Why does my son... - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #36
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: Why does my son...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
I completely agree, well... not completely, but for the most part.

If I had learned another language in 1st through 6th grade, that's fine... but don't make me go waste almost $2500 in tuition costs for 3 classes of Spanish. Hell, the only reason I had to take any foreign language is because a B.S. wasn't offered in for my degree, so since I had to get the B.A., the foreign language department gets my money.

I understand the whole, "every other country learns other languages" argument, which is only partially true in itself. LOTS of other countries are bi/multi lingual, but they're also not a world power. If you want international success, you learn the languages of the industrial nations... and English is pretty universal when it comes to that. If I'm dealing with some guy in the real world thats speaking Durka durka derp durr language, I'll get a translator.

The whole foreign language thing in this country in generally is all kinds of back asswards, and it's hard to even implement something like that into a standardized way of teaching... but something needs to happen. Seriously, I took 2 years of spanish in high school, and 3 semesters in college... the last semester of college level spanish classes was last summer, and I probably couldn't go back to that class and actually PASS a single one of the tests that I pulled B's on as I was "learning" it.

Pointless. 100% waste of money and pointless.
im not talkn collge courses (which obviously you're upset bout..lol).... im talk'n bout grade school or wut not.

my point is this... ive met ppl from supposed third world countries that speak and are fluent in 2-3 languages. we are supposed to be a world super power...the most industrailized nation. and your telling me we cant institute/implemate other languages in our schools? sounds like american arrogance and ignorance... like we are so much better than other countries we wont standarize and teach foriegn languages to our kids like the countries that we think we are superior too.

if you started learning french, spanish, japanese or wutever language from first grade.... then you would be fluent in another language or two long before u turn 18... which would totaly negate those courses u gotta pay for for college, if that makes any sense.

as americans we are taught that we are better than everyone else, so learning other languages are an after thought till u wanna professionaly further your education i.e. college.

countries that dont have cell towers, running water, and basic infrastructure teach their kids foriegn languages from 1st grade up. but as an undustrialized, most powerful nation... we are too good to teach our kids that stuff. we cant standardize it and/or implement it. that's total b.s. that's arrogance, intolerance, and ingnorance in more ways than one.

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #37
Regular

Region: Tennessee

I agree with Zim, that America does it wrong when it comes to foreign language. I also agree svtlx the redneck mentality of English only hurts us in the long run. We should be teaching our children early the benefits of being multilingual.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to Loraco
I agree with you Brent but I don't think I should have to push english at the ATM it should always be english and ask if you would like a different language! Just my 2 cints!
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

bein a teen is not hard at all lol. in college making a 3.1 gpa livin the f'in life.

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack
bein a teen is not hard at all lol. in college making a 3.1 gpa livin the f'in life.
Not everyone has it that easy
Old 04-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #41

Region: Texas
I'm bilingual the good thing bout it is since I live in Houston Texas some jobs around here ask for people who are bilingual. Some jobs around here even pay u more for knowing English and Spanish then people who just know English.
Chris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #42
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraco View Post
I agree with you Brent but I don't think I should have to push english at the ATM it should always be english and ask if you would like a different language! Just my 2 cints!
It doesn't bother me, personally. It goes with part of adapting to a world economy.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent

It doesn't bother me, personally. It goes with part of adapting to a world economy.
+1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar