The Official When Will We Attack Iran Thread - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-26-2007, 06:45 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Re: The Official When Will We Attack Iran Thread

Today would be nice
1LOBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 06:45 PM   #37
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNoise View Post
I know I'm not going to be popular for saying this to what's basically an all-American crowd, but what happened to Afghanistan and the supposed "hunt for Osama"?

Don't get me wrong - I support everyone in the free world who has joined the military and fights for freedom, and I greatly appreciate all of the sacrifices that they and their families make each and every day, but there was no reason to be in Iraq in the first place... Iraqis they didn't cause the events of 9/11 - there was no Iraqis flying any of those 4 planes and it was shown that Al Queda was the group supporting those people. Going to Iraq was the agenda of a government that was picking up where Bush's daddy left off and dropped the ball by not killing Saddam when he had the chance - going to Afghanistan this time just gave them a reason to go over there and Rumsfeld and those other cronies fed the American public (and the world for that matter) a load of bull**** about WMDs in order to "get permission" from the public.

Now, having said that.... I'm so god damn tired of all the bull**** that goes on in that part of the world. I don't think that there would be too many countries who would miss that area and it's never ending war over nothing other than "He doesn't believe in what I do, so I'm going to send an RPG up his ***!"...... doesn't this **** in the Middle East similar to the same kind of argument happen with 4 year olds in the back seat during roadtrips (minus the weapons)?....... "MOM! He's looking at me funny!".... "DAD! He's making faces at me!".... "MOM! He's touching me!".

While I'm not an advocate of war, nuke the entire region, turn it into a giant glass bowl and the world will be a much quieter place.

When the war kicked off in 1991, the objective of the mission was to push the Iraqi's out of Kuwait and liberate them from Iraqi rule. Unlike GW, Sr. followed ever last word the UN said. UN said get out of Kuwait or we will force you. Deadline game we went in. Kuwait was liberated our forces halted. Nothing more, nothing less. Mission was accomplished. That was what the UN said to do. I know guys that could see the lights of baghdad in there race to the city that were forced to stop because the mission was not to take over Iraq. It was to liberate Kuwait. Basic world history knowledge. Try watching the History Channel every once in awhile.

Now fast forward a few years. During those few years Saddam's forces were firing at US aircraft (and other coalition aircraft) patrolling the No-Fly Zone imposed over Iraq after Desert Storm. Just a bit of trivia that I like to throw out.

Anyways, everyone has seemed to have lost sight of the reason we went into Iraq in 03. They get so concerned with right or wrong, that they don't step back and look at the big picture.

If you recall Saddam quit allowing UN weapons inspectors into the country. Which got the ball rolling. Intelligence agencies started looking more closely, thinking "If he isn't allowing us to inspect him, then he is hiding something." Kinda like a kid around Christmas time, normally no one ever says dont get into the hallway closet but all of a sudden the kid gets told no you cant look in there. The kid thinks, well a present for me must be hidden in there. So Saddam says no you cant look in my country, US says, well he must be hidding WMDs. Which he still had some chem weapons which are WMDs. Things were found in small caches through the country. Anyways, so the the ball is rolling, intelligence is being recieved more, now there are believed ties between Al-Queda and Iraq. (I say believed, because I dont know for a fact. I feel they have/had connecetions with terrorist organizations, not neccisarily Al-Queda, but I am not allowed to see the intelligence)

Fast forward a few. Now President Bush gives Saddam an ulitmatem to allow weapons inspectors into the country. If not we will do it by force. The President tells the American people what he believes to be 100% true, since that is what the intelligence agencies have told him to be true. Well time runs out, Saddam says screw you. CONGRESS, declares war and we attack. Again Saddam has not listened to an ultimatem given to him. So we are at war again with Saddam. And to think it is to finish daddy's job or for the oil is foolish. I am sorry to say, it is just very narrow minded way to think. And shows someone doesn't take the time to bother to figure out what is really going on over there, just listens to CNN.

And you also say, what happened to Osama, well you know Afghanistan isn't the hot topic for CNN to discuss, because they can't really twist that around against President Bush. Cause despite the fact part of the population is screaming bring our troops home, most people are still furious about 9/11 and dont complain about Afghanistan. But troops are still there, troop strength on the ground is still high. My birds flew into it all the time. It is a big mountainesse (sp?) country. With caves and tunnels dug into kinda like in Vietnam and Korea, it isn't an easy search or battle. So we haven't found him yet. We aren't perfect.

Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:50 PM   #38
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
The generals have to get presidential clearance to launch the nukes. However, congress can trump the prez's decision as a result of our checks and balances.

However, I am not up 100% on whether the prez can just say: Nuke em...without going to congress and asking for permission first.

Just like with Iraq and Afghanistan...congress had to declare war, the prez couldn't do it alone.
Exactly. It annoys me that people said Bush led us to war for an unjustifiable reason. Well Congress gave him the ok and declared war. Some people must not have paid much attention in goverment class back in high school.

The nuke wont get dropped. It is the most feared weapon, but the only time any nuclear weapon has been used against an enemy was Japan. Only way a nuke would ever be launched is if we were directly hit with a nuke.

If we do anything in Iran, it wont be for awhile and it would probably be nothing more then beef up troops at the Iraq/Iran border and drop a few precision guided bombs.

Supermotors

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 07:20 PM   #39
Regular

Region: Tennessee

We never formally declared war on Iraq. We should have, but we never did. Congress authorized the use of force. I agree with you on everything else though.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:21 PM   #40
Regular

Quote:
Just like with Iraq and Afghanistan...congress had to declare war, the prez couldn't do it alone.
He could have still attacked Iran but he would not have been given the amount of time he has now. I believe there is an 80 day window where a President can actively engage another country without some kind of formal approval from Congress.

Reddit
Old 03-26-2007, 07:33 PM   #41
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
We never formally declared war on Iraq. We should have, but we never did. Congress authorized the use of force. I agree with you on everything else though.
you are correct Brent, I suppose I should change my wording around some.

War Powers Act of 1973

Quote:
The purpose of the War Powers Resolution is to ensure that Congress and the President share in making decisions that may get the U.S. involved in hostilities. Portions of the War Powers Resolution require the President to consult with Congress prior to the start of any hostilities as well as regularly until U.S. armed forces are no longer engaged in hostilities (Sec. 3); and to remove U.S. armed forces from hostilities if Congress has not declared war or passed a resolution authorizing the use of force within 60 days (Sec. 5(b)). Following an official request by the President to Congress, the time limit can be extended by an additional 30 days (presumably when "unavoidable military necessity" requires additional action for a safe withdrawal).

War Powers Resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and I did notice this little tid-bit there also on the same page

Quote:
AUTHORIZATION FOR THE USE OF MILITARY FORCE AGAINST IRAQ, H.J. Res. 114, Public Law 107-243, 107th Congress, OCTOBER 16, 2002:

Joint sessions of Congress (then both Republican) asked Republican President George W. Bush to "take appropriate action" to "bring Iraq into compliance with its international obligations," (citing, correctly or not, war against Kuwait, WMD, 1993 assassination attempt President G. H. W. Bush), al Qaida known to be in Iraq, other terrorist organizations, etc).
Wow...it's true Congress approved it. Here I thought it was just Bush finishing Daddy's job.

Supermotors

Old 03-26-2007, 07:42 PM   #42
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrATEX View Post
Wow...it's true Congress approved it. Here I thought it was just Bush finishing Daddy's job.
It was...you are just drinking the wrong Kool aid
Old 03-26-2007, 09:55 PM   #43
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
It was...you are just drinking the wrong Kool aid
must be. been drinking cherry, what kind should i be drinking?

Supermotors

Old 03-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #44
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

RIA Novosti - Russia - Russian intelligence sees U.S. military buildup on Iran border

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #45
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

^^Hmm...
Old 03-28-2007, 04:40 PM   #46
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Hmm...Russian intelligence...isn't that an oxymoron?

Probably just more "exercises" like the war games in the gulf are.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:26 PM   #47
Legacy Member
Legacy

I don't know anything about the source, just relaying the information.

I like turtles.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #48
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

lol and thats important why :dunno:

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #49
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
lol and thats important why :dunno:
I felt that it applied to the thread. One more little tid-bit added to the discussion.

Ballbag.

I like turtles.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #50
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

You posting up that the US is building up troops on the Iran border has absolutely nothing to do with when the US might attack Iran.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:41 PM   #51
Legacy Member
Legacy

This whole thing over the British sailors getting abducted may come to a head pretty soon...

I like turtles.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:45 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
I felt that it applied to the thread. One more little tid-bit added to the discussion.

Ballbag.
I like numbfuc k better. I discovered this word the other day and have yet to use it. So............yeah, I used it.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:51 AM   #53
Regular

Is a U.S.-Iran War Inevitable? | TIME

I just keep waiting for the first news flash.

Reddit

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar