Eve Online - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2008, 06:22 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
Eve Online

Has anyone tried this game? It is a space MMO that is focused on economy and time based skill training rather than enemy grinding. Its a great MMO for those who can't dedicate a bunch of time to a game. I tried the 14 day free trial due to a friend's recommendation and I fell in love. Great game. Just wondering if anyone else plays.

If you are wondering more about the game's mechanics and stuff you can check out this blog I made to track my entries. Only 3 posts for now but you can get a quick idea of what the game is like.

Tales from the Eve Universe

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: Eve Online

Is it a game you can play by yourself and not have to have groups or clans to make it worth it?

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Is it a game you can play by yourself and not have to have groups or clans to make it worth it?
easily. mostly because there is no leveling. you could be a miner in high security space, run solo missions, be a solo pirate, be a trader, do contracted work, etc. its a neat game and people find ways around everything. for example, you can't kill people in high secuirty space or concord (the police) show up in a moment and kill them... however sometimes people trick people by selling items for cheap in low security space and killing them at the warp gate at that system.

also, you could even join a corporation (they aren't called guilds) and not do anything with anyone. i didnt even talk to a single being until about a month into the game haha and now im in a corporation that i just sell minerals i mine to. i dont do missions with them or participate in mining operations, etc. maybe someday, but i do just fine on my own. there arent any dungeons or anything that requires group work unless you choose to. for example, you can have some sort of pirating group that kills miners in low security space... or be the guy that protects the miner in low sec space (whether friend or stranger).

there are pirate corporations out there as well as anti pirate corporations - also ones that mine, industry, missions, etc. the game promotes intelligence and a selfish thought. there truly is no babying going on and corruption is perfectly allowed. for example, some guy stole 55 billion ISK from their corporation, spies can sneak into corporations before having an inter-corporation war (which goes on by paying off concord, the police), etc.

lastly, the game isnt like other fantasy games or even fighter games where you control the ship like a pilot. you control the game more like the captain. using fighting another ship as an example, you click the ship choose all these options of how you want to approach (for example, orbit at 5,000m), use an afterburner to increase your speed, target the sheep when in range, release the drones, click to tell the drones to engage target, use the 200mm guns when in optimal range, then the heavy ion blasters when close and orbiting, then loot, salvage, and return to a space station to check the market and haul the items to the highest seller. there are thousands of things for your ships... everything from guns, drones, shields, hull, engines, hull, etc. skills are also the form of leveling... which you are dependent on, but dont require time intesive griding and whatnot. for example, right now im training Drones V which allows me to use 5 drones at a time and train other skills like Drone Interfacing. It runs whether I play or not and will take about 4 more days to finish. Not all skills are long like that though... some are short and some are long (my Astrogeology skill which increases mining yield is going to take 20 days!).

Its worth checking out and playing the trial... but you will be turned away from the game because it really is overhwhelming at first. It is best to have at least one person answer questions for you - which could be me if anyone decides to join.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

Played it, I was trying to find my thread on here about my views on it but I can't find it. Loved the game, loved the graphics, loved every aspect of it.

But to me it kind of got old.. I played it for a few months and during that time I really enjoyed it. I always move on though and get tired of the same thing, and that's how it has always been with me. I'll only keep playing games if there's nothing new though.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah im the same way. i dont know if you played then or not, but they redid the graphics.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

How did they redo them? I thought they did pretty well with the graphics they had...

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

first link has graphic comparison of the before and after... second contains the official info about it. it looks really nice now... mainly, the ships look more reflective.

EVE Online is going to get a graphics update. Schweet. : [Jason Preston]

EVE ONLINE: TRINITY HOME PAGE

they redid them because its such an old game and apparently not very hard to deal with the graphics compared to other MMOs.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

wow impressive!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar