V6 Mustang for first car? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depack21 View Post
I'm 17 and my first car was my 06 gt which I love. The only reason I got it was because I'm very responsible! I love having all that power. I would not want to downgrade to a v6 because of how much less hp it is. Also my friends know not to mess with me because they know they can't win. If you have a chance to get a decent gt, do it you will love it!
I had a chance to pick up a stage two roush @ 18,000 but it just wasn't for me. Going from 190 to 350+ was too much. So I got the 2011 v6. Ill get a true v8 later. Lucky man though
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
A gt has too much power? In what universe?
Barrett775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

The word "responsible" doesnt really fit well next to "love having all that power" IMO.
You can love having power and torque without being an idiot and getting yourself hurt or killed lol. If you wanna fly, take it to the strip.
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01mineralgreyv8 View Post

What made you happier with a slower car? Besides mpg... that's not what mustangs are about though

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Maybe I had a bum car or something. Mine had 60k miles on it and totally stock show room condition when I bought it. Everything went down hill from there though. Lots of replacement parts were bought. Had so many problems

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

You'll pretty much have the slowest car on the street with a V6. Gettin out run by civics all day. Do you want that? Lol don't think about taking it to a car show, I got a lot of s**t when I did.
I took my 06 v6 to a car show and got an award and I was the only v6 in my class. So stop hating on v6's. And a v6 is an awesome car. My first was a 1998 with a 5 speed and my current is an 06 v6
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1810623643.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	453.3 KB
ID:	82097  
1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #40

Region: Iowa
Wow my post got big overnight. i wanna say thanks for all of the advice and inputs to everyone. As for while cars im getting, ive got about 6 months before i decide so no hurry. Ill be hanging around here though, great forum. Thanks again!!
john9721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
np...and welcome to the site

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett775 View Post
A gt has too much power? In what universe?
Yeah to me right now. I'm thinking ahead. If I picked up that new edgeGT or that roush I would have already totaled it out by now just playing with it. Maybe later though. I just think its cool that my 11 can outrun a stock GT from the previous generations.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 View Post

I took my 06 v6 to a car show and got an award and I was the only v6 in my class. So stop hating on v6's. And a v6 is an awesome car. My first was a 1998 with a 5 speed and my current is an 06 v6
Exactly.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sorry but just don't understand why people don't want "too much power" it really sounds weak. If your a good responsible driver you can handle 1000hp. You shouldn't have to limit yourself.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott View Post
I'm sorry but just don't understand why people don't want "too much power" it really sounds weak. If your a good responsible driver you can handle 1000hp. You shouldn't have to limit yourself.
Yea but in this case were talking about someone getting their first car. Me personally i would never have gotten a GT as my first car and when i have to get my child down the road his first car it sure as hell will not be a GT. I think a V6 is a perfect first car not too fast and looks good. I was happy with the sixxer but guess im also not spoiled or anything like some ppl on here getting a GT as their first car.
Rcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #45
ME Bloodhound
Supporter
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
That's the thing, most people around the age we are talking about will probably abuse the power... Saying one thing is a much different story then when you actually get behind the wheel. If he wants the V6, let him get the V6.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's the thing, most people around the age we are talking about will probably abuse the power... Saying one thing is a much different story then when you actually get behind the wheel. If he wants the V6, let him get the V6.
+1
Rcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

my first car is a V6 and i dont care about not having a lot of power because there is always going to be someone faster. As for a first car stick with the V6. its cheaper in every way and at 15, you dont have crazy amounts of money to dump on a first car. The V6 is just the smarter choice when your young
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
have you ever driven a 1k hp mustang? responsible as i try to be i still had trouble keeping my friends car from breaking loose constantly

i agree if OP wants a sixxer let him have a sixxer...then if he decides he wants to upgrade he can just get a 2012 sixxer that'll blow most other GTs off the road

Old 12-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

I never said to not get a six, that's fine, but it is the ones saying that they don't want a gt because it is too much power that

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Quote:
I never said to not get a six, that's fine, but it is the ones saying that they don't want a gt because it is too much power that
I don't under stand. As far as price goes, for me, a 17 y/o insurance was $200 difference a year, not a lot. Gas is only a few mpgs difference, and why would you want a car because it doesn't have hundreds of bolt ons? That is what's fun when your a my age, and if it isn't then you shouldn't be diving a mustang in the first place.

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

I don't under stand. As far as price goes, for me, a 17 y/o insurance was $200 difference a year, not a lot. Gas is only a few mpgs difference, and why would you want a car because it doesn't have hundreds of bolt ons? That is what's fun when your a my age, and if it isn't then you shouldn't be diving a mustang in the first place.
And the price between a used sixxer and a used gt isn't that substantial either.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
everyones hating on the sixxers... alot of people do sadly. The main problem is, and i said that im gonna be a responsible driver when i got my licence too, that with all that v8 power under the hood, i know i would kill myself, and you would end up too. Yeah sixxers arent fast, they arent that pure v8 speed that gt's are, but is speed really all of it? Fuel economy, safety, insurance (i live near NYC, and at 17, no one will insure me for a gt, and i have a clean record) reliability, and its alot easier working on a sixxer. They're great learner cars, and they're really fun. I'd go for a v6 for a first car, it's what i did for mine, and i dont regret it at all.

04 V6 Coupe Divorced flow 40's, AM CAI, Dual Rockford Punch 10 in. Subs, Matrix 1500 Watt Amp, Infinity speakers
Jetsnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

You can get in just as much trouble with a v6, lets be realistic here. They still top out at about 120 so thats a pretty large ticket if ur bein dumb and drivin like that on the street. And if you wreck youll most likely die. Nothin that cant happen in a gt. its all about bein responsible and saving it for the track.
1996v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Man I got a gt with a 5 speed as my first car and and I was used to the power in about a month. I spun out a few times and went through some tires but over all glad I didn't get the v6 but then again I wouldn't buy a v6 just my personal opinion nothing against anybody who has one.
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

And the price between a used sixxer and a used gt isn't that substantial either.
i've had the same year in both a GT and a v6...the insurance was $25 difference...the mpg wasn't that big apart..however i would never reccomend a GT to a 15 year old. as for the bolt on comment...i'm at a lose trying to figure out what bolt ons i can't get for my sixxer lol

again both models have pros and cons

Old 12-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #54

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsnix View Post
everyones hating on the sixxers... alot of people do sadly. The main problem is, and i said that im gonna be a responsible driver when i got my licence too, that with all that v8 power under the hood, i know i would kill myself, and you would end up too. Yeah sixxers arent fast, they arent that pure v8 speed that gt's are, but is speed really all of it? Fuel economy, safety, insurance (i live near NYC, and at 17, no one will insure me for a gt, and i have a clean record) reliability, and its alot easier working on a sixxer. They're great learner cars, and they're really fun. I'd go for a v6 for a first car, it's what i did for mine, and i dont regret it at all.
What's insurance like for a teen in NYC? And under your parents or by yourself?
john9721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

The whole gt for a 15 y/o being to much isnt true. It depends on the kid. My dad let me drive his 69 coronet with a 383 bb amd 390 gears, that car had some *** but i was responsible. Its all whether the kid is responsible or not. On the other hand i do believe it might be a little more unaffordable all around than a 6. My first stang was a 96v6 and i loved it!
1996v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

It's funny how this tread has just become v8 owners and v6 owners bickering about why their car is better. What it comes down to is this: if the op is responsible and not an idiot just go for the gt with the v8 and enjoy yourself. Or if your an irresponsible idiot then get a sixxer because your chances of getting yourself killed are slightly lower. It is still a mustang, they are supposed to be an economical powerful muscle car.

If you really want to be safe, just get a camaro.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:22 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

nah...if OP wants an underpowered car then a fox would be a good starter lol but seriously if the rants keep up then the thread might as well be closed

Old 12-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Regardless, a V6 or a V8, a Mustang is a Mustang.
sixxerstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saramcknz View Post
Regardless, a V6 or a V8, a Mustang is a Mustang.
+1 Yes exactly
ProudSixxer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

lol depends what you mean by slower...on a straight sure, but put you and me on a road course or back road and we'll see if you can keep up to me it just sounds like you got made fun of and couldn't handle it lol
Comment not needed
01mineralgreyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT View Post

How much are you looking to buy a v6 for? Save another grand and get a GT man. GT's aren't too expensive anymore. Also put the car in ur parents name and have them put it on their insurance. Makes things way cheaper. I bought my first car and I bought my second car, my mustang. Got my GT a year ago for $4900 with 84k from the original owner. So you can find a good deal on a GT. They're worth it.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

For full coverage on my stang, I pay $85
Wow full coverage on my mustang a month is like$200 so I dropped it to liability for 100
2002 5 speed Comp Orange Mustang GT. K&N CAI,JBA headers,BBK xpipe,SLP mufflers to turn downs,Exedy stage 2 clutch,MGW short throw,drilled and and slotted roters,front:17x9 black 10th anniversary cobras Rear:17x10.5 black 10th anniversary cobras,Roush stage 3 body kit,smoked tails and side markers.
Nate98stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
nah...if OP wants an underpowered car then a fox would be a good starter lol but seriously if the rants keep up then the thread might as well be closed
I'm surprised it hasn't been closed yet.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's funny how this tread has just become v8 owners and v6 owners bickering about why their car is better. What it comes down to is this: if the op is responsible and not an idiot just go for the gt with the v8 and enjoy yourself. Or if your an irresponsible idiot then get a sixxer because your chances of getting yourself killed are slightly lower. It is still a mustang, they are supposed to be an economical powerful muscle car.

If you really want to be safe, just get a camaro.
a v8 as a teenager is stupid especially if he is paying for the car and the gas. The V6 is just a more sensible and economical car in every way. It's the smartest choice for a teenager with little money paying for the car himself. I have a v6 for my first car and love it. I don't need the speed because there will always be someone faster. Even if you get a new edge GT you'll get your butt kicked by any 4 cylinder s2000.
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm surprised it hasn't been closed yet.
i'm trying not to have to close OPs first thread since he can get some relevant info from it for his purchase, but i will if i need too

Old 12-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Have you handled 1000 hp? I haven't. I've had around 400 in a manual and for my age that's a death sentence. You can be the best clutch driver in a tri state area but that doesn't mean it doesn't get away from you. Look at Lamborghini and Ferrari drivers, they spend hundreds on thousands into the car, and some wreck them not because of carelessness just because it slips away sometime. Heck, my 305 hp v6 does that from time to time.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post
a v8 as a teenager is stupid especially if he is paying for the car and the gas. The V6 is just a more sensible and economical car in every way. It's the smartest choice for a teenager with little money paying for the car himself. I have a v6 for my first car and love it. I don't need the speed because there will always be someone faster. Even if you get a new edge GT you'll get your butt kicked by any 4 cylinder s2000.
that i'm going to have to disagree with...when i had my GT i raced a lot of s2000's at the track and never lost...it was always close, but never a lose. other then that good points lol...

i will say that no matter what op ends up going with he will be happy with...both types of mustangs are still great performing vehicles

Old 12-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+2

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

I'm just gonna say this to everything I've read since page 3, anything over 55 mph will kill you instantly in a wreck. That's a good rule of thumb I use.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
+2

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

I'm just gonna say this to everything I've read since page 3, anything over 55 mph will kill you instantly in a wreck. That's a good rule of thumb I use.
may kill you...

Old 12-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Did OP give a budget? Is he paying for insurance?
Old 12-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post
Did OP give a budget? Is he paying for insurance?
I think he said around 3,000
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Tags
v6 mustang