dad had heart surgery yesterday - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
dad had heart surgery yesterday

last week he went in for some pain, and they found out one of his atria was stuck beating at 300 beats/minute. Well, he was having trouble staying conscious when he would move around I guess because the ventricle tried to keep up with the atria, but it was beating so fast blood didn't have a chance to fill before it was already pumping. So he went in for some surgery yesterday morning. I had work and class all day, but luckily we lost power during lab, so we got to leave really early and I got to spend a couple hours with him. The surgery went great they say. I guess they went in through an artery in his leg, so now he has to hold his crotch when he sits down or gets up. I'm just hoping he can recover quickly, since he's diabetic. Anyway, yeah, that's basically it.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Re: dad had heart surgery yesterday

my prayers go out to him. glad everything went well.

2003 Mustang V6 Vert with a Flowmaster Super 40 series dual exhaust
I'm not a target in the sights of your mercy. I've never asked for anything. I'm not asking now.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via AIM to MidnightSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightSpeed

Recovering while being a diabetic can be a *****. My grandma takes forever to heal, as do I. Glad everything went well!!

Old 04-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

thanks. Supposedly there's minimal damage that has to heal. He was quoted 2-3 weeks without being able to lift a hammer, or even put on a sock or tie his shoes. He's used to moving hay once a week... so I'm really hoping he takes it easy for as long as he needs

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 04-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

My prayers go out to him !!!! Being a diabetic myself, When I had spine surgury it took about 4 weeks longer to heal then average

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

how many diabetics are on this site? It seems like I've been running across all sorts of them recently. My lab TA has a little insulin pump. Then there were like 4 people I met yesterday that are diabetic. Half the people in this thread are diabetic. Are you guys Type I or Type II?

Old 04-06-2007, 10:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to MidnightSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightSpeed

Type I, I'm supposed to wear a pump...but I kind of don't (Which I know is really bad)
Old 04-06-2007, 10:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

had an ex that has diabetes and she is now blind and very frail as a result of not taking care of herself. in all seriousness, she was very pretty and because of her foolishness, she looks very sickly.

and if you want another example, look at Herb.

I'm not a target in the sights of your mercy. I've never asked for anything. I'm not asking now.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I take a shot instead. I really don't like the pump. Most of the time it doesn't really go up, I mainly have symptoms of a hypoglicemic. So it goes low usually.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Type II I have to take 2 pills a day ,do the diet thing and alot of sexercise

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
Old 04-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

and he stll doesn't look any better. let this be a lesson kids. start early.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
and he stll doesn't look any better. let this be a lesson kids. start early.
Damn !!! If I had feeling they be hurt

Quote:
Old 04-06-2007, 11:39 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang View Post
Type II I have to take 2 pills a day ,do the diet thing and alot of sexercise
yeah, my dad is on the pills and diet. He zoomed right through the "diet only" thing... was sitting around 300 every day until the pills came along. Now he's still usually a bit high... ~150 or so.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Have mine down from 375 to 125-130 range. It's hard to adjust your life style But the alternative sucks !!

Quote:
Old 04-06-2007, 12:20 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Aidan_04

God bless. I feel you on the diabetic+heart surgery thing.. that's my father. Been there, done that.

I'm the only one in my family who is not diabetic, I'm actually clinically hypoglycemic, the exact opposite, so I know what to do both ways. My brother is the only Type 1, and he takes average of 5 shots a day, while mom, dad, grandmother are all Type 2.

oi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR View Post
^^^my fave V8 chick ^^^
Aidan_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan_04 View Post
God bless. I feel you on the diabetic+heart surgery thing.. that's my father. Been there, done that.

I'm the only one in my family who is not diabetic, I'm actually clinically hypoglycemic, the exact opposite, so I know what to do both ways. My brother is the only Type 1, and he takes average of 5 shots a day, while mom, dad, grandmother are all Type 2.

oi.
damn. My dad's the only one in my family history to have any sort of pancreas problems. Or sleep apnea problems. That's why we're pretty sure it's Agent Orange type stuff.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

In my family it's my Grandma, both her brothers, and her sister had it too before she passed away. And me.

I landed in the hospital 3 times before they really figured it out. Twice my sugar was dangerously high. Once it was low and I couldn't find anything to raise it. I've learned to moniter it, it doesn't go high anymore. Only thing it will do is go low. Haven't really figured out how to fix that one yet. I have had it for 7 years. Doctors haven't been much help.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
damn. My dad's the only one in my family history to have any sort of pancreas problems. Or sleep apnea problems. That's why we're pretty sure it's Agent Orange type stuff.
yeah... which war was that? cause my dad served in Vietnam, and Desert Storm (that I know of).

and thanks to my parents' genetics, we're all screwed up. My bro got the diabetes, and I got the heart problems.

Quote:
^^^my fave V8 chick ^^^
Old 04-06-2007, 12:47 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'm the only one in my family that has it !!

Quote:
Old 04-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan_04 View Post
yeah... which war was that? cause my dad served in Vietnam, and Desert Storm (that I know of).

and thanks to my parents' genetics, we're all screwed up. My bro got the diabetes, and I got the heart problems.

Vietnam.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:27 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

hope he recovers to 100% asap man
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Vietnam.
Hmmm !!!! I Never related the diabetes with the time spend in nam. With all the **** we dropped from the sky anything is possible .Orange wasn't the only toxic defoliant used ,Purple was really ****ed up **** !!! then there was pink and green

Quote:
Old 04-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

sleep apnea can be attributed to smoking as well. is he a smoker, jimmy? i know when i smoked, i had it pretty bad at various times. since i quit, not so much.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

dam that sucks dude, my dad had quad bypass 2 years ago and its a hard recovery. but now he runs circles around me! i wish your dad a sucessful and speedy recovery!

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via MSN to SilentNoise

Good luck to him and the family.
Recovery from that kinda thing is a ***** - my friend's dad went through quadruple by-pass a few years ago, it was a long haul, but worth it in the end.

Wolf Pack Car Club - Domestic V8 Performance Club (Edmonton, AB, Canada)

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
SilentNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:08 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
sleep apnea can be attributed to smoking as well. is he a smoker, jimmy? i know when i smoked, i had it pretty bad at various times. since i quit, not so much.
he smoked for a little while, but hasn't smoked for 25 years... and I guess he was only a little over a pack every couple days. He didn't develop the apnea until about 8 years ago.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:14 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
he smoked for a little while, but hasn't smoked for 25 years... and I guess he was only a little over a pack every couple days. He didn't develop the apnea until about 8 years ago.
good thing he quit. how bad is the apnea. for some it's hereditary. it may be ressesive and that's why the rest of you don't have it.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
good thing he quit. how bad is the apnea. for some it's hereditary. it may be ressesive and that's why the rest of you don't have it.
it requires a machine

Old 04-06-2007, 04:19 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

damn. severe case. i read about that in an article years back. they said once it requires a machine, you're stuck with machine. sorry to hear about that too. but it's better than the alternative.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

you mean like him being so tired he would fall asleep driving home... and I'd have to take the wheel to keep from going in the ditch or worse. The next day he got checked out. That freaked him out so much. He used to fall asleep while he was teaching midsentence... STANDING UP. And when he woke up, he would continue where he left off.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

that almost sounds like a touch of narcolepsy as well. that's strange.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:29 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

it was all apnea. He had gotten an actual night's sleep in so long his body was starting to show MANY bad physical signs. Since then, he's gotten much better, and now sleep isn't an issue... diabetis is.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:29 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang View Post
I'm the only one in my family that has it !!
My wife is also. She is the only one in her family. She is Type I. She is on Lantis and Humalog. What insulin are you guys using?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

^ that's exactly what my brother is on.

mom, dad, grandmother are type 2 and are on different pill setups for theirs.

Quote:
^^^my fave V8 chick ^^^
Old 04-06-2007, 11:34 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to ChickStang02

Oh wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. MY dad hasen't had a restful night in years also. The day we found out he was diabetic the ems had to come get him, he had lost almost thirty pounds in a matter of days, was severly dehydrated and pretty much unable to communicate normally. But he insisted he would not go to the hospital for days, and it all happened so quickly. By the time he got to the hospital he was in a diabetic coma, the regular monitor would not even read on him, so they took his blood and the dr. came to tell us that he was absolutely amazed he was still alive, his b.s.l. was 1134. I remember that no. so well. They told us there was no reason what so ever he should be alive. It was really scary, but he came out of it, he's "normal" now is around 170, that is actaully where he feels his best. But they told us after lots of test that the sleep apnea is caused by unusual ups and downs and flow of insulin to his body. His brains was trying to over compensate for it. Dunno, but he's had three heart attacks now, and heals very slowly also. I so hope for your and your families sake that your father gets better and stays better. He'll be in my prayers =)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar