Looking for a new computer... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-27-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
bullitt482's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 1,106
Looking for a new computer...

Well been out of the computer game for oh what... 8 years now. I know some good ideas like putting games on a separate drive to allow the computer to run faster and so on. Just wondering what good(not the best) out there now. Probably going to get a computer package deal from one of the popular companies(not hp or compaq) so we can make payments on it.... Looking at a desktop. I was also wondering about some of the new stuff that's out like the new names for chips and what not. Back in the day the AMD Athlon was the **** and I know for a fact that it's not now and what kind of RAM, hard drive size, speed, brand, should I be looking for. THANKS!

Oh, and what are good monitors nowadays, also. Damn I'm old
__________________
01 Bullitt
bullitt482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-27-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
bullitt482's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 1,106
Re: Looking for a new computer...

This is the area that I'm looking for....

XPS 720 Product Details

Around 50 bucks a month.
__________________
01 Bullitt
bullitt482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
dark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 1,389
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
Re: Looking for a new computer...

if you've got time and patience, it's far more cost effective to build your own computer
__________________
I don't own a mustang at the moment
dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-27-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Looking for a new computer...

BUILD YOUR OWN. It is EXTREMELY simple.. you have no idea. Its also MUCH cheaper and you get MUCH more for your dollar.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:35 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
DarkShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,734
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow
Re: Looking for a new computer...

You need one with mega terabytes and 1337 video graphics animations cards (4 of them).

Oh, and a 10 gigapixel soft drive with lots of 00ber hard copy diskz.
__________________
DarkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
SrATEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Region: Alabama
Posts: 88
Re: Looking for a new computer...

Build your own...Lets just say my dream computer is $3500 to build it myself. For less of a computer (as in half the ram, only 2/3 the HDD space, little bit less of a vid card, etc) it is 10k through Dell (top of the line XPS desktop), and 15k through Alienware)

If you do not know how to, I am willing to help you out, I can build you the computer for cheap. Even be willing to do a bit of traveling, or I am sure someone else would be willing to help.


But as for what parts I prefer. I like MSI mother boards. Ran them in the past few I have built with no problems, but like ASUS also. AMD is the only processor I use. AMD has the X2s etc. Vid cards I like to run BFG Tech or EVGA. Sound I only go with Creative cards. HDDs I got a mix of Seagate and Western Digital. 7200RPM is the standard now. I have seen some faster with Sata 3.0GB/s. hell you can even buy a Terabyte HDD for a decent price now too. LG DVD-RW drives have been doing me good. Thermaltake cases are my favorite, get an Armor series with plenty of room for a decent price. Ram I prefer Corsair (XMS series) but have ran PNY and Corsairs cheaper stuff with no problems (in fact my computer has the cheap Corsair in it now) PSUs I have been using Enermax with no problems.

Lots of options out there from the big and bad to the smaller. Now I will be honest, it is hard to beat the cheap HPs, Dells, etc that are 500 bucks with comp, LCD monitor, keyboard and mouse, etc if all you are looking for is to surf the net.
__________________


Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
SrATEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Region: Alabama
Posts: 88
Re: Looking for a new computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
You need one with mega terabytes and 1337 video graphics animations cards (4 of them).

Oh, and a 10 gigapixel soft drive with lots of 00ber hard copy diskz.
dont know about 4 vid cards, but two BFG Tech Nvidia 8800s sound real nice.
__________________


Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
n8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,216
Re: Looking for a new computer...

Also, Newegg has financing options as well, and sometimes they run a no payments for 6 months deal. Build your own. Much better.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Nothing is ever official until its official
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:12 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
wiarumas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,738
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
Re: Looking for a new computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
You need one with mega terabytes and 1337 video graphics animations cards (4 of them).

Oh, and a 10 gigapixel soft drive with lots of 00ber hard copy diskz.
don't forget the petabyte of pr0n that is optional with vista: pr0no edition.
__________________

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:18 AM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Looking for a new computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
don't forget the petabyte of pr0n that is optional with vista: pr0no edition.
Do you have the iso for that.
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Thomas91169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Region: California
Posts: 2,280
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Re: Looking for a new computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
BUILD YOUR OWN. It is EXTREMELY simple.. you have no idea. Its also MUCH cheaper and you get MUCH more for your dollar.
****ing agreed. most people think theyre this extravagent mess of wires inside, but its really straightforward. you select a motherboard based on what processor you want to run (be it Intel socket LGA-775 or AMD socket AM2), then you get the processor (best AMD out right now is the 6000+ and its ~230$), then you add ram (both 775 and AM2 are DDR2), if youre gonna run vista you might as well pick up at least 2gb worth. then you choose your video card (most of the higher end motherboards do not come with onboard video), IMO the minimum id go is a 8600GT. then you pick up a hard drive, you can get a new one and just hook up the one you have now as a secondary (just make sure you boot from your primary) so you can keep all your info (i still run a 60gb from the late 90's early 00's because it has alot of stuff i still use). then buy a case and a big power supply (600w min), and some fans and get er done.

Vista and XP copies are dime a dozen, just grab one from a torrent site, burn it to a DVD and viola!
__________________
-Thomas-

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Looking for a new computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
****ing agreed. most people think theyre this extravagent mess of wires inside, but its really straightforward. you select a motherboard based on what processor you want to run (be it Intel socket LGA-775 or AMD socket AM2), then you get the processor (best AMD out right now is the 6000+ and its ~230$), then you add ram (both 775 and AM2 are DDR2), if youre gonna run vista you might as well pick up at least 2gb worth. then you choose your video card (most of the higher end motherboards do not come with onboard video), IMO the minimum id go is a 8600GT. then you pick up a hard drive, you can get a new one and just hook up the one you have now as a secondary (just make sure you boot from your primary) so you can keep all your info (i still run a 60gb from the late 90's early 00's because it has alot of stuff i still use). then buy a case and a big power supply (600w min), and some fans and get er done.

Vista and XP copies are dime a dozen, just grab one from a torrent site, burn it to a DVD and viola!

I just priced out a pretty decent desktop for someone here in town with the AMD 64 x2 4400 for just over $600 including a 19" flatscreen monitor, keyboard, mouse, 2 gig memory, and $500 gig HD.

It really is the way to go...then I'm going to charge $100 to put it together for them...or other services... I also get to keep their current computer...so that will become my LAMP server.
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:12 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
wiarumas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,738
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
Re: Looking for a new computer...

i would recommend against vista tho.. xp ftw.

dx10 my ***... a lot of card companies are going to ignore dx10 due to the fact that 2% or something similar of gamers have vista. they are also claiming dx10 is a strategy for MS to turn profits from pc gaming and onto 360.
__________________

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:09 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Thomas91169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Region: California
Posts: 2,280
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Re: Looking for a new computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
i would recommend against vista tho.. xp ftw.

dx10 my ***... a lot of card companies are going to ignore dx10 due to the fact that 2% or something similar of gamers have vista. they are also claiming dx10 is a strategy for MS to turn profits from pc gaming and onto 360.
DirectX10 is better. if people want to shoot themselves in the foot and keep aging software (XP and DX9.0c) then let them. while the rest of us have awesome looking games with DirectX10.....

BTW BioShock has an option to enable DX10 when it becomes available. IIRC the 360 runs DirectX9.0c. i dont see how making PC's DX10 and keeping the 360 DX9.0c would make the 360 more favorable.

Arent all Nvidia 8series chips DX10 compatible anways?
__________________
-Thomas-

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
bullitt482's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 1,106
Re: Looking for a new computer...

Wow, thanks for ALL of the help guys.

Sr Atex, how far are you from here. We are exactly one hour south of tupelo on Hwy 45. Sounds like you could help us out A LOT. Our only problem is financing this sort of thing. The reason the Dell's and what not are so appealing is because of payments. Another thing is that this computer WILL be used for gaming. Now I don't need hardcore highest resolution possible, I just want decent graphics with a killer framerate that would look a tad better than what the 360 does on a high def tv. I would like to stick with XP since that's what I'm used to and I've heard all the problems with vista. I guess what I'm asking is what could you build me and for what kind of price.

I do have mechanical capabilities(i'm a car guy, duh) but I never got into the ins/outs of a computer. I'm sure I could learn but I don't want to do it on this computer seeing as my wife needs it for school since our laptop is on it's way out.
__________________
01 Bullitt
bullitt482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:58 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: California
Region: California
Posts: 908
Re: Looking for a new computer...

not to hijack but what ticks me off is I can't find Note book that has a Intel 2 Dual Core, 2 GB of Ram, 160 GB HD, 15" screen, decent video card (nothing great, nothing sucky) for around $850-899.
__________________
-Patrick
http://home.socal.rr.com/sephiros/images/NewBan.jpg

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
wiarumas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,738
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
Re: Looking for a new computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
not to hijack but what ticks me off is I can't find Note book that has a Intel 2 Dual Core, 2 GB of Ram, 160 GB HD, 15" screen, decent video card (nothing great, nothing sucky) for around $850-899.
nope.. expect to pay 1200+ if you know where to buy it.

if you want a gaming laptop.. id get a barebone and then add the rest. for example, my $1200 asus has...

2.0GHZ core 2 duo
2GB RAM
80GB 7200rpm
15.4" screen
1600x

i can play fear, oblivion, lotro, etc on high graphics

basicaly what i mean by barebone tho is that it comes just with the casing, mobo, video card, and the company will put on the processor for you... then you add the optical drive, hd, ram, etc. some companies will do all of the above for you though.
__________________

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
wiarumas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,738
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
Re: Looking for a new computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
DirectX10 is better. if people want to shoot themselves in the foot and keep aging software (XP and DX9.0c) then let them. while the rest of us have awesome looking games with DirectX10.....

BTW BioShock has an option to enable DX10 when it becomes available. IIRC the 360 runs DirectX9.0c. i dont see how making PC's DX10 and keeping the 360 DX9.0c would make the 360 more favorable.

Arent all Nvidia 8series chips DX10 compatible anways?
vista is doa.

ill wait before i upgrade to a POS OS like vista. microsoft 7 is definitely on the fast track to make up for vista's losses. its microsoft's response to the worst ever OS they released since ME... its just an OSX spinoff and a poor one at that. have you used office 2007 yet? it makes me want to vomit.

only 8% of microsoft OS are vista... and even a smaller portion of that is gamers.

its not about software and performance... look at the ps3... its about MONEY. why in the world would a software company program for such a small, limited group of people? the market for xp is much more profitable.

this quote basically sums up my thoughts exactly:

Quote:
Game developers have little incentive right now to produce games for DX10, as you'd only be able to utilize the DX10 features of the games on systems running Vista with a fairly high-end, newer graphics card. Considering the slow adoption rate of Vista, the plethora of Vista graphics driver problems, and the cost to consumers for worthy DX10 rigs, the sweet spot for game developers is still DX9 games on Windows XP.
Inside CNET Labs: Lamenting DirectX 10 | Crave : The gadget blog

so basically, my response is... you say that keeping aging software is shooting yourself in the foot... i say upgrading to a POS OS with a stagnant market is leaping before you look (look before you leap switch around).
__________________

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:06 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
SrATEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Region: Alabama
Posts: 88
Re: Looking for a new computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post
Wow, thanks for ALL of the help guys.

Sr Atex, how far are you from here. We are exactly one hour south of tupelo on Hwy 45. Sounds like you could help us out A LOT. Our only problem is financing this sort of thing. The reason the Dell's and what not are so appealing is because of payments. Another thing is that this computer WILL be used for gaming. Now I don't need hardcore highest resolution possible, I just want decent graphics with a killer framerate that would look a tad better than what the 360 does on a high def tv. I would like to stick with XP since that's what I'm used to and I've heard all the problems with vista. I guess what I'm asking is what could you build me and for what kind of price.

I do have mechanical capabilities(i'm a car guy, duh) but I never got into the ins/outs of a computer. I'm sure I could learn but I don't want to do it on this computer seeing as my wife needs it for school since our laptop is on it's way out.

Bullit, Mapquest says I am about 3 1/2 hours from you. If you look at Huntsville, I am about 20 minutes north of it.

I am gonna send you a PM
__________________


Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:48 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: California
Region: California
Posts: 908
Re: Looking for a new computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
nope.. expect to pay 1200+ if you know where to buy it.

if you want a gaming laptop.. id get a barebone and then add the rest. for example, my $1200 asus has...

2.0GHZ core 2 duo
2GB RAM
80GB 7200rpm
15.4" screen
1600x

i can play fear, oblivion, lotro, etc on high graphics

basicaly what i mean by barebone tho is that it comes just with the casing, mobo, video card, and the company will put on the processor for you... then you add the optical drive, hd, ram, etc. some companies will do all of the above for you though.
Oh I'm not even talking about a gaming machine, just a pretty peppy laptop is all. The only time I saw a great price was at Costco. Had all of those stats and it had a coupon so it was $799 I think.
__________________
-Patrick
http://home.socal.rr.com/sephiros/images/NewBan.jpg

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:05 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Thomas91169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Region: California
Posts: 2,280
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Re: Looking for a new computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
vista is doa.
runs perfectly fine for me :dunno: actually its more stable than XP ive found, i dont have windows that freeze randomly then all of a sudden all your icons disappear and then you have to reboot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
have you used office 2007 yet? it makes me want to vomit.
doesnt bother me at all. i use Excel 99% of the time at work and when i bring it home with me, it doesnt make a difference to me. i dont use the mouse though, so there in lies your problem, they moved all your buttons and you arent used to change, i dont use the buttons therefore i dont see any difference in excel. havent used word or anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
only 8% of microsoft OS are vista... and even a smaller portion of that is gamers.
i dont see how it matters to gamers. if theyre gamers, they should have the hardware to run Vista no problem. hell im not really that much of a gamer, and i have no issues running vista. i dont see how Vista would be a hindrance to gaming. maybe if youre some crazy insane nerd about your latest 3Dmark06 score and vista is making you lose 100 points over XP......

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
its not about software and performance... look at the ps3... its about MONEY. why in the world would a software company program for such a small, limited group of people? the market for xp is much more profitable.
so youre saying nobody is going to make games for the PS3 anymore because it didnt sell as good, and everyone should just stick with PS2's? yeah umm, no thanks, just because people dont know how to use a system yet (both PS3 or DX10) doesnt mean its not going to happen.

XP is a dead OS. its not coming out on any new PC's, the only people that will be running it months from now are those that cannot handle change and are gonna sit in the corner of the room and pout with their XP while all the other kids move ahead with life and are running Vista.

its not like keeping XP is giving you an advantage at anything, just like Vista hasnt really given me an advantage at anything (though DreamScene desktop is pretty sweet), however i have the hardware to run both systems to the point it wouldnt matter which was installed, id still have the same result, which is i now need a better video card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
Inside CNET Labs: Lamenting DirectX 10 | Crave : The gadget blog

so basically, my response is... you say that keeping aging software is shooting yourself in the foot... i say upgrading to a POS OS with a stagnant market is leaping before you look (look before you leap switch around).
pretty sad you basically based that entire last quote off of a CNET site.

i dont see how its shooting myself in the foot. what stagnant market are you referring to? every new PC sale has Vista on it.

i bet you were one of those "aww **** XP its **** windows2k is way better, XP is just pretty looking" and now XP is the norm, and big bad Vista is out, so naturally people like you go "aww **** Vista its crap microsoft releases yet another crap OS i hate life why cant we all run Windows98 still!"

youre really not benefiting from pouting in the corner with XP, cut off your nose to spite your face kind of deal. Everyone i know that has had the same reservations have all got over themselves and much like me, wont go back to XP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNET
We've spent some time analyzing these titles and we're less than impressed with their DX10 features. Some of these are really just DX9 titles with a DX10 veneer applied that adds some graphical bells and whistles.
you know what that tells me? right now, nobody can make use of DX10, but just like all the other DirectX software, it soon becomes the norm, so why not just get ready for it now? Not like it costs to upgrade to DX10 anyways, if you have Vista and a DX10 compatible video card, why the **** not? just because a few CNET geeks cant see the difference doesnt mean its not there. im sure its like putting two exact HD-LCD screens, both at 1080i, both playing Spiderman3, one is on Blu-Ray, the other HD-DVD. one IS better by design, thats a fact. figuring out which one is better would be near impossible. however Nates eCock would still be better than either so its moot at this point.

**** it, there went my train of thought, im going to bed, flying out to vegas tomorrow! guys have fun with this discussion.
__________________
-Thomas-

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:19 AM   #22
Registered User
Regular
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 11,873
Re: Looking for a new computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
runs perfectly fine for me :dunno: actually its more stable than XP ive found, i dont have windows that freeze randomly then all of a sudden all your icons disappear and then you have to reboot.
Vista runs games slower than XP.

Quote:
i dont see how it matters to gamers. if theyre gamers, they should have the hardware to run Vista no problem. hell im not really that much of a gamer, and i have no issues running vista. i dont see how Vista would be a hindrance to gaming. maybe if youre some crazy insane nerd about your latest 3Dmark06 score and vista is making you lose 100 points over XP......
It matters because only 8% of gamers have Vista Why in the world would someone buy vista when there are barely any games out there that take advantage of DirectX 10 enough to justify the price?

Quote:
so youre saying nobody is going to make games for the PS3 anymore because it didnt sell as good, and everyone should just stick with PS2's? yeah umm, no thanks, just because people dont know how to use a system yet (both PS3 or DX10) doesnt mean its not going to happen.
Quote:
XP is a dead OS. its not coming out on any new PC's, the only people that will be running it months from now are those that cannot handle change and are gonna sit in the corner of the room and pout with their XP while all the other kids move ahead with life and are running Vista.
You can get any Dell PC with Windows XP on it right now. In fact, Dell stopped providing XP as an option only to have people demand it. So they started allowing it again.

Quote:
its not like keeping XP is giving you an advantage at anything, just like Vista hasnt really given me an advantage at anything
What? That is an advantage for XP Why in the world would you buy Vista if it didn't give you any advantage over XP?

(though DreamScene desktop is pretty sweet), however i have the hardware to run both systems to the point it wouldnt matter which was installed, id still have the same result, which is i now need a better video card.



Quote:
i bet you were one of those "aww **** XP its **** windows2k is way better, XP is just pretty looking"
Why in the world would a gamer say Windows 2k is better than Windows XP? Those two operating systems aren't even marketed at the same people.

Quote:
and now XP is the norm, and big bad Vista is out, so naturally people like you go "aww **** Vista its crap microsoft releases yet another crap OS i hate life why cant we all run Windows98 still!"
Vista is crap. Windows 98 to XP was a change. Windows 98 to Windows ME wasn't. Windows XP to Windows Vista = Windows 98 to Windows ME, only now Windows ME costs 339 dollars if you want everything.

Quote:
youre really not benefiting from pouting in the corner with XP, cut off your nose to spite your face kind of deal. Everyone i know that has had the same reservations have all got over themselves and much like me, wont go back to XP.
What. The. ****. Vista performs worse in every game benchmark. The drivers are not even close to the same level of stability as Windows XP video drivers. Games barely use DirectX 10 with only one game in the near future that actually makes decent use of it.

Yet for some reason you are "pouting" if you say that XP is better.



Quote:
you know what that tells me? right now, nobody can make use of DX10, but just like all the other DirectX software, it soon becomes the norm, so why not just get ready for it now?
No... no... no... please stop posting about this. DirectX 10 can not be compared to any version of DirectX before it. Not one time in the history of Windows has an DirectX version been completely built around one operating system with no backport to older versions. Windows XP DirectX 8 was backported to Windows 98 when it was released. DirectX has always been the norm as soon as a new operating system came out until Vista.

Quote:
Not like it costs to upgrade to DX10 anyways, if you have Vista and a DX10 compatible video card, why the **** not?
The point is why the hell do you want to buy Vista other than it "looks better". It's performance is slower in games than XP. So it does cost to upgrade if you don't have Vista.

Quote:
just because a few CNET geeks cant see the difference doesnt mean its not there. im sure its like putting two exact HD-LCD screens, both at 1080i, both playing Spiderman3, one is on Blu-Ray, the other HD-DVD. one IS better by design, thats a fact. figuring out which one is better would be near impossible. however Nates eCock would still be better than either so its moot at this point.
That's the worst analogy ever. You are comparing two things that are exactly the same to two things that are completely different. Windows XP is no HD-DVD and Vista is not BlueRay.
__________________

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:24 AM   #23
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Looking for a new computer...

I have a key for XP pro...I don't have a key for Vista.

therefore...

XP > Vista

/thread
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:44 AM   #24
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
n8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,216
Re: Looking for a new computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
I have a key for XP pro...I don't have a key for Vista.

therefore...

XP > Vista

/thread
Ding!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Nothing is ever official until its official
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:59 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Thomas91169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Region: California
Posts: 2,280
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Re: Looking for a new computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
I have a key for XP pro...I don't have a key for Vista.

therefore...

XP > Vista

/thread
you dont need a key.

During install, theres an option to register the key later and continue with install. do that, then once installed theres a torrent out there (my crack stuff came with the DVD) that you follow the instructions. basically you disable the clock, disable the alert thingy, load some batch file, then your trial version is permanently stuck on 30 days. you can then turn back on the clock and the alert (if you want to) and you can still get all the updates and whatnot any paying Vista user does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Vista runs games slower than XP.
not that ive seen. IMO yes, you need more hardware to back Vista than XP, thats a given due to Vistas graphical interface. I do agree, if you can barely run a game good on XP you shouldnt be touching Vista.

I see no graphical slowdown from any of my games ive ran on XP compared to Vista, however i cant say much because i upgraded everything else but my video card when going into Vista, i have the support to run it. Now BioShock is a different story, because its showing how incapible my video card is in the Vista gaming environment, a 8600GT will do much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
It matters because only 8% of gamers have Vista Why in the world would someone buy vista when there are barely any games out there that take advantage of DirectX 10 enough to justify the price?
So if all the developers went by this mindset, we might as well just stop advancing and keep DirectX9 forevar! that 8% doesnt matter seeing how the developers are making the games cross compatible, knowing in the transition phase, most are unwilling to make the changeover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You can get any Dell PC with Windows XP on it right now. In fact, Dell stopped providing XP as an option only to have people demand it. So they started allowing it again.
people dont like change. i remember this same dilemma when XP came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
What? That is an advantage for XP Why in the world would you buy Vista if it didn't give you any advantage over XP?
why would you buy an OS anyways **** this quote is gonna backfire seeing i just bought BioShock.

its an advantage for those who would rather change now, because they know change is inevitable, than those that would rather wait and then change later. Every OS has its advantages over the previous, and every OS has taken time to find them, or else we would still be on Windows98.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Vista is crap. Windows 98 to XP was a change. Windows 98 to Windows ME wasn't. Windows XP to Windows Vista = Windows 98 to Windows ME, only now Windows ME costs 339 dollars if you want everything.
if you buy it for the changeover. otherwise, just like XP, the more and more PC's off the shelf use Vista, the more normal it will get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
What. The. ****. Vista performs worse in every game benchmark. The drivers are not even close to the same level of stability as Windows XP video drivers. Games barely use DirectX 10 with only one game in the near future that actually makes decent use of it.
List of games with DirectX 10 support - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ok so we should never upgrade then? Vista performs worse because most of those running it are running the same PC specs as they did when they ran XP. IMO this is an unfair basis of comparison, as naturally with more sophisticated and resource needy programs come out, you have to have the hardware to back it.

heres direct quotes from my buddy that was also a Vista hater; "dude vista is garbage and was slow for me, but here you go anyways" as he hands me the Vista Ultimate dvd. after installing it with the new system he was over one day and was amazed with the quickness he was able to browse through folders and files, and he has XP x64 with a E6600 and 4gb ram (iirc) and a 7950GT. he now runs Vista on the same machine and loves it. hes also the one that got me back into PC Gaming and hardware ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Yet for some reason you are "pouting" if you say that XP is better.
its just another bandwagon of the same people that said the same things about going into XP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
No... no... no... please stop posting about this. DirectX 10 can not be compared to any version of DirectX before it. Not one time in the history of Windows has an DirectX version been completely built around one operating system with no backport to older versions. Windows XP DirectX 8 was backported to Windows 98 when it was released. DirectX has always been the norm as soon as a new operating system came out until Vista.
explain to me the advantages or disadvantages of a DirectX version based solely on a single OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
The point is why the hell do you want to buy Vista other than it "looks better". It's performance is slower in games than XP. So it does cost to upgrade if you don't have Vista.
anytime you want something that looks better you need to have the hardware to back it up. running vista with the same specs as an XP machine is like running a 2.6 KB and trying to run 15psi without support. sure it still runs, but how efficient will it be? Sure, a Eaton with the support of a KB will be a pretty efficient setup from the tuning standpoint, but keep trying to upp the boost and soon the eaton becomes your weakspot.



XP will soon be done. Windows "Version 7" isnt slated to release until 2010, if that. You people are really going to wait 3+ years to upgrade to something that, just like Vista, you will likely regard to as crap and not worth the wait?

btw i wouldnt upgrade if it cost me, if my XP DVD loaded fine, i would be right there with everyone else in the Vista bashing. having ran it for a few months i would, however, buy a new PC with it if it came with it without a second thought. Its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, and its not that different of an environment, aside from the start menu its still just Windows. dammit bytches if you get the chance, just do it, if you are having trouble playing games, get better hardware, you probably need to anyways (i know i need to), you gotta pay to play.
__________________
-Thomas-

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:26 AM   #26
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Looking for a new computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
you dont need a key.

During install, theres an option to register the key later and continue with install. do that, then once installed theres a torrent out there (my crack stuff came with the DVD) that you follow the instructions. basically you disable the clock, disable the alert thingy, load some batch file, then your trial version is permanently stuck on 30 days. you can then turn back on the clock and the alert (if you want to) and you can still get all the updates and whatnot any paying Vista user does.
My VLK version of windows = insert disc, install, finished. No batch files, no hoops. Install and done.

Therefore

XP > Vista

/thread
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:57 AM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
wiarumas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,738
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
Re: Looking for a new computer...

i think a pretty good analogy for xp to vista is.... xp is a regular phone and vista is the video phone. it was an upgrade, was supposed to catch on... but nobody wanted it. then later down the road something more similar to the phone was created (cell phone) and that caught on because it had features, power, performance, reliability, etc that people wanted.

i personally do not want a visual upgrade, performance downgrade for my OS. if anything, i would prefer a simple, clear cut, high performance OS. thats why i have ubuntu running on a second machine now... and if it wasnt for my gaming tendencies, i would probably be using it exclusively.

but that doesnt even matter... we are just personal users. corporate america is rejecting vista and that is its biggest fault. its too unreliable for business use, IT support is subpar for it, it would be very costly to upgrade all the computers to vista, and they would probably have to retrain their employees to use it (and office 07). if it doesnt catch on there... it wont catch on at home... and vice versa.
__________________

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:08 AM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
SrATEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Region: Alabama
Posts: 88
Re: Looking for a new computer...

Vista will be just like XP was...everyone screamed at how bad, unrelieable, resource hog that XP was...but after a bit of time and SP1...it became a normal everyday OS that everyone used.


I remember when XP came out...i thought how cool it looked, especially compared to my Win98, but the guys that were bigger nerds then I am, said the same thing about XP as Vista...I now laugh at them.

I want to build a new computer. When I do, I will run Vista. It is the way of the future.


as for the small and limited nuimber of PS3 owners. From what I see, just Jan to June 2007 a little over 760 thousand consoles were sold. That doesnt include 06 holiday season and since the price drop in July. I think that is a few more then a small and limited number of owners.

But I own a PS3. I own a Wii, I do not own a 360.
__________________


Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:25 AM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
MarkuzLS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Region: Alabama
Posts: 1,426
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1
Re: Looking for a new computer...

SP1 for Vista is coming out here in the next few months. My only real complaint about Vista is that it doesn't have nearly the driver support that XP does. As time goes on, it'll get better. One day I'll probably upgrade. For now, though, XP does everything I need it to do.
__________________

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:42 AM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
wiarumas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,738
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
Re: Looking for a new computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
SP1 for Vista is coming out here in the next few months. My only real complaint about Vista is that it doesn't have nearly the driver support that XP does. As time goes on, it'll get better. One day I'll probably upgrade. For now, though, XP does everything I need it to do.
i think i just read a day or two ago that it was pushed back to april 2008
__________________

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Computer 95stang_man Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 1 03-24-2005 11:47 PM
Computer problem....for all you computer gurus.. Rick0636 The Bar 59 02-19-2005 11:42 PM
need computer help Monkey The Bar 9 02-18-2005 02:06 AM
computer help STEVE The Bar 14 07-21-2004 08:04 AM
Computer Brent Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 3 07-13-2004 08:11 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



08:47 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.