SMOKING------Chantix - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 273
SMOKING------Chantix

cigarettes that is, I've been smoking for about 3 decades and I decided to try to kick it with some help of course, I just left my Doc's and he wrote me a script for Chantix.

has anyone tried it? He (my Doc) told me the major side effects is bad dreams, This kind of excites me because I like to dream.

anyways, anyone with any experience with Chantix?

POST ON...........
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
hottcobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,638
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

My friend is using it. It seems to be working. He hasn't had a cig in 3 months. He hasn't tad me of any side affects, but I haven't asked either.
__________________

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Region: Other
Posts: 344
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

Quote:
My friend is using it. It seems to be working. He hasn't had a cig in 3 months. He hasn't tad me of any side affects, but I haven't asked either.
If i am that friend? Chantix made me feel weird at times... however, I havent smoked a cig in a long time but i do smoke a cigars on weekend only not during the week and I use the commit lozenge, 2mg cherry flavor and I know it works
__________________
!
zztop1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
95YellowGT_5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 44
Send a message via AIM to 95YellowGT_5.0
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

he forgot to tell you that it has the ability to give you suicdial thoughts....which happened to me, so needless to say i'm still smoking my marlboros
__________________
1995 Mustang GT, 5.0 302 Cubic Inch, K&N filter, Short Throw Shifter, Off Road X-Pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back, MSD Cap and Rotor Kit, MSD Coil & Wires
95YellowGT_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 273
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

suicdial thoughts

that's wild
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
MarkuzLS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Region: Alabama
Posts: 1,426
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

It made my girlfriend sick, but it seemed to work pretty well for her sister. While she was taking it, anyway.
__________________

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 273
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

so far it seem to do it's job, one thing I was surprised about is when I wake up, after eating I don't even think about a cigarette, those who smoke know the feeling and what I'm talking about. Chantix is suppose to block the nicotine receptors so the desire for nicotine is absent, that's how I understand it to work.
so far it's working well.
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
A.K.A. Baby-D!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,871
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

i know someone who took it and couldn't sleep at all. the bad dreams are underexagerated.. at least they were for him. he became a crazy person. the suicidal thoughts arose with him as well.. he's back to smoking...
__________________
Current:
2011 V6 MCA Premium--the daily
1989 GT--the project
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:13 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
oaktonarcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia Beach
Region: Virginia
Posts: 1,177
Send a message via AIM to oaktonarcher
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

I quit cold turkey, I can only imagine that Chantix would be better than that. I have heard that it can cause some crazy dreams but that seems to be just a side affect to quitting smoking too. I mean the gum/patch and just over all lack of smoking will cause you to have weird dreams. Even just the lack of nicotine will make you have lower self esteem for awhile.
__________________
Delta Sigma Phi
building better men since 1899


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You still have a quote in your sig from a guy that hasn't signed in in almost 2 years
www.DeltaArmsCo.com
oaktonarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
GUDNEVL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 84
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

i tried it for a while and the side effects suck bad,i had rather die of smoking than to kept having suicidal type thoughts and just an a around ******* while i took it
__________________
1989 mustang gt,short headers,3.08 gears,off road h pipe,flows,cold air intake,smog pump delete,fresh tune up,push button start,gt fog light fix ,everything else pretty much stock
most recent mod:blown head gasket
GUDNEVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
Registered User
Newbie
 
Jameson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 16
If your really interested in stopping smoking the process really isn't that tough. I can say that because I smoked for about seven years. I didn't smoke that much (maybe 2 packs a week), but it seemed that it dictated everything I did. I was always making sure I had plenty of smokes with me if I knew I wasn't going to be able to get any for a while.

Not to mention in the mornings I was always spitting up this mucus crap. On top of all this I was having problems sleeping and breathing.

The most common misconception is that smokers actually enjoy smoking. That's because you've become caught up in the nicotine trap that is costing you lots of money and making someone a billionaire. In fact, all smokers actually wish they never started at all.

Some people believe that cigarettes are a way to relieve stress. When in fact they are more than likely creating the stress you're experiencing. Every time you light one up you behind part of the nicotine cycle. Your body begins to withdrawal from nicotine about as fast as you put out your cigarette.

I smoked my last cigarette roughly a year ago. I have to say, I don't miss it at all. I quit using the Easy Way. I didn't cut down first, I didn't use patches, or substitutions. If you quit using will power alone, it will not work. You must eliminate your desire to smoke.

If you really want to quit and have the ability to open your mind then I would suggest reading Allen Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking."

Everyone that reads that book quits smoking, it's amazing!
Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:46 AM   #12
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

ok... i smoked for 22yr or so. i was smoking 2 packs + a day. when i devided it up, i was smoking one cigarette for every 15min. i was awake. i was a true chain smoker. i quit with chantix, and next month (feb) will be 2 yrs smoke free. did i get crazy dreams? yes.. did i wanna kill everyone?...yes did i get depressed?..yes suicidal? yes, but i blame my x for that..lol. it was pure misery and an emotional roller coaster for almost 3 months. but i needed to quit...and i wanted to quit... i was willing to do wutver it took to quit. and after my second attempt of quiting on chantix...im here 2 yrs later smoke free.

just my two cents....
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:48 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
meteorachick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,347
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

my partner at work started it last month, had been smoking for years and she has been smoke free for a month now. she said only problem is she is constantly hungry from it
__________________
In God We Trust. All Others Checked NCIC.

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #14
Registered User
Newbie
 
Jameson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 16
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorachick View Post
my partner at work started it last month, had been smoking for years and she has been smoke free for a month now. she said only problem is she is constantly hungry from it
That's more than likely cause by one of two things. Either it is because she enjoys food more now because food tastes better, or it is because when you quit smoking and your body starts to withdrawal from nicotine, your stomach will get a pain in it that is very similar to a hunger pain. Often times people mistake this pain for hunger and decide to eat something instead of smoking a cigarette. If you want to quit without gaining weight, you can't substitute food for cigarettes.

Once you quit smoking, you have to quit smoking things with nicotine in them completely, or you will once again fall into the deadly loop again. They are like lay's potato chips, you can't smoke just one cigarette. There is no such thing as people who can control their smoking. I don't care if someone just smoked 1 cigarette a day. Just imagine how miserable they feel all day long while they withdrawal from nicotine and then they smoke a cigarette and start the whole process all over again.

Smoking is disgusting. My wife absolutely hated it. I thought I actually enjoyed smoking because it pissed her off a little bit. I thought I was in control of smoking, but instead it controlled everything I did. I never had a problem going to a bar that allowed smoking until I quit. Now I can't even go to my favorite bar anymore because I can't stand the smoke at all.

I had some crazy dreams when I quit as well, except mine actually encouraged me to continue to stay a nonsmoker. I would dream about smoking a cigarette and then wake up feeling dissappointed with myself because I thought I had smoked a cigarette at first and was going to have to start all over again. Except when I realized how disappointed in myself I would if I smoked another cigarette it made quitting that much easier for me.

Smokers remember four things:

1. You don't enjoy smoking, no smoker actually does. In fact all smokers wish they would quit, or had never started in the first place

2. Smoking is not a habit, it is an addiction that is no different from an addiction to Heroin...the only difference is nicotine allows most people to remain relatively functional at school, work, home, etc.

3. The mindset that quitting is "hard" in fact makes it that much harder. You must quit with the mindset that your aren't actually giving anything up, instead your gaining the whole rest of your life.

and

4. That "craving" feeling that you get is actually your body withdrawaling from Nicotine. That "feeling" of relaxation you experience for about 5 seconds while smoking your cigarette, you know the one your always chasing after (its why you continue to smoke), well that's the feeling that Nonsmokers feel all day long. Finally, once you realize that smoking is not a crutch of kind and that it is actually an addiction, then your well on your way to quitting.

I can pretty much come back to anything a smoker says "makes" them smoke. We all had our stupid reasons to try it in the first place. And before you even knew it you were trapped. Smoking is the number one disease in the world.

Someone once told me that, "they didnt care about quitting because they could get hit my a bus tomorrow." That is just utterly stupid. You can't control if a bus hits you walking across the street, but you can quit smoking and greatly reduce the health risks associated with it.

If your really serious about quitting. I know you taking the Chantix stuff and that it's help a lot of people. Try reading Allen Carr's Easy Way Book while taking that stuff. I bet you'll be able to quit and won't have to even complete take all of that pill. Everyone I know that has read that book, has quit. It is simply amazing.
Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #15
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorachick View Post
my partner at work started it last month, had been smoking for years and she has been smoke free for a month now. she said only problem is she is constantly hungry from it
yup, i gained sixty pounds. i enjoy different foods, wines, and some liquors. not to mention a new narc dog sense of smell. i can smell someone smoking a cigarette in my truck, with my windows up at a stop light.
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Loraco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Arizona
Posts: 548
Send a message via Yahoo to Loraco
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

I smoked for 6 years not a heavy smoker but enough I quit cold turkey 3 years ago now I cant stand the smell or to be around it at all!!
Loraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
OsirisGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York
Region: New York
Posts: 1,262
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
That's more than likely cause by one of two things. Either it is because she enjoys food more now because food tastes better, or it is because when you quit smoking and your body starts to withdrawal from nicotine, your stomach will get a pain in it that is very similar to a hunger pain. Often times people mistake this pain for hunger and decide to eat something instead of smoking a cigarette. If you want to quit without gaining weight, you can't substitute food for cigarettes.

Once you quit smoking, you have to quit smoking things with nicotine in them completely, or you will once again fall into the deadly loop again. They are like lay's potato chips, you can't smoke just one cigarette. There is no such thing as people who can control their smoking. I don't care if someone just smoked 1 cigarette a day. Just imagine how miserable they feel all day long while they withdrawal from nicotine and then they smoke a cigarette and start the whole process all over again.

Smoking is disgusting. My wife absolutely hated it. I thought I actually enjoyed smoking because it pissed her off a little bit. I thought I was in control of smoking, but instead it controlled everything I did. I never had a problem going to a bar that allowed smoking until I quit. Now I can't even go to my favorite bar anymore because I can't stand the smoke at all.

I had some crazy dreams when I quit as well, except mine actually encouraged me to continue to stay a nonsmoker. I would dream about smoking a cigarette and then wake up feeling dissappointed with myself because I thought I had smoked a cigarette at first and was going to have to start all over again. Except when I realized how disappointed in myself I would if I smoked another cigarette it made quitting that much easier for me.

Smokers remember four things:

1. You don't enjoy smoking, no smoker actually does. In fact all smokers wish they would quit, or had never started in the first place

2. Smoking is not a habit, it is an addiction that is no different from an addiction to Heroin...the only difference is nicotine allows most people to remain relatively functional at school, work, home, etc.

3. The mindset that quitting is "hard" in fact makes it that much harder. You must quit with the mindset that your aren't actually giving anything up, instead your gaining the whole rest of your life.

and

4. That "craving" feeling that you get is actually your body withdrawaling from Nicotine. That "feeling" of relaxation you experience for about 5 seconds while smoking your cigarette, you know the one your always chasing after (its why you continue to smoke), well that's the feeling that Nonsmokers feel all day long. Finally, once you realize that smoking is not a crutch of kind and that it is actually an addiction, then your well on your way to quitting.

I can pretty much come back to anything a smoker says "makes" them smoke. We all had our stupid reasons to try it in the first place. And before you even knew it you were trapped. Smoking is the number one disease in the world.

Someone once told me that, "they didnt care about quitting because they could get hit my a bus tomorrow." That is just utterly stupid. You can't control if a bus hits you walking across the street, but you can quit smoking and greatly reduce the health risks associated with it.

If your really serious about quitting. I know you taking the Chantix stuff and that it's help a lot of people. Try reading Allen Carr's Easy Way Book while taking that stuff. I bet you'll be able to quit and won't have to even complete take all of that pill. Everyone I know that has read that book, has quit. It is simply amazing.
How about the fact that smoking was found to decrease the risk of Parkinson's disease?
The effects of nicotine on Parkinson's disease. [Brain Cogn. 2000 Jun-Aug] - PubMed result
http://www.bat.uoi.gr/files/animal_p..._Parkinson.pdf
Cigarette smoking and Parkinson's disease. [Neurology. 1986] - PubMed result

For the record, I smoked because I enjoyed smoking. I know what I like and I know what I do not like. I know when I'm addicted, high, sober or when I have a habit. I could smoke 1 cigarette a day or I could smoke 5 at one sitting at a bar (and I smoked filter-less Lucky Strikes). I've been to Hookah bars too because I enjoy(ed) smoking. And while I've thought about having one (especially when I'm out with my friends at bars or when my coworkers come and find me to ask me step out with them), I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms (although smokers do suffer from these) or cravings and not a single cigarette for a while now. I quit cold turkey.

What I'm trying to get at is don't judge people just because they are smokers. As for the "...getting hit by the bus..." I think you are missing the meaning. The truth is someone can die any minute, by any means and we should do the things we enjoy and take pleasure in. Life is meant to be lived, if a race car driver is injured or dies in a race is no more controllable then smoking and the partaker is aware of the associated risks. Guns might be "utterly stupid" to some people, I guess that means we should ban them outright too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicMist View Post
OsirisGuy is correct
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #18
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
How about the fact that smoking was found to decrease the risk of Parkinson's disease?
The effects of nicotine on Parkinson's disease. [Brain Cogn. 2000 Jun-Aug] - PubMed result
http://www.bat.uoi.gr/files/animal_p..._Parkinson.pdf
Cigarette smoking and Parkinson's disease. [Neurology. 1986] - PubMed result

For the record, I smoked because I enjoyed smoking. I know what I like and I know what I do not like. I know when I'm addicted, high, sober or when I have a habit. I could smoke 1 cigarette a day or I could smoke 5 at one sitting at a bar (and I smoked filter-less Lucky Strikes). I've been to Hookah bars too because I enjoy(ed) smoking. And while I've thought about having one (especially when I'm out with my friends at bars or when my coworkers come and find me to ask me step out with them), I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms (although smokers do suffer from these) or cravings and not a single cigarette for a while now. I quit cold turkey.

What I'm trying to get at is don't judge people just because they are smokers. As for the "...getting hit by the bus..." I think you are missing the meaning. The truth is someone can die any minute, by any means and we should do the things we enjoy and take pleasure in. Life is meant to be lived, if a race car driver is injured or dies in a race is no more controllable then smoking and the partaker is aware of the associated risks. Guns might be "utterly stupid" to some people, I guess that means we should ban them outright too.
i also smoked cause i enjoyed it...lol
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:55 PM   #19
Registered User
Newbie
 
Jameson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 16
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

How many people a year experience Parkinson's Disease? 14,593 deaths reported in USA in 1999. How many die a year from a smoke related death? 264,087 on average per year from 1995 - 1999. That means for every one person that dies from Parkinson's Disease, 18 people die from a smoking related disease. I'll take my chances with Parkinson's...

Why is it that people will pay so much attention to somebody that's smoked for forty years and never been affected by it, yet ignore the masses of people of that are diagnosed with lung cancer, heart disease, etc everyday? I used to use that excuse to smoke as well. My father never smoked a day in his life, but he contracted cancer in his nasal cavity and passed away after 7 long and painful years later. So I used that excuse as well, until I realized how dumb that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
For the record, I smoked because I enjoyed smoking. I know what I like and I know what I do not like. I know when I'm addicted, high, sober or when I have a habit. I could smoke 1 cigarette a day or I could smoke 5 at one sitting at a bar (and I smoked filter-less Lucky Strikes). I've been to Hookah bars too because I enjoy(ed) smoking. And while I've thought about having one (especially when I'm out with my friends at bars or when my coworkers come and find me to ask me step out with them), I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms (although smokers do suffer from these) or cravings and not a single cigarette for a while now. I quit cold turkey.
If you enjoyed smoking cigarettes then why did you stop? Do you remember your first cigarette? How it made you choke? How awful it tasted? How you became immediately lethargic as a result? You claim your know when your addicted...also a typical smoker's excuse. Being aware that your addicted does you no good unless you do something about it. Heroine users know they are addicted, yet they continue to get their fix...awareness did nothing for them if they don't stop.

Did you know that in the 80s and 90s Cigarette companies decided to do research on a cigarette that was nicotine free. You want to know what they found out? No one would continue to smoke them for an extended period of time; research was immediately halted.

I'm glad that you quit cold turkey. IMHO, it's the only way to quit. The key is to be a happy Non-smoker and not view it as giving something up. Substituting smoking with patches or gum might work for a small percentage of tobacco users, but the real problem is the nicotine. Patches and Gum put nicotine back into your system thus making quitting harder. My opinion of the patches and gum is just the pharmaceutical companies cashing in on the nicotine industry just like tobacco companies have. I hate to say this, but just because you posted in this forum, or read it for that matter, is proof that you wanted to quit.

If your telling me that you enjoyed experiencing spitting up mucus all the time, constantly being short of breath, wheezing, coughing, a weakened immune system, the horrible smell, the stained yellow teeth, and of the other consequences I may have missed (there are so many) then you must be a glutton for punishment. Smoking is like trying on shoes that are 2 sizes too small, just so you can experience the feeling of taking them off...What sense does that make?

Still I stand by the fact that every smoker really wants to quit. If you going to tell me that the thought, "I wish I could quit" or "I wish I had never started" never crossed through your mind when you were a smoker then your lying to everyone on this forum, as well as, yourself. Whether you want to admit it or not, nicotine is an addiction...period. The buzz and dizziness that you experience from smoking is not a buzz at all; in fact that is your body fighting off the poison you just put in it.

Also, your lying if you say you never got cranky or were in a bad mood when you actually wanted a cigarette but for some reason you couldn't have one (i.e. at an airport, on a plane, etc.). Guess what...nonsmokers don't experience that because they aren't addicted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
What I'm trying to get at is don't judge people just because they are smokers. As for the "...getting hit by the bus..." I think you are missing the meaning. The truth is someone can die any minute, by any means and we should do the things we enjoy and take pleasure in. Life is meant to be lived, if a race car driver is injured or dies in a race is no more controllable then smoking and the partaker is aware of the associated risks. Guns might be "utterly stupid" to some people, I guess that means we should ban them outright too.
Osiris your right, life is meant to be enjoyed and lived. Why live your life just killing yourself one cigarette at time. Smokers are nothing but slaves to their addiction.

I agree that smokers shouldn't be judged. However, lets be real, smoking is no longer "cool" and it is socially frowned upon. For a good reason I might add. Smoker's feel like they are judged, especially now, because they experience highs and lows of self esteem. In most states smokers are required to smoke outside or only in bars that allow smoking...once again giving them the perception that they are "outsiders."

I have not missed the point of the "getting hit by a bus" excuse; you actually did. The point is if you can significantly reduce the chances of cancer, heart diseases, emphysema, etc just by quitting (because this is a factor of your health that you can actually control, just like how much exercise you get) why wouldn't you quit? Please tell me one benefit you receive from smoking? You can't...because there are absolutely no benefits from smoking whatsoever...Oh I forgot...it reduces your chance of Parkinson's Disease (a disease that has been continually overlooked by the medical field because it isn't as serious as things like cancer, heart disease, strokes, etc)

Guns and smoking can not be compared to one another. That's comparing apples and oranges. Owning a gun doesn't increase (on a significant basis) the chance your going to die from a gun shot wound...however, its proven that smoking increases the risk of heart attack, stroke, cancer, etc; which any one of which could kill you.

Your analogy of the race car driver is irrelevant as well. The race car driver enjoys racing because it provides his body with adrenaline, perhaps also money, if you say Jeff Gordon. Race Car driver also take necessary precautions, i.e. HANS devices, seat belts, helmets, etc. There are no smoking precautions to take. And again, there are no benefits to smoking.

Smoking is a very tricky thing because even some of the most intelligent people in the world have gotten caught up in the nicotine trap. Did you know that in the 60's and 70's when smoking was not as glorified in movies and television, that smoking actually reduced. However, tobacco companies begin using product placement as a result of government regulations on advertising. Guess what happened? Smoking began to increase again. It's all brainwashing. Once you realize this, it's easy to stop.

Seriously look how pathetic this is...
If your one of the people that believe your in control of your smoking or that you will stop before things ever got this bad, your lying to yourself and feeding the addiction. There are two main differences between a nicotine and a heroine addiction. 1. A nicotine user can typically function through day to day activities & 2. Heroin killed less than 17,000 (17,000 is all 2009 deaths linked to drug use, not including nicotine) while 443,000 people died from a smoking related disease in America last year (roughly 1 in 5 deaths are caused by smoking).

If you want to have discussion about smoking that is worth having...why not discuss legalization of marijuana, because I'm totally on the other side of that issue...and in 2009 deaths related to smoking marijuana...zero, yet that's illegal and nicotine isn't. That's because Tobacco is a bigger money maker that makes people keep coming back for more.

IF YOUR SERIOUS ABOUT QUITTING...READ THIS BOOK! The most effective quit smoking method around - Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking
Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #20
Registered User
Newbie
 
Jameson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 16
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
i also smoked cause i enjoyed it...lol
why quit then? why stop doing something you enjoy? That's the nicotine brainwashing!

That's like saying I enjoy having sex ...but I'm gonna quit.
Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #21
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

well i used chantix to quit smoking...lol
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #22
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
why quit then? why stop doing something you enjoy? That's the nicotine brainwashing!

That's like saying I enjoy having sex ...but I'm gonna quit.
thanks to smoking, i have to use an inhaler after sex wit my gf....not so funny
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #23
Registered User
Newbie
 
Jameson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 16
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
well i used chantix to quit smoking...lol
Still doesn't answer my question...If you honestly enjoyed it then who cares about the risks...seize the day...smoke away!

Why take Chantix if you enjoy smoking? You don't quit doing something you enjoy.

Synonyms of enjoy:
1. appreciate, fancy, relish, savor.

None of those things sound like anything I would want to stop.
Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #24
Registered User
Newbie
 
Jameson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 16
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
thanks to smoking, i have to use an inhaler after sex wit my gf....not so funny
wow that sucks. sound like smoking is real enjoyable then. case and point.
Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #25
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
wow that sucks. sound like smoking is real enjoyable then. case and point.
dont get it twisted, if it werent for the obvious health issues i would still smoke. i enjoyed smoking, which is y most ppl wont quit despite the risk. why do ppl race despite the inherit risk..they enjoy it. some things have to take priority. i encourage everyone around me to quit smoking. but honestly, i would if i could. some ppl never have adverse health effects, im one of those ppl that do. i cant do my job if i cant breath.
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #26
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
Still doesn't answer my question...If you honestly enjoyed it then who cares about the risks...seize the day...smoke away!

Why take Chantix if you enjoy smoking? You don't quit doing something you enjoy.

Synonyms of enjoy:
1. appreciate, fancy, relish, savor.

None of those things sound like anything I would want to stop.
are you high or something? or do u secretly work for the tobacco industry? i encourage everyone to quit wether they want to or not. however..it usually takes a circumstance or situation to get most ppl to quit. i encourage ppl to quit beforeit comes to that point in their life
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #27
Registered User
Newbie
 
Jameson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 16
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
dont get it twisted, if it werent for the obvious health issues i would still smoke. i enjoyed smoking, which is y most ppl wont quit despite the risk. why do ppl race despite the inherit risk..they enjoy it. some things have to take priority. i encourage everyone around me to quit smoking. but honestly, i would if i could. some ppl never have adverse health effects, im one of those ppl that do. i cant do my job if i cant breath.
I don't have anything twisted here.

Your right some people don't have any health issues from smoking, but the majority do.

What is enjoyable about smoking? It is provides no benefit whatsoever. NO BENEFIT. Maybe a "pseudo" buzz that lasts all of 10 seconds? That's worth the inhaler after sex? Man, I remember all those incrediblely bad head aches I used to get when I smoked and those sucked.

All the repercussions of smoking are not enjoyable. I'm not making fun you by any means, but **** dude you have to use freaking inhaler after sex, that's pretty bad... I just think it is retarded that you still say you enjoy smoking even though it has done what it has done to you. What is enjoyable about that?

People that say they enjoy smoking are the ones that have it twisted, because honestly there is nothing enjoyable about it. It is merely part of the nicotine trap. It's all part of the addiction that just fattens the executives of big tobacco's pockets.

You "enjoy" breathing smoke...I'll enjoy breathing fresh air and not ever having to worry about all the bad **** caused from Smoking.
Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #28
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

perhaps u misread...i been smoke free for 2 years. i smoked almost 2.5 paks a day. that would qualify as an addiction. there are receptors in your brain that make u wanna do stuff..make u think u enjoy it. i smoked for almost 22yrs. i still have moments that i want a cigarette. alot actualy. this like a heroin or crack addict still desires drugs years after being clean. they do the drugs cause they enjoy it. you come off like someone that understands, but at the end of the day i dont think anything i posted or sum of the other ppl on here have clicked to u. cause u come off judmental as fuk!
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #29
Registered User
Newbie
 
Jameson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 16
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

No I didn't misread and I am not trying to come off as judgmental by any means, more like brutally honest. The point I've been trying to make is that 1). it is an addicition...nothing more or less, which you just agreed with. and 2). Because of the nicotine in cigarettes, smokers have a perception that they enjoy smoking, however when in fact deep down they really wish they were nonsmokers, which you also just agreed with. It's all about perception.

Honestly, I'm just glad that I was able to get out of the nicotine trap after only smoking for 7 years. If I lit one up today I would say...shew, "why did I ever think I enjoyed this..." but on the other hand if I smoked just one cigarette I'd eventually be back in the loop/trap again.

What I'm saying is we all have **** in our life that we have to deal with. Being a non smoker is as simple as making a decision to be a non smoker. It doesn't matter if you smoked 14 year more than me or not. We were both in the trap and got out it. Your probably a lot older than I am as you smoked almost as long as I have been alive. Just as I shouldn't be so judgmental, perhaps you shouldn't be bitter about the consequences you've experienced from smoking. No one forced us to smoke, we did it even after we knew the health risks. I still will stand by the fact that all smoker's really do want to be nonsmokers and they can if they make that decision. I'm glad the Chantix worked for you and you were able to quit smoking. (And I really mean that!)

But is it wrong of me to experience the emotion of pity for someone that I see lighting up a cigarette and that's stuck in the same trap I once was. I don't believe so. Sorry that the truth can hurt sometimes, but that's life.

All I have done is explain what helped me quit smoking, and let people know that their are other solutions and ways to successfully quit smoking besides taking a pill. Seems like there is a pill to fix just about everything nowadays, but the truth is not everything can be fixed by a pill. While you are one success story with Chantix, there many people that have been adversely affected by that drug as well.

I quit without having any suicidal thoughts at all. So, all I'm saying is give this book I mentioned a f'n chance. Hell, it only costs 14.99, roughly the price of about 3 packs, depending on your brand. Versus the over $600 a 12 week course of chantix costs I think it's a better deal because it worked for me.

Allen Carr went from Smoking 5 packs a day for 30 years to making it his life mission to get people to stop smoking. He has helped millions of people quit.

BTW, SVT I know a thing or two about people being judgmental...I'm married to a nonsmoker. Quitting around someone that is a nonsmoker can be tough if they aren't very supportive or if they put any negative thoughts in your mind.

Aw..fuk it, as judgmental as it sounds...Smoking is the dumbest thing ever, quit now before you have to face serious consquences (that statement was not directed at SVTLX, because he quit two years ago...see I did read your posts). Hopefully you enjoy sarcasm. The next one you light up could be the one that kills you.

In all seriousness though, I apologize If I did come off as judgmental to anyone, as that was not my intention. Quitting can be easy!
Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #30
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

welll i thanked god for making the person(s) that invented chantix. god knows that some of us need more help than books or bilbles. i didnt mind spending the money on chantix cause i was spending it on cigarettes anyway. it's the only drug on the market with a 50 percent success rate. all the other patches, loseges, and wutever are well under 10%. i dont care wut any uses to quit. chantix, other pills, gums, wutever. everyone doesnt have the same will power to make those decisions. that's y god invented pharmacutical companies and engineers. they all make a difference in your life one way or another. 30yrs ago you would have totaly been in the minority with your mind set. my mom told me when her and i my dad quit that all they used was jesus. that's fantastic. jesus also made the guy or ppl that invented chantix to help me quit smoking. not to mention countless other ppl's lives who have positivley changed. wutever works...everyone is different
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #31
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

[QUOTE=Jameson;
Quitting can be easy![/QUOTE]

but staying smoke free is harder.....
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #32
Registered User
Newbie
 
Jameson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 16
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
but staying smoke free is harder.....
Not if you quit with the right method. Once you eliminate your desire to smoke its gone.

I never mentioned anything related to religion in my previous posts, and I believe that is topic best not covered on a message board. Nor in any way did I compare Allen Carr to Jesus or his book to the bible.

The other methods have 10% success rate because they fail to eliminate the problem...the nicotine. Patches, gums, etc are all smoking substitutes that are designed to help cut back. Cutting back is the worst and hardest way to quit, because withdrawals continue and become progressive worse. It isn't like your body learns to deal with less nicotine until eventually you just quit. That isn't how nicotine works in your system. If you can make it 5 days with no nicotine and choose not to substitute anything for smoking (i.e. food) you can successfully become a non smoker without having to gain weight or suffer from cravings.

I like how you refered to Will power, as will power has nothing to do with quiting or remaining a nonsmoker. If you quit using the will power method, you will eventually fail. One of two things happens, you become regretful you quit because you feel as though your "missing out" or "depriving yourself of something you enjoy" or two you continue to wait on a reason to start smoking again. In fact it actually takes a lot of will power to continue to smoke everyday, considering how awful cigarettes taste and smell.

Congrats on quitting, but I'm not sold that you've quit for good just from some comments you've made here and there. It seems that your regretful and bitter about quitting. Hopefully for your sake, I'm wrong though. Becoming a non smoker is 100% mental.

Btw, I wasn't around 30 years ago, so my mind set wouldn't have been different because I didn't exist yet.

That's great that you are thanking Jesus for creating the people for making Chantix, but what about the families that lost loved ones because they committed suicide...are you thanking Jesus for those people too? The people that invented Chantix are thanking Jesus that you smoked (as in used to smoke) so they could find another way to make a buck off you.

Chantix has a 50% success rate...the other half commit suicide. (Again sarcasm intended there).

It's the people that hype up "how hard" quitting is that help keep existing smokers in the nicotine trap.
Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:06 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
OsirisGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York
Region: New York
Posts: 1,262
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

My response,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
How many people a year experience Parkinson's Disease? 14,593 deaths reported in USA in 1999. How many die a year from a smoke related death? 264,087 on average per year from 1995 - 1999. That means for every one person that dies from Parkinson's Disease, 18 people die from a smoking related disease. I'll take my chances with Parkinson's...
Parkinson's Disease (PD) may have killed, by your estimates, only 5% of the total deaths associated with smoking, however, your estimates for smoking (1) Range over a 6 year period and (2) involve smoking related deaths which can be caused from second hand smoke (acute and chronic exposure), which studies have recently found even acute second hand smoke exposure can be harmful. If we average smoking related deaths per year (although, I'm sure this average number may have been way off in 1999; a comparable year for PD deaths), we would have 44,014.5 smoking related deaths, which now makes PD deaths closer to 33% or 1/3 the amount of smoking related deaths.

Also notice how it is smoking deaths. Smoking in general is harmful. You could set a warehouse full vitamins on fire and if you inhale the smoke it is harmful. The inhalation of smoke, and the diseases associated with it constitute more than just nicotine. While nicotine has been identified as a toxin and the primary cause for cigarette and other tobacco product addictions, many other chemicals like hydrogen cyanide, carbon mon- and dioxide are present. All of which are naturally occurring in nature.

Quote:
Why is it that people will pay so much attention to somebody that's smoked for forty years and never been affected by it, yet ignore the masses of people of that are diagnosed with lung cancer, heart disease, etc everyday? I used to use that excuse to smoke as well. My father never smoked a day in his life, but he contracted cancer in his nasal cavity and passed away after 7 long and painful years later. So I used that excuse as well, until I realized how dumb that is.
The more time you are exposed to something the more of an effect it has on you, whether it be smoke, power lines, or even dog hair. The funny thing about allergies is that you can be exposed all the time, once, or never at all to have them and allergies can come and go without explanation.

In the US the two top causes of death are Heart Disease (1 in 5 deaths) and Cancer (1 in 7 deaths). Now even though smoking is a contributor to these two, heart disease can also be attributed to the American lifestyle and high rate of obesity more so. Smoking is done all over the world but their cancer and heart disease death rates aren't like ours. Now since heart disease can be closely related to dietary conditions, including exercise; then surely it must be cancer only cause by tobacco smoke? Unfortunately cancer has many different forms and is caused by many different factors. In fact cancer has large affinity from genetics. The malignant (and lethal) cancers here in the US are completely different in other areas of the world, which also has to do a lot with dietary conditions. [Note: compare diagnosed cancers in Japan to those in the US].

For the record, my grandfather, whom I never met, died of emphysema because of smoking and my family has many smokers and ex-smokers.

Quote:
If you enjoyed smoking cigarettes then why did you stop?
I got tired of paying $12 for a pack

Quote:
Do you remember your first cigarette? How it made you choke? How awful it tasted? How you became immediately lethargic as a result? You claim your know when your addicted...also a typical smoker's excuse. Being aware that your addicted does you no good unless you do something about it. Heroine users know they are addicted, yet they continue to get their fix...awareness did nothing for them if they don't stop.
I honestly can't compare to any of that because it never happened to me. I rarely became sick or coughed or lazy. In fact I didn't have my first cigarette until I was 21 years old.

As for my claim, it still holds true. I'm not your typical smoker and I am also self aware. For instance I know when to quit drinking when I've had too much unlike your typical drinker. Like I said I wasn't addicted, if I was addicted I'd have withdrawal symptoms. Like you said heroin users may know they are addicted but have to do something about it, but most of them don't want to do anything. They are addicted because of that euphoric high they get which is 1000X stronger then nicotine. Nicotine and Heroin share very little similar biological mechanisms in the body and are really therefore incomparable drugs. Heroin is converted to morphine in the body which acts on multiple types of Opiod receptors in the body, which also release Dopamine. Heroin is also a depressant. Nicotine acts are nicotonic acetylcholine receptors, which inhibit MAOI activity causing a build up of serotonin, noroepinephrine, and dopamine. While at high doses nicotine has sedative effects, low doses produces stimulant effects. Probably the biggest similarity is they eventually both affect dopamine metabolism.

Quote:
Did you know that in the 80s and 90s Cigarette companies decided to do research on a cigarette that was nicotine free. You want to know what they found out? No one would continue to smoke them for an extended period of time; research was immediately halted.
And when coke changed their formula people stopped buying it. Their research was misguided, and in my opinion wrong, because they took advantage of the properties of nicotine. Why would a company sell something no one wants? Many companies try to make you believe you need something that you don't just to make money [for instance, the snuggie?]

Quote:
I'm glad that you quit cold turkey. IMHO, it's the only way to quit. The key is to be a happy Non-smoker and not view it as giving something up. Substituting smoking with patches or gum might work for a small percentage of tobacco users, but the real problem is the nicotine. Patches and Gum put nicotine back into your system thus making quitting harder. My opinion of the patches and gum is just the pharmaceutical companies cashing in on the nicotine industry just like tobacco companies have. I hate to say this, but just because you posted in this forum, or read it for that matter, is proof that you wanted to quit.
Gum and patches are designed to release smaller, controlled doses of nicotine. Talking about heroin use, many addicts are treated with methadone, which is also converted into morphine in the body in smaller amounts. The idea is to gradually reduce the amount of substance needed to get a "fix". Substance use causes tolerance which means longer use requires a longer "down stepping". I posted here because, well when I can, I try and post in every thread! Hey I'm a post whore!

Quote:
If your telling me that you enjoyed experiencing spitting up mucus all the time, constantly being short of breath, wheezing, coughing, a weakened immune system, the horrible smell, the stained yellow teeth, and of the other consequences I may have missed (there are so many) then you must be a glutton for punishment. Smoking is like trying on shoes that are 2 sizes too small, just so you can experience the feeling of taking them off...What sense does that make?
I guess I am being a bit harsh. Again, I had none of these. In fact I know a few smokers who are part of the world's finest police force. Of course you just have to exercise more (my opinion).

Quote:
Still I stand by the fact that every smoker really wants to quit. If you going to tell me that the thought, "I wish I could quit" or "I wish I had never started" never crossed through your mind when you were a smoker then your lying to everyone on this forum, as well as, yourself. Whether you want to admit it or not, nicotine is an addiction...period. The buzz and dizziness that you experience from smoking is not a buzz at all; in fact that is your body fighting off the poison you just put in it.

Also, your lying if you say you never got cranky or were in a bad mood when you actually wanted a cigarette but for some reason you couldn't have one (i.e. at an airport, on a plane, etc.). Guess what...nonsmokers don't experience that because they aren't addicted.
Well I guess I'm a dirty liar. I quit simply because I couldn't afford it. The fighting off the poison and the buzz are actually just as they are. Peeing a lot, vomiting, and in general being drunk from drinking is your body fighting off the alcohol. The difference between medicine and a poison is only the dose. The body goes through the same course of actions with every substance that goes into your body, the side effects are just different.

I get more cranky when I don't get enough sleep. As for not being able to have one, I have incredible patience. As for addiction, there are many types. Just because you don't smoke doesn't mean nonsmokers don't have other withdrawal symptoms.

Quote:
Osiris your right, life is meant to be enjoyed and lived. Why live your life just killing yourself one cigarette at time. Smokers are nothing but slaves to their addiction.
It is not my place to tell people how to live their lives. If they want to be addicted, then so be it.

Quote:
I agree that smokers shouldn't be judged. However, lets be real, smoking is no longer "cool" and it is socially frowned upon. For a good reason I might add. Smoker's feel like they are judged, especially now, because they experience highs and lows of self esteem. In most states smokers are required to smoke outside or only in bars that allow smoking...once again giving them the perception that they are "outsiders."
You agree that smokers shouldn't be judged, yet you judge them. They feel they are being judged because they are.

Customer: Smoking session please.
Host: I'm sorry we don't serve your kind here.

Sound familiar? Maybe they'll make signs "No dogs, no blacks, no Irish, no smokers". You are singling out a group based upon who they've decided to be. Addiction or not. Should we refuse service to alcoholics? Heroin addicts? Over-eaters? People with obsessive compulsive disorder?

Quote:
I have not missed the point of the "getting hit by a bus" excuse; you actually did. The point is if you can significantly reduce the chances of cancer, heart diseases, emphysema, etc just by quitting (because this is a factor of your health that you can actually control, just like how much exercise you get) why wouldn't you quit? Please tell me one benefit you receive from smoking? You can't...because there are absolutely no benefits from smoking whatsoever...Oh I forgot...it reduces your chance of Parkinson's Disease (a disease that has been continually overlooked by the medical field because it isn't as serious as things like cancer, heart disease, strokes, etc)
I refer to my comments on heart disease and cancer.

Huh, I guess PD is a completely ridiculous disease. Michael J. Fox is just faking it, what a dick! I wouldn't think the entire medical community would have the same opinion about a degenerate neurological disorder that is still poorly understood. I didn't realize these things were on the bottom of the list in the eyes of medicine.

Quote:
Guns and smoking can not be compared to one another. That's comparing apples and oranges. Owning a gun doesn't increase (on a significant basis) the chance your going to die from a gun shot wound...however, its proven that smoking increases the risk of heart attack, stroke, cancer, etc; which any one of which could kill you.

Your analogy of the race car driver is irrelevant as well. The race car driver enjoys racing because it provides his body with adrenaline, perhaps also money, if you say Jeff Gordon. Race Car driver also take necessary precautions, i.e. HANS devices, seat belts, helmets, etc. There are no smoking precautions to take. And again, there are no benefits to smoking.
Actually the chances of surviving from a gunshot wound is stacked against you. There are very few areas of the body that lack vital organs or arteries. My comparison with guns is quite valid because my reference is to the fact that guns are designed to kill people. Cigarettes were not designed for that purpose. Why should we ban a "luxury" (so to speak) with a possible undesirable side effect instead of a "luxury" designed with the purpose of that undesirable side effect?

All medications you take offer the same side effects to an extent, and death is always one of them. Many people do not realize that water, the bearer of all living organisms, has a relatively low lethal dose.

I could take precautions smoking too. Exercise, limiting intake. That doesn't change anything. Smoking and racing are conscious risks

Quote:
Smoking is a very tricky thing because even some of the most intelligent people in the world have gotten caught up in the nicotine trap. Did you know that in the 60's and 70's when smoking was not as glorified in movies and television, that smoking actually reduced. However, tobacco companies begin using product placement as a result of government regulations on advertising. Guess what happened? Smoking began to increase again. It's all brainwashing. Once you realize this, it's easy to stop.

Seriously look how pathetic this is... [image]
That's what product placement and advertising are supposed to do, increase revenue. You can't blame companies because they marketing strategies. Not to mention I'm pretty sure old western movies and just the overall lifestyle included smoking. I haven't watched Leave It To Beaver in a long time but didn't the father often smoke on a pipe? Glorified? Perhaps not, but the image was there none the less. Tobacco companies were not allowed to advertise any more during the 80's. And guess what? Smoking has continued to decrease since the late 80's, contrary to what you have said.

Quote:
If your one of the people that believe your in control of your smoking or that you will stop before things ever got this bad, your lying to yourself and feeding the addiction. There are two main differences between a nicotine and a heroine addiction. 1. A nicotine user can typically function through day to day activities & 2. Heroin killed less than 17,000 (17,000 is all 2009 deaths linked to drug use, not including nicotine) while 443,000 people died from a smoking related disease in America last year (roughly 1 in 5 deaths are caused by smoking).
I am in control. I stopped didn't I? I only indulge in excess when I want to. I've had my fair share of hijinks, but I've grown up because I am in control of myself. Those who blame their smoking habits as a crutch of addiction are lying to themselves if you ask me. You just have no will power, no self awareness, no self empowerment. these are people that don't know when to walk away, or when enough of a good thing is enough. Ever been to a Hookah bar? I myself quite enjoyed it, even though many of the risks of tobacco smoke were reduced [see my marijuana argument].

There are people who are known as "high functioning addicts". They are people that can do drugs and still hold high standard jobs (Ever wonder how many Wall Street guys did coke in the 80's?)

Quote:
If you want to have discussion about smoking that is worth having...why not discuss legalization of marijuana, because I'm totally on the other side of that issue...and in 2009 deaths related to smoking marijuana...zero, yet that's illegal and nicotine isn't. That's because Tobacco is a bigger money maker that makes people keep coming back for more.

IF YOUR SERIOUS ABOUT QUITTING...READ THIS BOOK! The most effective quit smoking method around - Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking
Your ideologies behind what constitutes a safe drug and an unsafe drug, as well as legality is misguided.

1. Marijuana smokers often also smoke cigarettes, which puts them into the smoker category.
2. Marijuana smoke often contains up to 100X more toxins then cigarettes. The active drugs in each are quite different (D9-THC in marijuana, nicotine in cigarettes). It's just that THC has a very high lethal dose compared to nicotine. The other chemical substances associated with smoke are still present in marijuana smoke.
3. Certain devices, such as water pipes or vaporizes are considered safer modes of use because these devices are targeted to help keep out other nasty substances. However these devices are used more by marijuana smokers because tobacco and cigarettes are cheap enough rolled and easily available. No one wants to pack tobacco.

You complain about the addiction potential of cigarettes but ignore those of alcohol and marijuana.

Actually I won't even get into this statements.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicMist View Post
OsirisGuy is correct
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:18 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
OsirisGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York
Region: New York
Posts: 1,262
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

BTW:

Don't mind me. I've been sick all day and driving around today, and I am stuck here in the northeast as an expected ~20" of snow falls from the sky for the next 20 hours (15 more hours at this point).

I encourage those who want to quit to quit and wish them the best.

I should say though you are being quite judgmental on smokers just because they've made a choice. Word to the wise; I'd restructure your approach to encouraging people to quit.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicMist View Post
OsirisGuy is correct
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:48 AM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
sonic04edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Region: Alabama
Posts: 428
Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge
Re: SMOKING------Chantix

I'm just going to say this strait up. Smoking is one of the dumbest most expensive things you can do. I have never smoked nor will I ever smoke because logic kicks in. IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY!!

I've lost 3 very close people in my life due to smoking. My grandmother who smoked all her life just about. Fought cancer for almost 3 years before she passed away. My aunt who also smoked most of her life fought cancer for almost 10 years and most recently. My father who battled leukemia and the side effects of having leukemia.


Look at it this way. Each time you light up one you take precious time away from you life. Eventually smoking will catch up to you.
__________________
Looking for a mustang
2001 Ford Explorer 4x4
2003 Ford F150 Lariat Screw
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
95 5.0 Auto Smoking - HELP chris7869 1979-1995 Mustang GT 16 01-14-2011 09:28 PM
I quit smoking Kiljosh The Bar 25 08-04-2010 06:55 PM
Smoking 99 Cobra 1996-2004 Mustang GT 4 09-18-2009 04:38 AM
Smoking 99 SVT Cobra 1996-2004 Mustang GT 14 08-04-2009 08:34 AM
smoking silverstangboy The Bar 64 08-13-2005 06:15 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



04:17 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.