Scam mechanics - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
BeasGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: California
Posts: 488
Scam mechanics

So a mechanic that's suppost to be my dads old long time friend was going to do a engine and tranny swap on my mustang . He took out the engine and said he found a 5.0 engine that was great. My dad had a bad feeling about something so he went to his shop and turns out this scumbag just took apart the old engine and was going to put it back into the car. My dad confronted him and he totally lied. Me and my dad are pissed! He tried to scam us.
BeasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-31-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,291
Re: Scam mechanics

Yes, you do have to watch out for people like that its sad too esp with friends. I work on cars for a side hobby and when I find a issue I show the owner esp if the part is going to be high I will bring them different prices on paper from that parts place. I bet his price was high as hell too esp the labor, my labor is based upon the job and not how long it takes. I'm in it to help people out that are on a budget and make a little cash on the side but not to lie or rip them off. I really had to see someone like that scam other folks because they are shade tree mech and want to make a killing off of people. I even had a mech/car salesmen try to sell me a 01 mustang v6 saying it had a 5.0 in it. I was like dude your crazy and im calling the BBB and reporting you. Im not sure if you have the BBB around your area but I would call them and report that guy....so noone else gets scamed.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
jdavis96gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,014
Re: Scam mechanics

What a friend? With friends like that, who needs enemies. Atleast u caught on before it was to late. Damn liars, I hate em.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,291
Re: Scam mechanics

I agree completely...
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Scam mechanics

why you dont let people do side jobs for you, they have no business and generally if something bad happens you get screwed. Pay more get MUCH more
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,291
Re: Scam mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
why you dont let people do side jobs for you, they have no business and generally if something bad happens you get screwed. Pay more get MUCH more
yea, thats true but if that person thats doing the side jobs is well known for doing good work then I dont see why not.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mmustang01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt
What a friend? With friends like that, who needs enemies. Atleast u caught on before it was to late. Damn liars, I hate em.
+1
__________________
01 gt
Procharger d1
Mmr long block
480 rwhp 450 # of torque
Mmustang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:53 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
BeasGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: California
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
why you dont let people do side jobs for you, they have no business and generally if something bad happens you get screwed. Pay more get MUCH more
This mechanic was our long time mechanic he did great jobs on all the cars and then my dad lost contact with him then recently he ran across him and he did this job on the car and we find all this out.
My dad mom and me sure gave him a earful he said he was so sorry and all this bs we told him that if the car dosnt come out how he promised then all his costumers will sure hear that hes a horrible scam mechanic!
BeasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Virginia
Posts: 23
Re: Scam mechanics

Performance shops are the worst at screwing you over and also shops and even dealerships. Just got to watch out and try to do as much stuff by yourself. I recently learned i will not let anyone touch my cars unless its only for tuning and if i cant do something if i cant watch or help do it or check up periodically it will not get done.

I had bad experience with inlaw mechanics, performance shops (recent on my cobra), and salemen( father bought car and dealer lied about everything on it). You live and learn to become stronger and a watchful person over things like that whether its your car or someone's close to you.
Richtq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:48 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,291
Re: Scam mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtq View Post
Performance shops are the worst at screwing you over and also shops and even dealerships. Just got to watch out and try to do as much stuff by yourself. I recently learned i will not let anyone touch my cars unless its only for tuning and if i cant do something if i cant watch or help do it or check up periodically it will not get done.

I had bad experience with inlaw mechanics, performance shops (recent on my cobra), and salemen( father bought car and dealer lied about everything on it). You live and learn to become stronger and a watchful person over things like that whether its your car or someone's close to you.
I can agree with that, I worked a dealership as a line tech and it was stupid on how much they charged to do something. So if it was way over priced I ever cut down on the labor time or gave them my number and told them to call me and i would do the work for half or a reasonable price to help them out. Thats why i got out of the dealership field and did something else. If something went wrong instead of them being screwed, like the part going bad, not how it was install I would help them out and replace it with a better part and no labor involved. So there are some good people out there trust me.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #11
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Stealership services
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
garbill2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 914
This is why I do all of my own work lol
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:20 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Alignment shop dude wanted to charge me 800 for camber plates,,, he almost got choked through the phone

---------- Post added at 12:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbill2003
This is why I do all of my own work lol
So much more rewarding when you do
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,291
Re: Scam mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Alignment shop dude wanted to charge me 800 for camber plates,,, he almost got choked through the phone
They wanted to charge you 800 bucks to install them and do a alignment?
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

They wanted to charge you 800 bucks to install them and do a alignment?
Yeah right that was just for the parts. I think he found gold ones from west coast customs
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #16
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
I got 2 excellent shops that I use. I got 2 good dealers near by. But usually I fix things myself. The Mustang is an easy car to work on.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Yellow50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 449
Wow it sucks working in this type of business because you always are perceived as the bad guy because of pricks like this.

I always warranty our work, cars, free inspections, no dealer prep fees and free oil changes for a year. So far all my customers are happy no complaints knock on wood.
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50
Wow it sucks working in this type of business because you always are perceived as the bad guy because of pricks like this.

I always warranty our work, cars, free inspections, no dealer prep fees and free oil changes for a year. So far all my customers are happy no complaints knock on wood.
Where is this lovely place where customers are treated right? Where oh where can it be
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Scam mechanics

ive found a mustang shop that does good work and they are honest and also mustang owners/modifiers. so far so good with them
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Yellow50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch

Where is this lovely place where customers are treated right? Where oh where can it be
Long island NY

Two of our techs here drive stangs a 5.0 and a mach1. We like mustangs here and other stangs are welcome.
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50

Long island NY

Two of our techs here drive stangs a 5.0 and a mach1. We like mustangs here and other stangs are welcome.
Ahh too far =`{…
Nice wish I had some mustang mechanic freaks down here, got my two mechanics; never failed me
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
garbill2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch
Alignment shop dude wanted to charge me 800 for camber plates,,, he almost got choked through the phone

---------- Post added at 12:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------



So much more rewarding when you do
100% agree and it saves you alot
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,291
Re: Scam mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Yeah right that was just for the parts. I think he found gold ones from west coast customs
holy crap...I would have punched dude in the face for being retarded....

A exhaust shop said they would charge me $700 bucks for install of my long tube headers on my cobra and thats him jacking the engine up from what I was told. $700 bucks for that, yea right I can do it easier then that dropping the kmember and saying my money.

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
ive found a mustang shop that does good work and they are honest and also mustang owners/modifiers. so far so good with them
Yeah I have one around my area that is trustworthy, has a great knowledge of mustang esp 4.6 and only deal with mustang. Their prices are fair and reasonable but the only down fall is they STAY busy to where they sometimes have to turn work down on the mech side. They also tune cars and is reasonable about the price too....
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:03 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

holy crap...I would have punched dude in the face for being retarded....

A exhaust shop said they would charge me $700 bucks for install of my long tube headers on my cobra and thats him jacking the engine up from what I was told. $700 bucks for that, yea right I can do it easier then that dropping the kmember and saying my money.

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------



Yeah I have one around my area that is trustworthy, has a great knowledge of mustang esp 4.6 and only deal with mustang. Their prices are fair and reasonable but the only down fall is they STAY busy to where they sometimes have to turn work down on the mech side. They also tune cars and is reasonable about the price too....
Hot Dayum Damn shops think they rule the world. May take a little longer an even frustrating but way cheaper and you know what was done, if I had the skills time an place my babes would never be in a shop
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,291
Re: Scam mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Hot Dayum Damn shops think they rule the world. May take a little longer an even frustrating but way cheaper and you know what was done, if I had the skills time an place my babes would never be in a shop
yea, I agree the mustang shop that I usu use said they would do it for 400 dropping the k member but they arent accepting mech work right now and it would be mid sept before they could do it. I will be home in aug and have three weeks of nothing to do so I can manage to put them on then.

The shop that quote me 700 was a exhaust shop and im not sure he has ever done it before.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

yea, I agree the mustang shop that I usu use said they would do it for 400 dropping the k member but they arent accepting mech work right now and it would be mid sept before they could do it. I will be home in aug and have three weeks of nothing to do so I can manage to put them on then.

The shop that quote me 700 was a exhaust shop and im not sure he has ever done it before.
Damn no kidding on the backed up. Bam perfect timing. Maybe that's why they went so high, still a big no no
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,291
Re: Scam mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Damn no kidding on the backed up. Bam perfect timing. Maybe that's why they went so high, still a big no no
yeah you are prolly right thats why they went that high...
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:35 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
dray492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 85
Had a shifter installed and I asked them to check my brakes, when I went to pick up the car he told me I needed new rotors and that was causing the shaking..... To bad I never said anything about shaking, I told them they felt mushy. I changed the brake pads and now its fine. Money hungry shops really grind my gears lol.
dray492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



12:46 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.