seriously i need to know everyones opinions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
seriously i need to know everyones opinions

So im currently going to school to become a firefighter and emt, which ill have to go to college after to get my paramedic card which is required for most stations to be a full time firefighter. I have been talking to a marine recruiter and in fact almost enlisted but i have had second thoughts considering joining the marines wont in any way further my firefighting career or EMS career and talkin to my dad he has kind of given me incentive to do what he believes would be best for me(join the airforce and get into firefighting in there, or just go straight from highschool to college and get my paramedic card) anyways the incentive is a freakin beautiful muscle car(1969 coronet r/t clone) to get the car basically i i have to keep my head on straight and either join the airforce to further my firefighting or i can just go through and graduate college. Whats your guys opinions on this? What would you do? What should i do? Take the car out of the picture and give me your thoughts. I only have one shot at this and im tryin to do whats right and best for me.

Thanks
Billy
1996v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: seriously i need to know everyones opinions

The choice is ultimately yours.

A history in the military will definitely help you in any future endeavors. Especially those dealing with local governments.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to 02Nate281 Send a message via MSN to 02Nate281 Send a message via Yahoo to 02Nate281 Send a message via Skype™ to 02Nate281

The Marines and the Air Force have a reserve(non full time), just like every other branch of the military. If you join a reserve, they will most likely pay for your college. The Army National Guard is another good option for college, as they offer up to $40,000 in tuition assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
The choice is ultimately yours.

A history in the military will definitely help you in any future endeavors. Especially those dealing with local governments.
As lowflyn said, the choice is yours.

On the contrary though, businesses, employers, etc. do not give a **** about military experience. It's no better than having a GED. Trust me on this, because I know from personal experience.
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

Joining the Air force would definitely further your career either way, I don't think anybody can tell you what to do you have to figure it out on your own it's a part of growing up. College would most likely be quicker.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Nate281 View Post
The Marines and the Air Force have a reserve(non full time), just like every other branch of the military. If you join a reserve, they will most likely pay for your college. The Army National Guard is another good option for college, as they offer up to $40,000 in tuition assistance.

As lowflyn said, the choice is yours.

On the contrary though, businesses, employers, etc. do not give a **** about military experience. It's no better than having a GED. Trust me on this, because I know from personal experience.
Should probably change that to its no better then graduating high school. Most places consider getting your GED a step above a high school diploma.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
It's no better than having a GED. .
In my experience GED is better than a High School Diploma most places around here will hire a person with a GED before they would hire someone with a H.S.D.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
In my experience GED is better than a High School Diploma most places around here will hire a person with a GED before they would hire someone with a H.S.D.
That is correct. It didn't use to be the case, but the GED test is harder then HSD now. So you are twice as likely to be picked over someone who has a HSD.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to 02Nate281 Send a message via MSN to 02Nate281 Send a message via Yahoo to 02Nate281 Send a message via Skype™ to 02Nate281

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic04edge View Post
That is correct. It didn't use to be the case, but the GED test is harder then HSD now. So you are twice as likely to be picked over someone who has a HSD.
Damn I didn't know that. I dropped out, got my GED, joined the Army and haven't looked back.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:30 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick

okay a few things on my end:

if you aren't currently running as an emt, do not go directly to paramedic school. get a few years of bls under your belt before geting the emt-p cert, otherwise, you will get yourself in WAY over your head. you need to run a few years as an emt-b and get experience first.

also, cars can come later in life. get your education first, car second.

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

dont skip out on college due to you thinking you wont like it or it will be to hard, its not that bad as long as you put effort into it and do what you need to do.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

Quote:
Around here (DC area - huge firms), they LOVE military experience. Mostly because it comes with security clearance. They will most definitely hire someone with military experience over a similar qualified individual.

HOWEVER, only if they are educated, successful, and typically high ranking.

That said, I would not go to the military on a whim. Its not something you do for a little bit just for the resume - its a long term commitment or its not worth it. Get a college education and aim to be an officer, or don't bother going.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

Also, buy one car now and enjoy it while it lasts, or set yourself up to be successful now and buy yourself 10 nice cars in the future. Which is more worth it?

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

around here if you have military experience you get like a 15% bonus on civil services tests which is a test that you will have to take to get on at a fire station but i am aware that just becuase you get that 15% bonus it doesnt guarantee you a job or anything like that. and if i do join the airforce i plan to college afterwards anyways. another question is, How long do you have to go to college to become an officer in the airforce anyone know? two years?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996v6stang View Post
How long do you have to go to college to become an officer in the airforce anyone know? two years?
4 year degree.

Modified 2004 V6
Old 10-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
around here if you have military experience you get like a 15% bonus on civil services tests which is a test that you will have to take to get on at a fire station but i am aware that just becuase you get that 15% bonus it doesnt guarantee you a job or anything like that. and if i do join the airforce i plan to college afterwards anyways. another question is, How long do you have to go to college to become an officer in the airforce anyone know? two years?
Some colleges offer Air Force ROTC programs. Usually four years. But you can get a two year degree without ROTC, join the AF and then go through their officer training program.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack

Well I am working on my masters in business management and never give up on your education do the college and work part time with the army national guard. Best scenerio...

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other

The Few the Proud "The Marines"
you cant go wrong with either!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorachick View Post
4 year degree.
hmmmm sounds like its for someone that wants to make a career of the airforce
Old 10-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #19

seriously---the idea that an employer doesn't appreciate time served is a liitle more complicated than 'failing to suceed...nate' shared...he probably has an excuse for everything and nothing is his fault...i'm sure everyone has heard...'can't get a job cuz i don't have experience...can't get experience cuz i can't get a job'... what you can learn in the military...i picked the Air Force because you are most likely to get out alive...it is true that your specialty training is aimed at the specific job you will be doing for them and there isn't much call for that particular knowledge on the outside because you'll be maintaining things that are obsolete...and by now i'm sure they have stream lined their specialty training even more than when i was in...but what you learn about yourself is invaluable...you will experience 'imposed disapline'...that is why they cut off your hair and call you a magot and get in your face...you learn to 'suck it up'...because the needs of the many are more important than the needs of the one...it is a little like the BORG, you are one part of a machine, you can be replaced, you have a job to do, you are a part of a unit...you then experience 'self disapline'...you will go in a boy and come out a man (unless, of course, you are a whinner/loser that can't get a break) also, i'm guessing you are probably about 20 or so maybe less...males do not reach their full physical maturity in most cases until 22 or 23...that's about how old you would be when yiou get out...if you go to college i'd bet the most exercise you'll be getting would be on your elbow, and the heaviest weight you'll be lifting would be the weight of a full beer...even with the best intentions...then...have you heard of boot strap? maybe you'd want to trade that mustang with wheels for one with wings...maybe instead of ems you want to be a doctor...the military needs doctors, nurses too...and if you're enlisted and in health care, they issue you a special pair of skates that most specialties don't get...i am not a recruiter...i just saw your request said 'seriously'...and this is just my opinion, seriously...the least you could get out of it is a buffed body and a disaplined mind...its a time away from everything you are used to, and just because things might be done different it doesn't mean it is wrong...and they even throw in leadership training...and when you get out you take with you what you want and leave the rest...good luck with whatever you decide...
newportwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:49 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
hmmmm sounds like its for someone that wants to make a career of the airforce
you should do what you really want to do but you def need to get an education. i think the fire/ems stuff is great and you can make an awesome career out of it, but most places are requiring a degree now as well.

Modified 2004 V6
Old 10-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
you should do what you really want to do but you def need to get an education. i think the fire/ems stuff is great and you can make an awesome career out of it, but most places are requiring a degree now as well.
wouldnt i get a two year degree for going to college to get my paramedic card? And the way i see it is i will be trying to go into firefighting in the USAF so that will further my education,
Old 10-13-2010, 07:24 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
wouldnt i get a two year degree for going to college to get my paramedic card? And the way i see it is i will be trying to go into firefighting in the USAF so that will further my education,
it will but some places require a 4 year degree as well. have you run at all as an emt-b yet?

Modified 2004 V6
Old 10-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
it will but some places require a 4 year degree as well. have you run at all as an emt-b yet?
no i havent im going to a technical school right now and am still going to highschool, im still 17 but i believe in like december is when were gonna take the national registry test to get out emt-b certifications.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah you are still very young, get out in the field for a few years first before you even think about going to paramedic school

Modified 2004 V6
Old 10-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #25
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Quote:
no i havent im going to a technical school right now and am still going to highschool, im still 17 but i believe in like december is when were gonna take the national registry test to get out emt-b certifications.
Think it over. If I were you I would maybe work for a little while. I would also consider joining the USAF they have the program you like and you could be very well prepared for the future. Who knows you could make a career out of it. Plus they will pay for you to go to school.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Think it over. If I were you I would maybe work for a little while. I would also consider joining the USAF they have the program you like and you could be very well prepared for the future. Who knows you could make a career out of it. Plus they will pay for you to go to school.
I think i have made my mind up, have been heavily researching the airforce careers and i want to to the Pararescue and become a PJ, they are the special forces of the USAF, the training is very very long and hard but i feel like it will put me further ahead than any other career and training. You are basically a combat trained emt-p that will do special rescue missions and i think this might even be something that i will like well enough to committ to for a 20 year career. Here are the physical requirements to just get in,
- 1.5 mile run - within 10:30 (sub 9:00)
- Swim 500m - within 16:00 (sidestroke or freestyle) (sub 9:00)
- Swim 20m underwater
- Pullups - 8 (20+)
- Situps - 50 in 2:00 (100)
- Pushups - 50 in 2:00 (100)
- Flutterkicks - 50 in 2:00 (100
Old 10-14-2010, 11:39 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think i have made my mind up, have been heavily researching the airforce careers and i want to to the Pararescue and become a PJ, they are the special forces of the USAF, the training is very very long and hard but i feel like it will put me further ahead than any other career and training. You are basically a combat trained emt-p that will do special rescue missions and i think this might even be something that i will like well enough to committ to for a 20 year career. Here are the physical requirements to just get in,
- 1.5 mile run - within 10:30 (sub 9:00)
- Swim 500m - within 16:00 (sidestroke or freestyle) (sub 9:00)
- Swim 20m underwater
- Pullups - 8 (20+)
- Situps - 50 in 2:00 (100)
- Pushups - 50 in 2:00 (100)
- Flutterkicks - 50 in 2:00 (100
Keep in mind that just because you join the Air Force doesn't guarantee you a place in Para-rescuing or guarantee that you will become a parajumper. You will still have to start at the bottom as an airman, and work your way up, and then get chosen for the slot, IF there are any available. As a special operations organization, you have to be chosen by them to go through their training, and the dropout rate is between 60 and 90 percent for most special operations training programs.

I'm not trying to be a know-it-all, but when it comes to do with the military, I DO know what I'm talking about. I am by no means an expert on the Air Force, but I do know the process of training and the selection phase of special forces operations.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:42 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportwo View Post
seriously---the idea that an employer doesn't appreciate time served is a liitle more complicated than 'failing to suceed...nate' shared...he probably has an excuse for everything and nothing is his fault...i'm sure everyone has heard...'can't get a job cuz i don't have experience...can't get experience cuz i can't get a job'... what you can learn in the military...i picked the Air Force because you are most likely to get out alive...it is true that your specialty training is aimed at the specific job you will be doing for them and there isn't much call for that particular knowledge on the outside because you'll be maintaining things that are obsolete...and by now i'm sure they have stream lined their specialty training even more than when i was in...but what you learn about yourself is invaluable...you will experience 'imposed disapline'...that is why they cut off your hair and call you a magot and get in your face...you learn to 'suck it up'...because the needs of the many are more important than the needs of the one...it is a little like the BORG, you are one part of a machine, you can be replaced, you have a job to do, you are a part of a unit...you then experience 'self disapline'...you will go in a boy and come out a man (unless, of course, you are a whinner/loser that can't get a break) also, i'm guessing you are probably about 20 or so maybe less...males do not reach their full physical maturity in most cases until 22 or 23...that's about how old you would be when yiou get out...if you go to college i'd bet the most exercise you'll be getting would be on your elbow, and the heaviest weight you'll be lifting would be the weight of a full beer...even with the best intentions...then...have you heard of boot strap? maybe you'd want to trade that mustang with wheels for one with wings...maybe instead of ems you want to be a doctor...the military needs doctors, nurses too...and if you're enlisted and in health care, they issue you a special pair of skates that most specialties don't get...i am not a recruiter...i just saw your request said 'seriously'...and this is just my opinion, seriously...the least you could get out of it is a buffed body and a disaplined mind...its a time away from everything you are used to, and just because things might be done different it doesn't mean it is wrong...and they even throw in leadership training...and when you get out you take with you what you want and leave the rest...good luck with whatever you decide...
Would you hire this person? Case closed.
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Keep in mind that just because you join the Air Force doesn't guarantee you a place in Para-rescuing or guarantee that you will become a parajumper. You will still have to start at the bottom as an airman, and work your way up, and then get chosen for the slot, IF there are any available. As a special operations organization, you have to be chosen by them to go through their training, and the dropout rate is between 60 and 90 percent for most special operations training programs.

I'm not trying to be a know-it-all, but when it comes to do with the military, I DO know what I'm talking about. I am by no means an expert on the Air Force, but I do know the process of training and the selection phase of special forces operations.
In the airforce you dont have to work your way up for pararescue, i have talked to the recruiter and the requirement is as i listed, if you cant pass that then you cant enlist in it. Im not saying that you dont know what your talking about but the recruiter specifficaly said that all i have to be is in good physical shape(pass the test) to be accepted, and then i will go into boot camp and all that fun **** and that will decide whether they make me or break me. He also said that there would be no wait for pararescue, he said because the physical requirements that it is actually one of the harder jobs for them to fill. Not to mention i have done my fair share of research to see if what the recuiter has told me is true, i have spent probably 5 hours of my time researching the fine details about this program.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
In the airforce you dont have to work your way up for pararescue, i have talked to the recruiter and the requirement is as i listed, if you cant pass that then you cant enlist in it. Im not saying that you dont know what your talking about but the recruiter specifficaly said that all i have to be is in good physical shape(pass the test) to be accepted, and then i will go into boot camp and all that fun **** and that will decide whether they make me or break me. He also said that there would be no wait for pararescue, he said because the physical requirements that it is actually one of the harder jobs for them to fill. Not to mention i have done my fair share of research to see if what the recuiter has told me is true, i have spent probably 5 hours of my time researching the fine details about this program.
they say that to get you in but you still have to start from the bottom just like everyone else.

Modified 2004 V6

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar