A Cure For Cancer... with no side effects?!?! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Regular

Region: Tennessee
A Cure For Cancer... with no side effects?!?!

The Kanzius Machine: A Cancer Cure?, Inventor Tells 60 Minutes He Hopes To Live Long Enough To See Machine Cure Humans - CBS News

Quote:
His name is John Kanzius, and he's a former businessman and radio technician who built a radio wave machine that has cancer researchers so enthusiastic about its potential they're pouring money and effort into testing it out.

Here's the important part: if clinical trials pan out-and there's still a long way to go-the Kanzius machine will zap cancer cells all through your body without the need for drugs or surgery and without side effects. None at all. At least that's the idea.
I always figured it would be something like this.... something so simple that could have saved hundreds of million of people a year. What if this pans out?

Has anyone realistically thought of what life would be like with the ability to cure cancer as if it was never there to begin with? Lifespans would possibly double.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
Regular

Re: A Cure For Cancer... with no side effects?!?!

lol my favorite part:

Quote:
"So we take the nanoparticles, we put 'em in the radio field. And in about 15 seconds, they’re boiling and heating and Steve Curley couldn't contain himself. He called Rick Smalley and he said, 'Rick, you’re not going to believe this. He just blew the smithereens out of your nanoparticles,'" Kanzius recalled.

Smalley's response? "The only thing that I got out of him after this pause was, “Holy ****,'" Curley recalled.

Reddit
Old 04-15-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

It will be extremely difficult for them to develop a specialized nano-particle that can attach itself to a cancer cell, discriminating against non-cancerous cells. Maybe one day, but I'm not holding my breath.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Not to mention all the money the pharmaceutical folks will put into blocking this as a viable treatment for cancer...in this country anyhow. This will cost them billions...from med costs as well as all the investigation donations, grants, etc.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

the "better" option right now is in viral genetic therapy. A virus is genetically engineered to find cancer cells, and then it infects them. After infection, it massively over produces MORE of itself (making more cancer hunting virus particles), and kills the host (cancer) cell. The clinical trials are amazing for this. These are not that far into the future.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #6
Regular

Until I Am Legend happens :pnoid:

Reddit
Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Until I Am Legend happens :pnoid:
mutations in viruses do happen, however... one that severe is extremely unlikely. Also, there are things we can do to limit the mutation rate. The main one I'm thinking of is making the virus into a DNA particle instead of an RNA with a reverse transcriptase. (for those that don't know, they start as RNA genetic information, and make DNA from that, to make RNA for protein synthesis). What this does... is allows us to insert DNA Polymerase genes into the viral genes. These proteins have proof reading capabilities and therefore, much lower mutation rates. (on the same order as our own cells mutating) reverse transcriptase has NO proof reading ability, and as such, has a very high mutation rate.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 04-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

damnit dude, that is exactly what I was thinking
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:15 PM   #9
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
mutations in viruses do happen, however... one that severe is extremely unlikely. Also, there are things we can do to limit the mutation rate. The main one I'm thinking of is making the virus into a DNA particle instead of an RNA with a reverse transcriptase. (for those that don't know, they start as RNA genetic information, and make DNA from that, to make RNA for protein synthesis). What this does... is allows us to insert DNA Polymerase genes into the viral genes. These proteins have proof reading capabilities and therefore, much lower mutation rates. (on the same order as our own cells mutating) reverse transcriptase has NO proof reading ability, and as such, has a very high mutation rate.
whatchatalkinboutwillis

Reddit
Old 04-15-2008, 08:25 PM   #10
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

hes just showing off his large brain to compensate for other things he lacks...
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
whatchatalkinboutwillis
alright, so the virus has a gene that makes a protein that turns some of its genes into genetic material that our cell can read. Then, our cell takes that viral genetic material and makes protein out of it. This protein is what makes us sick. Well, the viral protein that starts the whole process sucks at making DNA. It'll get most of the bases right (like 99.9%), but that 1 out of 1000 times, it makes an error. Biologically, this is a HUGE error rate. That protein doesn't give a ****, it's just doing its job.

Your cells on the other hand, care a lot about whether or not there are mistakes. Mistakes in your cells can kill the entire organism (you). Therefore, you have proteins that make DNA copies that have proofreading abilities. That is, they double check (more like quadruple check) their work to make sure there are no mistakes. This means for the first proof reading, if you had 1,000,000 bases, you would get 1,000 errors. However, after the first proof reading, you only have 1 left because the other 999 would be fixed (1 error in 1000, same as for making the original DNA). Then you still have all the other proof reading methods. This lowers the overall mutation rate.

If you made the viral protein proofread its ****, you would almost end the viral mutation. This means you wouldn't get the "Will Smith" effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8r View Post
hes just showing off his large brain to compensate for other things he lacks...
a question was asked, I replied. I spent about 3 years going over this stuff... terminology sticks.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:31 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

After reading this thread I have a huge headache

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar