Rant on IT services - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
Rant on IT services

so yeah... after they told me on Friday that if I brought in the hard drive out of the laptop, they could examine it to see if they could get any usable data off it... today they tell me they can't do anything like that, and the guy that told me was mistaken. So... rant will now ensue.

Know you're ****ing job. Before you start telling people that ripping apart their laptop is in their best interest, at least know that you CAN'T do anything to their **** so they may as well save themselves the 2 hours so they could work on the 4 assignments they have due this week... or study for the 2 tests or speech that WAS on the hard drive. God I hate ****** bag employees that dont' know **** about what they do. At my work, I know almost everywhere we go, and if I don't know the answer, I SAY I don't know, or I find someone that DOES know. /RANT... for now

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
Re: Rant on IT services

one guy probably knew how to do it and the one you talked to didnt.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

the one I talked to today said they have never done it.. and called a supervisor to make sure (per my DEMANDING IT). Apparently, the other guy was 10 minutes from being done with his shift, and just didn't care about what he had to say so long as he got off on time.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
so yeah... after they told me on Friday that if I brought in the hard drive out of the laptop, they could examine it to see if they could get any usable data off it...

... save themselves the 2 hours ....
So it took you two hours to pull a hard drive out of a laptop??

At my work we don't service student. I feel sorry for those who do. But when your servicing 4000+ plus people you don't support data. At any point in time we can take their computer and wipe it. You should have had backups. On a case by case basis depending on how nice the person is and how I feel. I will work on problems and try to either maintain their data, or save as much as I can. I can tell you one thing, DEMANDING anything will not get you into such catagory. Frankly if some one comes in like an attitude like that I would be much less likely to help them. In fact I would do even less.

This is when you take it to a proffessional computer shop. Where they are supporting you with your one need, and they will support data. But there you will pay accordingly(probably a lot). So deal with it, or shell out the bucks to get your **** recovered. And the people who anwser the phones, are worthless, they know nothing.

And wouldn't it be easier for the guy about to get off work, to just tell you no they can't do that then to explain yes. Take it out of your computer and bring it in and we will work on it. That part of the story does not add up. No takes a lot less effort and time then making up some story to some one who frankly doesn't matter.(no offence)
3.3Liters4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

yeah, most IT departments for schools and stuff simply just format the computer for any problem it has. what i was thinkin was that it was some nice guy with some time on his hands that could have done it... shift changes.. you come in and get someone else who is swamped. my theory at least.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
... shift changes.. you come in and get someone else who is swamped. my theory at least.
That is plasuable. Still how does it take 2 hours to take your hard drive out?
3.3Liters4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

issues with communication happens... just part of life.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

that sucks
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:51 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

this was my first time inside the laptop... lots and lots of little screws. also, TV was on. It isn't one where you pop the battery, and remove a screw and there it is. You remove the entire keyboard, and shell the bottom section in half. It was a pain. Also, I don't know why the guy said they could do it. I asked him if I brought in my hard drive if they could pull a file off it for me, and he at first said no, until I explained to him that they wouldn't have to pull the hard drive, and that I would bring it in... and then he goes "ohhhh, ok, I misunderstood, yeah bring it on it". I didn't really demand anything until the guy was like "no sir, we don't do that"... and I figured one of them was lying or didn't know what I was asking, so I "suggested" he ask his supervisor, or someone that actually worked on them. Mainly because this speech took a long time to write, and is due at the end of the week.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:36 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

They probably thought it was an IDE drive. That's easy. Hook up a molex, plug in a ribbon cable, bam! grab the files. Most people don't have those adapters laying around.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar