Tony Blair's 'Heart Sank' When George Bush Beat Al Gore - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Tony Blair's 'Heart Sank' When George Bush Beat Al Gore

Quote:
FORMER British prime minister Tony Blair and his wife Cherie feared the worst as they watched George W. Bush be elected as US president.

In her memoirs, which is being serialised in The Times this week, Ms Blair writes about her and Mr Blair's dread as they saw Mr Bush beat Al Gore in the 2000 US election.

"I think it's fair to say that our hearts sank when the result was finally ratified," she writes, according to the paper.
Cherie Blair: Our hearts sank when Bush was elected | NEWS.com.au

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Re: Tony Blair's 'Heart Sank' When George Bush Beat Al Gore

I am really getting sick of all the Bush Bashing. So what? He screwed up. It happens, the man is leaving soon, all this bull**** is pointless. We get it, no one likes him. Vote better next time! Come on everybody! Lets hope on the bandwagon!
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:37 PM   #3
Regular

Quote:
I am really getting sick of all the Bush Bashing. So what? He screwed up. It happens, the man is leaving soon, all this bull**** is pointless. We get it, no one likes him. Vote better next time! Come on everybody! Lets hope on the bandwagon!
What bandwagon are we hoping for?

There is no "Vote better next time, move on".

The country keeps voting for the same bull**** everytime. YOU voted for someone that supports keeping the war EXACTLY how it is. You voted for someone that made a comment that the Constitution should be rewritten to better reflect the word of god. So don't talk to me about voting better. I did.

Reddit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

All I am saying is the lack of respect for the office of the president is appalling. Sure, maybe he makes mistakes, and arguably has disrespected our rights, but I still think there should be a respect for the position of the presidency, and I don't see it any more. The man is the leader of our country, and yet, the majority of this country would take a swing at him if given the chance. This country has forgotten what respect is about. You may not agree with the man, my not like what he does, but damn it, show the respect that is deserved of a man that is the leader of the free world!
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:35 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Aidan_04

^I'm with you on that one Nate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR View Post
^^^my fave V8 chick ^^^
Aidan_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:54 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

wow, i thought Tony Blair was GW's butt buddy. They sure act pretty well together.

Methinks TB wants to hop on the bandwagon as well. pretty sad.

You know what i like about GW? even if he doesnt make the right decisions, they are his own based on his heart and intuition, not based on committes and public polls, and he stands by his decisions whether they are right or wrong in the end. Were millions of times better off having him on office as opposed to Gore or Kerry, jesus, had those doofballs won office...... Gore wouldve cried to mommy and tucked his head between his legs after 9/11 and given the mean bad tewwowists whatever they want if they will play nice. Had kerry been elected, he would still be on day 1 figuring out which pair of shoes to wear so he doesnt piss off people who like xxx brand as opposed to those who like yyy brand.

and i agree 100% with nate, show some goddamn respect for the president. He is doing a better job than any of us could under those conditions, he didnt play with his balls all day to get into office, and compared to others IIRC with his educational background he is almost overqualified for the position. He may not act it (he even pokes fun at himself!) and may not be Einstein or Hawkins but he has a brain and can think for himself, which is more than what could be said for most of america at this point.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:18 AM   #7
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
wow, i thought Tony Blair was GW's butt buddy. They sure act pretty well together.

Methinks TB wants to hop on the bandwagon as well. pretty sad.

You know what i like about GW? even if he doesnt make the right decisions, they are his own based on his heart and intuition, not based on committes and public polls, and he stands by his decisions whether they are right or wrong in the end. Were millions of times better off having him on office as opposed to Gore or Kerry, jesus, had those doofballs won office...... Gore wouldve cried to mommy and tucked his head between his legs after 9/11 and given the mean bad tewwowists whatever they want if they will play nice. Had kerry been elected, he would still be on day 1 figuring out which pair of shoes to wear so he doesnt piss off people who like xxx brand as opposed to those who like yyy brand.

and i agree 100% with nate, show some goddamn respect for the president. He is doing a better job than any of us could under those conditions, he didnt play with his balls all day to get into office, and compared to others IIRC with his educational background he is almost overqualified for the position. He may not act it (he even pokes fun at himself!) and may not be Einstein or Hawkins but he has a brain and can think for himself, which is more than what could be said for most of america at this point.
I guess you only show respect to Republican Presidents and politicians cause you pretty much just talked **** to me about talking down on old Dubya then preceded to make fun of and disrespect a former Vice President and a current Senator, all of whom happen to be Democrats.

No I won't respect someone because they got elected by the people for the people. Respect is earned. What you do while holding the Presidential office determines the respect I give them. George Bush may very well think he is 100% right but his decisions have done no good to this country. This country is in worse shape today than in 2000 and it's because of him and every single Republican that falls in line with him because of his party.

What I find amazingly hilarious is how much trash you just talked about Al Gore yet he is the one who actually received the most votes in 2000. He is the one that should have been elected President. Me thinks we wouldn't be having this discussion about giving respect to Al Gore if he were the President cause me thinks you only give respect to people with an R in front of their name.

So don't lecture me on respect when you aren't willing to give it to people you disagree with. I think the word is hypocrite.

Reddit
Old 05-15-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Hmm...I'm going to jump on the bashing bandwagon....and say that if you have that R and S word in front of your name, you are a pile of **** that has no concern for your constituents and only care about what is going to put the most money in your pocket.

As for Bush, I don't agree with him a lot, but like was stated above, the fact that he makes a decision and stands by it earns my respect. It's a hell of a lot better than those panderers that go around changing their view points based on the crowd they are talking to....and that happens on all 3 sides of the aisle.

And in case anyone is still trying to figure out the R and S words, they are Representative and Senator. After all, they are the ones that dictate what does and doesn't get done...more so than the president.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to at7311

In this case i disagree with Brent on this one and agree with Nate too.

President Bush is doing the best he can w/ the hand he was delt with. I'm so sick and tired of all the hatred for this man. Why?...just because he stood up for our country and went after groups that have been trying to kill our people since before Bush was even in office. Give the man a break!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
George Bush may very well think he is 100% right but his decisions have done no good to this country. This country is in worse shape today than in 2000 and it's because of him and every single Republican that falls in line with him because of his party.
Disagree big time. Some seem to forget that we got attacked. In times of war no not everthing can't be hunky dory. No one likes war but sometime it is damn necessary. Yet still during this time I've been able to buy a house, a car, have a decent job. The industrial businesses around this area are creating lots of work, not to mention numerous new businesses being built. Our company has bought a new build and opened a second office b/c of our work load. etc... so what is so bad? Hell we're lucky and thanks to our government that we haven't had more attacks on us.

As the saying goes...opinions are like *** holes...everyone has one.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
Regular

We didn't get attacked by Iraq. Iraq had no weapons of mass destruction. Iraq had no more Al Qaida than Syria, Iran or Pakistan. Iraq was of no threat to the United States of America. Iraq is not worth the 10 billion dollars a month we spend on it.

Sometimes war is necessary. The Iraq war was not. George Bush did do exactly what was necessary with Afghanistan. He took it too far after that. The patriot act is a shame, the Iraq war is a economic and security disaster.

As far as you being able to buy a house, the United States does not just exist in North Alabama. When you can accept that then you can begin to understand that areas with more than 400,000 people living in them are hurting and hurting bad.

George Bush may stick to his guns but only an idiot keeps doing something that doesn't work because he doesn't want to correct it.

PureVenom: The President has this thing called Veto power He only started using it when we threatened to put science ahead of religion and our rights ahead of false security.

Reddit
Old 05-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to at7311

Quote:
As far as you being able to buy a house, the United States does not just exist in North Alabama. When you can accept that then you can begin to understand that areas with more than 400,000 people living in them are hurting and hurting bad.
NO reason to talk down to me just because we disagree!! I know that there is more to just North Alabama, and areas w/ more that 400,000 in population... Maybe I haven't read the articles you have or seen statistics you have, on how bad the economic status is in these such areas...but I sure wouldn't mind seeing where you get that information from. BTW i was just simply mentioning what i have noticed about the economic durability around my area. Doesn't mean i live under a rock bro...

agree to disagree
Old 05-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #12
Regular

All I'm saying is that before you go out and vote in November you need to research. Didn't mean to talk down to you, just wanted to make a point that there are plenty of places in this country hurting bad. Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles. States that rely heavily on industrial work such as Ohio, West Virgina, Indiana are hurting bad. North Alabama is a special exception. We are heavy with government jobs and technology.

Airlines are going out of business because of our reliance on oil, which is a national security issue and George Bush has done absolutely nothing about in his 8 years in office. He has actually made it worse with the Iraq war. Gas was less than 1.50 a gallon when he took office and now the price of a barrel of oil has broken record after record day after day.

The housing market has collapsed in many cities across the US, while not all Bush's fault, it only compounds the effects of high oil prices, high food prices and a weaker dollar.

American jobs are being outsourced left and right. The country is in rough shape.

How can people find this acceptable and still play party lines? Why support a two party system that continues to fail us?

Reddit
Old 05-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #13
Regular

Not too mention we have a National Debt of 9 trillion dollars and Bush hasn't had a balanced Budget since he took office.

Reddit
Old 05-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #14
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

If we stopped sending billions to help other countries out, we wouldn't have nearly the deficit we have now. 1 billion to Egypt? Give me a break. Saudi sends $50k. Uh, wow.

Meh, doesn't really matter, the gov't model we have now is completely broken. It is no longer a gov't of the people. We might elect them, but they sure as hell don't represent me in any form or fashion...which is probably the main reason why I didn't vote for any of them in the first place.

It's not going to matter if we get a dem, repub, indi, or any other pop up party in there. Until the gov't becomes of the people again, it will continue to be completely broken,.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #15
Regular

I agree on overseas spending. Cut it. Cut our military presence overseas. Take the 60,000 us troops stationed in South Korea out. Secure our country, not others. We wouldn't have to be in these countries if we weren't so much in debt to China and other countries.

I love how we have an embargo on Cuba yet spend the most money in China. It's another one of those things that when you think about it make you just go insane trying to figure out the logic.

I can say though, if we put a Libertarian or true Independent into office (Ralph Nader not Joe Lieberman) then this country would see change.

Reddit
Old 05-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #16
Regular

Also, I didn't even intend to bash Bush with this thread, I just thought it was interesting that the Blairs didn't like Bush from day one... they never really gave a reason for their hearts sinking either...

Reddit
Old 05-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
I agree on overseas spending. Cut it. Cut our military presence overseas. Take the 60,000 us troops stationed in South Korea out. Secure our country, not others. We wouldn't have to be in these countries if we weren't so much in debt to China and other countries.
Meh, we could just tell china "Debt? What debt? You must have the wrong country". What are they going to do, sue us? Reposess us (They'd have mexico to answer for that though)?

But that is the biggest thing I support the dude in your sig for....staying home. Funk those other thankless countries. Let them fend for themselves for a while. Then, if they still need our help, they can foot the bill. Otherwise, we are staying home.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar