Troop Count - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #36
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
Re: Troop Count

and the 100k dead from the cold war with communism makes it not a cold war anymore?

its a similar situation with what we did with THAT cold war. we fought in korea and vietnam with the secondary objective of thwarting a philosophy different than our own. with that said, iraq is similar to those two wars because A. they are pointless B. they go beyond what media covers and the militaristic objectives like that of overthrowing an evil man and weapons and weapons of mass destruction.

and youre right, we do have a presence over there but now its a military presence with us flexing our muscles. its not just a political one or the aiding of countries with american interest. it MIGHT be a stepping stone, but at most its just crippling the advance/existance of their culture/philosophy on how the world should be run.

the difference between this and the vietnam and korean war is that not only does it pale in comparison to the death toll, is that the middle eastern/islamic government styling and philosophies will not die out like communism. communism killed itself because it just doesnt work... but a political philosophy backed by religion is a deadly and surviving mixture. hell, we could invade, bomb, and reinstate democracy and consumerism in the entire middle east and we will still have problems over there.

and i do agree that iraq is stupid and we need to do something about it. in history books it will be in the same context as the korean and vietnam war. however, should we pull out? no, because the gun totting cave dwellers are going to come out of their hole and be even more pissed, overjoyed, and praising allah that the evil doers have been vanquished more than before. rinse and repeat.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 02:09 PM   #37
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
and the 100k dead from the cold war with communism makes it not a cold war anymore?
I'm talking more about the Russia part of the cold war. If you want to include Vietnam and Korea then that's a bit different. We shouldn't have been involved in either as extensively as we were. Ground troops in Vietnam was a disaster. Ground troops in Iraq is a disaster. You can't compare Iraq to communism either. Muslim extremism isn't spreading across the world rapidly nor is their basic religion beliefs going to change and open up a door for democracy.

The United States ignored warning signs that our country was facing a national security threat before 9/11. Our laws were written in such a way that prohibited us from efficiently tracking people who came into the United States. Our borders were wide open. We left our selves vulnerable. 9/11 was preventable, like I said above, without going to war with the Middle East.

Quote:
its a similar situation with what we did with THAT cold war. we fought in korea and vietnam with the secondary objective of thwarting a philosophy different than our own. with that said, iraq is similar to those two wars because A. they are pointless B. they go beyond what media covers and the militaristic objectives like that of overthrowing an evil man and weapons and weapons of mass destruction.
I agree. I know we aren't over there because Iraq was a direct threat to us. It's a much bigger issue and I disagree with why we are really over there.

Quote:
and youre right, we do have a presence over there but now its a military presence with us flexing our muscles. its not just a political one or the aiding of countries with american interest. it MIGHT be a stepping stone, but at most its just crippling the advance/existance of their culture/philosophy on how the world should be run.
Our muscles aren't quite as big as 5 years ago. Our country is weak and it's Bush's fault. Support for the war is gone because of the way he handled it. No one wants to invest in our economy because of the way its been handled these last 8 years. We went from a surplus in 2000 to a 400 billion dollar deficit in 2008.

Quote:
the difference between this and the vietnam and korean war is that not only does it pale in comparison to the death toll, is that the middle eastern/islamic government styling and philosophies will not die out like communism. communism killed itself because it just doesnt work... but a political philosophy backed by religion is a deadly and surviving mixture. hell, we could invade, bomb, and reinstate democracy and consumerism in the entire middle east and we will still have problems.
That's my point. We aren't going to be successful in what many want to do or *wish* we can do, which is turn Iraq into a warm and fuzzy ally. Give me a break. Anyone that believes that will happen has lost it. How many deaths in Iraq is determined too many anyways? It's 5 years in and 4,000 dead and we aren't any closer to getting out than when we first invaded in March 2003.

Sooner or later the argument that only x amount has been killed isn't going to work because that x amount is going to be 10,000+

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #38
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

I believe the only true way Iraq will free themselves of their problems of tyranny and insurgents is if they truly want democracy.

Right now I see them as everybody's on the fence. Either way, they don't care. As long as they can live and breathe, they are fine. This isn't what the colonists felt when the British were demanding more money and flooding the cities with taxes and bringing in troops. If they truly want it, they'll have to change.

I honestly don't see that coming these coming years. Maybe their children will have a more determined view on how they'd want to live after witnessing their country try to rebound from all this, but as soon as we leave.. The country will be sitting there just waiting for **** to hit the fan with it and the entire country to fall back to how it was before.

It's really sad, but like many great scholars have said before, is that history repeats itself. Observe and study our past and we can then predict the outcome of the future.

But it appears our government completely forgot about the Revolutionary, the Vietnam, and Korean war.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar