Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

View Poll Results: Which describes you?
Not raised religious, still not religious. 3 14.29%
Not raised religious, now converted. 0 0%
Raised religious, still in same sect. 8 38.10%
Raised religious, now in a different sect. 2 9.52%
Raised religious, now not religious. 8 38.10%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1
Religion swappin?

I read an article a while ago about the number of Americans who are no longer affiliated with the religion in which they were raised. I'm just wondering how many of y'all are still affiliated with the religious sects that you were raised in...

Here's the article: Survey: Americans switching faiths, dropping out - CNN.com

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: Religion swappin?

Not I

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I am...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I'm more of a loner when it comes to religion. I don't really affiliate myself with one title...which is pretty much all it is anyhow. I was raised baptist, but, I don't give any of my money to any of the church businesses out there.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

i love religion, but i wouldnt say im religious. i just think its an interesting topic in an intellectual kind of way.

i was raised roman catholic, but would say im spiritually open and have my own ideas.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

I guess if you would label me, I would be Baptist, I was born and raised in Baptist churches. But I am really a Christian (even tho most of the time I don't live like one). I don't typically like religion, as it is man made and flawed. Being a Christian isn't about being in a certain religion, it is about your relationship with God, following His Word, and accepting Jesus as your savior. That is how I was raised and how I now believe from my own experiences, ect. So the simple answer is option 3, Raised and still in the same belief.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

^^^ Bingo...the rest is just a title.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

I was raised roman catholic ,went to roman catholic school for 10 years. But now I don't believe in orginized religion . IMO as long as you have a sence of whats right and wrong and believe somone is watching over you your good to go

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang View Post
I was raised roman catholic ,went to roman catholic school for 10 years. But now I don't believe in orginized religion . IMO as long as you have a sence of whats right and wrong and believe somone is watching over you your good to go
ive actually attended a world's religions course (as well as a few other religious courses) and the hindu belief is actually pretty cool too. there belief isnt that someone is watching you... its an inner judgement thing that we are all attuned to (not like existentialism) and that selflessness is the key to inner peace. i just wanted to add that a belief like that is good as well in addition to believing that a deity is watching you.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Aidan_04

raised Southern Baptist, still Southern Baptist.. maybe minus a few of the more 'rigid' restrictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR View Post
^^^my fave V8 chick ^^^
Aidan_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:43 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well from the time I was about 5th grade until I graduated high school I went to a Nazarene church. I still hold many of the beliefs but I don't. I do not like organized religion for various reasons, but if I do go to church it still is a Nazarene church. I didnt vote because i didn't know where I really fall into.

Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer

I am athiest and believe in science!! I do like religion because its interesting and guides so many people. I was in a christian family but never raised by the book or anything. so no religion bfore and no religion now...
Old 02-26-2008, 11:06 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

"Raised religious, now in a different sect." should probably be "Raised religious, not in the same sect." or something similiar. To cover the people who still feel that they are religious, but not associated with the same church that they were raised in.

I like turtles.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:49 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Raised Christian, now a Buntist.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer

^^ buntists must belive in themselves..
Old 02-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

Raised Christian/Catholic, went to Catholic school, now Atheist.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Jesus is Lord. He is calling his elect out of the church as Satan is ruling all the churches now. We are in the end times. It is stated in Revelations about Satan ruling the church. To God be the Glory. GGBIW:patriot::worship:
2008 Ford Harley F350 V10 4X4 Crew Cab
2004 Harley FLHT with 120 cubic inch Jims Stroker
2007 Harley 1250cc Screaming Eagle Vrod
ggbiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:28 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Do what?

I like turtles.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:40 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

What, you haven't heard yet? It's the end of times man.

Scary stuff.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:17 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
What, you haven't heard yet? It's the end of times man.
Again?

I like turtles.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:22 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
Again?
yeah, it happens every few fiscal years or so... especially when in a recession.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Those of you that think I am speaking Foley, I will post the scripture that shows that if you are willing to open the Holy Bible. Any taker's? GGBIW:worship:
Old 03-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggbiw View Post
Those of you that think I am speaking Foley, I will post the scripture that shows that if you are willing to open the Holy Bible. Any taker's? GGBIW:worship:
Sure, why not. Show us The Light and The Way.

Scary stuff.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Praise God that you have asked that. Every Sunday I will post scripture and during the week you can post scripture that says I'm wrong. The Holy Bible is the Authority. Agreed? GGBIW
Old 03-02-2008, 12:23 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Not raised not now think its a waste of time.
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:49 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknbronco View Post
Not raised not now think its a waste of time.
Waste of time? Eternity is NOT a waste of time. You don't have to "Waste" your time but I'll bet a dollar to a donut you will read every post. Mark my words. GGBIW
Old 03-02-2008, 01:59 AM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Waste of time? Eternity is NOT a waste of time. You don't have to "Waste" your time but I'll bet a dollar to a donut you will read every post. Mark my words. GGBIW
it's your opinion. everyone is entitled to it. as ridiculous as it may sound of someone not believing in your religion, it may sound just as ridiculous to others when they view your religion.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:15 AM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

some history on the creation of christianity

Quote:
Christianity begins with the preachings of Jesus of Galilee, who lived during the times of the Sadduccees, Pharisees, and Essenes. His perspective seems to have drawn from all three of the prevailing versions of Judaism, while not completely conforming to any one of them. At a time when there was heated debate over the importance, goals, and practices of Judaism, Jesus' approach attracted Jewish followers. The first followers of Jesus were Jews who valued his teaching style and presence, Jews who thought his version of Judaism addressed their needs. These people saw themselves as Jews who were following a version of Judaism that seemed suitable to the times and that "touched them."

Paul, however, changes this. He might be said to begin the process of transforming Christianity into a religion that is not Judaism. The new Christianity that eventually comes to be is one that reaches out to all people and thus becomes characterized by an emphasis on proselytizing.

To attract converts, Christianity rejects some of the most fundamental aspects of Judaism and, in particular, Halacha. Eventually, Christianity claims to have superseded and to have replaced Judaism; Christianity claims that Judaism is no longer needed.

These processes result in a religion that, unlike Judaism, sees itself as universalistic. Judaism, on the other hand, is a particularistic religion. Judaism is the religion of a specific people, with a specific history and national homeland. It was possible for others-for non-Jews-to join the Jewish people, to become Jews, but they would be changing their peoplehood, their ethnicity as well as their religion. This was not the case for those who would convert to Christianity (or to Islam).

Yet, during the first centuries of its existence, Christianity was not well-established as a separate religion. Christianity was still developing its theology, its sacred texts and traditions, and its identity. Early "Christian" congregations read different texts from one another; their practices varied; and, their senses of connectedness to Jewish congregations varied. Some of these congregations might, in retrospect, be considered Jewish-Christians, some Christian-Jews, and some clearly were one rather than the other.

Early Christians and Jews during the first centuries of the Common Era shared a number of practices, beliefs, and social conditions. Both proselytized, were oppressed by the Roman Empire, believed in monotheism, accepted the Tanach as a sacred text, and advocated for social justice. Both were religions without a state (though Judaism was associated with previous states), and both had adherents who lived throughout the Roman Empire. After the Bar Kochba defeat, the members of both religions tended to be relatively poor and to have relatively low status within the Roman Empire.

Such similarities made it difficult, at first, to differentiate between (to "identify") a Jew and a Christian. Christianity, as the newer and less established of the two, had to persuade Jews and non-Jews that it was a legitimate successor to Judaism.

This sort of competition for members led some early Christians to portray Jews in negative ways. The Christian Gospels describe Jews as seeking or responsible for Jesus' crucifixion-though Rome ruled Judea at the time-and portray Judas (note the similarity to the term "Judean") as Jesus' betrayer.

As part of the processes of justifying Christianity and gaining adherents, early Christians made the claim that Christianity had superseded Judaism. Thus, they were faced with the need to explain why so many Jews continued to remain Jewish. This may explain the anti-Jewish vitriol found in the writings of some early Christians (e.g., (Saint) John Chrysostom and (Saint)1 Jerome of the 4th century C.E. Byzantine Empire)-they often argued that Jews are evil, vile, wrongheaded, or incapable of understanding the "truer" truth of Christianity.

The predominant Christian attitude toward the Jews, though, became that of (Saint) Augustine (also living in the Byzantine Empire during the 4th and early 5th centuries C.E.). Augustine argued that Jews should not be killed because they were, at one time, chosen by the divine. Instead, attempts should be made to convert them to Christianity. But, should they resist, should they be obstinate and remain Jewish, then their lives should be made difficult. It might be said that Augustine was arguing that Jews should be held responsible for the ill-advised decision to remain Jewish and that the way to hold them responsible was to deny them the benefits of Christian society.

When the Roman and then the Byzantine Empires became Christian, the consequences of Christian attitudes toward the Jews turned increasingly negative and severe. At that point, under Emperor Constantine and most of the emperors who followed, state-level restrictions began to be applied to Jews. When Christianity became a state religion, the state, for example:

* Forbade marriage between Jews and Christians
* Forbade Jews from holding public office
* Forbade Jews from building synagogues (this was not always enforced)
* Forbade Jews from holding slaves (At the time, most farming drew on slaves. The prohibition on slaveholding among Jews made farming economically unfeasible for them and, as a result, Jews began to be forced off the land and into cities.)

To be Jewish under these circumstances often meant having to leave behind one's autonomy, the dignity associated with an unfettered expression of one's beliefs, and the right to participate in the governance of one's land.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:07 AM   #29
Regular

Quote:
Praise God that you have asked that. Every Sunday I will post scripture and during the week you can post scripture that says I'm wrong. The Holy Bible is the Authority. Agreed? GGBIW
Asking someone to prove faith wrong is pointless. It's faith. With that said, I don't care what other people follow as a religion in their own time.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:09 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

No matter what any of use want to think, there is absolute truth. It is the Lord who calls his elect. The Holy Bible is the Lords word which became flesh and dwelt among us. To some the Lord gives understanding to his scriptures, to others it has no meaning or they do not comprehend. In the book of Daniel chapter 12 verse 9 the Lord tells Daniel that certain scripture will be sealed till the time of the end. The understanding of those scriptures is now being revealed to his elect. It is very important that you trust no mans interpretation of the Holy Bible. When I read it I humbly ask the Lord to grant me the wisdom to understand his Word. When you read the Holy Bible you are communing directly with the Lord. I say this with no reservation. To some, clearlight, to others a stumbling block. Only the Lord saves his elect and nothing will prevent him from calling his elect. To God be the Glory. GGBIW
Old 03-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

I agree. When I read The Bible, I feel like God is there with me, touching me and guiding me. It's like he is looking over my shoulder the entire time. I say this with no reservation either. We Buntists believe in a much more real, direct connection with God than most strains of Christianity.

Scary stuff.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Have you read where the Lord states I will never leave you or forsake you? In Revelation it speaks to the churches in the end times as well as Satan ruling them. In Mathew chapter 24 verse 15 it states the same. To God be the Glory. GGBIW
Old 03-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I will when its congruent to something I have posted on. I have tried it and it didnt work out for me three times everyone in a church seems to me to do worse than those not in one.
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Yeah I will when its congruent to something I have posted on. I have tried it and it didnt work out for me three times everyone in a church seems to me to do worse than those not in one.
and most of my friends who attended catholic schools ended up hating christianity due to their authoritarian teaching techniques and have a whole heap of trouble regarding drug use and alcoholism. scare tactics and violence usually backfire.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My first post on this subject I stated the Lord is calling his elect out of the church and that Satan is now ruling there. The Lord is also telling his elect to go to his Holy Bible and reveal to the World what he is showing you. It is not for us to Judge anyone as with the harshness we Judge will be how we are Judged. Trust no man's interpretation of the scriptures, rather ask the Lord he grant you wisdom to understand. He is calling his elect home. Those trusting in there church will be left behind when the rapture occurs to suffer 5 months of torment stated in Revelations chapter 9. To God be the Glory. GGBIW

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar