Foxbodies> * - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2007, 03:33 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Re: Foxbodies> *

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknbronco View Post
Exactly Fox's are far better to start from but I was giving my honest impression that which may differ from yours.
Huh? I missed your honest opinion. What did you say?
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah the weight is a disadvantage but atleast your safer.
Nevermind I see it now. Definately true. One of the things next in line is a 5 lug conversion and some real brakes.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:34 PM   #38
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post
Are you blind or can you just not read. I said best PLATFORM. The stock foxes are junk, drum brakes, A9L computer and all. If you think I'm comparing a stock fox to a stock 05, or termy, you need a mental evaluation. That's like comparing the original GT500 to the new one, there isn't one. All I was saying is that they are a better platform to start from, especially when starting from scratch.
What's wrong with an A9L? :dunno:

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2007, 04:34 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Quote:
Umm.. Actually it wouldn't decrease the handling capabilities Mr. Know it all. And since when did owning a fox make you a redneck. Sounds more to me that you are turning into an elitist ever since you bought a car with some power. You want to talk about launching? Let's discuss the 03 cobra's wonderful IRS setup that is based on a 4 link. Now there is a good setup.

Are you blind or can you just not read. I said best PLATFORM. The stock foxes are junk, drum brakes, A9L computer and all. If you think I'm comparing a stock fox to a stock 05, or termy, you need a mental evaluation. That's like comparing the original GT500 to the new one, there isn't one. All I was saying is that they are a better platform to start from, especially when starting from scratch.
I wasn't comparing a Terminator to a Foxbody. I was comparing F-Bodies to Mustangs built on a chassis based on the Fox platform,(which an 03 Cobra is) and was using the 05 Mustang to help make my point.

I don't care if a IRS is not as good for launching as a straight axle. I'm not into just drag racing.(infact I've never even taken a car to a track) I like having a bad *** street car. You can say what you want about the Cobras IRS but if you spend the money to build it right(like I am in the processes of doing) it is a very good setup for its intended purpose, but a straight axle is defenantly better for the drags.

Look man I never said that owning a Fox Mustang made you a Redneck. Let me explain.

"My dad recently retired from the Air Force after 25 years of service. He bought him and my mom some land not far from where I live and they bought some Anguss cows to raise. The cows have babies and some of them have penises. You don't want a bunch of baby bulls to get big and keep their balls because they will be fighting amongst themselve. So what you do is get rid of all their balls, except for one lucky bull that gets to keep his so he can make more baby bulls to have their ball removed. What I was having to do is pinch the baby bulls inbetween a wall and a gate with cow crap all on it, with them kickin and screaming to get out, while their moma cows were having a fit. I also had to hold their tail up while my dad put this little rubberband that looks like a O-ring gasket over their balls so that they would rot off in a few of weeks."

I hope that that clarifies things for you.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
Yeah, I thought alot of people were putting those in their 5.0 SN95's?
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #41
Legacy Member
Legacy

Also, to those who question the greatness of the Fox: do me a favor. Go home, pull your car into the garage, and rip off every aftermarket part that's on it. Because without the Fox body Mustang, they would never have been made. After your done, STFU.

Either that or just sell your Stang and buy a Probe. Then STFU.

Scary stuff.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Ok never bring a bulls balls into any thing again2:
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:52 PM   #43
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Also, to those who question the greatness of the Fox: do me a favor. Go home, pull your car into the garage, and rip off every aftermarket part that's on it. Because without the Fox body Mustang, they would never have been made. After your done, STFU.
thats a very interesting assumption.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:53 PM   #44
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
thats a very interesting assumption.
I would have said "true" instead of "interesting", but you had the right idea.

Scary stuff.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:00 PM   #45
Legacy Member
Legacy

so youre basing the mustangs post-fox would have no aftermarket if it wasnt for the fox?

im pretty sure the aftermarket for all the other cars would have helped make the post fox stangs though. hell, maybe the 96-04 stangs wouldve gotten 5.0's or 5.8's instead..........

Old 06-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #46
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
so youre basing the mustangs post-fox would have no aftermarket if it wasnt for the fox?

im pretty sure the aftermarket for all the other cars would have helped make the post fox stangs though. hell, maybe the 96-04 stangs wouldve gotten 5.0's or 5.8's instead..........
Maybe not absolutely no aftermarket, but it wouldn't be anywhere near what it is. The ease of modding the 5.0 and it's ability to gain crazy amounts of horsepower with simple bolt-ons caused a huge explosion in the Mustang aftermarket. Before that, there was no real Mustang aftermarket. You either used stock or modified stock parts, or you used nothing.

Scary stuff.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:21 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Everything for an mustang is a bolt on mod with the exception of a few things that require welding.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:23 PM   #48
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Everything for an mustang is a bolt on mod with the exception of a few things that require welding.
"simple bolt-ons".

It's a term people use pretty much all the time.

Scary stuff.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Ans some folks cant even screw on an oil filter never mind a cai simple is all in who your talking to.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:43 PM   #50
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Ans some folks cant even screw on an oil filter never mind a cai simple is all in who your talking to.
I'm not going to sit here and argue with you about a term that is even more widely used than your "cai".

Scary stuff.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #51
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Maybe not absolutely no aftermarket, but it wouldn't be anywhere near what it is. The ease of modding the 5.0 and it's ability to gain crazy amounts of horsepower with simple bolt-ons caused a huge explosion in the Mustang aftermarket. Before that, there was no real Mustang aftermarket. You either used stock or modified stock parts, or you used nothing.
And you know this because you were around when those late 60's, early 70's mustangs were around to play with, right?

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #52
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
And you know this because you were around when those late 60's, early 70's mustangs were around to play with, right?
No, I know it because I can read.

Scary stuff.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:43 PM   #53
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

I guess all those aftermarket companies must have started in the 80's then.

I like toys
Old 06-04-2007, 05:56 AM   #54

foxbodies rule:drive: well imo of course but i am a little biased
1990 lx coupe...mods...gt40 crate engine with gt40x ported and polished heads,e303cam,bbk longtubes with bbk o/r xpipe, cobra upper and lower intake with bbk 65mm throttle body, c&l cold air tube, #30 injectors, kirban fuel pressure regulator,hypertech chip,underdrive pulleys, jegs 100 amp alternator,sub fram connectors, griffin 3 core radiator with black magic fan,3.73 gears, flowmaster mufflers, hurst short throw shifter with world class t5, and a compucar 125 wet shot nitrous kit (gotta get reinstalled)
gambit90lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:26 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

Quote:
I guess all those aftermarket companies must have started in the 80's then.
YES, actually they did......

ask any old school hard core 50 racer, they'll tell you that back in the early 80's the 5.0 market was pretty much sitting where the 4.6 market was about 2-3 years ago.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:58 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Aftermarket companies wont make parts where they can not make a profit. The 302 had been around so long and was going to be around they started to support it and make a wide range of parts. Other companies hopped on the band wagon creating a nice field of competition.

Any vehicle can have a massive aftermarket if profit is there. There were enough Mustangs to give companies a good return so they made parts to sell.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:31 AM   #57
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Just because the 5.0 mustang was around, doesn't mean there wouldn't be any aftermarket if it wasn't for them. The same companies that make **** for the 5.0 make things for the ls1, lt1, hemi, etc, etc. I dont think Flowmaster started because there was a 5.0L motor... thats what Im saying. The 5.0L could have been a 5.4 all its life, and it wouldn't have mattered.

And I dont know where you're getting that the 5.0 gets ungodly amounts of power from simple bolt ons. If you think 230 or so rwhp with a bunch of bolt ons is ungodly, then there's a few screws loose.

I like toys
Old 06-04-2007, 09:37 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

It wouldnt matter if the fox was called a fox body, it was made by ford, or even had a 302. What mattered was that someone made a cheap vehicle that was in a high enough volume that it made for good business to sell parts for them to modify their vehicles with.

In our case the Mustang, Camaro, and the like pushed the aftermarket companies to develop parts for them more than others. We can thank the Mustang for making the market a good bit of what it is today... but without the Mustang or even Ford the market would have still grown, it would have just been via thanks to another vehicle.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #59
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

Screw the old 5'oh. Bring me the new DOHC 5.0
Old 06-04-2007, 04:41 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
I wasn't comparing a Terminator to a Foxbody. I was comparing F-Bodies to Mustangs built on a chassis based on the Fox platform,(which an 03 Cobra is) and was using the 05 Mustang to help make my point.

I don't care if a IRS is not as good for launching as a straight axle. I'm not into just drag racing.(infact I've never even taken a car to a track) I like having a bad *** street car. You can say what you want about the Cobras IRS but if you spend the money to build it right(like I am in the processes of doing) it is a very good setup for its intended purpose, but a straight axle is defenantly better for the drags.

Look man I never said that owning a Fox Mustang made you a Redneck. Let me explain.

"My dad recently retired from the Air Force after 25 years of service. He bought him and my mom some land not far from where I live and they bought some Anguss cows to raise. The cows have babies and some of them have penises. You don't want a bunch of baby bulls to get big and keep their balls because they will be fighting amongst themselve. So what you do is get rid of all their balls, except for one lucky bull that gets to keep his so he can make more baby bulls to have their ball removed. What I was having to do is pinch the baby bulls inbetween a wall and a gate with cow crap all on it, with them kickin and screaming to get out, while their moma cows were having a fit. I also had to hold their tail up while my dad put this little rubberband that looks like a O-ring gasket over their balls so that they would rot off in a few of weeks."

I hope that that clarifies things for you.

1. I was saying it wasn't that great of an IRS compared to others that have it and rear mounting points to support it. I know they can be stout and can taken a beating if built correctly. Also, I was referring to an all around street car as you were, but I see what you are saying.

2. Gotcha, I thought you were making a sarcastic comment toward fox bodies, but you said what you meant, literally. My apologies .
Old 06-04-2007, 04:45 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
In comparison, to the New Edge computers, a lot. 400 dollar programmer that can power an 1100 hp car with the stock computer is better than an 899 dollar piggyback programmer(Anderson Motorsports PMS) doing the same. The new stuff is just better, but the A9L is tons better than what's on the 94-5.

On that note, does anyone still have the 5.0 where a guy retrorigged a fox body with a pushrod and uses the New Edge EEC setup? It's cool. Has a distributor delete and COP's.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:46 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

I just wanna add that foxbody > S197

bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:48 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And I dont know where you're getting that the 5.0 gets ungodly amounts of power from simple bolt ons. If you think 230 or so rwhp with a bunch of bolt ons is ungodly, then there's a few screws loose.
I consider heads, cam, and intake bolt ons.... Now blower/turbo/nitrous different story. Depends on who you talk to.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:37 PM   #64
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Quote:
I consider heads, cam, and intake bolt ons.... Now blower/turbo/nitrous different story. Depends on who you talk to.
Id consider a blower a bolt on before i considered a cam a bolt on. Intakes... ok... but heads and cam are not easy "bolt on" items.

I like toys
Old 06-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Id consider a blower a bolt on before i considered a cam a bolt on. Intakes... ok... but heads and cam are not easy "bolt on" items.
True. Like previously stated it's all in who you talk to. Kind of like "cam only" ls1's/lt1's that have to have better heads to help the cam, nitrous to take better advantage of the heads, a throttle body since enough air can't get through, a better intake to go with the heads, and so on.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:33 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
Yeah that would be nice.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:36 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

/\ No ****. You can, but for a price. That and I can't stand having a car that I need a shop manual(the ones that the dealers use, i.e. a thousand pages) to work on it. OHC= PITA to work on.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #68
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
keep dreaming. however it would be nice to at least have more displacement in the GT's, maybe a 5.0 modular being the norm would be sweet.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Man this make me want a Stang even more.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:46 PM   #70
Legacy Member
Legacy

Let's take a look at some of the companies that started out making aftermarket parts for the fox body Mustang:

Steeda
Saleen
Maximum Motorsports
Trick Flow
SVT
Ford Racing
C & L
UPR
Mac (before they only worked on motorcycles)

I'm sure there are many more I'm missing. Not to mention helping revive other companies that had seen a rapid decline ever since the oil shortages of the '70s. Such as B&M, Edelbrock, Holley, etc.

And if the Mustang didn't cause this, then what would have? The Probe?

Scary stuff.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar