GTA 4 Coming in 2008 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
Regular

Region: Tennessee
GTA 4 Coming in 2008

The main reason I'll be buying the PS3 is for this game and a handful of others. It's going to look amazing on the PS3 with a 1080P HDTV

GameDrift - Technology and Gaming Combined - News - GTA IV: Confirmed For Oct, Episodes in 08

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Re: GTA 4 Coming in 2008

lol the 360 version is gonna blow the PS3 version out of the water, especially if it will have "episodes" only available to XBLive. probably look better and run smoother as well. not a good move for sony not to have secured it as a PS3 only title.

GTA3 was fun, but the other two were just additions of the same crap, Vice City was cool for a bit only cause of the 80's music, San Andreas was total garbage cause i hate that whole ignant blackie culture (and no, i dont give a **** if i sound racist) that continues to dumb down our society.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
Regular

Ok so how can you come to the conclusion that the game will probably run smoother and look better? Everything about the PS3 is better than the xBox 360 technology wise. The only thing preventing it from selling is its price and the reason it's more expensive is because it's got a lot better technology in it.

Blu-Ray still hasn't become obsolete and is actually the leader in HD movies. The PS3 is past it's first release blues and has fixed the majority of the bugs that are no doubt going to come along with a First Generation version of a console.

As soon as the price falls on the PS3 it will start selling ridiculous amounts. I'd buy one right now if I had a HDTV to make it worth the money. That's the only reason I don't have one.

Reddit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

meh..

i find the series incredibly repititive.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Ok so how can you come to the conclusion that the game will probably run smoother and look better?
judging from the side by side at my best buy, the 360 games look smoother and look better (more realistic).

i can only assume this GTA will have the horrible lighting effects (turn that goddamn sun glare down, i cant see ****!) and physics weve come to "love" from the GTA3 series.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

I'm still waiting for halo 3
Old 03-01-2007, 09:46 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to Rocket 442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Ok so how can you come to the conclusion that the game will probably run smoother and look better? Everything about the PS3 is better than the xBox 360 technology wise. The only thing preventing it from selling is its price and the reason it's more expensive is because it's got a lot better technology in it.

Blu-Ray still hasn't become obsolete and is actually the leader in HD movies. The PS3 is past it's first release blues and has fixed the majority of the bugs that are no doubt going to come along with a First Generation version of a console.

As soon as the price falls on the PS3 it will start selling ridiculous amounts. I'd buy one right now if I had a HDTV to make it worth the money. That's the only reason I don't have one.
They are both comparable systems. Nothing is that much better about the PS3 than the 360, other than the way it is flunking in the market so far

I have a 360, roommate has a PS3, they are both loads of fun, and I'm not a person that can say which is better and the reason I have 360 is they seem to care more about Online play and downloads. Like Test Drive: Unlimited doesn't get boring, because they keep releasing new cars all the time. THe online is SOOO much better than PS3.

The cell processor clocks 3.2 to 3.4 gHz. Due to the fact it its aircooled and it generates a ****load of heat, it cant process at the promised >4gHz speed. The eight simultaneous processing "cells" sounds impressive, but consider what the X-Box also loads.

The IBM PowerPC Triple-Core processor that the 360 has clocks 3.4gHz. All three cores run at that speed. The cores are simultaneous multithreading (SMT) processors. Specifically, each of the three cores can process two threads at time, making the Xbox 360 CPU a six-thread per clock cycle system making the chip look like six conventional processors for applications. This will allow multiple applications to run independently on different cores or a single multi-threaded application to perform multiple tasks all at once. The GPU is an ATI 500 mHz processor.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and I'll play it. I wasn't too excited with San Andreas for some reason, not sure why but hopefully I like 4 better.
Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads & ARP Bolt Kit | Mondello JM 22-25-10 Cam - 274/280 .512/.523 | Harland Sharp 1.6 Ratio Full Roller Rockers | Trickflow Chromemoly 3/8" Pushrods | Edelbrock Modified Performer Intake | Pypes 2.5" X-Pipe | Dougs Ceramic Headers
Rocket 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:06 PM   #8
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama

I'll play it
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:13 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I wonder sometimes if people really understand anything about threading whatsoever when they talk about these things.

That being said, I think I'm gonna buy a PS3 just to say I did.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

sweet another reason to buy an xbox360
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to Rocket 442

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
I wonder sometimes if people really understand anything about threading whatsoever when they talk about these things.

That being said, I think I'm gonna buy a PS3 just to say I did.
I meant to quote that from a site. I'm not the smartest with computer software, but I do know when compared both systems run and look exactly the same, but Xbox seems to really destroy PS3 in online. Can you explain what makes the cell processor better (i'm not being an ***, just want to know).

Wish there was more info on the game itself though
Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads & ARP Bolt Kit | Mondello JM 22-25-10 Cam - 274/280 .512/.523 | Harland Sharp 1.6 Ratio Full Roller Rockers | Trickflow Chromemoly 3/8" Pushrods | Edelbrock Modified Performer Intake | Pypes 2.5" X-Pipe | Dougs Ceramic Headers
Rocket 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:28 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

I would take a PS3 any day over a 360.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket 442 View Post
Can you explain what makes the cell processor better (i'm not being an ***, just want to know).
The Cell processor is actually composed of multiple processing elements, including six 3.2 GHz elements that can run individual programs simultaneously. Note: Not inidividual threads. Individual programs. No longer do you have to worry about threads being stalled because all the other threads currently running are having to wait on resources and hogging up every element.

Therefore, if you have to do some type of calculation that is complex and takes a lot of time... you write a program specifically to do the calculation and run it on its own core.

The XBox 360 on the other hand uses hyper-threading which just allows multiple threads to run different operations on multiple processing units simultaneously. Basically if one thread does not use all the processing units for every cycle (because it is waiting on resources), another thread can step in and execute its instructions.

With the Cell, you can be guaranteed that your most complex and time-consuming operations can be run concurrently without interruption on their own processing unit. Whatever processing units you don't assign to run a particular program will then be used for all your remaining operations.

The reason you haven't seen a major improvement in PS3 games over 360 games right now is not because of the hardware. It's because no one has taken advantage of it yet. Wait for a year or so for some of the better games that are supposed to come out, like MGS4, and you'll see what I mean.

Scary stuff.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

yea but with our current technology, you can only get so realistic with games. and i think we have reached that point for the time being. so ps3 and the 360 will look the same and probably run the same as well. even if the ps3 has better components, we have reached the limit. and dont flame, im just stating my opinion and probably what the real fact is anyways. but unless ps really goes to work and changes over their entire online system, ms will continue to dominate the online world.

that being said, i think gta4 will really kick ***. i didnt care too much for 3, sure it was fun, like the whole series has been, but it just wasnt amazing. i believe ps has really dropped the ball by not securing the gta series to its specific consoles. that right there is probably one of the stupidest things ps could have done.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:25 PM   #15
Regular

We haven't even begun to reach the limits. Games have plenty of room to get even more realistic with multi core processors now viable. Physics will get better a long with graphics.

Reddit
Old 03-04-2007, 02:36 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
yea but with our current technology, you can only get so realistic with games. and i think we have reached that point for the time being. so ps3 and the 360 will look the same and probably run the same as well. even if the ps3 has better components, we have reached the limit. and dont flame, im just stating my opinion and probably what the real fact is anyways. but unless ps really goes to work and changes over their entire online system, ms will continue to dominate the online world.

that being said, i think gta4 will really kick ***. i didnt care too much for 3, sure it was fun, like the whole series has been, but it just wasnt amazing. i believe ps has really dropped the ball by not securing the gta series to its specific consoles. that right there is probably one of the stupidest things ps could have done.
i agree with graphics peaking. im not wow'd anymore by realistic graphics.

but the new thing thats starting to become a big deal is physics. i read an article somewhere that someday in the near future there might be dedicated cards to the physics of games.

but my whole beef with the grand theft series is that yeah it might have better graphics... but its still practically the same game. and if it is coming out for 360 or pc even... then why spend so much more money on a graphical upgrade. in my opinion, its not worth it. im against the whole graphics = superiority ideaology. some of my favorite games are old and have incredibly bad graphics. just like the final fantasy series... i honestly think that 6, 8, and 7 are the best 3 in that respective order. or starcraft.. if they made a 3D starcraft i honestly dont know if it would be better than the original. hell, im the same way with music. there was something about midi files in old RPGs that im nostalgic about, but i cant name too many newer games (besides halo) that give me that same feeling.

so basically my point is its about art, style, innovation, etc. not about graphics or power. so my conclusion is that the 360>PS3 because it can do almost anything the PS3 can do but at a cheaper price. and the wii is not even considered in the same battle.. not because its inferior.. but because its business model is completely different than the 360 and ps3.

i honestly see no point in spending a crapload of money for GT3 with refurbished graphics and in a GT4 box.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

The reason we are "peaking" is not hardware. Right now, it's software. If you want to see games that are going to truly take advantage of the PS3's power, you're going to have to be patient. It is a powerful, complex system. The games you are seeing now is stuff that is just being thrown out there just so there are some PS3 games out there.

And it's not just the PS3. There have been some huge technological advances as far as processors go over the past 5 years. Unfortunately, there haven't been any huge advances in programming since object oriented programming started to really come around in the mid eigthies. The fact is, no one is truly taking advantage of these new processors yet.

Scary stuff.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:09 PM   #18
Regular

Half Life 2: Episode 2 is going to be multi-threaded. I can't wait for it to come out. The physics are going to be much more refined and the graphics amazing.

Reddit
Old 03-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

I actually like the physics of Driver: Parallel lines a lot more than I did GTA. I think if they combined the two, it'd make a good game.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:23 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
The reason we are "peaking" is not hardware. Right now, it's software. If you want to see games that are going to truly take advantage of the PS3's power, you're going to have to be patient. It is a powerful, complex system. The games you are seeing now is stuff that is just being thrown out there just so there are some PS3 games out there.

And it's not just the PS3. There have been some huge technological advances as far as processors go over the past 5 years. Unfortunately, there haven't been any huge advances in programming since object oriented programming started to really come around in the mid eigthies. The fact is, no one is truly taking advantage of these new processors yet.
werd, any games that will make full use of either system will take years to produce.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

i mean come on, can the graphics really get any better? you want better graphics, then go grab a gun and go around and shoot ppl and rob banks and ****. come on, so what if the ps3 is superior. the 360 already has amazing graphics and will be right at the top with the ps3. yea the physics will get better so that will be more realistic, but games are reaching their limit. thats all there is to it.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:53 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

they can get better. i remember saying that when Quake1 first came out, like, "what more is there?", same with halo, like "omg you can see individual blades of grass in the ground!"

now the bottleneck is the time it takes to literally make these games to that level and cram in all these details. plus back in the xbox and ps2 days there was only so much detail that you could see in a standard tv set anyways, but now we have hd lcd and plasma screens at crazy resolutions and you can now see the detail like never before.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar