My Lubro-Moly Experiment - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
My Lubro-Moly Experiment

Alright so I have been reading quite a bit about lubro-moly and it's effects in an engine. Apparently it plates the internal parts so you never get metal on metal contact. The test vehicle is a 1999 chev silverado 4x4 5.3 liter engine. This truck has 250k. I usually get 500 kms per tank which equates to 300 miles per tank. It has been said that moly takes about 300 miles before any gas savings and friction reducing occurs as it takes that long to plate the internal engine components. I am testing this on my truck simply because my mustang isn't a test subject. I will keep this thread updated as to any effects. I will be adding the recommended 1 can per oil fill. If this stuff does what the bitog members say it does I should see a 10-25% increase in mileage and no internal wear. I am sceptical. I will be using amsoil 0w30 as oil like I have since I bought the truck. Testing starts in the morning. Lubro-moly can be found at napa auto parts. Ford has adopted moly to lubricate bushings in suspension and it is the reason ford can go so long between service intervals. The entire automotive industry has been quick to adopt moly as a friction eliminator and Toyota factory oil has a big shot in it as does royal purple and red line. Keep my fellow mustangers informed
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: my lubro-moly experiment

Nice looking forward to seeing what you find

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
Road Trip!

I drive this truck the same everyday. The same route. Same time of day with traffic and so on so I am going to keep it as consistent as possible. I get gas at the same place too. I don't want to skew the results cause if this stuff lives up to the hype it should double the useable life of an engine when used as soon as the break in oil is removed. And it has no zddp which clogs 02 sensors pretty quick. Boron is apparently really good too. I have been doing alot of reseach on lubricants since signing up with amsoil and I look up every fluid now before it goes into the vehicles. Oil isn't just oil anymore. I leaned mobil 1 isn't even a real synthetic and the only reason gm specifies it on their vehicles is the 15 million bucks that they pay gm to put that stamp on. Mobil 1 synthetic is actually a really refined group 3 Dino oil. Red line,amsoil and royal purple are the only "commercially available" true sythetics but Joe Gibbs is the real deal and a couple more that I can't think of off the top of my head. But they cam only be found in speed shops or specialty stores. And 16 bucks quart ouch. Anyways.I am gonna try this stuff out for 20k and see if it's goin into the mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Road Trip!

K so I have run thru 1 tank so far and my mileage went from 470 kms to 540 kms. The truck is also running smoother and seems to rev a bit quicker. I will update this thread as I fill each tank. I will also add that it idles for 20 minutes each morning to warm engine and get oil to temp which should be costing me mileage but hasn't. I drive the same route every day and set my cruise to drive just so this experiment can be fairly consistent without my foot being an issue. I will update next tankful. My tank holds 100 liters of fuel

Built 2 Last
Old 03-07-2011, 05:23 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Alright so another 100 liter fill up and 560 kms on this tank. And it idled more than usual due to cold and strong headwinds. I will keep you guys informed but is certainly seem to be working. It paid for itself on the 1st tank. And you guys stateside only pay 5 bucks a bottle

Built 2 Last TTT
Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
Road Trip!

So I filled up today. The truck went 568 kms on 85 liters of fuel. So it looks as tho my mileage improvements have leveled off. I will be buying the motor protect next from the same manufacturer. It claims that the microscopic film it creates is good for 30k miles. Lubro-moly seems to live up to it's claims in an industry full of snake oil. I am going to go 3 more fill ups then quit reporting on this thread. It seems to do what it said it does. I am satisfied

Built 2 Last TTT
Old 03-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
Road Trip!

K 582 kms and put 92 liters of fuel. I got roughly 1km per liter better mileage which may not seem like much but it multiplies really quick. I am done posting in this thread. The stuff works. If a mod wants to archive this thread have at er.

Built 2 Last TTT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar