Anyone here golf? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-18-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
Anyone here golf?

So the PGA open (or whatever it's called) was a half a mile from my workplace and about 5 from my house (Oakmont). Since it is near my hometown I watched golf a decent amount this weekend. You know what? I dunno if its cuz im getting old, but I enjoyed watching it. I even got an urge to PLAY it.

So my question to you is anyone here play golf? I'm interested in getting started. I know how to play and keep score, but I don't know what clubs to get as a beginner (I could spend probably 200-500 on a set), how to start out (play? take lessons? driving range?), etc. Any tips on what to do or what to buy, let me know!

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Re: Anyone here golf?

First off, it's the US Open. Second, I do play. As far as answering your other questions I'm not sure exactly what to say but here's a go at it. I would look for a set of used clubs to start with. There's no use spending a ton of money on clubs, especially if you're not sure if you are going to like it. I've been playing since about age 12 and I still use the old clubs my Dad's co-worker gave me when he bought a new set. (He gave to me when I was around 16.) I'm probably going to invest in a new set soon, but they have done me well. I learned how to play from my Dad. I would say find someone who plays (preferably someone who is half-decent) and go to the driving range with them a few time to begin with. Don't start with a driver on the range either. It is harder to hit long clubs so start with a wedge or 9 iron. Then after a few time at the range go to a course with them. I think the best way to learn is to play. I started out on executive courses (they are shorter, mostly par 3's and 4's) because it is generally easier to hit shorter clubs. Hope this helps some.

-Denver
2002 Mineral Grey GT, 5-speed: MGW short throw, JLT CAI: SOLD
2002 Electric Green V6, Auto: SOLD
greenpony02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah, that helps a lot.. thanks! basically i was wondering what i should do before i step foot on a course.

ive been to driving ranges before, but it was basically "how far can i hit the ball?" and wasnt practicing my swing or anything. also, ive been to a par 3 before (when i was around 10ish) where they give you some type of iron and a putter. however, i was young and they shut the place down years ago. i have a few buddies up at college that play and are half decent. i plan on goin out with them a few times in the fall. i just wanted some tips and whatnot to prepare myself before playing (so i dont make a complete fool of myself haha).

also, is there a certain name brand to look for or avoid when getting used clubs or will anything do? the only namebrand i know for golfclubs is callahan, but i believe they are a bit on the pricey side. i wanted to get a nice starter set used or new (some irons, putter, driver), but i dont know which ones to get specifically (like you said, you got a set.. but i dont know what a good set consists of haha).

i realize getting new clubs (especially namebrand) is pretty pointless at first cuz i wont realize the difference. however, just like a guitar or any instrument, are there specific namebrands or sets specifically geared towards beginners?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well it's Callaway and yes they are pricey. I really don't think there are any brands geared toward beginners. There may be certain sets from different manufacturers geared toward beginners (I'm not sure though) but I don't think there are any specific brands. To be honest I couldn't even tell you what brand my clubs are without looking. I do know my driver is TaylorMade but I bought that separately.

-Denver
Old 06-18-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

lol... one day im going to start a brand name called callahan and brag about how awesome they are in the PGA open.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I like to golf but I don't take it seriously at all. I would like to get myself a set of clubs, but just a basic starter set for like $250-$300...just enough so I don't have to rent them when I go. I would rather drop the big bucks into bowling equipment where I can actually make some money from it.

But, none the less, that is where I am going when I get around to buying a set. A nice cheap starter set will do me just fine.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

as far as "starting out clubs", i would suggest that you have in your bag the 3, 7, and 9 irons, a pitching wedge (PW), a driver and a fairway wood (a 5 wood probably will do), and of course a putter...these are they clubs you will use more than all others for the most part. the driver is optional for a beginner because you really need to be good before you start openning up that can of worms...heck, tiger woods is probably the best golfer ever and he hardly ever uses a driver...he doesn't even carry one half the time he plays...

as far as what kind to get, i would suggest going with some steel shafted irons as they will generally be cheaper than graphite shafts and i will probably be guessing that you will break a few shafts when starting out...I know I snapped a shaft completely in two on a 7 iron when I started out playing at about 13...when the shaft broke, the club head went further than the ball lol..

The best way to improve your golf game is to play regularly, i.e. everyday...a good place to start would be out on a miniature golf course in order to build up your putting...the worst part of most golfers' games is their putting, or lack there of...then move on to your short game, as this will probably be where you make or break a round of golf...if you have a good short game (i.e. 7, 9 and PW) you can almost always shoot a decent score, regardless of how bad you are with your woods and putter...and then try to takle the longer irons and eventually move to learning how to use your driver...

if you ever get to that level, the only way to really get a set of clubs is to have them custom made for you...in other words, choose the brand of heads you want, then have them custom measured for shaft length and choose your particulr grips...there are quite a few different styles of grips out there...I am 6'7" so my club shafts are huge, so buying a set of clubs from any generic retailer won't cut it...but like i said, don't start looking into custom made clubs until you learn the game and get to a point when you are playing everyday and shooting pretty good scores...

any questions? lol oh and above all else, golf is a FRUSTRATING game, so don't let it get you down if you start our poorly, you will get better in time, the first time I ever played 18 holes, I shot a 133 I believe...I was 14 at the time lol...I generally shoot in the low 80's now a days, not too bad really, but im by no means a pro lol...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT View Post
as far as "starting out clubs", i would suggest that you have in your bag the 3, 7, and 9 irons, a pitching wedge (PW), a driver and a fairway wood (a 5 wood probably will do), and of course a putter...these are they clubs you will use more than all others for the most part. the driver is optional for a beginner because you really need to be good before you start openning up that can of worms...heck, tiger woods is probably the best golfer ever and he hardly ever uses a driver...he doesn't even carry one half the time he plays...
I would swap a 5 iron for the 3 iron. I use my 5 iron all the time but I can't hit a 3 iron for the life of me But I agree, if you are not going to get a full set then you should at least have odd numbered irons.

-Denver
Old 06-18-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

thanks... very helpful info.

do you think i should get a used set containing a 3, 7, 9, etc and then buy a nice putter from dicks or something? or is online shopping better because retail stores are overpriced?

and how would i get a used set of clubs? garage sale? ebay? haha... i think shipping on golf clubs would be pretty expensive.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

I know a few people who have got their first set off clubs for a very good price at a garage sale. You could also check out craigslist for Pittsburgh. I looked real quick nothing jumped out at me but like I said I didn't look that close. Plus I'm not sure how close you are to Robinson Town Centre, but I think there are at least two golf stores (Golf Galaxy and I'm pretty sure there's another one) there.

-Denver

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar