A Chat with a Korean war Vet - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2007, 04:31 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
A Chat with a Korean war Vet

While working today I had the pleasure to talk to this Korean War Vet that had came in looking for a new camera for his wife. Somehow we got onto the topic that he was a Vet and we started talking about what he did there. He was telling me he was apart of the Weapons Division and the weapon he shot most of the time was a 57mm Recoilless Rifle. I looked it up, this is what he shot M18 57mm Recoilless Rifle. He's nearly completely deaf on the right side of his ear. The weapon was also fitted to shoot buckshot, so imagine a hord of chinese/korean soldiers coming towards them and this that has a 1750 yard accuracy full of buckshot pointed at the group. He said there were 8 thousand bodies that were not accounted for during that war, and things like this and the White Phosphorous made bodies hard to count.

Anyway, after having a long talk with him it just goes to show ya how much you have to appreciate and honor the vets and the soldiers who come home from war. They break you down, mold you into a killing machine, and then just bring you home and expect you to adapt back to civilization like it was nothing. He says he still wakes up in the middle of the night screaming and punching the walls.

i feel really bad about it all and everything he went through (He was drafted into the Korean War and later became a Sgt.). Hopefully I'll see him again next Saturday and we can keep up our chat.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: A Chat with a Korean war Vet

my dad was a korean war vet, they did break him down, all that but then he was set as a mechanic... but he was in the DM zone of north korea, a bad place to be...
Old 08-06-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

People just don't realize what combat vets have been through and what they and their family's have to live with .

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Aidan_04

^ yeah... Vietnam seriously got my dad...

he's still getting over some of the **** he got there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR View Post
^^^my fave V8 chick ^^^
Aidan_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
He's nearly completely deaf on the right side of his ear.
What about the left side of his ear???

On a serious note, I work with a bunch of vietnam vets and other ex military--we work for the Air Force under civilian contract and most of the guys just retired and find jobs at places like here--it's dam creepy some of the stories that they talk about over there... We also sometimes catch transient aircraft that have the bodies of people who have died in Iraq/Middle East. Sad sad thing war is... But don't want to turn this thread into another dragging, useless political discussion... It's just a shame what some people are forced to do, see, and deal with and are just expected to go back to civilization. :patriot::patriot:
Old 08-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post
It's just a shame what some people are forced to do, see, and deal with and are just expected to go back to civilization. :patriot::patriot:
x1000000 my family (his mother/father/my mother/etc...) all helped my dad when he returned (not everyone got the same treatment when they returned..) ... he was 18 when he left.. 21 when he returned ... I couldn't even imagine that.... me? I bummed off in college and working here and there...
Old 08-08-2007, 09:24 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama

watched something on the history channel about the recoiless rifle...those are some awesome weapons.

Monte...the sad things is there are people that are doing that to our boys that come home from Iraq and Afganistan now. People so twisted that they would spit on my brothers and sisters just so they can say Iraq is wrong.....sorry I am stopping now, before I start getting pissed.

But before I go, it is always awesome to talk to older vets about their expereinces.

Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:02 PM   #8
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have the utmost respect for every member, current or former, of our armed forces.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrATEX View Post
watched something on the history channel about the recoiless rifle...those are some awesome weapons.

Monte...the sad things is there are people that are doing that to our boys that come home from Iraq and Afganistan now. People so twisted that they would spit on my brothers and sisters just so they can say Iraq is wrong.....sorry I am stopping now, before I start getting pissed.

But before I go, it is always awesome to talk to older vets about their expereinces.
That is one thing I've never understood. Why do people spit on or yell at or taunt and what not the troops who are over there???? I mean if they didn't want to go, what are they going to do??? Say no??? Does the word L-E-V-E-N-W-O-R-T-H ring a bell? Atleast these people have the courage to go over there, do what they are told and not ***** about it. I'd say they are a hell of a lot better of an American than those *****ing and sit in their cubicle 8 hours a day. I have an idea, I think those who spit on our troops, should join the military, then say, "I'm not going to fight over there, because I think it's wrong" and see what happens... Man up you cowards and realize these people have to do what they are told. If you are going to *****, do it at the people who sent the over there. :angryfire:angryfire:angryfire
Old 08-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to at7311

I work w/ two Vietnam vets and a few other various former soldiers at work and it is interesting to hear some of there stories. Yet they deal with life fine and have no problems that I'm aware of. One guy told me a story once, about him walking through a field at nice w/ his squad and started taking fire. Before he could hit the deck, a bullet when through one of his fingers, hit hs rifle and knocked it out of his hands, which he was holding in front of him. Wild stuff.

Speaking of my respect for vet and our current soldiers. I found this online today.

FOXNews.com - Patriotic Rap Video Sparks Reaction - FOX Fan

:patriot:
Old 08-14-2007, 10:56 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Thats the only rap I'll listen too

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to at7311

It's more like that coffee house poetry i think..kinda rap though i guess.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar