Saban and Alabama - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2007, 10:30 AM   #1
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Saban and Alabama

Ok, so, what are y'alls thoughts about Saban and Alabama? Something tells me the Bama folks would love it...and something tells me the La folks are going to hate it.

Being an outsider kinda, I think it is good for Saban/Alabama, bad for LSU fans, good for those of us that don't want to watch Miami games just because an ex LSU coach is the head coach...put a real game on TV, thanks.

Anyhow, looks like Alabama is really going after him. According to this -> ESPN.com - NCF - Bama hopes to lure Saban, makes big offer to coach they are looking at a 35-40 million contract. Now that is some coin.

I just don't think Saban is ready for the NFL...either that or he just has one hell of a ****ty team and no one could coach them. Either way, I think he does need to get out of Miami. But, Alabama? Man, I can see the home LSU games now. lol Talk about a love/hate relationship.
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: Saban and Alabama

I think he'd be a good coach for Bama. Mainly because of the fact that he has experience winning in the SEC.

I think he'll probably take it too. It's a lot of money, he's not doing well in the NFL, and it's at a school with a level of tradition higher than almost any other in college football. He'd be kinda stupid to turn it down IMO.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I agree about doing well in Alabama. The NFL just doesn't seem to be a good fit for him. If he were to take over for Cower in pittsburg, that might be different since he would have a team that can play a little bit. But Miami is not where he needs to cut his NFL teeth. I can only imagine that if he does take it (and I agree he would be stupid not to), it will only heighten the LSU/AL rivalry. Too bad that game is away this year (I think).
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
Regular

Region: Tennessee

IMO I am going to stand by my position on hiring Joe Kines, the current Alabama head coach, former Defensive Coordinator. He really loves the school and has already said he wants the Job. He would cost half of what Saban costs and Kines is a defensive genius. However they are clearly not going to hire Kines so in that case Saban would also be a good coach. I think he would do well in Alabama and for 4 million a year he better.

Kines coached very well in the Alabama bowl game. Even though they lost you could clearly see a huge improvement in our offense. He did a few things Shula never did the whole year: Managed the clock very well and ended the game with all our timeouts, the first time all year. He put 31 points on the board in regulation and scored almost as many td's in the redzone as we had scored the entire year.

Clearly this game showed what a horrid coach Shula is. You can say Alabama fans are living in the past all you want with Bear, but Shula was horrible and needed to go. We are clearly looking to get it right this time by going after someone with no ties to Alabama and no ties to the Bear.

I love this quote by him:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kines
A week after Shula's firing a reporter asked Kines if he wanted to stay on at Alabama as defensive coordinator in 2007, Kines responded "Do you like to eat?!".

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:56 AM   #5
Regular

This is why I love Kines:

[media]

Reddit
Old 01-03-2007, 07:22 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

good for bama, bad for LSU. it is just hard for me to think that saban would do that to LSU. but then again, it's just business. it's nothing personal, i think.

and some coaches aren't cut out for the pros. look at pete carroll. he couldn't do **** in the nfl but when he went to USC, he won back to back nc titles.

2003 Mustang V6 Vert with a Flowmaster Super 40 series dual exhaust
I'm not a target in the sights of your mercy. I've never asked for anything. I'm not asking now.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:22 AM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

And it is official...

Called in his resignation...and notified the players by phone as well. Didn't even tell anyone in person. Radio here is busting on him pretty good already.

ESPN.com - NFL - Saban rolls with the Tide, takes Alabama job
Old 01-03-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

When I see Saban in a press conference, with a crimson hat on, saying that he's the new UA coach...then I'll believe it.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
When I see Saban in a press conference, with a crimson hat on, saying that he's the new UA coach...then I'll believe it.
Radio is about to broadcast a press conference now.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:10 PM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Wow, looks like Saban has lost some serious credibility...

Quote:
PARADISE VALLEY, Ariz. -- With Nick Saban en route to a coronation in Tuscaloosa, it's officially time to change the vocabulary used to describe college coaches.

"Integrity" is out. "Character" is out. "Teacher" is out. "Leader of men" is out.

"Liar" is in.

They're not going to tell the truth to us, but we can tell the truth about them. It's this: They'll say anything to get recruits on campus, and they'll say anything to get media members off their backs when angling for a different job. And the panting attempts by school administrators, fans, other coaches and many media members to portray them as men of superior moral fiber needs to stop.

They're coaches, that's all. That makes them part of a pack of lying liars who only lie when their lips are moving -- and Saban's lips have moved most recently.

The Miami Dolphins coach denied being interested in or a candidate for the job at Alabama so many times we all lost count. But we weren't na´ve enough to believe him -- and Wednesday proved why. He's fundamentally unbelievable.

So it's time to rename the American Football Coaches Association the Liar's Club. I understand that I'm tarring a lot of good men -- and even a few honest ones -- with a broad brush, but that's Saban's gift to his profession.
The rest...loll ESPN.com - COLUMNIST/FORDE - Forde: Welcome to the Liar's Club

Quote:
This week, when the topic didn't go away -- because, clearly, it shouldn't have -- he got snippy.

"I'm not talking about any of that stuff," he said. "And I'd appreciate the courtesy of it not being asked."

If you could put a subtitle on that it would read: "My gosh, people, I'm trying to avoid the subject. How dare you not play along with me? Just because I've been lying my eyeballs out, I won't let you paint me into a corner. So it's time to make you all look like jerks for badgering me. Bad manners, all of you!"
Old 01-03-2007, 05:02 PM   #11
Regular

Oh give me a break. ESPN had their reporters pressure Nick Saban into giving them a yes or no answer. The reporters wouldn't leave the man alone.

If you want to talk about liars I can name a whole bunch of coaches that told their players one thing and did another.

Had Pete Carrol or anyone in a Non Sec school done something like Saban there would be none of this crap coming from ESPN. It's a bunch of bull how ESPN sucks the Pac-10 and Big 12's dick. It's pathetic.

Reddit
Old 01-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Sounds to me more like some reporters have lost some serious credibility. Them and the people gullible enough to not read between the lines.

Scary stuff.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

it is not an unusual thing for coaches to lie to anyone. Dennis Francione, or however you spell his name, swore to his players he was staying. then next day he announced he was going to Texas A&M. and wasn't he Bama's coach at the time?

I'm not a target in the sights of your mercy. I've never asked for anything. I'm not asking now.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:00 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

****. Tom "the Tubster" Tubberville did that same **** when he left Ole Miss. I still haven't quite forgiven him over that one.

I completely understand why Nick Saban was saying he wasn't leaving, though. He was coaching a professional team. That was his job. It made it less of an issue for the players, and it should have got the media off his back. I guess they knew better.

Whatever, it doesn't matter. Maybe he didn't think he was going to go. Maybe he knew he was and he just lied about it. The bottom line is, Alabama gave him an offer that he'd be ****ing insane not to take. So he took it.

I like turtles.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:22 AM   #15
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
it is not an unusual thing for coaches to lie to anyone. Dennis Francione, or however you spell his name, swore to his players he was staying. then next day he announced he was going to Texas A&M. and wasn't he Bama's coach at the time?
Yea I hope that guy gets ousted from A&M. From what I hear not many like him there as it is.

Reddit
Old 01-04-2007, 07:24 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

he's the coach. no one likes the coach when the team isn't winning. and they just got smoked in the Holiday Bowl. plus he's pompous. but when you are treated like you are a savior, you tend to get a big head.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:58 AM   #17
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

You know, people are saying all this about how he said he wasn't going, but look at just about every coach who has left for another team or moved up to the NFL or back down. They all say the same thing. I don't know why they are making such a big deal about it. The last coach Bama went after was saying he wasn't even considering it, and was practically almost on the plane when he changed his mind. Do I think it is right? No, but in reality, most coaches do it.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

One of my Auburn following co-worker's sent me this Friday afternoon:

Riversnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:31 PM   #19
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversnake View Post
One of my Auburn following co-worker's sent me this Friday afternoon:

2:

Reddit
Old 01-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

It is not that I am trying to make it sound like I am not glad they got a new coach but Alabama seemed over reckless with the amount they paid Saban. You have to remember Saban is a jumper and he is not going to like being in the shadow of the Bear. Alabama just appeared desperate to offer so much guaranteed knowing Saban's history of jumping ship. This is going to make it harder for him to attract blue chip out of state players not knowing if the coach is going to bail.

The other thing is Alabama's snubbing of the Shula Family. First they Fire Mike Shula then they go down a grab Saban right out from under Don's organization (Don is part owner of the Miami Dolphins). What a way to shun one of the most influential people in Football.

All that aside I hope Saban stays. As a Auburn fan it does not bother or worry me they Hired Saban. Auburns record with Tuberville speaks for itself. In the last 3 years they are 33-5 and only USC and Texas has a better winning record.

From Wikipedia

Auburn Tigers football represents Auburn University in NCAA Division I-A college football. The team, currently coached by Tommy Tuberville, has consistently been one of the most successful National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I-A college football programs in the last 50 years
Old 01-07-2007, 01:47 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude View Post
The other thing is Alabama's snubbing of the Shula Family. First they Fire Mike Shula then they go down a grab Saban right out from under Don's organization (Don is part owner of the Miami Dolphins). What a way to shun one of the most influential people in Football.
I'm glad they did snub the Shula family.

Quote:
From Wikipedia

Auburn Tigers football represents Auburn University in NCAA Division I-A college football. The team, currently coached by Tommy Tuberville, has consistently been one of the most successful National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I-A college football programs in the last 50 years
From Ben Bunt

Auburn sucks.

Good to see you back Brother Corey.

Scary stuff.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:27 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
I'm glad they did snub the Shula family.

From Ben Bunt

Auburn sucks.

Good to see you back Brother Corey.
Actually I would say the Alabama University Alumni, Athletic Director and Board of Directors suck. They have made themselves and Alabama the butt of all the Jokes. Desperate people do stupid thing. Giving a ship jumper like Saban 33 mil guaranteed SUCKS
Old 01-07-2007, 02:36 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Actually I would say the Alabama University Alumni, Athletic Director and Board of Directors suck. They have made themselves and Alabama the butt of all the Jokes. Desperate people do stupid thing. Giving a ship jumper like Saban 33 mil guaranteed SUCKS
Yeah, but Alabama has an elephant for a mascot. So there.

Scary stuff.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:13 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
Yeah, but Alabama has an elephant for a mascot. So there.
OK???
Old 01-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
OK???
Yup. That's right.

Scary stuff.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:50 PM   #26
Regular

Quote:
Wait just a minute here. Who was it not too long ago at Auburn that wanted to throw Tubby to the sharks? You know those Auburn boosters! Shame on them going behind his back. I guess when you get desperate you do stupid things.

Reddit
Old 01-08-2007, 07:56 AM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Wait just a minute here. Who was it not too long ago at Auburn that wanted to throw Tubby to the sharks? You know those Auburn boosters! Shame on them going behind his back. I guess when you get desperate you do stupid things.

Yes and that time the Auburn Hierarchy sucked but Auburn Board of Directors fired the Athletic Director for their secret meeting with Petrino behind Tuberville and the boards back.

Big Money is destroying college football.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:11 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

For some reason its hard for me to even care about foot ball unless its TN vs Bama,Go Vols!!!!!
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:24 AM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknbronco View Post
For some reason its hard for me to even care about foot ball unless its TN vs Bama,Go Vols!!!!!

I like turtles.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Tenn vs Bama was once one of the best rivalry's but it is eclipsed by the Auburn vs LSU game which has become one of the fiercest rivalry's in college football.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:38 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

blah blah blah, it's just bama. why waste our time talking about bama? we need to talk about real teams like ND, USC, and OSU. now those are the teams worth talking about.

j/k

Old 01-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

yeah I ma not into football much
Old 01-08-2007, 05:47 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Tenn vs Bama was once one of the best rivalry's but it is eclipsed by the Auburn vs LSU game which has become one of the fiercest rivalry's in college football.
Yeah, but neither one compares to Alabama vs. Auburn.

It's like Alabama's own little Super Bowl. I remember when I used to work at Winn Dixie and had to work during the game one year. There was not a soul in the store until half time.

Scary stuff.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:50 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

blame it on winn dixie

Old 01-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
blame it on winn dixie
X2

Lower Navigation