Fordite - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Fordite

Ever hear of this stuff? It's my bday and my sweetheart gave me a chunk of it- very cool looking, here's some info:
Remember that 1964 Ford Mustang you pined after as a teen? Yeah, that’s the one—the sweet red convertible you saved up for, busing trays for tips at the local soda shop, but never could afford? It can be yours now, along with many other classic models…well, in keepsake form, that is.

A manmade material called fordite—used in all types of jewelry, from lady’s pendants to men’s rings—preserves a slice of automotive history under its polished surface. No, it doesn’t consist of a shattered headlight, melted into cabochon form. This gem of a stone reveals its history through multiple layers of colorful paint scavenged from the very factory that led to Steve McQueen’s ride in Bullit and my own father’s Shelby GT infatuation.

Back in the 1950s and 1960s, vehicles passing through Ford assembly lines reached a booth where men with paint guns sprayed them various colors. The paint inevitably accumulated on the racks holding the cars, building up, layer upon layer. Considered as industrial waste, most workers overlooked the hardened paint until cleaning time. Some factory men, however, fortuitously shared a particular hobby that grew out of 1940s California—cutting and polishing stones, an art practiced by lapidaries. They eventually realized that the sheets of pigment others might consider trash could actually be fashioned into treasure and started mining away. When the material is cut, “it looks just like a really finely banded stone—like an agate,” says Gary Wilson, a lapidary who works with fordite. “It’s just a unique recycled material that most people paid no attention to in the era it was being produced.”

I attached a pic of mine - I think a can see a little Legend Lime in there -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1788877398.png
Views:	75
Size:	986.3 KB
ID:	33852  
Pype Bomb Axle-Backs, JLT CAI, SCT Tuner w/Bama tuning, BMR Strut Tower Brace, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Black Hood Pins, Black Shorty antenna, Tru-Billet Black Anodized GT engraved Fuel Door, Black Lemans Stripes, Black Rocker Stripes, Brushed Aluminum finish dash and vents, Stack Racing pedals, Charcoal Black Leather Interior, Gloss Black Bullitt Motorsport Wheels, Nitto 555 tires, staggered set up (9/10), 35% tint, Shaker 1000 Stereo with Kicker Upgrades, Ultra Violet footwell, license plate and dome lighting
RVAStang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Send a message via Skype™ to JetWolf
Re: Fordite

man thats cool!

Is it very hard or could you smash it? Would be killer to have a ring made out of it!
Well you ma'am have one interesting and very radical sweetheart,
happy day of birth!!
Old 11-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetWolf
man thats cool!

Is it very hard or could you smash it? Would be killer to have a ring made out of it!
Well you ma'am have one interesting and very radical sweetheart,
happy day of birth!!
It's hard, but it feels light but very solid- very unique
Pype Bomb Axle-Backs, JLT CAI, SCT Tuner w/Bama tuning, BMR Strut Tower Brace, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Black Hood Pins, Black Shorty antenna, Tru-Billet Black Anodized GT engraved Fuel Door, Black Lemans Stripes, Black Rocker Stripes, Brushed Aluminum finish dash and vents, Stack Racing pedals, Charcoal Black Leather Interior, Gloss Black Bullitt Motorsport Wheels, Nitto 555 tires, staggered set up (9/10), 35% tint, Shaker 1000 Stereo with Kicker Upgrades, Ultra Violet footwell, license plate and dome lighting
RVAStang05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar