Dr. Joseph C. Godfrey ALCAP - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Dr. Joseph C. Godfrey ALCAP

I just thought I'd give you a glimpse of how *** backwards my fine state of Alabama is and what kind of organizations we have fighting against progress in this state.

The ALCAP is the Alabama Citizens Action Program, a group of baptist congregations throughout Alabama.

Dr. Joseph C. Godfrey is the guy that heads it.

Below you will see comments on bills currently active in our legislator that involve alcohol, which apparently is anti-family and the devils work. These bills are reasonable, such as allowing someone to brew their own beer inside their own or for brewpubs to open up in more than just historic downtown areas and serve beer on premise.

Another nice one is allowing for containers up to 25.4 ozs, which would allow for new types of beer to be brought here, such as my favorite, Arrogant Bastard from Stone Brewing Company.

The problem with people like this guy is that they don't understand that the people who are hurting families with their alcohol abuse are not the ones that are going to be brewing their own beer or buying premium beers in larger containers. Nor are they the ones that will be visiting brewpubs to taste new beer.

Punishing responsible people for the actions of a few has never made sense to me. Nor does it make sense to me that this guy or organization push their religious "morals" on to the citizens of Alabama.

Quote:
ALCAP LEGISLATIVE RECAP
Dr. Joseph C. Godfrey, Executive Director
April 19, 2011

I’ve read, with interest, various editorials in several regional papers and blogs in which individuals complain, “The names have changed and the faces have changed, but nothing has really changed in Montgomery since the November 2010 elections!”

Well, those who write such statements don’t have a clue! Things have changed dramatically in Montgomery! For example, we are tracking several pro-life bills as they make their way through the Legislature. In the past, we could only hope to “sneak through” one or two pro-life bills each session and most years those bills died in committee without ever being debated on the floor of the House or Senate. Another example is in the obvious absence of pro-gambling bills. In the past, pro-gambling bills monopolized the agendas for the House and Senate throughout each session. Now, there is not a single pro-gambling bill on the agenda! Trust me—it’s a new day in Montgomery!

Having said that, I must admit that when it comes to pro-alcohol bills, nothing has changed. Legislators who ran as family-values oriented candidates do not seem to recognize the connection between alcohol and the destruction of individual lives and the break-up of homes and families. Almost every alcohol-expansion bill has sailed through various committees and/or the two chambers. When we talk with legislators about the negative aspects of alcohol, they argue that “it’s good for business,” or “my constituents are wanting this.”

I am writing to ask you and other believers you know who care about restricting this addictive drug (ethyl alcohol) in order to protect families and communities to contact your House Member and Senator! Call on them to stop passing all of the alcohol-expansion bills now moving through the State Legislature!

Let me list for you some of the more “dangerous” bills:

HB86 by Rep. Joe Hubbard (D-Montgomery), also called the “Brewpub Bill,” and its companion bill in the Senate (SB192) would allow brewpubs in any county and/or municipality that is wet. Currently they can only establish a brewpub in historical districts, which limits them to larger cities. This bill also would allow brewpubs to bottle/can their beer and sell it to wholesalers where it can be marketed in grocery stores and convenience stores.

HB136 by Rep. Mike Ball (R-Madison) would allow State Parks which are located in wet counties and/or municipalities to sell alcoholic beverages on Sunday if the residents approve such action in a special referendum. At first, the bill stated that such a referendum could be held annually, but during a public hearing, I was able to get an amendment that would require a two-year period between votes. A small victory in the face of a terrible bill! State parks should be for the enjoyment of families and alcoholic beverages are “anti-family”!

HB266 by Rep. Mac McCutcheon (R-Capshaw), also called the “Homebrew Bill,” would allow individuals to brew up to 100 gallons (per year, per household) of beer, mead, wine or cider at home without a license and transport up to 10 gallons (for “tasting events” and “competitions”). How can this be regulated? How can this be controlled? It CANNOT!!! People used to call this “bootlegging” and now there is a group that wants to legalize it!

HB281 by Rep. Bill Roberts (R-Jasper) would allow wet-dry votes to be called without having to wait for a general election. A judge ruled that because the original law was vague, this could be done anyway, but this law clarifies that matter. Originally, the law was written to allow wet-dry votes every 90 days, but after this was pointed out to the sponsor, he quickly agreed to change it back to the original 2-year wait period between referenda. (The department where bills are drafted will often “slip things in” without the sponsoring legislator’s knowledge and this may have happened in this case.) Of course, we would rather see this law clarified so as to require counties and municipalities to wait for general elections in order to hold a wet-dry vote.

HB408 (perhaps the most dangerous pro-alcohol bill of all!) by Rep. Oliver Robinson (D-Birmingham) would allow beer containers to increase from 16 oz. to 25.4 oz. The House Economic Development and Tourism Committee voted last week to carry over a decision on this bill to the “call of the chair.” I suggest people contact Chairman, Rep. Barry Mask, and ask him to let this terrible bill die in his committee!

SB345 by Sen. Roger Bedford would allow community development districts within dry counties to sell alcoholic beverages. This is an attempt to circumvent the will of the people! If the citizens of a dry county vote to stay dry and some “community developer” comes in and wants to sell alcoholic beverages, this bill says he/she can do so, in spite of what the citizens of the county say!

There are several bills allowing draft/keg beer sales in certain locales and local bills allowing a vote for Sunday alcohol sales (for example, Northport—HB66—which has already passed and been enacted; ALCAP offers to assist those of you in Northport as you plan for this referendum).

PLEASE CONTACT YOUR HOUSE AND SENATE MEMBERS AND ASK THEM TO OPPOSE THESE PRO-ALCOHOL BILLS!!! THEY NEED TO HEAR FROM YOU!!!
Really, I just wanted to post this so that I could get this thread to rank as high as I could for his name and organization.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
What?!? That's ridiculous!

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1
Re: Dr. Joseph C. Godfrey ALCAP

The most dangerous pro-alcohol bill of all!!! Mayhem!!!!

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Welcome to Alabama.
Attached Images

Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra
Welcome to Alabama.
Trumped only by Arkansas.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

yup, what you believe in is fine, but dont push it on me.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

The only good thing I read in that whole post was Arrogant Bastard Ale. That beer is awesome. I prefer Stoney Brooks Ruination IPA. I couldnt imagin having laws like that pushed on me. I would think long and hard about moving!
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Ha...... *scratches head*....wtf is with ppl? lol
Old 04-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut