Got a ticket - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh
Got a ticket

I just got pulled over in a 35 doing 73. Yea.

Well the cop clocked me doing 73.247 and apparently did it with a stopwatch. In the nature of offence box he checked other and wrote in Robic SC-808. I looked online and found out this is a stopwatch. A $70 stopwatch and I get a $204 fine.

It says the equipment was tested on the 21st and today is the 23rd. I have heard they need to test every day. But I'm not sure if this applies to only radar or if the stopwatch is included.

Do you think I have a chance to plead Not Guilty because of faulty equipment, goto court and plead down the speed to like 19 over so I don't lose my liscense for 2 weeks and and up with a huge fine?

Any other ways to maybe get out of this?

Old 01-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Got a ticket

How do you know when it was tested?
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Driving school, maybe? If not, you could always just go ahead and plead innocent, tell the judge you didn't think you were going that fast, and maybe it'll play out in your favor. The cop might not show up, or something. At least that gives you a chance.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

^ he has a good point, you have nothing to lose by pleading innocent. One of my teachers is a judge and there was a drunk driving case he had and the officer didnt show up so he dropped all charges.
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

wow...73 in a 35? Damn, you're lucky they let you drive away.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via MSN to ChrissyStang02 Send a message via Yahoo to ChrissyStang02

Know any cops or the police chief? I got out of some stupid a$$ parking tickets for a cop just being an a$$hole.

I would fight it if you think you can, at least the Judge may feel sorry for you and at least lower the fine and hopefully not take your license?? If you know for sure they're supposed to test the equip. every day, you might have something there.

If you can get out of it, or get it lowered, it's definitely worth trying for. Good luck!

2002 Mineral Gray Mustang GT ~Dominic~
MagnaFlow Catback Exhaust, CAI, Mach 1 Grille Delete and much more to come. ***Sold. New 5.0 GT coming soon!!!
ChrissyStang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick

negative on testing everyday. you may be able to plead it down, but with a ticket like that, most likely you are going to get screwed

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

just suck it up and pay... be glad you didnt go to jail. Also 50 over in most states if a felony.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

^thats correct. you should also be happy you didn't get a reckless ticket.

Modified 2004 V6
Old 01-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorachick View Post
^thats correct. you should also be happy you didn't get a reckless ticket.
If he goes to court and argues against the calibration of the measuring device the officer can always amend the charges to reckless/careless driving...

Just something to remember. Never piss a cop off in front of a judge...
Our's:
Old 01-23-2008, 03:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to topless67 Send a message via Yahoo to topless67

How old are you? Own up: you were going WAY too fast. Most people speed some (like 5-10 over) but that is excessive. You are lucky he let you drive away. Maybe the consequences will teach you a lesson.
topless67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
Also 50 over in most states if a felony.
Whats that got to do with anything? He was only going 38 over...which is still A LOT lol...

In any event, just pay the ticket and be done with it...A 2 week license suspension will be a joke and over with before you know it...73 in a 35, you should have gotten a reckless driving ticket and taken to jail for more than doubling the speed limit...You may not have been going exactly 73, but even if there was error in his system, say 10 mph in either direction, you were still going 28 over which is still rather excessive...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:02 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

Assuming he used the odometer that measures in 0.01 mile increments, and the stop watch measures .01 second increments, you could argue that he attempted to imply that he knew, without a shadow of a doubt, your speed to the 1/1000 of a mile per hour, which is far more accurate than his measuring devices can accurately measure and get the ticket thrown out for being complete BS.

You could also obtain the length of time and/or distance he clocked you for, calculate the percent uncertainty, and argue that your actual speed could be xx% inaccurate from what he ticketed you for an get it knocked down again.

Hey, its worth a shot......
Old 01-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #14
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64 View Post
Assuming he used the odometer that measures in 0.01 mile increments, and the stop watch measures .01 second increments, you could argue that he attempted to imply that he knew, without a shadow of a doubt, your speed to the 1/1000 of a mile per hour, which is far more accurate than his measuring devices can accurately measure and get the ticket thrown out for being complete BS.

You could also obtain the length of time and/or distance he clocked you for, calculate the percent uncertainty, and argue that your actual speed could be xx% inaccurate from what he ticketed you for an get it knocked down again.

Hey, its worth a shot......
Or, like others said, own up to the fact that you got caught excessively speeding, and take responsibility for your actions, something that no one seems to know how to do any more.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

On the ticket it tells you when the equipment was last tested.

He timed me for .047 miles and 2.31 seconds.

I am going to push back the court date a few times and just hope the cop forgets about it and my case altogether. then maybe I can get it thrown out since he didn't show up.

Seems to be my only hope, I can't afford this ticket or the insurance. Coulda been worse, atleast I wasn't racing.

I don't think any of you are completely innocent of speeding, I was on a rural road and a wide open area, he just happened to be sitting behind a billboard today. I wasn't endangering anyone but myself. I know it's not an excuse that will hold up in court but point being, i was in control, being as safe as possible on public roads, and I don't think I should be penalized this heavily for having the urge for an adrenaline rush.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

But..you were speeding...

I got a ticket last week...guess what...I'm paying it...go figure lol. Yupp, I was speeding, damn I got caught. O well time to pay.
Our's:
Old 01-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

^at least in MS you don't get points for your tickets though

Modified 2004 V6
Old 01-23-2008, 06:22 PM   #18
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiljosh View Post
On the ticket it tells you when the equipment was last tested.

He timed me for .047 miles and 2.31 seconds.

I am going to push back the court date a few times and just hope the cop forgets about it and my case altogether. then maybe I can get it thrown out since he didn't show up.

Seems to be my only hope, I can't afford this ticket or the insurance. Coulda been worse, atleast I wasn't racing.

I don't think any of you are completely innocent of speeding, I was on a rural road and a wide open area, he just happened to be sitting behind a billboard today. I wasn't endangering anyone but myself. I know it's not an excuse that will hold up in court but point being, i was in control, being as safe as possible on public roads, and I don't think I should be penalized this heavily for having the urge for an adrenaline rush.
I never said I was innocent of speeding, I have, however, never been ticketed.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8r View Post
I never said I was innocent of speeding, I have, however, never been ticketed.
You are dumb as ****. You just jinxed yourself hardcore.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Nate, point me to the part in my post where I directly targeted you and then ask me if I care.

I do get points in PA thats why I need to fight this down as much as possible. I don't mind the 204 bucks for the ticket as much as the rise in my rates for the next 2 years or so. I don't know the points I'll be getting for the ticket but if my liscense is suspended I get it back with 6 points on it automatically. That right there is a year and a half of good behavior before they are cleared...
Old 01-23-2008, 07:26 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

Quote:
I don't think I should be penalized this heavily for having the urge for an adrenaline rush.
You were going 40 over the speed limit. Were you just expecting a warning when you got pulled over? Personally, I think you got off fairly easy. Only a $200 fine? Last week, I got a $200 ticket for just going 15 miles over the limit. If I were you, i'd just be thankful I didnt get hauled off to jail
chris098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:26 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

I get points on my work record...enough traffic related incidents (including no-fault and other party fault accidents) and I lose my job. Trust me, it matters to me just as much.

Yeh...I'm gonna try and get out of it, but when it comes down to it I'm guilty of it lol. Pretty much, talk to the court and see what your options are...beg for mercy, worked for me before...then again I had my license taken before too so yeh...
Our's:
Old 01-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang

here in Indiana anything over 20mph ur going to not drive away... I would just pay it off.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #24
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

As pricky as the PA cops are...I still can't believe he got to drive away. Must have been a city cop and not a trooper....I know PA troopers are real ******** first hand.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:50 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

im lucky then, i got pulled over for racing and clocked at 85 in a 35, no ticket just a warning.
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

Quote:
I do get points in PA thats why I need to fight this down as much as possible. I don't mind the 204 bucks for the ticket as much as the rise in my rates for the next 2 years or so. I don't know the points I'll be getting for the ticket but if my liscense is suspended I get it back with 6 points on it automatically. That right there is a year and a half of good behavior before they are cleared...
Its actually longer than that, they only erase 2 pts a year off your license....my buddy got pulled over on the PA turnpike for 91 in a 65 and he got a $250 ticket and 5 points, so i think you got off rather easy for 73 in a 35....his was a state trooper who was a complete dickhead though.
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 PM   #27
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Nate, point me to the part in my post where I directly targeted you and then ask me if I care.
Haha. Point to me the part where I said you targeted me and ask me if I care. You said:

Quote:
I don't think any of you are completely innocent of speeding
And I was simply confirming that, indeed, I am not innocent of speeding, but that I have not been ticketed for it yet. If I had been or ever am ticketed for speeding, and I was speeding, then I wouldn't ***** about something I did wrong and fess up and pay. You are in the wrong. Plain and simple. Be a man, own up to your mistake, and slow down some. As the old saying goes, "If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen."
Old 01-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

**** the holier-than-thou's, man. If you can get out of it, or get it reduced, or keep it off your record, do that ****. You'd be stupid not to.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:58 PM   #29
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
**** the holier-than-thou's, man. If you can get out of it, or get it reduced, or keep it off your record, do that ****. You'd be stupid not to.
I'm not trying to be "holier than thou" I am just sick of all this "ZOMG I got a ticket because I was driving in excess of the posted speed limit, just like the law says, how do I get out of this???" whiny bull**** that everyone tries to pull now a days. He was going over TWICE the posted limit. That is unsafe to him and anyone around. Everyone of you would be singing a different story if he had hit someone. Don't give me that ****.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:08 AM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishers Stang View Post
here in Indiana anything over 20mph ur going to not drive away... I would just pay it off.
seriously? so 85 in a 65 you get impounded? i would imagine its officers discretion or something correct? that sucks, 85 is freaking childs play in any car, even freaking hybrids can do 85 with little effort!

Kiljosh i cant believe they ticketed you with a stopwatch, man that sucks hardcore. though i could see trying to get out of it if it was a BS ticket like doing 40 in a 35 and the cop was singling you out because of your car, but man, you were doubling the limit, even to the naked eye it was a bit obvious. and yes, just because you feel the need for an "adrenalin rush" doesnt mean you have to act on it, especially in a 35mph zone, thats basically residential here. ive been ticketed 4 times, 2 of which are on my record forevar. law is the law and all that jazz, but sometimes you just have to fess up, see you did wrong, pay your dues and move on. pay it and take traffic school. if you can, do the online courses, they are a joke. here in cali we do a 5 section, 10 question quiz. i just fill in random answers, click submit, then see which ones are wrong, press back, fix them, and submit till they are all correct then move on. at the end, you have to do the 45 question written exam, sometimes you have to go to a DMV to take it, which you just take them the online course completion thing and they know whats up. also some UPS or Kinkos stores can let you take the written exam and mail it in to the DMV with your online class completion certificate as well.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:48 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang

yeah its up to the officer but most of the time 20 over ur going to get it.. our highways are now 70mph out side of "citys" so like here behind my house its 65 till you get out of Fishers town limits then its 70. the loop around indy is 55mph with metro cops and troopers sitting about every 5 miles..
Old 01-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #32

well i'll share my expirence,my first and only ticket:
in nov 2006 i was in my 94 grand marquis just crusin at like 85-90 i had accellerated to i say about 100-120mph to pass a few cars(don't know how fast exactly cuz the speedo only went to 85mph) and i see this cop start to pull out from his hiding spot and once i saw him i hit the brakes and he clocks me 96mph in a 65.Not only did i get a speeding ticket,i got a reckless driving ticket and a ticket for past due registration cuz i had the car only 3 weeks and i had bought the car from a used car lot and i was gonna trade the car in THAT day cuz i couldn't handle the gas my lead foot was causing me.the tally hit 591 bucks and when the prosicutor asked me what was i doing going that fast i couldn't say nothing but i didn't realize i was going that fast.but i ended up getting 4 points on my liscense,took a defensive driving course which knocked 2 points off and a year of good driving erased all of my points
Old 01-25-2008, 09:20 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

im suprised they didnt start shooting at you with a speed like that haha.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:48 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Yeah man I am pretty sure you are not going to get out of that one, just suck it up and pay! I have pretty heavy lead foot a few years ago, so I am not pointing any finugres, but I also just fess up pay the fines and move on!
New Baby:
1989 5.0 5spd Great plans for this monster!
afinley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:07 AM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILUTION GhosT View Post
well i'll share my expirence,my first and only ticket:
in nov 2006 i was in my 94 grand marquis just crusin at like 85-90 i had accellerated to i say about 100-120mph to pass a few cars(don't know how fast exactly cuz the speedo only went to 85mph) and i see this cop start to pull out from his hiding spot and once i saw him i hit the brakes and he clocks me 96mph in a 65.Not only did i get a speeding ticket,i got a reckless driving ticket and a ticket for past due registration cuz i had the car only 3 weeks and i had bought the car from a used car lot and i was gonna trade the car in THAT day cuz i couldn't handle the gas my lead foot was causing me.the tally hit 591 bucks and when the prosicutor asked me what was i doing going that fast i couldn't say nothing but i didn't realize i was going that fast.but i ended up getting 4 points on my liscense,took a defensive driving course which knocked 2 points off and a year of good driving erased all of my points
in jersey though, that will show up on your history forever. in fact, when my officers pull someone over, they always ask for the last few things in the driver's history.

Modified 2004 V6

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar