Anyone Know Motorcycles? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Anyone Know Motorcycles?

2011 Harley-Davidson FXDX. The Local dealership i git my stang from has one and it's NICE. It has 2,000 miles on it and they want under 10k for it. Anyone have one or know if it's a good deal for that bike? My dad has asked me to keep an eye out for him a bike. and I wanted to ask you guys . Thanks!

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Re: Anyone Know Motorcycles?

Well first off stay away from Anything American made. Without getting to much into it Harleys are JUNK, JUNK, JUNK. If he wants a crusier tell him to buy BMW or Honda.
2011 5.0 Steeda sway bars, panhard, shocks, struts, springs, camber adj, Bump steer kit, Steeda Spyder wheels, Toyo Proxes, AirRaid, SCT, Roush mufflers, JBA X-Pipe and cat del, Boss 302 intake, Baer 6p front and rear with drilled/slotted rotors.
ducatibrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Really? Didn't even know BMW made bikes 0_o. I know absolutely NOTHING about this lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatibrandon
Well first off stay away from Anything American made. Without getting to much into it Harleys are JUNK, JUNK, JUNK. If he wants a crusier tell him to buy BMW or Honda.
I would argue that with. Harley's used to be junk. I think they are putting out a much better product now. I'm planning on buying one soon. In the past I've owned a Honda, which was OK, and a Suzuki. The Suzuki wins hands down.

Plus, Victory makes some nice bikes if you don't mind paying for it. Really though, it comes down to what he wants, and who he wants to ride with. A lot of MC's only accept folks who ride American.
For fun: Window louvers, 15% tint, Raxiom tinted taillights, J&L Audio sub.
BenGT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I know he loves Harley's but I'm not sure if hes ever ridden anything diffrent lol

Old 09-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill1992
I know he loves Harley's but I'm not sure if hes ever ridden anything diffrent lol
The one you mentioned would be a great deal around here. But, this is FL where you can ride year round. Harley's hold their value really well here.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
That is a great deal on that bike. And harley puts out a great product now not like old Harley were u work on them to ride them. A guy I ride with has an 98 soft tail with 80,000 miles on it and has only had to do routine stuff to it. But he bought it new and has taken care of it.
Whiteboss302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

This bike looks showroom new. It's all chrome exhaust and it's beautiful. My dad would probably ride it like 4,000 miles a year so it wouldn't have a whole lot of use.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill1992 View Post
This bike looks showroom new. It's all chrome exhaust and it's beautiful. My dad would probably ride it like 4,000 miles a year so it wouldn't have a whole lot of use.
I just went online and looked around here at similar Harleys. The cheapest one I found was $13K. And it had close to 15K miles on it.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

the idea that HD makes junk is an antiquated thought. people are stuck in the Harley Davidson FMX days and refuse to aknowledge the fact that HD has made huge progress in both quality and performance since the late 70's and early 80's. They make a great bike now. The EVO motors regularly last 100K or more with regular service. The OP asks if this is a good deal. The short answer is yes, the FXDX is a Dyna Superglide Sport and if it is priced under 10K for a 2011 that my friend is a smoking deal. I cannot touch that bike for anywhere near that price in my location. I have seen 5 year old Dyna's go for 9 to 10K. I currently own a 07 Sportster, it is an excellent bike. It is my wifes bike and it is dead nuts reliable and with the mods I have on it, it runs like a scolded dog. If you want to compare, I looked at a 2011 FXDX recently with 6K miles for 13k and a 01 FXDL for 8.5K....If I could I would be on that bike like stink on a pig.
JUNIORS08GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry OP you did ask if it was a good deal. Not for my opinion on Harley. No it is not a good deal.
These are the bikes I've owned the last 10 years. 1198s, 1098s, 999 x2, 749 x2, 748, race only Ducatis, 2 Honda 600's for race duty, 1 636 race bike, 1 SV650 race bike, 1 ZX-10R for the street, 2 Sporsters Harley, 1 Duece Harley, 1 R1, and 5 years racing instruction. Motorcycle safety instructor as well. Don't buy a harley they are heavy pigs and Way over priced. If he likes to cruz get a BMW and his back with think him.
2011 5.0 Steeda sway bars, panhard, shocks, struts, springs, camber adj, Bump steer kit, Steeda Spyder wheels, Toyo Proxes, AirRaid, SCT, Roush mufflers, JBA X-Pipe and cat del, Boss 302 intake, Baer 6p front and rear with drilled/slotted rotors.
ducatibrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill1992 View Post
2011 Harley-Davidson FXDX. The Local dealership i git my stang from has one and it's NICE. It has 2,000 miles on it and they want under 10k for it. Anyone have one or know if it's a good deal for that bike? My dad has asked me to keep an eye out for him a bike. and I wanted to ask you guys . Thanks!
Asking an automotive forum about a harley is almost as volitile a question as "do you believe in god" or "are you a republican or democrat"

I doubt your dads opinion is going to be swayed when you tell him "some of the guys on the forum said harleys suck" The same conversation is being replayed over and over on message bords all over the net about ford, chevy, dodge, honda and so on....everyone has an opinion.

Best thing for you to do is compare prices for like modles on craigslist or cycletrader.com. I have been shopping for months for either a Softail or a Triumph Thunderbird...both bikes bring a premium out here. If dads wants a Harley and he likes the Dynas...then the price you listed is a very good deal assuming it is not a R title.
JUNIORS08GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Lol thanks guys. I don't mind the opinions at all because u know nothing at ALL about this stuff. I love bikes but have sadly never learned to ride.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
They are over rated, over stated, over priced and rattle bits off the bike.. Like the mirrors might fall off at a stop light. Every single thing for a HD is way over priced. They are more reliable then in the past, but.. It's like the 100k mile warranty chevy offers now.. Still does not inspire new buyer confidence.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

A Harley Davidson is only good for the Harley guys. They are incredible fun and have the prestige that most people want in a Motorcycle. The biggest problems I have seen with Harley Davidson Quality is the people that own them butchering them up by trying to work on them with crescent wrenches and hammers. I sold Harley Parts here in Daytona for 27 years. I have been all across this country and deep into Mexico and across Canada with no problems at all on Harley's.

Once across the country on my 1779 FLH dresser, & Twice across and thru Mexico and Canada on my 1985 Evolution engine belt drive dresser. I had a 1976 Super Glide I put 130,000 miles on and sold it for more then I paid for it.

I like all Motorcycles and All cars. Every bike brand or car brand will have a few different quirks no mater who made them.

Even on this Forum you can see people with Mustangs just throwing bolt on crap on them without any knowledge of what they are doing. It is the American way and machine owners have been doing it since the first covered wagons and will be doing it far into the future. When they personally screw up their car or bike it sure is not the brands fault.

If Harley's are so bad I ask: WHY IS THE 1903 first year Harley Davidson still running? If you ever go to Bike week Sturgis or Daytona just look around and you will see Harley's still being driven that are from the twenty's, thirties, forties, fifties sixties seventies eighties up to 2012. (NOT JUST A FEW BUT MANY) Put all of the years together and they outnumber all other brands put together at theas three to one.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Don't know much about Harley's but I had a bike once it was a Honda cbr and it was **** literally, didn't feel the power compared to my brothers yamaha. Had problems mechanically and just ended up selling it I would stay away from them
Old 09-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Thats what I'm saying, There are other people out there that just love the Honda CBR.
If a person is into wanting excellent handling and going fast a Harley is not the bike for them. They need a Ninja or something like it.
All of the Jap brands offer so many different styles of motorcycles it would be hard to decide what to buy. Even the English Triumph company has a bunch of different models to choose from.

I have a neighbor that hates Mustangs because he blew one up at Orlando Speedworld drag strip a few years ago. Actually he say he hates all Ford products because they are junk.

He is driving a Mazda now and says he loves it.

Ronnie
Old 09-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

You gotta admit though; Harles make a pretty awesome sound You sit upright, too, almost like an armchair, so I'll bet it's comfortable. Granted, I don't know how to ride. I've only ever been a passenger on a Triumph 276R. It was a lotta fun I could see myself one day investing in a sport's bike.

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Dcobra31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcobra31
You gotta admit though; Harles make a pretty awesome sound You sit upright, too, almost like an armchair, so I'll bet it's comfortable. Granted, I don't know how to ride. I've only ever been a passenger on a Triumph 276R. It was a lotta fun I could see myself one day investing in a sport's bike.
'Sport' bikes rule! Haha they are 'sport' bikes in the US and 'sports' bikes in the UK.. Weird but true..
Old 09-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Your Mustang looks great.
As far as Bikes go you need to get the one """YOU""" like the best. When it comes to Motorcycles they are just like cars when it comes to opinions on which one is best. My thought is" The one you want and see yourself owning and riding is the absolutely best one you can buy.

There are so many models and brands it is pretty hard to make a decision on which one you would want. At least you know you want a Sport Bike. That is a start.

Ronnie
Old 09-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
'Sport' bikes rule! Haha they are 'sport' bikes in the US and 'sports' bikes in the UK.. Weird but true..
Seriously? It's like "Toward" and "Towards." Sheesh.... Lol

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Dcobra31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcobra31

Seriously? It's like "Toward" and "Towards." Sheesh.... Lol
Six one way, half a dozen the other.. Been around bikes basically my whole life and never knew that until I started getting some mags out of the UK to keep up with MotoGP and WSB..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar