Post your cell phone family tree. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Post your cell phone family tree.

Got this idea from another forum...thought it would be fun.

Basically, start with your first cell phone and post each one you've had. Pictures if you can find it. Fun stories on how they got destroyed, etc.

Started out with an in-car mounted phone. 10 minutes a month...hells yeh.
(similar to this)
Nokia 5165

Other Nokia model (can't remember)
Nokia 6610

Motorola SLVR

Current. Motorola Evoke.

It does the most I've ever had on a phone...makes phone calls and sends text messages. I'm not into the whole internet on the phone thing.

I've also been with the same phone carrier since the in-car phone I had when I started driving.

Current work phone:
Samsung Rugby

Tough *** little phone. Went through a complete wash cycle in the washing machine. Left it in pants pocket. Sucker still works like a charm.
I've probably been through 6 or so work phones in the last 3 years, my job isn't nice to electrical equipment and the previous job wasn't any better.

Previous work phones:
Motorola W380

Motorola W315

Samsung A137
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Re: Post your cell phone family tree.

First pic is one of my old phones, Cingular, that I got pissed at and peeled out on!
Second one is my current phone, Samsung Intercept!
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina

I've had two
Samsung Alias

Lg CHocolate Touch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Ha...I had that Motorola monster flip. Then a nextel. Then a rocker then my beloved iPhone. I will never have anything but an iPhone ever again. Beauty toy
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Can't remember what my first cell phone was. I remember it was analog and huge and I think my plan included 20 minutes of talk time per month. Needless to say, I didn't use it much. What I remember most about it was the call quality. It sounded like I was talking on a wired house phone.

My second phone was a StarTac. I think everyone in my family had one at one point or another. My father just got rid of his 4 months ago.

It was probably the most reliable phone ever made. It was also very compact and comfortable. I had that for about 7 years before I traded it for a Palm Treo 650:

The 650 had nice apps for an early smart-phone. What it excelled in was personal information management. It had the best calender functionality of any phone I've owned. I had that for just over 2 years before it fell of my belt and got run over by a car in a parking lot.

Since I had so many accessories for the 650, my replacement phone was a Treo 700P that was little more than a minor upgrade to the 650:

All my comments for the 650 apply to the 700P as well.

When my contract was satisfied, I started looking for a more modern smart-phone. I wanted an iPhone but I wasn't willing to go to AT&T to get it. After much hemming and hawing, I finally went to the Palm Pre Plus:

The WebOS operating system is fantastic. I love the way it multitasks and it is very easy to use. It's app catalog is very good too as is it's Synergy feature that integrates information from various sources (Facebook, Gmail, Exchange, etc). I do have two issues with it though. First, the calendar isn't nearly as flexible as the Treo's. Second, and more importantly, the hardware is cheaply made. I'm on my second Pre (lost my 1st one) and they both have had issues with the keyboard skipping letters or doubling letters. There are also a lot of complaints on the Pre-Central message boards about audio jack failures, the sliding halves getting lose and rotating slightly and cracking in the body. I haven't experienced these other issues though.

I'm a little torn about my next phone. I love the physical keyboard on the Pre and it's size but I think the apps on the iPhone work slightly better and there are just more things you can do with it. I have an iPod Touch 4 and I use it often. I hate the on screen keyboard. Multitasking also stinks. As media players, the Pre is, at best, adequate but the iPhone/iPod is, as expected, fantastic. I still have 8 months on my Pre contract so I can wait a little. I'm curious to see what HP will do with the next Palm phones. Should be interesting...

2010 Mustang GT Premium - Silver
2002 Escape XLT - Dk Highland Green
RobtRoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to 02Nate281 Send a message via MSN to 02Nate281 Send a message via Yahoo to 02Nate281 Send a message via Skype™ to 02Nate281

My first ever phone. Prepaid Motorola V171 from Net10 Wireless. What a piece of **** lol

My first ever contract phone from Alltel. The LG AX490. This phone was bad *** in every aspect except for the lack of video. It was the special edition Ryan Newman phone with the fast-tap keypad.

The next one was a gift from my girlfriend's mother at the time. The famous LG Chocolate from Verizon I beat that phone to pieces.

Possibly my favorite phone I've had was the LG Rhythm. Simple, compact, played music, and it could send/receive video. It also survived a tour in Iraq with me.

I had two of these. The first one **** on me after about 3 months. The LG Chocolate Touch from Alltel. On screen keyboards are the worst invention of the 21st century.. It was a pretty good phone other than that.

I've had this LG 420G flip for like 7 months now. It's a StraightTalk from Walmart. It's been pretty good to me. I still use it... that is, until the month is up.

My current phone. I've had it 3 days, and it's by far the coolest piece of technology I've put my hands on. The Motorola Flipside from AT&T. Android 2.1 OS, and more complicated than an Italian sports car. I love it! I would have gotten the LG Quantum, but the Flipside has a better slide-out keyboard.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:34 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

First:

Then a ruggedized Panasonic that I can't find a picture of.

Then a Razr.

And now I'm on my 4th iPhone.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla

I can't tell you how many I've had... but here's a few.

Had an iphone and now an iphone 4.

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Had this for two years. Only phone I never replaced even once in a two year span (NOT MY ACTUAL PHONE BUT VERY SIMILAR)
Samsung Blade (Sprint's Answer to the Razor) - This phone was the ****!
Samsung Rant (I still have this phone on an activated Line I do not use - it's over 4 years old probably)
Samsung Instinct (Still have this phone but dont use it - it was quick snappy and awesome)
HTC Diamond (POS - WinMo was terrible - I'll never ever get Windows Mobile OS b/c of this phone)
Sprint HTC Hero (Still have this with my buddy on my line... currently Rooted with Customer Savage Kernel.. this phone is pretty sick)
Palm Pre - Please go far far away. While this phone worked decent, I hated it.
Sprint HTC EVO 4G (No Phone compares---until the HTC Thunderbolt drop, this is a mini computer) This phone is strong, rigid, amazing. Android OS FTW (currently rooted with Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo RLS5 and SBC More HAVS Kernel) iPhone4s can't compare.

I have for years had iPhones, iPods/iTouches, and currently iPad in my family that I use constantly and can honestly say I will never own an iOS phone unless it was a business requirement or necessity (my employer) They are great phones, but I'm no fanboy and well, I like OS. As you can see I have been with Sprint since the beginning, and will more than likely never swap. With free roaming for phone and data, I never lose coverage thanks to Verizon's network. I also have the cheapest/best plan option of all the Big 3. Hopefully Sprint will have something interesting to share with us Feb. 7th at the MWC.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Cmon now, this is a thread pretty much everyone on this site can have some input into...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to Loraco
Oh boy that would take some time but I love my Droid 2 before that was a crapy black berry tour I hated it!! Once you go Droid you'll never go back!!
Old 01-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Ive had many cell phones i had a sony ericson that played music. Then an iphone 3g and 3gs now the iphone 4 and im waiting for the iphone 5 in july.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:02 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

Whoa! Great thread! Hrm let's see..

First phone:

This exactly. Horrible service, terrible phone, super slow at doing anything. Glad it's gone.

Second phone:

Motorola 120c. Doesn't this phone look stylish and hip! So cool! I can program my own ringtones! I had to use a series of numbers to program in the tones. Yeah, I was riding high!

Third phone:

Wow it actually flips! And it can play games?! Tetris?? Whoa! Also it was pretty slow.

Fourth phone:

The first phone I was proud to have! This was the only phone at the time that you could "hack" and put videos and ringtones into and really customize the hell out of. Loved this phone. So many good memories, including the color! It had a color screen on the front and back!! Cutting edge! Did I mention the ringtones that actually played were REAL songs? Not the horrible midi? Man good times.

Fifth phone:

This is the phone I have now. Yes, I know. This phone came out when the first iPhone came out. I remember it being such a big deal because this phone has a touch screen on it. The one thing I love about this phone is that it is just like my motorola in the way you'd get vid and ringtones. It's a sneaky way but you get the same results. But the one other big thing I love about it is the flip open to a HUGE keyboard. I'm 6'2 with hands like a bear, so texting is a breeze on this phone, and it's the main reason why I haven't switched to anything else. I need a full keyboard if I want to continue typing quick without smashing 3 buttons at once. I love this phone, but I think it's time to grow up and move on.

Next phoen to have within a month:

Thunderbolt! My first droid phone. I may be on the fence with getting this or the iPhone, but i'm more than sure I'll fall into getting the HTC Thunderbolt. It's big, and I'm going to just bite the bullet and try to get used to texting on the touch screen. Wow this was a blast down memory lane.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:33 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy
First pic is one of my old phones, Cingular, that I got pissed at and peeled out on!
Second one is my current phone, Samsung Intercept!
Hahahaha
Coxy1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:03 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxy1022 View Post
Hahahaha
I got so mad because I couldn't ever get signal. I seriously put that thing under the tire of my car and ripped the clutch on it! Smacked right into a curb too!
When I get mad I ususally break stuff.
I love the phone I have now though. Operates on the Android OS. It's through Virgin mobile and get this, for a whole whoppin $25 a month I get 300 minutes, and unlimited text and data, plus I tether it to my netbook and use the data from the phone to get online! Simply awesome!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:

I got so mad because I couldn't ever get signal. I seriously put that thing under the tire of my car and ripped the clutch on it! Smacked right into a curb too!
When I get mad I ususally break stuff.
I love the phone I have now though. Operates on the Android OS. It's through Virgin mobile and get this, for a whole whoppin $25 a month I get 300 minutes, and unlimited text and data, plus I tether it to my netbook and use the data from the phone to get online! Simply awesome!
Haha I actually laughed out loud! Funny **** man
Coxy1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Next phoen to have within a month:

Thunderbolt! My first droid phone. I may be on the fence with getting this or the iPhone, but i'm more than sure I'll fall into getting the HTC Thunderbolt. It's big, and I'm going to just bite the bullet and try to get used to texting on the touch screen. Wow this was a blast down memory lane.
Check out Androidforums.com --- Get the Thunderbolt. My EVO will soon be that thing's little brother and boy will I envy you. I'm sure Sprint has something interesting to announce at the MWC on Feb 7th.

Seriously, Android FTW. You'll never look back. iOS can't hang with the amount of customization and options. HTC has the best overlay (Sense UI) and they are quick with support and Software updates.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
Check out Androidforums.com --- Get the Thunderbolt. My EVO will soon be that thing's little brother and boy will I envy you. I'm sure Sprint has something interesting to announce at the MWC on Feb 7th.

Seriously, Android FTW. You'll never look back. iOS can't hang with the amount of customization and options. HTC has the best overlay (Sense UI) and they are quick with support and Software updates.
+1
Old 01-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post

Yeah I did my homework on phones for a while, so I know going with HTC is the best route.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:18 PM   #20
Road Trip!

I've had the iPhone 3GS and now I have my Droid, and I'll tell you this, I wouldn't trade the phone I have now for 5 iPhone 4's!
Go with the Android, you won't regret it!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Yea but the iphone 5 is already comin out. I love my iphone. The best phone i ever had.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:01 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesgt08 View Post
Yea but the iphone 5 is already comin out. I love my iphone. The best phone i ever had.
Have you had an Android? Night and day. The iPhone is nice, I can't disagree with that, but Droid is the sh**!
Old 01-31-2011, 11:04 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Ive had a droid but it wasnt my thing. I love my iphone.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Have you had an Android? Night and day. The iPhone is nice, I can't disagree with that, but Droid is the sh**!
I so agree with you I. Had a black berry before my droid and it sucked

Sent from my DROID2 using Mustang Evolution
Old 02-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesgt08 View Post
The iPhone5 and it's rumored hardware specs such as it's dual core 1.5ghz processor and others will be just the run of the mill phone by the time June comes out. It's been known for a while that 2011 would be the year of the Android as last year was the year of the Tablet and the year before that was the year of the Apple.

Get me, I'm not knocking the iPhone and it's great UI at all. Apple has done plenty with it's phone and hardware and makes an excellent product. It caters too soo many people. That's what I don't like about it... everyone has the samething. Then again, I've always been a fan of open source.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
Lol!!

Sent from my DROID2 using Mustang Evolution
Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

So tell me what is so awesome about the droid from the iphone from your personal experience. I don't really want to hear AT&T sucks because we all know that, and with Verizon getting the iPhone that'll change.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
So tell me what is so awesome about the droid from the iphone from your personal experience. I don't really want to hear AT&T sucks because we all know that, and with Verizon getting the iPhone that'll change.
Java > Objective C

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #30
Road Trip!

I just really don't like closed source software. I know you can jailbreak iPhones and all that, and that Droids can be rooted, but stock for stock, I like to be in a little more control of my hardware.
Just like my computer, I bought a brand spankin new eeepc netbook, and as soon as I got home, I installed Linux and overwrote Windows without even thinking about it.
I can do a lot more of the things I want and need to do with open source software, and yes I know there is no official customer service for it, but there is a lot of info out there. I have never had a problem that I couldn't solve without Google.
I don't want to throw this thread off topic and involve computers, but it's where these phones got their OS's.
Make your Windows screen look like this!
Open source rocks!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
Java > Objective C
Even beyond that, Android is so much more similar to using a PC than just a UI that makes everything simple and pretty. iOS works for plenty of people and will continue to appeal to the masses, there is nothing wrong with it, just not my cup of tea.

Quote:
Disagree. Your not going to see an increase in quality just becuase subscribers jump boat. AT&T has terrible quality Dropped calls/Not receiving calls They can claim 97% coverage but it's terrible. They need major network restructure and increase in quality. It's rumored that GSM will be phased out (let's face it, it's old technology) and from what I understand HPSA is not the future of cell phone companies either. AT&T can blame it on network overload but I call BS. Verizon is still the largest subscriber based provider and they don't face the issues AT&T blames on overload. Although, I can imagine we will see a decrease in Verizon customer service and cell quality in the next year as even more subscribers jump boat.

I'll stick with Sprint (10 years and running)
Old 02-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #32
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy View Post
I just really don't like closed source software. I know you can jailbreak iPhones and all that, and that Droids can be rooted, but stock for stock, I like to be in a little more control of my hardware.
Just like my computer, I bought a brand spankin new eeepc netbook, and as soon as I got home, I installed Linux and overwrote Windows without even thinking about it.
I can do a lot more of the things I want and need to do with open source software, and yes I know there is no official customer service for it, but there is a lot of info out there. I have never had a problem that I couldn't solve without Google.
I don't want to throw this thread off topic and involve computers, but it's where these phones got their OS's.
Make your Windows screen look like this!
Open source rocks!
I run uBuntu 10.10 on my netbook that came with Windows 7 Starter.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I run uBuntu 10.10 on my netbook that came with Windows 7 Starter.
Yup, tossed that Windows 7 Starter for Linux Mint 10 on mine!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I dual boot Kubuntu and Windows 7 on my laptop. Only reason for Windows 7 is I have to have it to do remote desktop to my PC at work.

Although maybe I could just run it in a VM...

PS > I'm sorely missing the "confused chin scratch" smiley...

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

+1 I really miss ole chin smiley
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet