers though it might be a good idea to get one. its actually nothing about electronics for the most part so you don't really need to know anything like that.

just have a buddy over or have someone online walk you through. its pretty simple. things go where they fit for the most part and if you have any general idea of where stuff goes on a computer, then it should be very little difficulty. the only problem i have ever had building computers is occasionally you put it all together and turn it on and nothing happens. then you gotta figure out what you did wrong. usually something isn't getting power or isn't connected right. just be careful you don't fry your parts... i'd recommend building it on your kitchen floor or something so there is no static and stuff.

you can even google some how to's and read up a bit on building computers. and yes, it is the best bang for your buck. you can build a $3000+ retail computer for alittle more than a grand... probably less if you have a monitor and other spare parts (like a case, fans, sound card, etc).

Old 01-01-2007, 05:23 PM   #60
Legacy Member
Legacy

and like what SrATEX said... you gotta think about what type of computer you want. are you going to game a lot? multitask? etc. a top of the line video card is a pretty pricey piece of hardware. if you plan on playing the latest games at high settings and resolutions... prepare to spend a lot. if you are a casual gamer, then there are more affordable cards. one thing i would recommend though for anyone is a 7200rpm hard drive and 2 gigs of memory. 2GB is going to be the new standard and i prefer my hard drives fast than large.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:26 PM   #61
Legacy Member
Legacy

the book idea is just for a reference. I like having for those occasions where i go, damn why aint this thing coming on and i cant figure it out. flip through a couple pages for an idea of something im looking over. or when im having a bit of trouble and my phone a friend aint working.

also that one has stuff in it like compatibility, differences in types of parts, Operating systems, just about everything you need to know from deciding on what your needs from a computer to installing windows onto the computer. Nice reference tool.

and be very careful with thermal paste...too much is not a good thing. too much or too little all can fry your processor.

Supermotors

Old 01-01-2007, 05:29 PM   #62
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
and like what SrATEX said... you gotta think about what type of computer you want. are you going to game a lot? multitask? etc. a top of the line video card is a pretty pricey piece of hardware. if you plan on playing the latest games at high settings and resolutions... prepare to spend a lot. if you are a casual gamer, then there are more affordable cards. one thing i would recommend though for anyone is a 7200rpm hard drive and 2 gigs of memory. 2GB is going to be the new standard and i prefer my hard drives fast than large.

yeah a casual gamer will get a long just fine with a Nvidia 6xxx series. and those prices have dropped a lot. even some of the 7xxx series have come down in price.

i will second the 2GB of ram. I am sitting with 1GB right now. I wish I had 2. even if I didnt play a lot of games. computer will run much quicker for just a couple bucks more.

7200rpm HDs are more or less becoming a standard now. it is easy to get a large 7200rpm HD fairly cheap also. But yes, also make computer run quicker. since it get stored data faster.

Supermotors

Old 01-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #63
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyche View Post
Brent,
Never having built electronics, what skill level is necessary to building a piece like y'all are talking about? I've put in chips and boards, but never assembled something like that. Is it a project a beginner like me can do or is it best left to professionals? Sounds like you getting huge power at incredible value.
Jim
Its really simple. I remember building my first one without a problem. There is no How To to it I guess.. the motherboard comes with instructions on setting up all the cables that connect to it like the Power Switch and such. The hardest part is connecting the wires basically and it isnt too bad at all

Reddit
Old 01-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #64
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyche View Post
Brent,
Jim
its easier than you think.

easiest way was to settle on a processor, then find a motherboard that shared the same socket as the processor, but also had SLi capibility (the ability to run two 3D cards in tandem) and alot of ram headroom (most can run 4gb max), and onboard SATA/RAID support. then buy some ram of the same type that the mobo uses. then you need a 3D card since most stand-alone motherboards do not use a onboard 3D chipset. right now you can get a Nvidia 7900GT at best buy for 159$, which is a really good card. then you need storage, if you got a motherboard with SATA ports, get a SATA 3.0g drive, usually 7200rpm's and at least 50gb for your main drive (The drive that will have the operating system on it and store your main games). the secondary drive if you choose for mass storage (MP3, Movies, etc) can be IDE but id stick to SATA if you can. if you have an older PC you can gaffle the CD/DVD drive from that and use it, but if not, drives are cheap, you can get a DVD (non recordable) with CD/RW for 50$ even at BB/CC. Then you need a case, which you can get for 50$ on xoxide.com, some come with power supplies, but in most cases you will need to buy one, and if youre going to be running high end motherboards and video cards and many other things (fans, drives, blinky lights) youre going to need a 500w+, which are still around 50$ at newegg.

so heres a rundown.

Processor
Motherboard (matched to processor socket)
Ram (matched to motherboard requirements)
Video Card
Hard Drive
Case
Power Supply.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:28 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

SrAtex, wiarumas,

Thanks for the information and the encouragement. I will take you up on reviewing my goals and config. You guys are really great to offer some of your time to advise a newbie. I'm impressed!

If there are tools I should have, other than what you would expect in a hot rodder's tool chest, I'd appreciate some guidance there too.

Again, thanks. If I can ever return the favor, please let me know.
Jim

Since I want a PC to interface with PMS, Tweecer, Xcalibrator 2, etc, is it possible to build a laptop with the power and pieces to serve as a data logger with such systems?
JW

(I do LOVE this web site so!)
Old 01-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #66
Legacy Member
Legacy

you can get DVD-RWs for about 50 bucks at newegg thomas...LG makes some good drives.

non-magnatized philips screwdriver should be the only tool you need. And no thanks needed. It is a hobby i really like doing, so whenever I get the chance I jump on it.

building laptops is over my head. never known anyone who has and have never fiddled with one myself. When I had a laptop it was your $1000 dell special

Supermotors

Old 01-01-2007, 10:05 PM   #67
Legacy Member
Legacy

its actually not that bad... at least.. im hoping it isn't that bad haha. im going to be building mine this weekend when my parts get in. i heard its not that hard.. especially if you have experience with desktops. its basically the same thing with smaller parts and less space. and if you are uncomfortable building your own pc i believe there are sites out there that will build it for you using the barebone laptops and putting in whatever parts you want. just make sure its a reputable seller.

Asus S96j Review

i believe the company asus makes a few different types of "barebone" laptops.

Quote:
A barebone system means you get nothing but the computer system with the essentials such as a motherboard, battery, case, keyboard etc. The processor, RAM and hard drive are all bought separately and configurable. The advantage of this is it can be a bit cheaper and you can build the notebook to your preferences.
thats also a pretty sweet laptop forum and is where i got all my information on which laptop was right for me and stuff. i didnt know much about laptops. they are different from desktops, but not by much. here are some tips on laptops.. they also apply to desktops probably too

-upgrading laptops are very restricted so get what you need and will last
-i personally believe macs are ok, but for now and for years to come, microsoft is superior and the standard (which kind of go hand in hand)
-alienware laptops are awesome.. but horribly overpriced
-there are a lot of things to consider when it comes to laptops (weight, battery life, size, appearance, many different types of screens, location of ports, etc)

so basically know whats right for you. decide what your priorities are, price range, go to best buy.. check out different screen sizes.. do you like glossy screens, etc

Old 01-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #68
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
you can get DVD-RWs for about 50 bucks at newegg thomas...LG makes some good drives.
no ****? dam, i havent really checked prices for DVD-RW drives mainly cause its really unnecessary right now, but thats ****ing cheap!

Quote:
building laptops is over my head. never known anyone who has and have never fiddled with one myself. When I had a laptop it was your $1000 dell special
yeah its not like a PC you can buy a empty case and build from the ground up, though my buddy right now has a dell notebook his work got him that wasnt the top of the line version of that model that would allow the use of a better video card(the 7900gt laptop version didnt fit with the mobo version he had), so he told them the mobo fried and they let him get a "replacement" which was the board from the higher version and a video card to go with it. his laptop can basically hang with the rest of our custom built PC's now, and his was free.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:12 AM   #69
Regular

My DVD burner was 44 dollars Newegg.com - SONY 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model DRU120C - Retail

Reddit
Old 01-02-2007, 07:58 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

its extremly easy to build a computer, its pretty straight forward, If you take a bit of time to look how they go together you should have no issues after a bit of research into this and that. It basically snaps together~ then you just load the settings you want and the software~ I plan to build another one soon, I wouldnt dream of building one again... far to overpriced. People who buy prebuilt computers arnt really into super fast processing power or gamming hard core (or they dont know any better)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar