computer nerds unite... need to build a tower - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2007, 12:00 AM   #36
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
Re: computer nerds unite... need to build a tower

it's ****ed. They couldn't get it to do ANYTHING but black screen and say that it couldn't do ****. It didn't recognize an operating system... they couldn't do back up files off it... could do them with CD-ROM or USB.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2007, 12:01 AM   #37
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Swap the hard drive and try again.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:03 AM   #38
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

that's something I don't know how to do, especially on a laptop, plus i would LOVE to get my speech off there... it's due next Friday

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2007, 12:19 AM   #39
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
I like AMD, both my current rigs are A64s. If I were building one tomorrow, though...I'd but a C2D chip in it. Sorry, Brent.
i would too. but the day after that id go back to AMD. Right Now Intel is better just cause of the Core2 Duo and its 63nm technology, which AMD doesnt have an equal on the market, but their dual and quad core 63nm chips are around the corner, and i think they released plans for a 49nm chipset by 08'. most of which i have no ****ing idea what it means but it makes me sound smart.

btw jimmy my IT guy just got something today that you can backup files from hard drives even if it fries itself, he said you plug it into the connector port and that goes into a usb and you can read most the stuff that still on the drive. ill ask him what it is tomorrow. hes gonna try to get all my files off my dead eMachine that fried over winter break, i lost all my emails, all my saved drawings, all my saved addresses and some other ****.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:49 AM   #40
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
Dell?

Not quite...
It was a valid question. I have no idea what your work place is like. I do know that Dell is one of the largest suppliers of computers to businesses in the world. So your company custom builds all your pcs? If so and they are using anything but a Core2Duo in their Intel machines then they don't have the fastest processor. Opterons run circles around Xenon processors. AMD runs circles around the Pentium 4. Pentium's 32 bit processors didn't hold anything to AMD's 32bit/64 bit processors. AMD has had 64 bit processors out for almost 2 years now and Intel is just now catching up. Whether or not there were 64 bit O/S's 2 years ago is pointless because the 64 bit processors still performed way better on a 32bit O/S than any Intel chips at the time.

Sure the C2D has the advantage now. I'm not denying that. It's a great processor. However its not going to stay that way for long.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:06 AM   #41
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
It was a valid question. I have no idea what your work place is like. I do know that Dell is one of the largest suppliers of computers to businesses in the world. So your company custom builds all your pcs? If so and they are using anything but a Core2Duo in their Intel machines then they don't have the fastest processor. Opterons run circles around Xenon processors. AMD runs circles around the Pentium 4. Pentium's 32 bit processors didn't hold anything to AMD's 32bit/64 bit processors. AMD has had 64 bit processors out for almost 2 years now and Intel is just now catching up. Whether or not there were 64 bit O/S's 2 years ago is pointless because the 64 bit processors still performed way better on a 32bit O/S than any Intel chips at the time.

Sure the C2D has the advantage now. I'm not denying that. It's a great processor. However its not going to stay that way for long.
Yes, they are custom built. The machines that we are starting to get in now are dual C2Qs with 8 gigs of RAM. Hence, the not quite Dells statement. However, we do have Dells for our Windows machines and they are unbelievably slow... The bad thing is mine is one of the newer ones and it's still a piece of junk.

As far as the 64 bit O/S, 64-bit architectures are sort of overrated. Most people don't seem to stop and think about what that really means. The main reason for 64-bit processors is the ability to directly address 2^64 words of memory rather than 2^32. That helps when operating on huge files.

Other than that though, 64-bit architectures will require you to run more memory for equal performance. Think about it. Now every integer and pointer in memory is twice the size it would be on a 32-bit machine.

64-bit is not the "God's gift to computers" that some people make it out to be.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:06 AM   #42
Legacy Member
Legacy

so quick question... what about an operating system for this thing? Iowa can put XP on it for free (at least I think). Is that all I need? or is there software I'll need to buy too?

Old 03-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #43
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

A free, legal copy of XP would be good. You'll probably want to hunt down a free/cheap/pirated copy of MS Office, at least.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #44
Legacy Member
Legacy

I get MS Office for free at Iowa... and they install it for you

Old 03-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #45
Legacy Member
Legacy

so, is there any decent way to get my speech off my laptop knowing it doesn't recognize any kind of backup software?

Old 03-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #46
Legacy Member
Legacy

Pull the hard disk. Get an adapter to plug it into a desktop IDE hookup. Plug it in, and copy everything off.

I like turtles.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:49 AM   #47
Legacy Member
Legacy

is that assuming the hard disk isn't bad? Do you have a picture of what the hard disk looks like... so when I take it apart, I know what to look for? I will probably call out to the IT place today and see if I can get the hard disk out if they can pull it off there for me.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:25 AM   #48
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

thats about what it will look like. Yea...i think if the hard drive is bad your screwed. Basically he's saying you should hope some other part of the computer is messed up and the hard drive still is fine, it just can't be worked with through a bad computer, so use a different computer to get the files off the hard drive...but desktop hard drives have a different input (IDE) than laptops..so you'll need a converter to hook the lappy HD up to a desktop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #49
Legacy Member
Legacy

I would assume the IT services of U. of Iowa would have that adapter... but if not, how much are they?

Old 03-03-2007, 07:40 PM   #50
Legacy Member
Legacy

what about this for RAM?
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Old 03-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #51
Regular

That'll work. Same brand I use

Reddit
Old 03-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #52
Legacy Member
Legacy

does it come with just one or both? (in other words, do I need to buy 2 or 1?)

Old 03-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #53
Regular

Just buy one

Reddit
Old 03-03-2007, 07:52 PM   #54
Legacy Member
Legacy

will that work with all the provided components?

Old 03-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #55
Legacy Member
Legacy

Newegg.com - KINAMAX ADP-IDE23 Laptop 2.5" to Desktop 3.5" IDE Hard Drive Adapter Converter - Retail

I like turtles.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar