"Today you.... tomorrow me." - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
Regular

Region: Tennessee
"Today you.... tomorrow me."

Just about every time I see someone I stop. I kind of got out of the habit in the last couple of years, moved to a big city and all that, my girlfriend wasn't too stoked on the practice. Then some **** happened to me that changed me and I am back to offering rides habitually. If you would indulge me, it is long story and has almost nothing to do with hitch hiking other than happening on a road.

This past year I have had 3 instances of car trouble. A blow out on a freeway, a bunch of blown fuses and an out of gas situation. All of them were while driving other people's cars which, for some reason, makes it worse on an emotional level. It makes it worse on a practical level as well, what with the fact that I carry things like a jack and extra fuses in my car, and know enough not to park, facing downhill, on a steep incline with less than a gallon of fuel.

Anyway, each of these times this **** happened I was DISGUSTED with how people would not bother to help me. I spent hours on the side of the freeway waiting, watching roadside assistance vehicles blow past me, for AAA to show. The 4 gas stations I asked for a gas can at told me that they couldn't loan them out "for my safety" but I could buy a really ****ty 1-gallon one with no cap for $15. It was enough, each time, to make you say **** like "this country is going to hell in a handbasket."

But you know who came to my rescue all three times? Immigrants. Mexican immigrants. None of them spoke a lick of the language. But one of those dudes had a profound affect on me.

He was the guy that stopped to help me with a blow out with his whole family of 6 in tow. I was on the side of the road for close to 4 hours. Big jeep, blown rear tire, had a spare but no jack. I had signs in the windows of the car, big signs that said NEED A JACK and offered money. No dice. Right as I am about to give up and just hitch out there a van pulls over and dude bounds out. He sizes the situation up and calls for his youngest daughter who speaks english. He conveys through her that he has a jack but it is too small for the Jeep so we will need to brace it. He produces a saw from the van and cuts a log out of a downed tree on the side of the road. We rolled it over, put his jack on top, and bam, in business. I start taking the wheel off and, if you can believe it, I broke his tire iron. It was one of those collapsible ones and I wasn't careful and I snapped the head I needed clean off. ****.

No worries, he runs to the van, gives it to his wife and she is gone in a flash, down the road to buy a tire iron. She is back in 15 minutes, we finish the job with a little sweat and cussing (stupid log was starting to give), and I am a very happy man. We are both filthy and sweaty. The wife produces a large water jug for us to wash our hands in. I tried to put a 20 in the man's hand but he wouldn't take it so I instead gave it to his wife as quietly as I could. I thanked them up one side and down the other. I asked the little girl where they lived, thinking maybe I could send them a gift for being so awesome. She says they live in Mexico. They are here so mommy and daddy can pick peaches for the next few weeks. After that they are going to pick cherries then go back home. She asks if I have had lunch and when I told her no she gave me a tamale from their cooler, the best ****ing tamale I have ever had.

So, to clarify, a family that is undoubtedly poorer than you, me, and just about everyone else on that stretch of road, working on a seasonal basis where time is money, took an hour or two out of their day to help some strange dude on the side of the road when people in tow trucks were just passing me by. Wow...

But we aren't done yet. I thank them again and walk back to my car and open the foil on the tamale cause I am starving at this point and what do I find inside? My ****ing $20 bill! I whirl around and run up to the van and the guy rolls his window down. He sees the $20 in my hand and just shaking his head no like he won't take it. All I can think to say is "Por Favor, Por Favor, Por Favor" with my hands out. Dude just smiles, shakes his head and, with what looked like great concentration, tried his hardest to speak to me in English:

Rolled up his window, drove away, his daughter waving to me in the rear view. I sat in my car eating the best ****ing tamale of all time and I just cried. Like a little girl. It has been a rough year and nothing has broke my way. This was so out of left field I just couldn't deal.

In the 5 months since I have changed a couple of tires, given a few rides to gas stations and, once, went 50 miles out of my way to get a girl to an airport. I won't accept money. Every time I tell them the same thing when we are through:

Source: rhoner comments on Have you ever picked up a hitch-hiker?

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
Regular

Re: "Today you.... tomorrow me."

I was reading reddit and saw that and had to share. If you aren't a reader of Reddit, you should be. It is an amazing site.

Reddit
Old 12-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

very true, there needs to be more people like this. I just have it in the back of my mind that some of them are just scamming (low lifes that pray on the good will of people to take advantage of someone)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

I've picked up a few hitchhickers in my life. I've always left the situation with a great sense of pride afterwards. They were always very appreciative. I've even worked with an Illegal (i think) for a few months. He was honestly the most caring, helpful, and sincere person I have ever known. I could count on him for anything. I am against Illegals but I have no problem with who they are. (Of course, they aren't all the same either good & bad)
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

thanks for posting that,it is an awesome story.We should all be like that guy
Old 12-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

wow thats a pretty amazing story...i think more people should read this
Old 12-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
A.K.A. Baby-D!

wow what a great story. if only the world had more people like this. and if only we didn't have to be scared to help someone because we might get shot, raped, etc.
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
That is an awesome story! We do need more people like that in this world. Nobody stops anymore. I had two instances in the past two weeks. Blown tire and outta gas. I had to wait for friends and family each time.

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Well, we had one guy pick us up after the truck ran out of gas (the gauge was messed up and we didn't know) on the interstate a little over a year ago. The man had a Geo Storm with no back seat and a cracked windshield. He drove us to the next exit and then his car wouldn't start. Kelly fixed his car with what we had and it was enough for him to get it to the mechanic. It's so true, if he didn't pick us up then he himself would have been stranded.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #10
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

I usually don't stop because bad things have happened here. What I do instead is call *dot and send a State Farm hero unit their way. Which is even better since they are fully equipped with gas, water, a full size jack and a full set of tools to name a few things. They also have huge signs on the back of 'em showing traffic to move over.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:00 AM   #11
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Story is fake. Obviously some hippie liberal propaganda bull****.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:42 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8r View Post
It doesn't matter if its fake or not, its about being a good person and helping others. "What goes around comes around"

I once stopped to help a guy and his family and spent 4-5 hours helping, took his wife to work for her, drove him to the parts house to buy parts and even helped him change the part on his suv, even offered to give him gas money because he didn't have allot of money and spent most of it on the part. When all was said and done he offered me money and even me going home with him to feed me and all I said is make sure you help someone else out that needs it.

And I wasn't trying to brag or anything just wish more people where like that, and just remember when you get caught out and break down and no one helps you.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
very true, there needs to be more people like this. I just have it in the back of my mind that some of them are just scamming (low lifes that pray on the good will of people to take advantage of someone)
Same here! I would like to help someone in need when I see them on the side of the road, but it's like SpectorV said, it's those few that pray on the good that have ruined the good of humanity for us all.
Wolfsbain76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Yup, the few bad ones ruin it for everyone
Old 12-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

I agree. There are some bad apples out there that have ruined it. Everyone is wary,

Old 12-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #16
A.K.A. Baby-D!

i can say that as a female, there is NO WAY i'm picking up a stranger. its so sad that we have to be scared to help others...
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

someone used that same slogan on me to buy them a beer, never saw them again.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
That story was awsome... its great when you hear people actually still have hearts. I have helped people on the side of the road as well but I will never let my guard down, there's still crazy people out there.
KMP90GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:02 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to Loraco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
I was reading reddit and saw that and had to share. If you aren't a reader of Reddit, you should be. It is an amazing site.
I love this if you don't mind I might barrow it and post it on my facebook
Old 12-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I look forward to your post.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #21
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
I look forward to your post.
I might have been influenced by a certain beverage when I wrote that.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I might have been influenced by a certain beverage when I wrote that.
It seems like it may be Spot-On though.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #23
Regular

LOL yea, all stories about being a decent human being are hippie liberal propaganda

Reddit
Old 12-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack
This is a heartwarming story that brings truth to any person who has ever been on the side of the road.

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
LOL yea, all stories about being a decent human being are hippie liberal propaganda
Yes, becuase there are no decent human beings therefore it's definettely propaganda. This just happens to be hippie peace liberal theoried propaganda

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar