Don't you hate this... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT
Don't you hate this...

Every general purpose automotive shop does this and it really pisses me off...If there is any nut, bolt, screw, etc. that needs to be tightened, just about EVERY shop uses an air gun to tighten them...and when they tighten them, they never adjust the torque settings, and they just crank them down as tight as that impact wrench will tighten them...Forget about the typical 50-100 ft-lb factory specs, they will torque anything they can down to 200, 300, hell even beyond the material limits of torque...

/rant

I bring this up because I had put on my new Koni adjustables over the weekend and took it to a shop to get the alignment done so i could get some negative camber (which I was able to get -1.5 degrees, woot!!!!)..In there alignment process, they, as usual, used an air gun to tighten down the nuts that hold the upper strut plate to the car's body in the tower....well, guess what, they torqued that bastard down beyond believe to the point that it sheared the stud completely in half...He went beyond the point of stripping, spinning, bending the stud...it just twisted completely in two...woohoo!!!

I was driving it home and it started rattling real bad...when i got into the driveway, i popped the hood and say that one of the 4 studs in the plate on the drivers side was gone...so i went back up to the shop and he admitted what happened and he put in a new stud free of charge...it was too late in the day or he would have put in a whole new OEM strut plate, but he couldnt get any from anywhere as it was 330 on a saturday afternoon, but he said that if i wanted the whole thing replaced in the future, that he would do it...so he was cool about it...

but that still pisses me off to no end that every shop everywhere does that same thing with the air impact wrenches...I see wheels studs get spun all the time with shops just torquing the hell out of lugnuts...and I know it has happened at least once to majority of the people on here, so i am sure you hate it too...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
Re: Don't you hate this...

shops are such crooks. it seems that if you dont have a personal connection, they are willing to screw up your car while raping your pocket.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Wait wait wait...he didn't tell you about it when you picked the car up??? I smell a crook...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Wait wait wait...he didn't tell you about it when you picked the car up??? I smell a crook...
I am not sure if he knew that he did it at the time or not...I brought the car back up there and he was like "oh, the stud must have cracked and broken off, and I didnt see it"...my guess is that he felt/saw the stud splitting and he was hoping that it would brake off sometime later so that i wouldnt notice or he wouldnt have to fix it...but the stud was definitely sheered completely off...you could see the jagged marks where is had been completely twisted in two...the base of the stud where it broke off was still peaking through the mounting hole...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
Old 02-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Damn That sucks

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #6

Region: California

That sucks! But not all shops are the same And not all mechanics are monkeys! I believe that you should treat a mechanic like you would a doctor.First make sure you have a good buisness relationship with him or her,that way you won't feel like they're taking advantage of you.Second,when you Do find a good mechanic,stick with them!!! The best customers are repeat customers.Often It's the customer that trys to play "lets make a deal" when it comes to prices of repairs & most mechanics HATE that.You wouldn't ask your doctor if he could do that surgery you need for less then he told you it would cost would you??? I think not. And third,if you do think that he or she IS trying to "screw" you
GET A SECOND OPINION!!! There are more good honest mechanics out there then there are ripoffs. You can't stay in buisness for long if you don't practice honesty.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

oh i agree completely, there are good and bad mechanics/shops out there...i am not saying that this place was a bad shop (they were recommended by someone), but my point is just that they need to quit tightening every bolt, screw, nut down so damn tight with air compressed impacts wrenches...it's a pet peave for mine to torque a bolt down to some ungodly amount to where you cant event get it off with a big *** breaker bar when the factory spec for the bolt was only 75 or 100 ft-lbs...

All shops use those air guns to tighten stuff down because it saves time which I understand, but there is no reason on earth to torque them down so much...thats what pisses me off...not the quality of their work...I am very picky about my mechanic too, and I do most work myself if and when I have the time to do so...but like i said, my gripe isnt with good or bad shops, its just that all shops good and bad over-torque things to a ridiculous degree and that irritates me...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar