Scam mechanics - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Scam mechanics

So a mechanic that's suppost to be my dads old long time friend was going to do a engine and tranny swap on my mustang . He took out the engine and said he found a 5.0 engine that was great. My dad had a bad feeling about something so he went to his shop and turns out this scumbag just took apart the old engine and was going to put it back into the car. My dad confronted him and he totally lied. Me and my dad are pissed! He tried to scam us.
BeasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Scam mechanics

Yes, you do have to watch out for people like that its sad too esp with friends. I work on cars for a side hobby and when I find a issue I show the owner esp if the part is going to be high I will bring them different prices on paper from that parts place. I bet his price was high as hell too esp the labor, my labor is based upon the job and not how long it takes. I'm in it to help people out that are on a budget and make a little cash on the side but not to lie or rip them off. I really had to see someone like that scam other folks because they are shade tree mech and want to make a killing off of people. I even had a mech/car salesmen try to sell me a 01 mustang v6 saying it had a 5.0 in it. I was like dude your crazy and im calling the BBB and reporting you. Im not sure if you have the BBB around your area but I would call them and report that guy....so noone else gets scamed.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

What a friend? With friends like that, who needs enemies. Atleast u caught on before it was to late. Damn liars, I hate em.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I agree completely...
Old 05-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

why you dont let people do side jobs for you, they have no business and generally if something bad happens you get screwed. Pay more get MUCH more
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
why you dont let people do side jobs for you, they have no business and generally if something bad happens you get screwed. Pay more get MUCH more
yea, thats true but if that person thats doing the side jobs is well known for doing good work then I dont see why not.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt
What a friend? With friends like that, who needs enemies. Atleast u caught on before it was to late. Damn liars, I hate em.
+1
480 rwhp 450 # of torque
Mmustang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:53 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
This mechanic was our long time mechanic he did great jobs on all the cars and then my dad lost contact with him then recently he ran across him and he did this job on the car and we find all this out.
My dad mom and me sure gave him a earful he said he was so sorry and all this bs we told him that if the car dosnt come out how he promised then all his costumers will sure hear that hes a horrible scam mechanic!
BeasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Performance shops are the worst at screwing you over and also shops and even dealerships. Just got to watch out and try to do as much stuff by yourself. I recently learned i will not let anyone touch my cars unless its only for tuning and if i cant do something if i cant watch or help do it or check up periodically it will not get done.

I had bad experience with inlaw mechanics, performance shops (recent on my cobra), and salemen( father bought car and dealer lied about everything on it). You live and learn to become stronger and a watchful person over things like that whether its your car or someone's close to you.
Richtq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:48 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtq View Post
Performance shops are the worst at screwing you over and also shops and even dealerships. Just got to watch out and try to do as much stuff by yourself. I recently learned i will not let anyone touch my cars unless its only for tuning and if i cant do something if i cant watch or help do it or check up periodically it will not get done.

I had bad experience with inlaw mechanics, performance shops (recent on my cobra), and salemen( father bought car and dealer lied about everything on it). You live and learn to become stronger and a watchful person over things like that whether its your car or someone's close to you.
I can agree with that, I worked a dealership as a line tech and it was stupid on how much they charged to do something. So if it was way over priced I ever cut down on the labor time or gave them my number and told them to call me and i would do the work for half or a reasonable price to help them out. Thats why i got out of the dealership field and did something else. If something went wrong instead of them being screwed, like the part going bad, not how it was install I would help them out and replace it with a better part and no labor involved. So there are some good people out there trust me.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Stealership services
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
This is why I do all of my own work lol
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:20 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Alignment shop dude wanted to charge me 800 for camber plates,,, he almost got choked through the phone

---------- Post added at 12:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbill2003
This is why I do all of my own work lol
So much more rewarding when you do
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Alignment shop dude wanted to charge me 800 for camber plates,,, he almost got choked through the phone
They wanted to charge you 800 bucks to install them and do a alignment?
Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

They wanted to charge you 800 bucks to install them and do a alignment?
Yeah right that was just for the parts. I think he found gold ones from west coast customs
{Never Enough HP}
Old 06-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #16
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
I got 2 excellent shops that I use. I got 2 good dealers near by. But usually I fix things myself. The Mustang is an easy car to work on.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Wow it sucks working in this type of business because you always are perceived as the bad guy because of pricks like this.

I always warranty our work, cars, free inspections, no dealer prep fees and free oil changes for a year. So far all my customers are happy no complaints knock on wood.
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50
Wow it sucks working in this type of business because you always are perceived as the bad guy because of pricks like this.

I always warranty our work, cars, free inspections, no dealer prep fees and free oil changes for a year. So far all my customers are happy no complaints knock on wood.
Where is this lovely place where customers are treated right? Where oh where can it be
{Never Enough HP}
Old 06-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

ive found a mustang shop that does good work and they are honest and also mustang owners/modifiers. so far so good with them
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch

Where is this lovely place where customers are treated right? Where oh where can it be
Long island NY

Two of our techs here drive stangs a 5.0 and a mach1. We like mustangs here and other stangs are welcome.
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50

Long island NY

Two of our techs here drive stangs a 5.0 and a mach1. We like mustangs here and other stangs are welcome.
Ahh too far =`{…
Nice wish I had some mustang mechanic freaks down here, got my two mechanics; never failed me
{Never Enough HP}
Old 06-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch

---------- Post added at 12:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

So much more rewarding when you do
100% agree and it saves you alot
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah right that was just for the parts. I think he found gold ones from west coast customs
holy crap...I would have punched dude in the face for being retarded....

A exhaust shop said they would charge me $700 bucks for install of my long tube headers on my cobra and thats him jacking the engine up from what I was told. $700 bucks for that, yea right I can do it easier then that dropping the kmember and saying my money.

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
ive found a mustang shop that does good work and they are honest and also mustang owners/modifiers. so far so good with them
Yeah I have one around my area that is trustworthy, has a great knowledge of mustang esp 4.6 and only deal with mustang. Their prices are fair and reasonable but the only down fall is they STAY busy to where they sometimes have to turn work down on the mech side. They also tune cars and is reasonable about the price too....
Old 06-28-2012, 01:03 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

holy crap...I would have punched dude in the face for being retarded....

A exhaust shop said they would charge me $700 bucks for install of my long tube headers on my cobra and thats him jacking the engine up from what I was told. $700 bucks for that, yea right I can do it easier then that dropping the kmember and saying my money.

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

Yeah I have one around my area that is trustworthy, has a great knowledge of mustang esp 4.6 and only deal with mustang. Their prices are fair and reasonable but the only down fall is they STAY busy to where they sometimes have to turn work down on the mech side. They also tune cars and is reasonable about the price too....
Hot Dayum Damn shops think they rule the world. May take a little longer an even frustrating but way cheaper and you know what was done, if I had the skills time an place my babes would never be in a shop
{Never Enough HP}
Old 06-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hot Dayum Damn shops think they rule the world. May take a little longer an even frustrating but way cheaper and you know what was done, if I had the skills time an place my babes would never be in a shop
yea, I agree the mustang shop that I usu use said they would do it for 400 dropping the k member but they arent accepting mech work right now and it would be mid sept before they could do it. I will be home in aug and have three weeks of nothing to do so I can manage to put them on then.

The shop that quote me 700 was a exhaust shop and im not sure he has ever done it before.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

yea, I agree the mustang shop that I usu use said they would do it for 400 dropping the k member but they arent accepting mech work right now and it would be mid sept before they could do it. I will be home in aug and have three weeks of nothing to do so I can manage to put them on then.

The shop that quote me 700 was a exhaust shop and im not sure he has ever done it before.
Damn no kidding on the backed up. Bam perfect timing. Maybe that's why they went so high, still a big no no
{Never Enough HP}
Old 06-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Damn no kidding on the backed up. Bam perfect timing. Maybe that's why they went so high, still a big no no
yeah you are prolly right thats why they went that high...
Old 07-04-2012, 01:35 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Had a shifter installed and I asked them to check my brakes, when I went to pick up the car he told me I needed new rotors and that was causing the shaking..... To bad I never said anything about shaking, I told them they felt mushy. I changed the brake pads and now its fine. Money hungry shops really grind my gears lol.
dray492 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar