question about lease... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
question about lease...

so yeah, I signed a lease about 30 days ago (not sure the exact date)... and I don't want to live there any more. There is still around 2 months until I would technically take occupancy. My dad told me something about a law stating that if you give notice 30 days before taking occupancy, (in Iowa) they can't hold the lease against you. Can someone help me find something that could help me with the apartment place tomorrow? I just need something in the law books that'll let me walk out of there off the lease, so I can get a nicer apartment. Thanks guys.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 10:10 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF
Re: question about lease...

lol, i dunno of any ME lawyers...but gl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

yeah I know... I just can't live in this place. My parents were helping me move today (I was supposed to move some stuff over there today... even though I don't "take occupancy" for another 7 weeks...) and my mom walks in and there's an 8 foot penis drawn on their wall in permanent marker. I don't want to live in a house like that.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
yeah I know... I just can't live in this place. My parents were helping me move today (I was supposed to move some stuff over there today... even though I don't "take occupancy" for another 7 weeks...) and my mom walks in and there's an 8 foot penis drawn on their wall in permanent marker. I don't want to live in a house like that.
Still pretty funny.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:22 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews.stang View Post
Still pretty funny.
yeah.. hilarious, but I don't want one of their friends in a drunken stupor to draw a penis on my $2k TV... plus, I have grad school in a year, I couldn't do grad school in that apartment.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:24 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

lol you might wake up with a penis drawn on your face. or your buddies might take "compromising" pictures of a certain male reproductive organ flung about in front of your face.

id never do anything like that, just saying though :dunno:........

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:32 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
lol you might wake up with a penis drawn on your face. or your buddies might take "compromising" pictures of a certain male reproductive organ flung about in front of your face.

id never do anything like that, just saying though :dunno:........
for the record: spring break 06... there are jimmy penis pictures that got taken... while I had alcohol poisoning. One of my "friends" took advantage of the situation... and when I found out, I beat his ***.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

wow some of you guys (midwesterners) are just a bunch of **** arent ya
jk thats some ****. I wish you luck on getting out
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:48 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'm kinda at the point where I want to start being more mature... and large penises on walls.. isn't helping.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to fast64

My lease says that if I decide to move out early, I have to pay off the remainder of the 12-months.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

this lease says if I want out completely... I have to pay 25% of the annual balance by June 1st... my dad's talking to our lawyer in the morning. The guy is fantastic, so if there's a way, he'll find it. And after that, I get my own place...

Old 06-10-2007, 11:03 PM   #12
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

There are ways out of leases, but I don't know any specifics. A friend of mine moved in, went to wal-mart for something, was gone for 15 minutes, and when he got back, door kicked in, big screen television gone.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:14 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah... I wouldn't move my 43" HDTV in there... no way in hell. Plus, there's still 60 days before I would take occupation of the lease, so that should help me a lot. I'm pretty sure it's open and shut me out of the lease. I just need the lawyer to swing his nuts at them to show them I'm not kidding. Plus, my dad's paying for it.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

you daddys boy
Old 06-11-2007, 09:13 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang View Post
you daddys boy
he pays for my car and car insurance... why not be a daddy's boy?

Old 06-11-2007, 10:52 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Most places even if you sign will let you out of it if you pay the last months rent.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:27 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
for the record: spring break 06... there are jimmy penis pictures that got taken... while I had alcohol poisoning. One of my "friends" took advantage of the situation... and when I found out, I beat his ***.
lol its what you get. alchy poisoning and whatnot. dam drunk.

we had one guy that always came around and got ****face drunk and passed out all the time. we told him one night if he passed out bad things would happen, he passed out, and bad things happened. needless to say he doesnt drink with us anymore.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
he pays for my car and car insurance... why not be a daddy's boy?
must be nice huh wish my dad did that for me
Old 06-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #19
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

^ seriously.

Is it just me or am I the only one who doesn't have a lawyer on speed dial?
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah, he has a meeting with the lawyer at 10 am tomorrow morning. It would've been today but the guy was in court all day I guess. I'm just kind of praying. Also, to SpectorV... I haven't entered into the lease term yet. That doesn't happen for another almost 60 days. I want out of the lease before it starts... and I would prefer to not have to pay ~$1000 to do it. (montly rent is ~$900... only 2 guys on the lease, even though 3 live there currently, and will live there next fall... but more like 5 people are really living there, just because they always have these other two guys there.. and since those 2 don't pay for ****, I don't wanna get into that situation). Plus, even if I find a subleassor, it says I'm still responsible for damages to the apartment because I'm the original lessor, which is bull**** cause they could get the guy for ~$5k in damages without working too hard... and I don't want to be on the hook for that ****.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

I don't... but my dad does some times. Just depends on how much of an *** they decided to be, and when she wouldn't even let me finish talking, we knew it was going to get ugly in a hurry. I was explaining to her, and she turns to walk away and says "you signed the lease, you can't get off it legally"... "show me where in the lease it says that"... *shows me something about subleasing during the lease term, and I told her that wasn't applicable since we're not in the lease term, and she goes "that's how a judge would see it"... "are you a judge?"... "no"... "did you take law school courses?"... "no"... "then don't tell me how a judge would see it, since you don't have a degree to interpret law"... "let me get your copy of the lease, and then I suggest you leave"... /convo

Old 06-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to fast64

I'm pretty sure if you sign something, you are bound to the terms of it, even if its before the time you move in.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64 View Post
I'm pretty sure if you sign something, you are bound to the terms of it, even if its before the time you move in.
it's state dependent.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

You DID sign a legally binding document stating you will pay 12 months of lease at 900 dollars a month.

Therefore, the only LEGAL way out of the lease would be to pay the full 12 months. The leeser is being very generous offering you to pay 25% of the rent to terminate the legally binding agreement between you (the lessee) and the leeser.

You go ahead and let your dad pay the 500 or 1000 dollars to the lawyer to get you out of the lease and go sign a more expensive one somewhere else. Whatev.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
You DID sign a legally binding document stating you will pay 12 months of lease at 900 dollars a month.

Therefore, the only LEGAL way out of the lease would be to pay the full 12 months. The leeser is being very generous offering you to pay 25% of the rent to terminate the legally binding agreement between you (the lessee) and the leeser.

You go ahead and let your dad pay the 500 or 1000 dollars to the lawyer to get you out of the lease and go sign a more expensive one somewhere else. Whatev.
ummm, I don't know how things go down there, but that isn't how a lot of states do it. I realize it's a legally binding contract, however, they also have to hold up their part of the lease, which is providing a house that is liveable. I'm not saying living in the house is impossible, but no one should be forced to live in a house with drawings on the wall, broken windows, etc. I didn't cause the damage, I will not be held responsible for it. Also, the lease at the other place isn't more expensive... it's $575 a month... and it's 10x nicer. Why are you so pissed off dude? I could get into all the reasons I don't want to live there, but the fact of the matter is, I don't want to live there... and almost no matter what I say isn't going to be "good enough" for some people so I won't bother.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:13 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Then why didn't you look at the place before signing a lease?

Part of signing the agreement is looking at the place beforehand and agreeing that is where you want to live. I'm sorry, I have no sympathy, I keep up several apartments and a few rental houses, and the crap I have to put up with is ridiculous. Don't rent a place if that's not where you want to live.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Send a message via MSN to rydog

Yea I just bought a house and i had to pay rent on my old rental house untill the lease was up or someone else rented it luckily it only took a month for someone else to rent it

97 V6-GT40 turbo-42#rs-BA2800 MAF-4.10's & tlok-254rwhp-369rwtq
Turbo'd by-TMA Turbo(http://www.tmaturbo.com/)
Tuned by-Dyno Tuned Performance(http://www.dtpracing.com/)
rydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Then why didn't you look at the place before signing a lease?

Part of signing the agreement is looking at the place beforehand and agreeing that is where you want to live. I'm sorry, I have no sympathy, I keep up several apartments and a few rental houses, and the crap I have to put up with is ridiculous. Don't rent a place if that's not where you want to live.
since signing the lease, the house has gone downhill. I'm not asking for sympathy. Anyway, I find out this morning what the lawyer thinks. I might have something else that came up that would really prevent me from living there, but I won't get into that on a public forum.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:09 AM   #29
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
since signing the lease, the house has gone downhill. I'm not asking for sympathy. Anyway, I find out this morning what the lawyer thinks. I might have something else that came up that would really prevent me from living there, but I won't get into that on a public forum.
I told you to stay away from those underage girls
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8r View Post
I told you to stay away from those underage girls
if only you knew how close you were. I think I'm "out of the woods" with that issue though.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

It also depends on the apartments. The place I'm at now will let you out by paying 75% of an extra months rent and you lose your security deposit.

The place I just left had absolutely NO way out of the lease early without paying the entire balance.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #32
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
if only you knew how close you were. I think I'm "out of the woods" with that issue though.
I figured as much...
Old 06-18-2007, 10:05 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I figured as much...
she's not underage though.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:29 PM   #34
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
she's not underage though.
ahh... so she was saying no while you were saying ohhhh
Old 06-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
ahh... so she was saying no while you were saying ohhhh
no...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar