Building a computer tower... input needed - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #36
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
Re: Building a computer tower... input needed

Well, I got it all thrown together. Running 2x 1.5TB hard drives in RAID1 (mirror drives) with a 60GB solid-state boot drive. Other than that, not much has changed. If I didn't post it before, I went with the MSI Twin FrozrIII 560 Ti. I'm very happy with it all.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
Well, I got it all thrown together. Running 2x 1.5TB hard drives in RAID1 (mirror drives) with a 60GB solid-state boot drive. Other than that, not much has changed. If I didn't post it before, I went with the MSI Twin FrozrIII 560 Ti. I'm very happy with it all.
A couple Questions for you really quick did you verify that you hooked up your sssd through a sata III connection, only reason i ask is because if you got a sata III SSD and you are using a sata II port you aren't utilizing its full capability. What how are you managing your data ie ssd to your raid? Just curious, I just came across this thread now because i was gone on a business trip with no access to anything however I have 3 ssds and two of them I am running through one laptop no problems going on a year now. In fact i am running 856 gigs of solid state in my laptop so I promise you especially with ocz it will last longer then your mechanical drive
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #38
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy View Post
A couple Questions for you really quick did you verify that you hooked up your sssd through a sata III connection, only reason i ask is because if you got a sata III SSD and you are using a sata II port you aren't utilizing its full capability. What how are you managing your data ie ssd to your raid? Just curious, I just came across this thread now because i was gone on a business trip with no access to anything however I have 3 ssds and two of them I am running through one laptop no problems going on a year now. In fact i am running 856 gigs of solid state in my laptop so I promise you especially with ocz it will last longer then your mechanical drive
The SSD is running off an Intel SATAIII. My SSD is being used only for the OS and large programs (like League of Legends). Basically anything with slow boot times. I went with a Crucial M4 SSD. The HDDs are run off the Intel SATAII ports. I moved everything from the USER profile onto the RAID... documents, downloads, data all of it.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The SSD is running off an Intel SATAIII. My SSD is being used only for the OS and large programs (like League of Legends). Basically anything with slow boot times. I went with a Crucial M4 SSD. The HDDs are run off the Intel SATAII ports. I moved everything from the USER profile onto the RAID... documents, downloads, data all of it.
Sounds like you got it all lined up. How fast are you boot times with that crucial M4?
Old 09-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #40
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Sounds like you got it all lined up. How fast are you boot times with that crucial M4?
Once the POSTs are done, it says "Starting Up" and a couple seconds later (maybe 2-3) it's up and all set to go. Almost instant "blink" to ready

Old 09-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Once the POSTs are done, it says "Starting Up" and a couple seconds later (maybe 2-3) it's up and all set to go. Almost instant "blink" to ready
yeah that is what is beautiful about an ssd you don't have to start the computer walk away to grab a cup of coffee and come back and still wait for the thing to be loading.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #42
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah, I actually shut it down at night now... lol. Very stable system, I disabled hibernation and reduced the swap file size from 16.5GB! down to 512MB to get a little more SSD room. I've transferred almost everything over to the HDD.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
yeah, I actually shut it down at night now... lol. Very stable system, I disabled hibernation and reduced the swap file size from 16.5GB! down to 512MB to get a little more SSD room. I've transferred almost everything over to the HDD.
That's great yeah programs and os on the ssd only and you r set I still have a habit of leaving my laptop on all the time but it works. Do u have trim set up on ur os/ssd

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
Old 09-06-2011, 06:06 AM   #44
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
That's great yeah programs and os on the ssd only and you r set I still have a habit of leaving my laptop on all the time but it works. Do u have trim set up on ur os/ssd
I don't believe so. This is the first computer I've built. I've learned a ton about the process and components.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Well I own a Mac which long story short doesn't support trim on third party ssds without a modification but windows allows u to do it and I don't know off the top of my head but if u search trim ssd windows 7 on google u should be able to find the info you need. The advantages of trim stem off how the data is loaded on ur ssd to maintain the health and speed of it.

---------- Post added at 06:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

Quote:

I don't believe so. This is the first computer I've built. I've learned a ton about the process and components.
It's the quickest way to learn about that stuff so I am not surprised

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
Old 09-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #46
Legacy Member
Legacy

TRIM was the default setting, I just checked.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
TRIM was the default setting, I just checked.
Great now I am jealous looks like a great build for a grand especially

Old 09-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #48
Legacy Member
Legacy

I can honestly say I'm in no way disappointed in this build. I have played a couple decently large online games and I've never been out loaded. It's actually funny how lightning fast it loads. Because of the 200mm fans running at a lower RPM, it's very quiet for the cooling it does (quieter than my laptop...). And this is sitting right next to me on my desk until my longer cords come in (my desk is an oak corner desk that is 6' on each side...)

Old 09-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Got it yeah if u have the right tower that can make a difference and the ssd runs cooler then a mechanical drive plus the 12 gigs of ram don't run as hot as smaller sets do when running high intensive games so good deal glad to hear it has worked out well did it leave you room for upgrades yet?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #50
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

You should be disappointed in the hideous case...

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #51
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1
Hey man all those lights add more computing power!

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #52
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Got it yeah if u have the right tower that can make a difference and the ssd runs cooler then a mechanical drive plus the 12 gigs of ram don't run as hot as smaller sets do when running high intensive games so good deal glad to hear it has worked out well did it leave you room for upgrades yet?
The case has room for upgrading... as does the MoBo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
not like those abortion cases you called "Lian" or whatever. I've seen more attractive shipping boxes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Hey man all those lights add more computing power!
I happen to like the lights. It's not like they pulse, they're not obsessively bright or anything... just a nice mild glow.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The case has room for upgrading... as does the MoBo.

not like those abortion cases you called "Lian" or whatever. I've seen more attractive shipping boxes

I happen to like the lights. It's not like they pulse, they're not obsessively bright or anything... just a nice mild glow.
Lights are always nice they set a mood as u sit in front of ur screen

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar