"Smoke 'em if you got em: Muscle cars are dead" - new legislation says 35mpg for 2011 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2007, 06:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via MSN to SilentNoise
"Smoke 'em if you got em: Muscle cars are dead" - new legislation says 35mpg for 2011

TheMustangNews.com - Smoke 'em if you got em: Muscle cars are dead.

"This week both the House and Senate passed a landmark energy bill that should be named, “The 2007 Kill The American Automobile Industry Act”. In another strange departure from sound principles, President George Bush will actually sign the bill on Wednesday, casting a major blow to the automotive landscape as we know it......."

Pretty interesting read.

The author has a pretty pessimistic look on things - not that I blame him, because by 2011 automakers must meet a new standard of 35mpg, which spells doom for pretty much all V8s as we know them today.

However the new 35mpg standard is an average rating for all of the passenger vehicles, which means some can be worse while some are better than 35...... and because it's an AVERAGE RATING, I see a loophole that may be able to salvage the V8 muscle car from becoming extinct: some newer V8s come with the ability to "electronically split the engine in half", letting you run the same vehicle on either 4 or 8 cylinders. By averaging the V4 and V8 fuel rating for the same car, you're going to increase it's average MPG rating dramatically- they'll still come in under the 35mpg unless more changes are made, but it gives them room to work at least

Now with domestic engines as they're made today, the boys in Detroit will still have to find other solutions to get other cars out with ratings over the 35mpg mark (only one in Ford's line-up is the useless Focus) - especially if they want their flagship vehicles like Mustang, F-150, Corvette, etc to survive (or they can come up with the most fuel efficient V8 in auto history).

Wolf Pack Car Club - Domestic V8 Performance Club (Edmonton, AB, Canada)

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
SilentNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2007, 07:15 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick
Re: "Smoke 'em if you got em: Muscle cars are dead" - new legislation says 35mpg for

its stuff like this that will destroy the auto industry as we know it. forget having a nice car to drive around, we are all going to be stuck driving hybrids and crap cars like that

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:22 AM   #3
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Re: "Smoke 'em if you got em: Muscle cars are dead" - new legislation says 35mpg for

Once again the government screws the auto industry.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2007, 07:29 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNoise View Post
The author has a pretty pessimistic look on things - not that I blame him, because by 2011 automakers must meet a new standard of 35mpg, which spells doom for pretty much all V8s as we know them today.
Just a little correction on that statement. Changes need to BEGIN in 2011 but the 35 mpg average doesn't need to be fully met until 2020. So the have 13 years until they have to meet CAFE of 35mpg.

Man CAFE is dumb.

-Denver
2002 Mineral Grey GT, 5-speed: MGW short throw, JLT CAI: SOLD
2002 Electric Green V6, Auto: SOLD
greenpony02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:24 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I'm glad I have a car that doesn't conform with these...at least I'll be having fun lol.

Just curious what I'll end up with for a work truck...I'd like to see them get 35 out of a full size truck because I'm not gonna be able to work out of a mid-size.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I'm glad I have a car that doesn't conform with these...at least I'll be having fun lol.

Just curious what I'll end up with for a work truck...I'd like to see them get 35 out of a full size truck because I'm not gonna be able to work out of a mid-size.
That's why it's an average rating for their whole passenger vehicle fleet and not a mandatory mark for all of their vehicles to meet - this way a gas guzzling V8 pick-up can have it's poor fuel economy off-set by some little hybrid that gets 50mpg.

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
Old 12-19-2007, 09:12 AM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Which is also fine for me...I already have my final new muscle car...the rest will all be classics...so...let them standards the rates...mine are only going lower.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNoise View Post
some newer V8s come with the ability to "electronically split the engine in half", letting you run the same vehicle on either 4 or 8 cylinders. By averaging the V4 and V8 fuel rating for the same car,

bingo!........just make the mustang come with mds (multi displacement system)
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:18 AM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
No, because then tuning becomes a real *****...
Old 12-19-2007, 09:29 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

well thats what you get for buying a new mustang anyway

but what about just turning it off permanately through the tune
Old 12-19-2007, 09:31 AM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
well thats what you get for buying a new mustang anyway

but what about just turning it off permanately through the tune
I don't believe that is an option which is why you don't see a lot of blown chargers...

At least, that is what some charger owner dude was telling me a while back.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:38 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

i thought it was b/c they didnt make tuning software for the car yet......:dunno:
Old 12-19-2007, 09:47 AM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
i thought it was b/c they didnt make tuning software for the car yet......:dunno:
Right, which I believe is because they can't get around the MDS....it fubars things or something. I don't know, I don't care about those brands, I just repeat what I hear from people that do.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

huh, well i will keep my 04 then...........they can keep that ****
Old 12-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

They may not be able to crack the tuning just yet, but in given time, just like when EFI was introduced, people will work their way through the system and figure it out.

As for tuning becoming a real ***** with MDS today, what about putting in a flip chip where you've got 2 tunes programmed? That's the way I would think they'd work it.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:35 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
its not that great and really doesnt amount to much. sounds like a awesome idea, but when you cut fuel, you now end up with dead cylinders, increasing the load for the rest of the ones still alive, which doesnt help much.

basically what it means is 2011, there will be no more trucks that can haul ****, which means all construction companies will not buy any new trucks, as they will just resort to keeping their current 2010 fleet alive and kicking. construction companies make up a large amount of truck sales for both Ford and GM, not so much Dodge, and you will never find a yota on a construction site other than the one the guy drives on that Discovery show about construction with the nerdy guy that cant do anything.

this also means the modern muscle era is yet again, squashed. Buy up all we can now, and ****ing store them.

we will likely be the last generation with awesome cars. the next few decades you will see the trend move to the point where everyone drives a white 4dr econobox because the government says so.

luckily they cannot impose a 35mpg to vehicles bought before 2011 so that just means that everyone who wants a car/truck with actual balls just wont ever upgrade to newer piles of crap, which in turn will hurt the industry, and hopefully force them to go after the government for being ****tards.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:42 AM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

You will still get trucks that can tow...as they will come out with a hybrid or two to offset the mileage like was stated above. It is average mileage, so for every 1 vehicle they make with **** mileage, they will need to make 1 with great mileage...and with hybrids being all the rage and only getting more popular with celebs...more effort will go towards building them. Hell, even west coast customs tricked out a damn hybrid...forgot which one...was a retarded concept anyhow.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
You will still get trucks that can tow...as they will come out with a hybrid or two to offset the mileage like was stated above. It is average mileage, so for every 1 vehicle they make with **** mileage, they will need to make 1 with great mileage...and with hybrids being all the rage and only getting more popular with celebs...more effort will go towards building them. Hell, even west coast customs tricked out a damn hybrid...forgot which one...was a retarded concept anyhow.
ah the "average" loophole..........

Old 12-19-2007, 12:01 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

yeah... i was about to say there is a false statement. its 2020 that changes need to be made.

i would guess this is just incentive for the car industries to do something other than produce gas powered cars.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

i think im gonna cry.
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:36 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

i hope they dont get rid of the shelby!
cobraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:55 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

i parked at this new business facility here in chatt, and the spots directly in front of the doors had a big "LEV" painted in the space. I was like, wtf is LEV? and then i read, "low emissions vehicle"...and they were closer than the handicapped spot. :barf:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

i wouldve parked there anyways and turned the car off.

if anybody asked, just tell them its a ZEV (Zero Emissions Vehicle) since its turned off, and they can kiss my ***.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:18 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

ahhhh...the joys of replacing "smog" with "smug"....

one the of the best episodes of South Park ever....<bends over to enjoy the smell of my fart>
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:21 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

look on the bright side maybe now we can get a lighter mustang.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:22 PM   #26
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangfan2003 View Post
Now that is the funniest thing I have heard all day. I don't think ford will be happy till the mustang weighs 5000 pounds.

Actually, more emissions restrictions will probably just add more emissions equipment to the car...and add more weight.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

MPG will not get better unless the weight gains end. i'd love to see a new mustang about the same size of a fox body or a 64. it's a performance car it doesn't have to be big.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:06 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangfan2003 View Post
Unfortunately it's going to be a retro version of the Mustang II 2:

Old 12-19-2007, 05:13 PM   #29
Regular

Region: Tennessee

and people wonder why I don't want to give this country over to a person like Hillary Clinton or Obama.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:48 PM   #30
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
and people wonder why I don't want to give this country over to a person like Hillary Clinton or Obama.
Ding Ding
Old 12-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

it's not gonna be as big of a change as you think GM already has nine cars that get 35mph or better

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:54 PM   #32
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

GM sucks tho, so yeah.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:57 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

well it's like this a sub-model is considered another model so you got the 4cyl. model that sucks and then you got the 400hp V8 model and you get away with it

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:52 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

they will probably just make you pay an extra gov tax if the vehicle is to bad on gas (so they can keep it out of the average) or some crap.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:47 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
they will probably just make you pay an extra gov tax if the vehicle is to bad on gas (so they can keep it out of the average) or some crap.
They do that now...go look at a window sticker for a termi or a gt500. I believe it's 1500.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar