Celebs that don't know what they are talking about... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-28-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
Celebs that don't know what they are talking about...

...yet think they do so they open their mouths, even if they aren't even famous anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Urinal-Constitutions
Nuclear foes protest Plant Vogtle expansion
Indigo Girls singer among those opposed to Georgia Power plan

By MARGARET NEWKIRK
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 11/27/07
Holding signs, applauding and shivering in the wind outside the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's office in Atlanta, 21 staunch opponents of nuclear power, including one Indigo Girl, made their case Tuesday.

The occasion was the second to last day of a key public comment period related to Georgia Power's planned expansion of the Vogtle nuclear plant near Augusta.

The comment period on an environmental impact report on that plant closes at the end of the day Wednesday.

Georgia Power wants to add two more units to the two units already at the plant.

The group outside the NRC wants the public to weigh in against that expansion — or any nuclear expansion.

"We're few but we're strong," said Emily Saliers, the Indigo Girls member in the small crowd.

"Nuclear energy is not the answer," she said. "It's not clean, it's expensive, it's dangerous and its highly subsidized by the federal government."

Georgia Power and its parent, Southern Co., are among a number of utilities now pushing to build nuclear units for the first time in decades.

The push has heavy support — including financial support — from Washington.

Of the 21 opponents on hand, 11 took the mike.

Some had been fighting nuclear power since the first two Vogtle units were finished at great expense in the 1980s. Some had been at it since the 1970s.

Their issues haven't changed much.

The United States still has no final, central resting place for the radioactive waste reactors produce, for instance.

Nuclear plants remain costly to build. The activists passed out fliers showing the huge cost overruns that plagued the original Vogtle units.

The activists strongly opposed increased subsidies for nuclear builders now pending in Congress.

Those proposed subsidies include $50 billion in tax dollars to guarantee nuclear builders' loans.

A newly prominent issue is water. Nuclear power consumes lots of river water, now at a premium because of the region's drought.

Sara Barczak, of the Southern Alliance for Clean Energy, said an expanded Vogtle would consume as much water per day as is used by every resident inside the city limits of Atlanta, Macon, Augusta and Savannah.

Southern Co. said it couldn't vouch for Barczak's numbers, but said Plant Vogtle uses less than one percent of the Savannah River's average flow now and will use less than two percent of that flow if expanded.

The company said it has safely stored waste for decades at pools and casks at its plant, and will continue to do so until a long-promised central repository opens at Yucca Mountain in Nevada.

The company has yet to give an estimate of what its proposed new nuclear units will cost customers.

But it's getting closer. The company expects to have a price from its vendor, Westinghouse, on Friday.

Beth Thomas, a spokeswoman for Southern's nuclear subsidiary, said that though Southern supports federal loan guarantees for the industry at large, it isn't counting on them for Plant Vogtle. However, it would take advantage of them if they became available, Thomas said.

She said the company doesn't need the guarantees as much as power companies in some other states because Georgia has a regulatory approval process that cuts down on financial risks.
1. Expensive? Seriously? This idiot should have taken the time to research the cost of producing energy at a nuclear plant compared to a coal or LNG plant. Also, nuclear energy is now nearly as safe as other forms of energy thanks to turn-key reactors and government regulated checks and balances.

2. Consumes? What does the plant turn this river water into? Oh yeah, over 90% is returned as WATER directly to the river.

I hate celebrities turned activists.......I bet that woman would crap herself is she realized that the country gets 15-20% of its electricity from nukes. *GASP*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh
Re: Celebs that don't know what they are talking about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64 View Post
...yet think they do so they open their mouths, even if they aren't even famous anymore.

1. Expensive? Seriously? This idiot should have taken the time to research the cost of producing energy at a nuclear plant compared to a coal or LNG plant. Also, nuclear energy is now nearly as safe as other forms of energy thanks to turn-key reactors and government regulated checks and balances.

2. Consumes? What does the plant turn this river water into? Oh yeah, over 90% is returned as WATER directly to the river.

I hate celebrities turned activists.......I bet that woman would crap herself is she realized that the country gets 15-20% of its electricity from nukes. *GASP*
And how much of the remaining 10% of water used is returned into the atmosphere as steam? Im no meteorologist, but wouldn't more moisture being dumped into the air help a drought stricken area?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Most people don't know anything about nuclear power.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

also... isn't nuclear power relatively low on pollution concerning other methods?

i'll say it again... i don't see why anyone would listen to a celebrity... all they do is pretend they are someone else... it requires almost no mental capacity to be able to do that.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Nuclear power is a zero-emissions power source.

I like turtles.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:56 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

It's just dangerous working with nuclear material, of course there's your draw back. But done right, we have got some excellent cheap energy

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiljosh View Post
And how much of the remaining 10% of water used is returned into the atmosphere as steam? Im no meteorologist, but wouldn't more moisture being dumped into the air help a drought stricken area?
About 10%

Nuclear power is awesome I think: cheap, zero emissions. We will probably need a long term storage option eventually, but until the technology is available keeping it sunk underwater seems to work pretty well.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

The Yucca Mountain facility is an awesome place for it. ****, it's already built and everything. The only reason it's not being used is that retarded "environmentalists" have made such a stink that the government won't transport the waste. So they've built long-term storage facilities at all the nuclear plants.

I like turtles.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

conversations like this make me appreciate the simcity series so much more haha.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:10 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
The Yucca Mountain facility is an awesome place for it. ****, it's already built and everything. The only reason it's not being used is that retarded "environmentalists" have made such a stink that the government won't transport the waste. So they've built long-term storage facilities at all the nuclear plants.
Yucca Mountin will be amazing if/when its open. I don't know if I would call deep pools of water "long-term" since the storage capacity is limited without building entirely new pools. However, I will agree that the "caskets" some waste is being buried is about as close to permanent storage you will get on site.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:25 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

They recently built a dry long term storage facility at Browns Ferry. They move the spent fuel there after it spends so much time in the pools. Similiar facilities have been/are being built at plants all over. Like you said, there's only so much room in the pools.

I like turtles.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:35 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Haha! I found it. Dry Cask Storage.

I like turtles.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:57 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
Haha! I found it. Dry Cask Storage.
Thats pretty neat, I think thats how they store the waste at the facility my dad works at.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:29 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion

ya all that "smoke" you see coming from the stacks is actually water. That's why it so humid in the south!

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar