Riddle me this, Riddle me that - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-31-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,318
Riddle me this, Riddle me that

Fun with physics - here goes:

Light isn't a speed per se - it looks like one - (approximately) 186,282 miles/second (aka - c - the speed of light).

That looks like speed - like 80 miles/hour.

But it's really a conversion factor. Just like 2.54 cm/inches changes your notation of length - 186,000 miles/second changes your notation from the 3 x, y, and z measures of a location in space to a location in time - or more specifically - spacetime.

At speeds close to the speed of light, time changes compared to what you'd consider normal. We've all seen the hard-to-understand, but ever-popular, thing on the science channel where you hop in a spaceship and go near c in speed back and forth to some star - a few years pass for you while on Earth, your friends die off, and you come home to your grandchildren.

Because you've left the more-space-kinda-spacetime and gotten closer to the more-time-kinda-spacetime.

What about at the speed of light?

Because the speed of light is a conversion factor - at the speed of light, there is no time with respect to space.

We say that Proxima Centauri is about 4.3 light years away - light takes some 4 years to reach us from there.

For the photons that hit us from Proxima Centauri - or any star or galaxy - no time has passed at all. For us, some 4 years passed - for the photons, no time has passed.

At the speed of light, there is no distance in time - only distance in space. Time is instantaneous everywhere.

So the first reason that you can't go faster than the speed of light is because you can't go slower than the speed of light. You're going to go at that speed through spacetime, because it's a conversion factor.

This is why for all speeds below c, no matter how much or howlittle below c, the speed of light will always measure at about 186,282 miles / second. Just like 2.54 cm/inch is always true no matter how fast you go.

Why can't you travel at the speed of light?

When things move, they have momentum - move faster, more momentum - swing a hammer and you know it's true.

So - news flash - E=mc^2 is not true - it's a popular fiction and a simplification.

The real equation is E=mc^2/square_root(1 - v^2/c^2) where v is your speed - this accounts for that pesky momentum thingy while also calculating equivalent energy (E) of anything with mass (m). If you move at the speed of light, then v^2/c^2 becomes c^2/c^2 - which is one - and square_root(1-1) is square_root(0) which does not compute.

So nothing with mass can travel at the speed of light.

Photons can, because they have no mass.

But - there's the solar wind and sci-fi books say you can build a solar sail and cruise in space that way. How so if photons have no mass? Because they still have momentum. Another rule they get to break, just like they break the time-standing-still rule.

So, if your car were traveling at the speed of light - how much time would pass to see what's ahead?

No time whatsoever - you're already simultaneously there while traveling there.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-31-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
MC770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,761
Re: Riddle me this, Riddle me that

Ouch, My brain just got F***d
__________________
~2003 Zinc Yellow Terminator Cobra~
~482 RWHP / 487 LBS Torque~
MC770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jamesgt08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,361
What the heck? Are we in math class? I didnt understand none of that. Lol
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arizona
Posts: 476
Holy sh*t I can't believe I kept reading all that, now I'm just confused with the day...
Ducatisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jamesgt08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,361
I trie reading it all but i couldnt lol
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 839
Re: Riddle me this, Riddle me that

You know I kind of understand what your talking about and thats a really good point. But I do believe you have to much "time" on your hands and need to get out more.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Other
Posts: 2,268
Re: Riddle me this, Riddle me that

You made a time machine.....Out of a DeLorean?
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 839
Re: Riddle me this, Riddle me that

If by some freak accident that we acheive even close to the "speed" of light I'm sure it's going to be way way farther in the future and we will only be dust in the wind.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
MC770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,761
Re: Riddle me this, Riddle me that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy View Post
You made a time machine.....Out of a DeLorean?
__________________
~2003 Zinc Yellow Terminator Cobra~
~482 RWHP / 487 LBS Torque~
MC770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
mjb09gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 104
Re: Riddle me this, Riddle me that

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
Fun with physics - here goes:

Light isn't a speed per se - it looks like one - (approximately) 186,282 miles/second (aka - c - the speed of light).

That looks like speed - like 80 miles/hour.

But it's really a conversion factor. Just like 2.54 cm/inches changes your notation of length - 186,000 miles/second changes your notation from the 3 x, y, and z measures of a location in space to a location in time - or more specifically - spacetime.

At speeds close to the speed of light, time changes compared to what you'd consider normal. We've all seen the hard-to-understand, but ever-popular, thing on the science channel where you hop in a spaceship and go near c in speed back and forth to some star - a few years pass for you while on Earth, your friends die off, and you come home to your grandchildren.

Because you've left the more-space-kinda-spacetime and gotten closer to the more-time-kinda-spacetime.

What about at the speed of light?

Because the speed of light is a conversion factor - at the speed of light, there is no time with respect to space.

We say that Proxima Centauri is about 4.3 light years away - light takes some 4 years to reach us from there.

For the photons that hit us from Proxima Centauri - or any star or galaxy - no time has passed at all. For us, some 4 years passed - for the photons, no time has passed.

At the speed of light, there is no distance in time - only distance in space. Time is instantaneous everywhere.

So the first reason that you can't go faster than the speed of light is because you can't go slower than the speed of light. You're going to go at that speed through spacetime, because it's a conversion factor.

This is why for all speeds below c, no matter how much or howlittle below c, the speed of light will always measure at about 186,282 miles / second. Just like 2.54 cm/inch is always true no matter how fast you go.

Why can't you travel at the speed of light?

When things move, they have momentum - move faster, more momentum - swing a hammer and you know it's true.

So - news flash - E=mc^2 is not true - it's a popular fiction and a simplification.

The real equation is E=mc^2/square_root(1 - v^2/c^2) where v is your speed - this accounts for that pesky momentum thingy while also calculating equivalent energy (E) of anything with mass (m). If you move at the speed of light, then v^2/c^2 becomes c^2/c^2 - which is one - and square_root(1-1) is square_root(0) which does not compute.

So nothing with mass can travel at the speed of light.

Photons can, because they have no mass.

But - there's the solar wind and sci-fi books say you can build a solar sail and cruise in space that way. How so if photons have no mass? Because they still have momentum. Another rule they get to break, just like they break the time-standing-still rule.

So, if your car were traveling at the speed of light - how much time would pass to see what's ahead?

No time whatsoever - you're already simultaneously there while traveling there.
And if we fill a mustang full of cats and then bombard the mustang with radiation would there not be a moment in time where the individual cats are simultaneously dead and alive? Don't know but I'm sure it would smell.
mjb09gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #11
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arizona
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb09gt

And if we fill a mustang full of cats and then bombard the mustang with radiation would there not be a moment in time where the individual cats are simultaneously dead and alive? Don't know but I'm sure it would smell.
Don't do it to a stang, put the cats in a honda
Ducatisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
mjb09gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 104
Re: Riddle me this, Riddle me that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatisport View Post
Don't do it to a stang, put the cats in a honda
LOL and every dead cat adds 10psi of boost!
mjb09gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arizona
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb09gt

LOL and every dead cat adds 10psi of boost!
Absolutely! And used in the tank it's a octane booster for the little hatch... But if you put a leash on then and strap them to the front of the car you only need 5 to pull the Honda across the line faster than you buddies civic.!!!
Ducatisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Other
Posts: 2,268
Re: Riddle me this, Riddle me that

93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
mjb09gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 104
Re: Riddle me this, Riddle me that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatisport View Post
Absolutely! And used in the tank it's a octane booster for the little hatch... But if you put a leash on then and strap them to the front of the car you only need 5 to pull the Honda across the line faster than you buddies civic.!!!
LOL NOS CATS! They all have to have little spoilers on them though. Boy it took all of 5 mins to turn the smartest post ever into one of the dumbest
mjb09gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arizona
Posts: 476
Haha were just amazing! And with the spoiler give them NO Explode from gnc for energy boost.
Ducatisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
Lalayla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,066
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Re: Riddle me this, Riddle me that

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb09gt View Post
LOL NOS CATS! They all have to have little spoilers on them though. Boy it took all of 5 mins to turn the smartest post ever into one of the dumbest
I quickly read this and thought of cats running around with spoilers.
__________________

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
mjb09gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 104
Re: Riddle me this, Riddle me that

lol go us. gotta mix the gnc with red bull instead of water though. how far do you think we could make it down the road before PETA swoops in riding tofu eating lions to stop us?
mjb09gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,318
Re: Riddle me this, Riddle me that

WTF! And you guys claim my post gave you a mind****.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
Lalayla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,066
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Re: Riddle me this, Riddle me that

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb09gt View Post
lol go us. gotta mix the gnc with red bull instead of water though. how far do you think we could make it down the road before PETA swoops in riding tofu eating lions to stop us?
The lions wanted raspberries
__________________

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
mjb09gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 104
Re: Riddle me this, Riddle me that

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
WTF! And you guys claim my post gave you a mind****.
lol sorry dude I'll stop now
mjb09gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:54 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,318
Re: Riddle me this, Riddle me that

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb09gt View Post
lol sorry dude I'll stop now
lolz. Dude it's free game. I'm just laughing at all the tofu eating lions.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:56 PM   #23
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arizona
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb09gt
lol go us. gotta mix the gnc with red bull instead of water though. how far do you think we could make it down the road before PETA swoops in riding tofu eating lions to stop us?
Oh ya! Well since it's a honda my calculations are reading 80 front wheel cat power mines 30 wind resistance plus 10 for the red bull wings minus 100 for the dumb*** behind the wheel so I'm seeing us going backwards about 40 feet or whatever increment I was using to calculate lol

Hold on real quick! Cats with spoilers, wings, tied to the front of a Honda drinking N.O. Xplode and redbull! Hahaha rofl
Ducatisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #24
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arizona
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb09gt

lol sorry dude I'll stop now
Haha ya I'm done now, time to breath, good game mjb... Good game
Ducatisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
MC770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,761
Re: Riddle me this, Riddle me that

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb09gt View Post
How far do you think we could make it down the road before PETA swoops in riding tofu eating lions to stop us?
OMFG that sh** is hilarious
__________________
~2003 Zinc Yellow Terminator Cobra~
~482 RWHP / 487 LBS Torque~
MC770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pete08GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Virginia
Posts: 162
Lol...all this talk about fast pu.....on second thought...never mind...
Pete08GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:59 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: California
Region: California
Posts: 908
Re: Riddle me this, Riddle me that

this requires actual testing. I am a big believer of speeds faster than the speed of light.
__________________
-Patrick
http://home.socal.rr.com/sephiros/images/NewBan.jpg

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,318
Re: Riddle me this, Riddle me that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
this requires actual testing. I am a big believer of speeds faster than the speed of light.
Yea, it's widely beleived that Photons travel at speeds beyond or even to the speed of light, but they are without mass.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
mjb09gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 104
Yeah I don't think anything with mass could ever reach light speed. Maybe near light but it would have to be a very dense. I don't think we could ever ride along. Our only hope is that there's something to wormhole physics. But that's not without its problems as well. All imo.
mjb09gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Loraco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Arizona
Posts: 548
Send a message via Yahoo to Loraco
Lol!!
__________________
APRILS MOTM to drive is the reason the destination is just the excuse.
Loraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RIDDLE ME THIS Zebs5408 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 9 05-30-2010 07:18 PM
RIDDLE ME THIS?????? Zebs5408 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 4 12-13-2009 03:20 AM
Another Riddle Ken The Bar 19 08-10-2005 05:52 PM
Riddle 98VroomVroom The Bar 14 07-31-2003 10:04 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



04:41 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.