Honda cbr or Suzuki gsxr? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
TaylorF25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 296
Honda cbr or Suzuki gsxr?

I'm trying to decide on a bike and need some opinions.... After watching hours of videos online and talking to countless people I have narrowed my search to Either a Honda Cbr 600 or Suzuki Gsxr 600. There are many positives and negatives about each but I figured I would ask some fellow drivers from the mustang community. With the many years of knowledge here im hoping to get some good feedback. Please let me know what you think, any personal experiences, anything at all. Thanks
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,372
gsxr 600 all the way

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126
gsxr 600 all the way
i had 9k in mods/dyno time to my last one. got stollen a few months ago which sucks. but it was a beast
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
TaylorF25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126
gsxr 600 all the way

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------


i had 9k in mods/dyno time to my last one. got stollen a few months ago which sucks. but it was a beast
Damn that sounds like a serious bike, I mean even a 600 stock is a beast so I can't even imagine yours
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorF25

Damn that sounds like a serious bike, I mean even a 600 stock is a beast so I can't even imagine yours
mods included cams/exhaust/ bazzaz Zbomb/ power comander 5/ powercomander quickshifter/ k&n race filter/ velocity stack. nitrous system with 60 shot. activated at 90%throttle. it was geared real low. stretched/ lowered/ tires carbon fiber pieces and bunch of other crap. and custom dyno tuned
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
TaylorF25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126

mods included cams/exhaust/ bazzaz Zbomb/ power comander 5/ powercomander quickshifter/ k&n race filter/ velocity stack. nitrous system with 60 shot. activated at 90%throttle. it was geared real low. stretched/ lowered/ tires carbon fiber pieces and bunch of other crap. and custom dyno tuned
Did you buy the bike completely stock? Dealer or private?
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorF25

Did you buy the bike completely stock? Dealer or private?
bought it 100% stock off the suzuki showroom floor. when the 09s came out
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
TaylorF25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126

bought it 100% stock off the suzuki showroom floor. when the 09s came out
With the deals that their offering right now on new bikes it's kinda hard to not think new
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorF25

With the deals that their offering right now on new bikes it's kinda hard to not think new
you dont want to buy a used bike man. its way to easy to fix them up and make them look "fine" if a bikes been layed over/wrecked they get ****ed up bad.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
TaylorF25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 296
I think that's the best advice I've gotten from anyone yet. I'm deff going to look new
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorF25
I think that's the best advice I've gotten from anyone yet. I'm deff going to look new
good choice man. best time to buy a bike is during the winter since there sales are down they will cut great deals. but you can fine good deals during the summer also just have to look and compare prices.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
TaylorF25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 296
I appreciate all the help man, I'll pm you with any questions
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorF25
I appreciate all the help man, I'll pm you with any questions
anytime
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorF25
I'm trying to decide on a bike and need some opinions.... After watching hours of videos online and talking to countless people I have narrowed my search to Either a Honda Cbr 600 or Suzuki Gsxr 600. There are many positives and negatives about each but I figured I would ask some fellow drivers from the mustang community. With the many years of knowledge here im hoping to get some good feedback. Please let me know what you think, any personal experiences, anything at all. Thanks
Be American, buy American !!!!!!!!!
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Timm04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 540
Cbr 600 done deal
Timm04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Topless04GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Region: Ohio
Posts: 903
Re: Honda cbr or Suzuki gsxr?

NOOOOOO

get a BMW S1000RR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________

My girl... ehh, cars never leave you! stick to cars!
My name is Josh, Whats yours?
Topless04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
03GT88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 532
Honda shadow 750 ruthless
03GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:04 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
If your not an experienced rider buying new can be a major mistake. Like stated when a bike hits the ground it can get damaged pretty bad pretty fast. OEM plastic is retarded expensive.. Everyone has has an opinion no doubt, be sure to price full coverage insurance on what you want before you buy.. Personally I will never buy a new car or bike, mark up is way too high and there is NO 600 worth anywhere near 10k, especially vs what a 1000 can be had for.. You can buy a bike with 2-3k miles that's never been down or seen rain and save a lot of money... All sport bikes are tougher than ppl think and can take a pounding for a long time if serviced properly.. My 97 900RR has 36k.
If you plan on keeping whatever you buy for many years, buy a Honda and ride red.. Most dependable by far and the best all around performers year after year after year.. There is a reason Hondas generally cost a touch more and why Honda owners only ride Hondas.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:10 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
TaylorF25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
If your not an experienced rider buying new can be a major mistake. Like stated when a bike hits the ground it can get damaged pretty bad pretty fast. OEM plastic is retarded expensive.. Everyone has has an opinion no doubt, be sure to price full coverage insurance on what you want before you buy.. Personally I will never buy a new car or bike, mark up is way too high and there is NO 600 worth anywhere near 10k, especially vs what a 1000 can be had for.. You can buy a bike with 2-3k miles that's never been down or seen rain and save a lot of money... All sport bikes are tougher than ppl think and can take a pounding for a long time if serviced properly.. My 97 900RR has 36k.
If you plan on keeping whatever you buy for many years, buy a Honda and ride red.. Most dependable by far and the best all around performers year after year after year.. There is a reason Hondas generally cost a touch more and why Honda owners only ride Hondas.
36k on a bike is impressive, thanks man
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:33 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Many see 100-150k
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
TaylorF25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 296
Now since i'm still learning all the mechanical things about them, what should I check for when buying used? I know a mechanic would be best but I don't really have any motorcycle mechanic friends
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Tires, brakes, chain/sprockets are all cost of doing business maint like changing oil just less frequent. Valve adjustment is the major maint issue on any inline 4 sport bike, they use a bucket and shim design which requires adjustment periodically(sounds really bad(chattering). Not really expensive, couple hundred usually at the dealer and well worth it. No mechanic is not a huge deal, just bring a friend who will not be blinded by buying the bike and will be honest about its condition. Gf/wives are generally not a great idea, they will say whatever gets them where ever they really want to be fastest. Sticker on body work, stickers can hide stuff.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Re: Honda cbr or Suzuki gsxr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GT88 View Post
Honda shadow 750 ruthless
Hell yeah! My 83 was my first bike and it's great. She's got 21k miles now and I haven't replaced a thing except for a battery, stater and rear honda emblem. I ride it to work every day I can in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
If your not an experienced rider buying new can be a major mistake. Like stated when a bike hits the ground it can get damaged pretty bad pretty fast. OEM plastic is retarded expensive.. Everyone has has an opinion no doubt, be sure to price full coverage insurance on what you want before you buy.. Personally I will never buy a new car or bike, mark up is way too high and there is NO 600 worth anywhere near 10k, especially vs what a 1000 can be had for.. You can buy a bike with 2-3k miles that's never been down or seen rain and save a lot of money... All sport bikes are tougher than ppl think and can take a pounding for a long time if serviced properly.. My 97 900RR has 36k.
If you plan on keeping whatever you buy for many years, buy a Honda and ride red.. Most dependable by far and the best all around performers year after year after year.. There is a reason Hondas generally cost a touch more and why Honda owners only ride Hondas.
Good info...I agree that Honda is the best out there. I'm pro "America" and American brands big time but Honda bikes get my respect.
Harley's are awesome bikes but the dependability isn't there...the saying goes, if you ride a Harley, pack a bag of tools.

I don't know that I'd buy a new bike either...they are overly expensive and dealers really don't like to haggle up here. My old roomate from college just picked up an 06 cbr1000 for $5500 with 4k miles on it...only mod being a power commander. Race red and never layed down, well until he got it and did a week after he bought it..dumbass

Also imo always pay cash...never finance for a bike like a rocket..you'll play hell with the insurance if you lay it down and wreck it...I've had buddies that fought with their insurance companies and the end result was no check for their bike, so that means they had to foot the remainder of the loan, sucks big time.

I think a 600 is plenty of bike for a first time rider..in all reality you should start out with a 250 cruiser or rocket and then after some riding experience/riders' course/license get a higher cc bike..but that's up to you.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03

Hell yeah! My 83 was my first bike and it's great. She's got 21k miles now and I haven't replaced a thing except for a battery, stater and rear honda emblem. I ride it to work every day I can in the summer.

Good info...I agree that Honda is the best out there. I'm pro "America" and American brands big time but Honda bikes get my respect.
Harley's are awesome bikes but the dependability isn't there...the saying goes, if you ride a Harley, pack a bag of tools.

I don't know that I'd buy a new bike either...they are overly expensive and dealers really don't like to haggle up here. My old roomate from college just picked up an 06 cbr1000 for $5500 with 4k miles on it...only mod being a power commander. Race red and never layed down, well until he got it and did a week after he bought it..dumbass

Also imo always pay cash...never finance for a bike like a rocket..you'll play hell with the insurance if you lay it down and wreck it...I've had buddies that fought with their insurance companies and the end result was no check for their bike, so that means they had to foot the remainder of the loan, sucks big time.

I think a 600 is plenty of bike for a first time rider..in all reality you should start out with a 250 cruiser or rocket and then after some riding experience/riders' course/license get a higher cc bike..but that's up to you.
Obviously you don't own a Harley-Davidson. Best bikes on the market hands down by far. The reliability issues go back to the 70s, when Japan flooded our market with bikes cheaper than it cost them to makem.(government sponserd) . I have 7 of them and my 40yr old ,61 ci runs the 1/4 mile at 12.56 stock. Let's see the rest do that with a push rod motor. My buddys hand built Harley on nitro runs 8.0 in the 1/4 mile and still hasn't got the bugs worked out.

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

The reason your buddy couldn't get paid from insurance is because it was a POS !!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

Be American, buy American !!!!!!!!!
Bump
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Harley's are rattle traps and vastly over priced.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
TaylorF25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

Obviously you don't own a Harley-Davidson. Best bikes on the market hands down by far. The reliability issues go back to the 70s, when Japan flooded our market with bikes cheaper than it cost them to makem.(government sponserd) . I have 7 of them and my 40yr old ,61 ci runs the 1/4 mile at 12.56 stock. Let's see the rest do that with a push rod motor. My buddys hand built Harley on nitro runs 8.0 in the 1/4 mile and still hasn't got the bugs worked out.

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

The reason your buddy couldn't get paid from insurance is because it was a POS !!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------



Bump
Don't get me wrong I love buying American, but when it comes to street bikes I want something quick and sleek. I'm not saying harleys aren't quick but sport bikes almost dominate anything out there. (depending on what you buy)
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:34 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
On a 600RR or a GSX-R 600 you can have any Harley you want.. All I can tell you is good luck keeping up..
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:45 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Haha ,those yamagochys are Japanese junk. Not very many left 20yrs old. Ask your woman where she'd rather plant her pretty little fat ***. I know and It's not on a sack of riiiiiice As far as $$, It's like comparing a civic to a mustang.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
On a 600RR or a GSX-R 600 you can have any Harley you want.. All I can tell you is good luck keeping up..
My dads road king would eat a 600 up, stays neck and neck with the liter bikes as well. I wasn't expecting it to be a rocket as big as it is, but it's a whole lot more comfortable to ride than a rocket.

---------- Post added at 04:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4
Haha ,those yamagochys are Japanese junk. Not very many left 20yrs old. Ask your woman where she'd rather plant her pretty little fat ***. I know and It's not on a sack of riiiiiice As far as $$, It's like comparing a civic to a mustang.
You have to admit though, anything American is high maintenance compared to the Japanese counterparts.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
I'm not admitting to anything slo. The problem is ,people can't keep ther Dick skinners off them and clutter them up with art deco. The bike my ol lady rides is 22yrs old and still has the factory rivets in the points cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120520_060536.png
Views:	54
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	51096  
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
I sold this bike to a buddy for $5,500

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120520_060822.png
Views:	115
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	51097
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Both nice, I would take either of them over a rocket any day. My next bike will be american. And im not knocking Harley quality, just know that at 90,000 miles we've done a lot of work on my dads Harley to keep it up, same with the rest of the family's bikes.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang
Both nice, I would take either of them over a rocket any day. My next bike will be american. And im not knocking Harley quality, just know that at 90,000 miles we've done a lot of work on my dads Harley to keep it up, same with the rest of the family's bikes.
The 90 has 50k miles. I've put plugs and a starter on it. I wouldn't know about a Honda even lasting 90k mi. I really doubt it. I know of a couple Harleys with over 250k tho.

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

I would buy a kawasaki 900 from the 70s
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Plenty of Hondas over 150k

Www.cbrforum.com
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

My dads road king would eat a 600 up, stays neck and neck with the liter bikes as well. I wasn't expecting it to be a rocket as big as it is, but it's a whole lot more comfortable to ride than a rocket.

---------- Post added at 04:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 AM ----------



You have to admit though, anything American is high maintenance compared to the Japanese counterparts.
In a straight line I'm sure.. Not on the dragons tail or a road course. That's the real diff between the two.

It's nothing like comparing a civic to a mustang, unless your referring to the fact they are two diff kinds of bikes and cars. My wife doesn't care for cruisers.. Besides that she isn't climbing on either one honestly so that argument is mute to me.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
It's not maintenance on a Harley, it's a full time job you pay to do.. Parts rattling off at stop lights.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



11:53 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.