yamaha r6... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
yamaha r6...

So I'm looking to start riding as one of my co managers at work does. He recently left for the army and has gotten me into the whole street bike hype. I'm going to take the certification test soon and need to start looking at bikes. I really like the yamaha r6 models, I'm looking for any comments/experiences that anyone might have with these bikes. Any feedback would be great, thanks!
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
All of 600's are great bikes. Each brand has its own pros and cons, so it really depends on you. I had a Honda CBR600RR a few years ago. I chose it for its linear power and fork stability which no other 600 had at the time.

Do just take the look of the bike as the only factor. Sit on each bike and see how it feels for you body type. They are different. Do plenty of research on each bike from a few sources and develop your own conclusion. The R6 is a good. Ike by the way.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegischief
All of 600's are great bikes. Each brand has its own pros and cons, so it really depends on you. I had a Honda CBR600RR a few years ago. I chose it for its linear power and fork stability which no other 600 had at the time.

Do just take the look of the bike as the only factor. Sit on each bike and see how it feels for you body type. They are different. Do plenty of research on each bike from a few sources and develop your own conclusion. The R6 is a good. Ike by the way.
^^this... Newer(09 and up) 600's are very race inspired.. RR=Race replica.. IMO the Hondas are usually the most well rounded of the big four, from reliability to performance. Truthfully all the newer bikes are pretty good if well maintained.
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

^^this... Newer(09 and up) 600's are very race inspired.. RR=Race replica.. IMO the Hondas are usually the most well rounded of the big four, from reliability to performance. Truthfully all the newer bikes are pretty good if well maintained.
Totally agree. The Hondas are well rounded and do everything really well, including making up for what the rider lacks. Also, the CBR has dominated the racing circuits for a long time, like the GSXR has done in the 750 and liter classes.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I have heard really good things about the gsxr's as well. I want to start off with enough power but yet not to much. I also obviously want a reliable bike to start with so that I can learn everything
Old 04-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorF25
I have heard really good things about the gsxr's as well. I want to start off with enough power but yet not to much. I also obviously want a reliable bike to start with so that I can learn everything
Any 600 will suit your needs just fine. I personally like the CBRs. And trust me, a 600 is plenty fast!
Old 04-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Any 600 will suit your needs just fine. I personally like the CBRs. And trust me, a 600 is plenty fast!
Well my next question is should I buy from a dealer or a private owner? This may sound like a stupid question but I've been wondering about it
Old 04-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well my next question is should I buy from a dealer or a private owner? This may sound like a stupid question but I've been wondering about it
If you can find a very low mileage bike and the owner will let you have the bike checked out by a certified mechanic, then private is fine. Otherwise, by new from a dealer. Might even be able to get a good deal on last years models.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have a 2009 Yamaha R6 and ****in love it man. I run Gixer 750s in the ground. I have a few mods, but I have yet to have a CBR or a Gixer beat me. I keep up to liter bikes until about 250 then they pull on me.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you can find a very low mileage bike and the owner will let you have the bike checked out by a certified mechanic, then private is fine. Otherwise, by new from a dealer. Might even be able to get a good deal on last years models.
I would feel safer if I bought from a dealer.... yeah I really just want to go and sit on an r6 and get a good feel for it. Being my first bike I would like to make sure I'm comfortable, I don't want it to be my first and last lol
Old 04-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I would feel safer if I bought from a dealer.... yeah I really just want to go and sit on an r6 and get a good feel for it. Being my first bike I would like to make sure I'm comfortable, I don't want it to be my first and last lol
I also bought from a dealer. Bought it in 2010 and got like 4000 off a brand new bike.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Well if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay after everything? What did the monthly payments look like? I have a certified yamaha dealer about 20 mins away from my house and that's also where I have to take the test at
Old 04-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay after everything? What did the monthly payments look like? I have a certified yamaha dealer about 20 mins away from my house and that's also where I have to take the test at
After all my gear it was just over 11,000. And I paid in full. So no monthly payments for me. I went to a local dealer too. And I ride without a license hahahahhaha, cops don't bother chasing bikes were I'm from
Old 04-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I bought a new at the 2005 CBR 600 from a dealer and was out the door for $9100. Was paying around $180/month.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Greene

After all my gear it was just over 11,000. And I paid in full. So no monthly payments for me. I went to a local dealer too. And I ride without a license hahahahhaha, cops don't bother chasing bikes were I'm from
That's not to bad man, I went to the dealer about 2 weeks ago and they had 2011 R1's for about 11k. I'm prob going to buy the gear offline and just save the money to buy the bike cash. (I'm hoping to knock them down on price with cash in my hand)

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 AM ----------

Quote:
I bought a new at the 2005 CBR 600 from a dealer and was out the door for $9100. Was paying around $180/month.
That's a really affordable monthly payment, how much down?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar