Do you relocate? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1
Do you relocate?

I'm kindof bored with my job (scratch the kindof part...). So I've been sortof halfway looking for a new one. I've got a company that wants to bring me on to help with the Navy's mine warfare simulation software. Job seems to be pretty neat and it pays a pretty hefty chunk more than I make now. The job, however, is in Panama City, FL. My immediate family and all my friends live here in North Alabama. I own a house (well, the bank does, technically) here in Huntsville and I've lived in the area almost all my life.

So, what do y'all think I should do? I'm looking for advice, insight, or anything else that might give me a little more clarity.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Do you relocate?

Relocating sucks. I've done it 3 times now. The last time being the biggest nightmare because I had a house in NY.

I would look at a couple things.

Are you ok with living in the new area? Would it be ok with you?

And...how is the house market right now for your house to sell? Or would you rent it out. Mine never sold in 4 years so I eventually just gave it back to the bank to deal with. 4 years of paying for that house and a home here sucked.

As for the job, I'm finding that I get burnt out after a while, then move to another position where it is exciting for a little while...then it all becomes the same again and get burnt out. I think I am reaching the end of my professional coding days as the only coding I like to do is at home on my own projects.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

also, some companies offer assistance for relocation. id talk to the person that hired you if they offer any services.

also, even though they pay more, is it a more expensive area? for example, im relocating to DC, but rent is $1500 for a 1BR 1BA (average).

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Sounds like a good job move. Panama City, FL isn't really that far away. see if they help with relocation cost or can hook you up with some type of housing. you might consider renting your house in Alabama

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Man your cost of living is gonna be hella more down there...

But, it's up to you. I'd rather make a litte less and stay somewhere I like rather than move that far away. Sure, you'd be making more but you'd also be bored off your ***.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

But we'd have a place for the next meet

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:31 AM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang View Post
But we'd have a place for the next meet
Good point.

So..yes, relocation is the thing to do.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

I would move in a heartbeart...i love to move around the different places...save for California (sorry Thomas, there are just too make things that are illegal there)
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via MSN to ChrissyStang02 Send a message via Yahoo to ChrissyStang02

Hey, change can be a VERY good thing sometimes and you never know how happy you'll be until you at least try it out, especially with the new job sounding so good and more $$. You can always visit (and have them visit as well) and if you end up hating it, you can always move back to Huntsville. Your true friends and family will be there for you, no matter what.

I would definitely take the chance, just follow your heart, it's worth it. And yeah, FL is expensive, but the job is better too. I would definitely go for it if you're feeling it's good for you! Personally, I'd definitely go for it.

2002 Mineral Gray Mustang GT ~Dominic~
MagnaFlow Catback Exhaust, CAI, Mach 1 Grille Delete and much more to come. ***Sold. New 5.0 GT coming soon!!!
ChrissyStang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

I'm relocating to the cali for summer, but I've got no house holding me here, I do have family but I have family out there, too

Personally I look forward to the change
Old 01-22-2008, 02:20 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I moved a bit away from home for a job. I had a full time job but not doing what I wanted and the pay I got for moving was 60% more. I would just weight the good/bad and factor in the cost of living etc etc.

A friend that works with me recently moved to NC for a job where she got 15k more a year than here. She is now comming back as the company is laying off people and such... and she hates. it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

I'd say that if the company is willing to pay you so much, then you should be able to negotiate them footing the bill for at least part of your relocation costs. Call it an "advance" if you like, they may be more comfortable with that... Then, put your house on the market, don't keep it if you're gonna move, that's a good way to get in trouble if the market keeps going south. If you do relocate, don't jump into a house right away, get yourself an apartment for 6 months or a year and see how you like the area and your new job. It might be that you won't, and if you have a house, you'll be tied down until you can sell it.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #13
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Don't go. Stay here. Problem solved.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I'm glad I relocated. I love my job and am now happily engaged.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:45 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
I'm glad I relocated. I love my job and am now happily engaged.
Wha wha what?? When did this go down?
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:47 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick

here is my opinion.

do what is going to make you happy. i know that sounds pathetic but here is my words of advice from experience. i moved north for 5 years, one to finish my degree at a school that I really wanted to go to, and two, to finally live on my own, learn how to be my own person, get a job, and get out of the town where i grew up. I was so eager to be somewhere new. I liked it, I really did BUT-----I really missed my family, my friends, my home. Everything led me back to where I am today. I have an apartment that I really do like, I'm near my family, and I love my job. There were pros and cons of both situations, but I found my heart to be in south jersey. I missed this and because of that, I came back.

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:58 PM   #17
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

I missed here too when I left.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via MSN to ChrissyStang02 Send a message via Yahoo to ChrissyStang02

+1 Nicole, that's exactly what I was saying too. Just do what makes you happy and if you think it's worth it, it's definitely worth a try, you can always go back if you don't like the new city or the new job.

2002 Mineral Gray Mustang GT ~Dominic~
MagnaFlow Catback Exhaust, CAI, Mach 1 Grille Delete and much more to come. ***Sold. New 5.0 GT coming soon!!!
ChrissyStang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer

I think you need to consider housing market, job enjoyment/ pay and .... but one thing no one has mentioned is the cost of driving in FL. I have a friend who just moved from FL and said gass prices were always high and insurance was nearly double that of what he pays here for the same coverage, he had an Isuzu rodeo. now if you had a mustang or another sports car I can only imagine youd be really f***ed. +$.02
Old 01-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT View Post
I would move in a heartbeart...i love to move around the different places...save for California (sorry Thomas, there are just too make things that are illegal there)
dude trust me, i hate living here. everything is brown (check sig), dusty and just ****ty. roads suck and are borderline turning into just dirt in places (which is why IRS is a must have for me), and English is turning into a second language, every billboard is spanish, all the minimum wage employees are talking se habla to eachother right in front of you, its just getting really bad.

i wanna move to Washington where its always raining or gloomy, im sick of sunshine 80* one day then piss poor the next, i want to live somewhere where the weather is predictable, IE i dress for rain in the morning and it rains the rest of the day, not i dress for rain in the morning and by lunch i need shorts and a tshirt and my car looks like ****!

what keeps me here? i have a HS diploma and will make $40K soon, im 23 and on my way to becoming outside sales (which means the harder i work the more money i make, IE Commission). my ex-boss that just left our company did the same i will do, work with this one to build experience, then move on and double my salary and make commission and work out of the coffee house all day and ride a motorcycle to jobsites to look at stuff and go "yep, that looks good" and go home for the day.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer

Washington is where I am going after July sometime. I used to live there and I loved it. so what if it rains atleast is always 40 - 60 degrgees and comfortable. Just be sure to stay away from heavily populated areas like Seattle, tacoma, etc. eastern WA is all brown too. Bellingham is near where I lived. awsome. roads are straight then curvy and so on. fun too drive!! NW WA is where its at!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar