Fathers: to be proud, or be disappointed? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Hampshire
Fathers: to be proud, or be disappointed?

My wife likes to have cash on hand, and has her "hiding places' for the money.. Well with her broken leg and such, I had to get her cash for a trip to Vermont. I brought all the cash from 'that' hiding spot, and she put it in her purse.. maybe $120..

She goes to Vt with her parents, comes home after spending like $8.. the rest of the money is in her purse

My 9yr old son approaches her today to swap a silver dollar for a paper dollar and she sends him to her purse to just swap it..

Now, we always have money laying around, and the kids have never touched it..

But today, my boy 'finds' a $20 bill in an old wallet... wow.. they keep track of their money so well, that forgetting a $20 is surprising.. he's 9.. at that age, they don't forget how much money they have..

THEN, he "finds" another $20 stuck in the 'wall' behind his chair..

before I learned he found another $20, I had to pick the dog up from the groomer.. knowing my wife had cash in her purse, I was just going to grab some to pay the groomer, but she only had $20 in there... so I figured she hid the rest somewhere else..

So me and the wife are chatting and determine that money is missing from her purse, and I relay what i know from the boy finding $40 today in his room.. and how do we handle that?

So we decide the motherly angle is better today, so she confronts him, and within 2 minutes, he confesses...

Now we've lived by the rule around here that doing bad gets you in trouble, but LYING gets you in trouble x10.. After catching them in a lie, we always discipline then severely..

So the boy admitted it, I'm proud he manned up at 9yrs old. Imagine being 9, and knowing how loosy goosey we are with money around here, and he can grab a few twenties and nobody would be the wiser... the temptation was too much for the kid..

To be consistent with our policy, he get's a small extra chore for stealing, but nothing more because he fessed up..

what would you do?
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
My wife likes to have cash on hand, and has her "hiding places' for the money.. Well with her broken leg and such, I had to get her cash for a trip to Vermont. I brought all the cash from 'that' hiding spot, and she put it in her purse.. maybe $120..

She goes to Vt with her parents, comes home after spending like $8.. the rest of the money is in her purse

My 9yr old son approaches her today to swap a silver dollar for a paper dollar and she sends him to her purse to just swap it..

Now, we always have money laying around, and the kids have never touched it..

But today, my boy 'finds' a $20 bill in an old wallet... wow.. they keep track of their money so well, that forgetting a $20 is surprising.. he's 9.. at that age, they don't forget how much money they have..

THEN, he "finds" another $20 stuck in the 'wall' behind his chair..

before I learned he found another $20, I had to pick the dog up from the groomer.. knowing my wife had cash in her purse, I was just going to grab some to pay the groomer, but she only had $20 in there... so I figured she hid the rest somewhere else..

So me and the wife are chatting and determine that money is missing from her purse, and I relay what i know from the boy finding $40 today in his room.. and how do we handle that?

So we decide the motherly angle is better today, so she confronts him, and within 2 minutes, he confesses...

Now we've lived by the rule around here that doing bad gets you in trouble, but LYING gets you in trouble x10.. After catching them in a lie, we always discipline then severely..

So the boy admitted it, I'm proud he manned up at 9yrs old. Imagine being 9, and knowing how loosy goosey we are with money around here, and he can grab a few twenties and nobody would be the wiser... the temptation was too much for the kid..

To be consistent with our policy, he get's a small extra chore for stealing, but nothing more because he fessed up..

what would you do?
Do what Everett did with his son. Lol. That wld scare the **** out of him. He brought his son to the police station and had them lock him in a cell for an hour and talk to him about being good

TTT
sno4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Yup...not sure if it helped. Might have gotten him used to it. Hellion in training. And now that I moved just his moms influence. She doesn't stand a chance with him hehehe

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett
Yup...not sure if it helped. Might have gotten him used to it. Hellion in training. And now that I moved just his moms influence. She doesn't stand a chance with him hehehe

PETOM.biz TTT
Lol

TTT
Old 03-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Re: Fathers: to be proud, or be disappointed?

Well, I am not a parent, but I would say you handled it well. I imagine it would be hard not to be a little disappointed as a father... I'm sure I disappointed mine a few times when he was still alive...

07 Roush 427R, Brembo 14" rotor and four piston calipers

05 GT Mustang, FRPP, FR X pipe, Hurst short throw,
American Racing Torque Thrust 10X20 wheels,
Granettelli tower brace, custom painted flat black grafix, Yellow Optima
Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno4life View Post
Do what Everett did with his son. Lol. That wld scare the **** out of him. He brought his son to the police station and had them lock him in a cell for an hour and talk to him about being good

TTT

Wow..talk about cruel punishment..but I'm sure that did scare the **** out of him..i've never been to jail knock on wood..but I would be scared at 25 years old lmao
mustangchassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangchassy

Wow..talk about cruel punishment..but I'm sure that did scare the **** out of him..i've never been to jail knock on wood..but I would be scared at 25 years old lmao
Well his son drove his ex-wife's car into the garage

TTT
Old 03-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangchassy View Post
I received an up close and personal tour of "correctional custody" when I was in the AF because we used Mop-and-shine on our floors instead of mil grade industrial wax..
Old 03-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno4life View Post
Well his son drove his ex-wife's car into the garage

TTT
oh wow..well then maybe he needed it..I was thinking it was the money situation...but I'd be pissed lmao...
Old 03-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:

Ya...and I woulda spanked him that would have been abuse. Kid wouldn't have been able to sit for a week. He figured he would take the former old lady's car for a spin into the overhead door. Lucky it didn't hit the mustang or I woulda been the one in the cell

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I received an up close and personal tour of "correctional custody" when I was in the AF because we used Mop-and-shine on our floors instead of mil grade industrial wax..

btw..nice sig..love it..and wow..the damn military huh? jk..my husband is active army..but damn..that is harsh!
Old 03-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
Ya...and I woulda spanked him that would have been abuse. Kid wouldn't have been able to sit for a week. He figured he would take the former old lady's car for a spin into the overhead door. Lucky it didn't hit the mustang or I woulda been the one in the cell

PETOM.biz TTT

lmfao yea so would have too! how old was he????
Old 03-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:

lmfao yea so would have too! how old was he????
6. He is usually pretty responsible so we would get him to start the cars in the morning. This particular morning he figures putting into drive is a good idea. I walked out and noticed the front end up tight against the door. So I walked in shooting off my mouth to koni that parking wasn't her strong suit. Ha....beginning of the end

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 03-21-2011, 05:20 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

6. He is usually pretty responsible so we would get him to start the cars in the morning. This particular morning he figures putting into drive is a good idea. I walked out and noticed the front end up tight against the door. So I walked in shooting off my mouth to koni that parking wasn't her strong suit. Ha....beginning of the end

PETOM.biz TTT
Wow only 6!!! I have a 6 year old daughter I wouldn't let touch any of our cars lmao. Prolly for this reason

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar