Blu-Ray Wins - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Blu-Ray Wins

God I love being right

NYPost: Retailers to Pull Plug on HD DVD - Gameworld Network news story

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Re: Blu-Ray Wins

eh so when the rest of the world DOESNT want to buy a PS3 or a 600$ Sony Blu-Ray player then what happens?

theres one reason Blu-Ray is winning, all the PS3 fanboys are the only ones buying them. Nobody right now wants to spend money on another seperate player, 95% of the population is content with standard DVD and a HD set. I wouldnt spend the extra 100$ for even the HD-DVD drive for a 360 because i still think DVD is pretty dam good, and HD/BR really isnt a big enough step up that warrants spending the extra money like it was going from VHS to DVD.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
eh so when the rest of the world DOESNT want to buy a PS3 or a 600$ Sony Blu-Ray player then what happens?

theres one reason Blu-Ray is winning, all the PS3 fanboys are the only ones buying them. Nobody right now wants to spend money on another seperate player, 95% of the population is content with standard DVD and a HD set. I wouldnt spend the extra 100$ for even the HD-DVD drive for a 360 because i still think DVD is pretty dam good, and HD/BR really isnt a big enough step up that warrants spending the extra money like it was going from VHS to DVD.
I can't believe I am going to say this... but I agree.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8r View Post
I can't believe I am going to say this... but I agree.
You know, I was going to say the same thing, but I didn't want to be alone. Now, I don't feel so bad.

x2 here.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

You know... devices other than the PS3 are capable of playing Blu-Ray discs. It's not something proprietary to Sony.

Just a thought.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
Regular

Quote:
Because Technology never gets cheaper over time right? Just like DVD players are still 600 dollars now

Quote:
So when HD-DVD isn't made anymore High Definition Video will die then because no one will buy Blu-Ray because it will never get less expensive as more people continue to purchase HDTV's and the technology matures?

All this added on to the fact that Blu-Ray continues to have the largest share of Movie Studios backing it and has more blockbuster movies on Blu-Ray than HD-DVD.

God some people in here just need to stop being such Fan boys of a damn system. There is absolutely nothing that says HD-DVD is going to become a leader anywhere.

Reddit
Old 03-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Because Technology never gets cheaper over time right? Just like DVD players are still 600 dollars now
youre right, but the reason pricing for DVD players dropped so rapidly is because there was a huge demand for it, it was this huge leap forward over VHS. there is little demand for either HD or BR because everyone is content with what they have. Sure, if i had a PS3 i would get BR disks cause i mean hell, it has a reader might as well use it. same with if the 360 came with a HD drive then id get HD disks. BUT people who dont want either console are left spending however much for a independent reader of either media type, and there really isnt much of a gain.

Quote:
All this added on to the fact that Blu-Ray continues to have the largest share of Movie Studios backing it and has more blockbuster movies on Blu-Ray than HD-DVD.
so, doesnt mean people will buy it, you could make all the movies in the world BR, doesnt mean im gonna spend whatever much on a player, it means ill just keep downloading them for free. take that ****ers.

Quote:
God some people in here just need to stop being such Fan boys of a damn system. There is absolutely nothing that says HD-DVD is going to become a leader anywhere.
i know, ****ing fanboys. i really could care less, my PC can *insert task here* and *insert task here* better than *insert "next gen console" here* and *insert task here* while doing it, so whutevah!

Old 03-16-2007, 05:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Quote:
I've seen chicks *insert task here* and *insert task here* better than *insert any other chick here* and *insert task here* while doing it.

I thought editing this post made this thread so much more fun and funloving
Old 03-16-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
Regular

Quote:
youre right, but the reason pricing for DVD players dropped so rapidly is because there was a huge demand for it, it was this huge leap forward over VHS. there is little demand for either HD or BR because everyone is content with what they have.
The Demand is growing

What makes you think that HDTV is going to stop growing?

Quote:
Sure, if i had a PS3 i would get BR disks cause i mean hell, it has a reader might as well use it. same with if the 360 came with a HD drive then id get HD disks. BUT people who dont want either console are left spending however much for a independent reader of either media type, and there really isnt much of a gain.
A year from now you will be able to buy a Blu-Ray independent player for under 300 dollars. Plenty affordable and if you can afford the HDTV to begin with that 300 dollar player isn't going to set you back. On top of that when HDTV's start shipping with Blu-Ray players the demand for Blu-Ray discs will continue to rise.

Quote:
so, doesnt mean people will buy it, you could make all the movies in the world BR, doesnt mean im gonna spend whatever much on a player, it means ill just keep downloading them for free. take that ****ers.
Like I said. I can understand not buying a new player now because it's new technology New Technology is always expensive. The way you talk it sounds like Blu-Ray has been out for 10 years and its still 600 dollars for a Blu-Ray player 2:

Quote:
i know, ****ing fanboys. i really could care less, my PC can *insert task here* and *insert task here* better than *insert "next gen console" here* and *insert task here* while doing it.
I still don't see any evidence on why HD-DVD is going to pwn blu-ray and not go the way of the Beta... as everyone loves to hound on Sony.

Reddit
Old 03-16-2007, 05:23 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

nobody ever said hd-dvd will win, they however said blu-ray will flop. wow, they are selling better than hd, which isnt hard to do because HD players dont come standard in anything, you have to really want one to get one, same with a independent blu-ray. id like to see what would happen if by some chance, they could cancel out the sales of blu-ray discs going to PS3 owners, the sales of blu-ray discs to independent blu-ray player owners would probably equal to HD-DVD sales to independent HD-DVD player owners. the only edge in sales is due to the PS3. i think both media types are are good for those people who are really into the home-theatre experience. im not, my TV viewing consists of Heroes, The Office, and Conan every night, some "AoTS" or Xplay on G4.

HDTV is growing but like i said before, most are still content with standard DVD and a HD set. hell im fine with my standard 42" Zenith and downloaded movies, i watch movies for the quality of the movie itself, not the quality of the pixels or resolution on the screen.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
nobody ever said hd-dvd will win, they however said blu-ray will flop. wow, they are selling better than hd, which isnt hard to do because HD players dont come standard in anything, you have to really want one to get one, same with a independent blu-ray. id like to see what would happen if by some chance, they could cancel out the sales of blu-ray discs going to PS3 owners, the sales of blu-ray discs to independent blu-ray player owners would probably equal to HD-DVD sales to independent HD-DVD player owners. the only edge in sales is due to the PS3. i think both media types are are good for those people who are really into the home-theatre experience. im not, my TV viewing consists of Heroes, The Office, and Conan every night, some "AoTS" or Xplay on G4.

HDTV is growing but like i said before, most are still content with standard DVD and a HD set. hell im fine with my standard 42" Zenith and downloaded movies, i watch movies for the quality of the movie itself, not the quality of the pixels or resolution on the screen.
Why does it matter what the cause behind the Blu-Ray's current lead is? The fact is, it's in the lead. Nothing else really matters.

Scary stuff.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #12
Regular

Quote:
nobody ever said hd-dvd will win, they however said blu-ray will flop. wow, they are selling better than hd, which isnt hard to do because HD players dont come standard in anything, you have to really want one to get one, same with a independent blu-ray. id like to see what would happen if by some chance, they could cancel out the sales of blu-ray discs going to PS3 owners, the sales of blu-ray discs to independent blu-ray player owners would probably equal to HD-DVD sales to independent HD-DVD player owners.
This isn't a What If world The fact is that Sony was smart enough to include it standard in the PS3 and Microsoft wasn't. So Sony has the edge and has more movie studios backing it.

Again what format is going to take over HD Video then? It's not going to be HD-DVD and apparently you still believe Blu-Ray is going to flop despite everything pointing to it succeeding. So what format is going to take over HD video discs then?

What movie industry is going to drop Blu-Ray in favor of a new format

Nothing you are saying makes any sense at all.

Quote:
the only edge in sales is due to the PS3.
No the edge goes beyond "just the PS3". The edge is that Blu-Ray has more movies on its discs than HD-DVD. It has more money and support behind it and it will be the only one left next year. That is the edge. Not just the PS3.

Quote:
i think both media types are are good for those people who are really into the home-theatre experience. im not, my TV viewing consists of Heroes, The Office, and Conan every night, some "AoTS" or Xplay on G4.
Well then don't buy a HD Video player then. Fortunately technology does not stop with what fits you

Quote:
HDTV is growing but like i said before, most are still content with standard DVD and a HD set.
They are content because the technology is new and still expensive.

I'll be damned if I am going to go out and buy a DVD player 2 years from now for my HDTV when I can buy an Blu-Ray one for 50-100 dollars more and get full 1080P resolution compared to a ****ty 480P

Quote:
hell im fine with my standard 42" Zenith and downloaded movies, i watch movies for the quality of the movie itself, not the quality of the pixels or resolution on the screen.
Again technology does not stop with you.

Reddit
Old 03-17-2007, 08:30 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

**** both that ****. VHS is here to stay.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:47 AM   #14
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

i lol'd when i heard about "HD Radio"... i mean comon.... seriously... crisper sounding radio, yea, its called a CD... jesus christ
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

hmm intresting, i like my dvds didnt see a single differ in the Blu-Ray quality
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:31 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang View Post
hmm intresting, i like my dvds didnt see a single differ in the Blu-Ray quality
EXACTLY!

Example 1:

if you set up three displays, all being the equal HD capible tv (well say a 50" Dell LCD if they even make one), and each screen had a different media type, One being HD-DVD, one being Blu-Ray and the other being standard DVD, and they all played the same exact movies at the same exact time, oh, well put in Spiderman 2. now the kicker is nobody knows which media type is being presented on which screen, for all they know its another satellite feed like in most stores. 95% of the population that walks by and looks at the screen WILL NOT notice any difference in the three. the other 4% would notice one set looked a little less "crisp" but would only assume its a different screen, even though they will have failed to notice they are all the same make and model, and continue on with their lives. 1% will be sony fanboys and instantly tell 2 out of 3 are blu-ray and instantly spout off that the other screen is obviously HD-DVD, and when revealed that one of the screens they spouted as Blu-Ray was in fact HD-DVD they will claim bull**** and that the blu-ray display is rigged or the resolution selected is wrong and its a conspiracy.

Example 2:

one of my buddies has a PS3 (actually two of them) and brought one over to my friends house when we had a "wrench n cue" (work on cars, drink beer and bbq) for ****s and giggles. well he left it there when he left that night and was gonna pick it up later the next day. well later the next day Gone in 60 Seconds is on USA/TBS whichever, and he walks in and sits down and its the end where ellie is running through the streets, and he instantly goes "dam this sure does look good on blu-ray doesnt it!" since he brought over his collection of blu-ray movies. my friend goes "yeah, makes me want to go out and buy a PS3" and then my buddy just starts spouting how awesome it is and how blu-ray is the greatest thing in the world. then comes the funny part. It switches to a commercial. my freind looks at him and goes "blu-ray is pretty awesome huh, wish they would take out the commercials though" as my buddy slouches further in his seat and says absolutely nothing.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:16 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Quote:

Look Thomas your **** stinks sometime. Just because you don't own a PS3 doesn't mean its a POS, Blu-Ray doesn't suck, and a PS3 is a much better all around system than a 360, so of course its more expensive. I have neither so I'm don't really care which is better, but I would spend my money on the PS3 because I like their games better. If you like the XBox better than get it, its a bad *** system, but stop hating on the PS3 because its honestly a better system.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:56 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

Quote:
one of my buddies has a PS3 (actually two of them) and brought one over to my friends house when we had a "wrench n cue" (work on cars, drink beer and bbq) for ****s and giggles. well he left it there when he left that night and was gonna pick it up later the next day. well later the next day Gone in 60 Seconds is on USA/TBS whichever, and he walks in and sits down and its the end where ellie is running through the streets, and he instantly goes "dam this sure does look good on blu-ray doesnt it!" since he brought over his collection of blu-ray movies. my friend goes "yeah, makes me want to go out and buy a PS3" and then my buddy just starts spouting how awesome it is and how blu-ray is the greatest thing in the world. then comes the funny part. It switches to a commercial. my freind looks at him and goes "blu-ray is pretty awesome huh, wish they would take out the commercials though" as my buddy slouches further in his seat and says absolutely nothing.
All I have to say is lol...lol...l-o-l
Old 03-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

well as data gets bigger we have to have larger media devices
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #20
Regular

Everyone buying an HDTV will want a HD Video player to go with it Thomas. You can go on all day long about the "normal" person not being able to tell the difference but when Blu-Ray players are only 50-100 dollars more than DVD players and Blu-Ray becomes more and more known (again here you are acting like Blu-Ray is done for because everyone doesn't know about it half a year after it came out. Good grief).

Blu-Ray will continue to expand as more HDTV's are bought. It's common sense. You feel free to continue to buy 8 year old technology as long as you want. While you are still ranting about the PS3 and Blu-Ray 3 years from now everyone else will be buying Blu-Ray players and enjoying 1080p HD Video on their HDTV.

It's as simple as that.

Reddit
Old 03-18-2007, 12:00 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Everyone buying an HDTV will want a HD Video player to go with it Thomas. You can go on all day long about the "normal" person not being able to tell the difference but when Blu-Ray players are only 50-100 dollars more than DVD players and Blu-Ray becomes more and more known (again here you are acting like Blu-Ray is done for because everyone doesn't know about it half a year after it came out. Good grief).

Blu-Ray will continue to expand as more HDTV's are bought. It's common sense. You feel free to continue to buy 8 year old technology as long as you want. While you are still ranting about the PS3 and Blu-Ray 3 years from now everyone else will be buying Blu-Ray players and enjoying 1080p HD Video on their HDTV.

It's as simple as that.
Brent, you are using too much logic. Thomas can't handle that...

Scary stuff.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

well the HD dvd players will eventually come down just like dvd players did and so will the discs and they will about where dvd's are now~ cuz of how cheap they are to make or will be once the market catches up. So in the end they will own DVD players and DVDs just like cds and dvd owned vhs (wtf is vhs... i cant even remember omg)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:47 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

so do blue ray discs play on HD players?

I wouldnt know either way cause im still on the classic TVs too rich for my blood to be buying a flat screen, one day thats for sure, one day
Old 03-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #24
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang View Post
so do blue ray discs play on HD players?

I wouldnt know either way cause im still on the classic TVs too rich for my blood to be buying a flat screen, one day thats for sure, one day
No right now there are a few players that play both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

Reddit
Old 03-18-2007, 02:57 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No right now there are a few players that play both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.
that aint bad though

whats so special about the blu ray dvd anyways? isnt it just a dvd or is the way its proccessed (put on the disc) is what makes it differ?

cause honestly I saw no differ when I seen a blu ray movie
Old 03-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #26
Regular

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are basically the same with a few minor differences. Both output video at 1080p

Here: Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You should be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 480p (which is a regular DVD.)

Reddit
Old 03-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #27
Regular

Quote:
Currently, five Hollywood studios exclusively support Blu-ray Disc: Columbia Pictures, MGM, Disney, Lionsgate and 20th Century Fox (Columbia Pictures and MGM are owned by Sony Pictures). Four Hollywood studios support both Blu-ray and HD DVD: Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks, Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema (the former two are owned by Viacom, and the latter two by Time Warner). Two Hollywood studios exclusively support HD DVD: Universal Studios and the Weinstein Company.
On top of them having a huge lead in Movie Studios they have the PS3 which gives Blu-Ray a lot more exposure than HD-DVD.

Reddit
Old 03-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Reading that now makes alot of sense actually hmm intresting.

Yeah Blu Ray is def owning the market cause most stores have a Blu Ray section
Old 03-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Someone told me that the best TV's to buy right now are Mitsubishis(spelling) because they can play both HD and Blu-ray, but I'm no expert in this or anything just what I heard.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:36 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Someone told me that the best TV's to buy right now are Mitsubishis(spelling) because they can play both HD and Blu-ray, but I'm no expert in this or anything just what I heard.
depends on their setup right now LCD owns Plasma but soon enough some other setup is gonna take over where its an organic film instead of liquid crystals

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar