guitar amp - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2010, 03:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

guitar amp

I'm in the market for a small 10-15 watt amp for the living room so I really don't need anything LOUD, I'm wondering from the experienced guys which brands to stay away from and which are very dependable, I don't want to use it for 6 months then it start cracking and all that ****. I'm using a electric acoustic fender.
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 04:11 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge
Re: guitar amp

Depends on what you are wanting out of it. Are you looking for digital, analog or tube. Also whats style of music do you play. Do you want something with lots of distortion or something that has the cleanest clear channel you can get?

Whats your price range?
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I know the rest, I want to know what brands people have had bad and good experiences with, for example; like honda is known as a good reliable car the rest are options, yogo is not very reliable. I already said I only want a 10-15 watt amp, I can figure out the options I want. I'm sure I can get a very good one for about $200 and less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 05:14 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

I've been playing for 16 years. I asked the questions for a reason. In order for me to be able to suggest something worth while I need to know more background about your playing style and some of the options you'd prefer. I've had digital amps, analog and also tube. All three are very different and you can get all three in the price range and wattage you want. More then anything i need to know the style you play. As with such a low wattage choice and size. It makes all the difference.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 09-22-2010, 05:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I've been playing for 32 years, I just never bought a amp under 100 watts, if you can't answer a simple question then skip this thread. I'll figure it out.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape View Post
I've been playing for 32 years, I just never bought a amp under 100 watts, if you can't answer a simple question then skip this thread. I'll figure it out.
Take your own advice on answering simple questions. I'm just trying to help and by getting that bit of info would help. The questions I ask make a big different with the amps out there today. Playing style makes a huge difference on what amp would be best suited for you needs. So far i've got you want a small amp that doesn't get that loud, but it still doesn't tell me if you play rock, metal, country, blues. Like for example line 6 makes a pretty good digital amp which can me used for just about any style. Then you could look at some of the newer 5watt tube amps which would be great for, blues or country and even some rock. If you want something more leaning towards metal i'd probably go with randall or a small marshall. Best bet to get bang for you buck is to go to Musician's Friend | Your Online Music Instrument & Pro Audio Store | Best Prices, Great Service thats where I get 90% of my stuff. Usually have the best prices and their shipping is quick.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 09-22-2010, 06:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm in the market for a small 10-15 watt amp for the living room so I really don't need anything LOUD, I'm wondering from the experienced guys which brands to stay away from and which are very dependable, I don't want to use it for 6 months then it start cracking and all that ****. I'm using a electric acoustic fender.
I told you I'm using a electric acoustic fender guitar, what kind of music do people usually play with a acoustic guitar? I'm wanting a 10-15 watt amp should tell someone I don't want it very loud even though 10-15 true watts is pretty loud in anyone’s living room. My only concern is brand name, thats it. I'll spend $200 for a 10-15 watt amp if someone had good experiences with a certain brand name. Sonic, I am thankful you taking the time out to post but I know what I want, I'm just concern about a dependable low amp brand names not the bells and whistles, Fender has some nice ones but they make them in china now, I think a US built amp would be better but I don't have any experience with low wattage amps.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:42 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'd suggest this one then. I love peavey amps. I am currently using a vavleking and plan on getting a 6505 here soon. They make great amps. This one is a 20watt, but only cost $119

Buy Peavey Ecoustic E20 20W 1x8 Acoustic Combo Amp | Acoustic Combo Amps | Musician's Friend
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 09-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

I wish I could play guitar..who wants to teach me.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic04edge View Post
I'd suggest this one then. I love peavey amps. I am currently using a vavleking and plan on getting a 6505 here soon. They make great amps. This one is a 20watt, but only cost $119

Buy Peavey Ecoustic E20 20W 1x8 Acoustic Combo Amp | Acoustic Combo Amps | Musician's Friend
Thank you sir, I also had Peavey in mind, always had good luck with the larger peavey amps. I wasn't sure about their low watt amps.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

You can't go wrong with a Peavey or a Crate. Both are solid and popular brands.

Also, playing acoustic on a 10-15 watt amp... as long as its not cheap/terrible, I don't think you'll have to worry about blowing it. Seems like light use to me. Just check reviews before buying.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for your post wiarumas, one concern I have is the crackling and popping some amps emit after sometime of use, like when you turn the rheostat, you said "playing acoustic on a 10-15 watt amp... as long as its not cheap/terrible" are you referring to the amp or guitar?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
thanks for your post wiarumas, one concern I have is the crackling and popping some amps emit after sometime of use, like when you turn the rheostat, you said "playing acoustic on a 10-15 watt amp... as long as its not cheap/terrible" are you referring to the amp or guitar?
It could be both. It depends on the pickup in the guitar. I've played some acoustic/electrics on a few different amps and the guitar was the problem. Best thing with small amps is to keep the volume nob on the guitar about mid way and use the volume on the amp if you want it louder.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 09-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to 02Nate281 Send a message via MSN to 02Nate281 Send a message via Yahoo to 02Nate281 Send a message via Skype™ to 02Nate281

So I'm guessing we have quite a few guitar players here. Where did you guys start in playing and what did you use to learn?
Old 09-22-2010, 11:49 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

I love my mini Marshall I've had it for twelve years now and only had to replace the volume knob one time.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:42 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I just found out if you have a electric acoustic guitar you can't just use any amp, you must use a electric acoustic amp.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:48 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Nate281 View Post
So I'm guessing we have quite a few guitar players here. Where did you guys start in playing and what did you use to learn?
got my first guitar when I was 8 but didn't get really serious until I was 16, I'm 48 now so I've have plenty of time to learn. If you want or think you want to get into it try to find some ppl that play and hang with them and see if you really want to spend the money and stick with it. You can get a decent acoustic guitar for less then a 100$ and the best deals come from crackheads.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to 02Nate281 Send a message via MSN to 02Nate281 Send a message via Yahoo to 02Nate281 Send a message via Skype™ to 02Nate281

Quote:
got my first guitar when I was 8 but didn't get really serious until I was 16, I'm 48 now so I've have plenty of time to learn. If you want or think you want to get into it try to find some ppl that play and hang with them and see if you really want to spend the money and stick with it. You can get a decent acoustic guitar for less then a 100$ and the best deals come from crackheads.
I own a $700 Jackson Warrior and and a $400 Line 6 amp with half a grand of recording software that I bought while I was in Iraq to pass the downtime. We had like 5 other guys on my hallway that played also, some for 10+ years. I know all of the basic chords and a ****load of easy songs. I'm now working my way to learning pentatonic scales and arpeggios and sweeping techniques because I prefer a metal playing style. I'm just looking for tips and direction on learning this style, but all I have come across on the net is jargon and bull****. I've been playing for almost a year and a half.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar