Improve gas mileage? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-30-2008, 08:48 AM   #1

Improve gas mileage?

Does anyone know of any ways, tips, or tricks to get better MPG (better gas mileage) in my 1996 mustang GT 4.6L 5 speed tranny? looking for some kind of solution to help these outrageous gas prices...
koch_A_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Improve gas mileage?

Keep the loud pedal as elevated as possible.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

your driving style will make the biggest difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

invest in a DD

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to rwboring

i dont know if "investing" in a DD is a great idea...

15mpg 15000miles= 1000gallons a year @ 3.80= 3800$ per year
20 15000 = 750 = 2850$
21 15000 = 715 = 2714$

so every 1mpg you gain is 135$ a year... so how much are you going to pay for a car that gets better... ive said before i get like 26-29 on trips and around town prob 15... if you change driving styles even a ricer might not be worth the difference in the money you pay for it....
rwboring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #6

Is there any mechanical ways of improving your gas mileage? any tricks to or mods other than programmers and chips to improve your gas mileage?
koch_A_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

Do a tune up...plugs, wires, coils, clean or replace the air filter, change the fuel filter....basically make sure the car is in good running condition...also follow what was said above
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:35 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleUSAF View Post
your driving style will make the biggest difference
+1.

i increased my mileage 25% simply by adjusting my driving habits. went from 150miles/tank in my cobra to 200miles/tank. No random WOT runs, no wot onto the freeway every onramp, etc.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

Yea, changing the way you drive is the best solution. With average gas prices (regular gas) around here climbing to around $4 a gallon, I recently started taking steps to doing that. Which means, avoiding freeways if I can, less WOT on open roads, keep it under 2k rpm as much as possible, ect. That kinda takes the fun out of driving but damn, I cant keep spending $150-$200 a week on gas. Its killing me
chris098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:14 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris098 View Post
but damn, I cant keep spending $150-$200 a week on gas. Its killing me
what, are you like commuting everyday 2 hours each way?

id definitely look into a beater CRX or something more efficient if that was the case. Stangs are decent DD's but they sure in the hell werent meant for commuting.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:21 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea, changing the way you drive is the best solution. With average gas prices (regular gas) around here climbing to around $4 a gallon, I recently started taking steps to doing that. Which means, avoiding freeways if I can, less WOT on open roads, keep it under 2k rpm as much as possible, ect. That kinda takes the fun out of driving but damn, I cant keep spending $150-$200 a week on gas. Its killing me
less freeways?!?! just dont go over the speed limit... if you go 65 or 70 you should get 30mpg in a GT and id guess a good 23 in a cobra...

how many F-150s out there get 18-20... we should all get above that... less weight, less drag, etc.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:42 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Possibilities to improve mileage..:

If you do a lot of around town driving, a set of gears would probably bump that up (but not enough to offset the difference in what you pay for them + install)

Smaller width tires (IE if you have 315/40s out back.. a set of 245s would increase gas mileage), proper tire inflation, proper tune... and try to find a gas station that doesn't blend ethanol at all with their gas... If I use E10 in the buick, my gas mileage drops from 28-30 on the highway to 24-26 on the highway.. every time, regardless of how I drive
Old 05-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

^+1.

Found out that E10 is the reason I went from 20 mpg to 15-16. And about 90% of the stations around here use E10.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwboring View Post
i dont know if "investing" in a DD is a great idea...

15mpg 15000miles= 1000gallons a year @ 3.80= 3800$ per year
20 15000 = 750 = 2850$
21 15000 = 715 = 2714$

so every 1mpg you gain is 135$ a year... so how much are you going to pay for a car that gets better... ive said before i get like 26-29 on trips and around town prob 15... if you change driving styles even a ricer might not be worth the difference in the money you pay for it....
im not talking about the current situation as much as the near future. gas is expected to rise to $9 over the next four years placing us in the same price range as european countries. i know its just a forecast, but just a few years ago it was 1.10 a gallon. that not only increases the likelihood of a quick return on investment, but it would also have a nice jump on the market before all those high mpg vehicles skyrocket in retail price.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

you are thinkin about money in your pocket for gas.... that is the smallest piece to the puzzle... if gas gets to 10$ an hour you wont have to worry about a commuter car because we probably wont be driving at all... think about it if gas doubles again... food will double (already went up), building materials will double (homes will be twice as expensive in an already bottomed out market).... that is much more to the story then gas...

youll never make it on an average salary... so if youre going to worry about gas you might as well just sell your mustang and forget about it!
Old 05-05-2008, 12:36 PM   #16
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Well, those other items won't double in price, buy they will go up significantly. There is more in the price of items than just the fuel charge to deliver them.

But the over all point is true...everything is going to go up....as it already has.

Eventually someone will do something to get these oil barrens to get their **** in check and stop raising prices....or else this country is doomed do to the fact employers are not increasing the pay, in fact in my industry it is getting harder and harder to find a job for my money around here without moving out of state. Without some sort of changes, we are going to have one hell of a poverty rate...where making 60k per year makes you poor....and less than that makes everyone wonder how you can live.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
im not talking about the current situation as much as the near future. gas is expected to rise to $9 over the next four years placing us in the same price range as european countries. i know its just a forecast, but just a few years ago it was 1.10 a gallon. that not only increases the likelihood of a quick return on investment, but it would also have a nice jump on the market before all those high mpg vehicles skyrocket in retail price.
Here is where it gets confusing. The reason we have always been cheaper than the european countries is because we use almost 2x more than them, thus the quantity discount. If the oil companies charge past 5$/Gal they will DESTROY the US economy to the point that their biggest customer will be extinct. Kinda stupid if you ask me.

What will likely happen at that point is everyone will look for jobs close to home, even if it is a drastic cut in pay its worth it not having to drive anywhere. Apartment space will pull a premium while homes will continue to plummet, since people wont be able to afford them anymore.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #18
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
What will likely happen at that point is everyone will look for jobs close to home, even if it is a drastic cut in pay its worth it not having to drive anywhere. Apartment space will pull a premium while homes will continue to plummet, since people wont be able to afford them anymore.
It will quickly get to the point where people can't afford homes anymore if they keep going up. It's getting there now with employer's not giving matching cost of living raises...
Old 05-06-2008, 01:23 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
It will quickly get to the point where people can't afford homes anymore if they keep going up. It's getting there now with employer's not giving matching cost of living raises...
werd. good car buddy of mine just got a house. $2,300/mo. **** that. If thats the trend then i for sure will be living in an apartment or renting. its sweet though, has a 3 car garage (1 seperate, 2 connected) and the seperate one has another garage door that leads out into the back yard, where he is getting a lift installed shortly, so you can drive through and either work on the car on the lift or in the single deep garage space. the other two connected garage spaces are two cars deep, so up to 4 will fit inside.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:38 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

perfect... that's just about the time I'll be DONE with college and ready to move somewhere for a job damn it all to hell!

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via MSN to ChrissyStang02 Send a message via Yahoo to ChrissyStang02

lol...i hear ya jimmy! i agree, i think it's more about maintenance and driving like a normal citizen (hard to do sometimes), but the gas prices are horrible right now. it's bound to get better sometime soon hopefully!

2002 Mineral Gray Mustang GT ~Dominic~
MagnaFlow Catback Exhaust, CAI, Mach 1 Grille Delete and much more to come. ***Sold. New 5.0 GT coming soon!!!
ChrissyStang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:42 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to bobbyoooo

how do u find out if your gas stations use E10
bobbyoooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer

its marked on the pump...

my 2cents is invest in a CAI. improved my power and gas mileage. leave exhaust stock or keep a single out exhaust to maintain low end torque for driving at low rpms.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
my 2cents is invest in a CAI. improved my power and gas mileage. leave exhaust stock or keep a single out exhaust to maintain low end torque for driving at low rpms.
The V-8s come with true duals from the factory, but it is a good thought
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:40 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

getting rid of your cats with help. im with pure venom though, there is no shortage and the cure to the problem isn't using less fuel/oil.

but its election time and nothing will get sorted till that does. don't hold your breath.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:42 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang

Yeah all the stations here now have 10% E. I have not seen any change because we have used it for a while. I wish I could run E85 cause its still right at $3.00 a gal.vs our $3.89 for 89 cot. In my Explorer I have just slowed down (our highways are 65 and 70mph) and less idle time in both of the cars.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Mustang GT HO

V8's suck to much gas period. I getting a prius, then putting a hemi in it.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:37 AM   #28

Region: Massachusetts

i try to use cruise control as much as possible when im on the highway or just some long open street, its supposed to save alot of gas
Chaz385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #29

Question Re: Improve gas mileage?

I dont know how the gt gets 30mpg,@70mph,when i get 27mpg,@55mph.had the e-brake on for 1 mile,and 3-4 red lights?
jgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Economy tune and granny driving helps a lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #31

Quote:
how are you going to keep it below 2k on the freeway?
Old 11-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwboring View Post
less freeways?!?! just dont go over the speed limit... if you go 65 or 70 you should get 30mpg in a GT and id guess a good 23 in a cobra...

how many F-150s out there get 18-20... we should all get above that... less weight, less drag, etc.
hmm,30mpg in a gt,v6,what,about 35mpg,i think ill forget about the focus,and get a v6 instead.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar