V6 Mustang for first car? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #1

Region: Iowa
V6 Mustang for first car?

Hey guys, Im 15 and working on saving for my first car (Probably summer of next year) and I really like Mustangs. Now first off, Im not some rich kid who is getting a brand new car from his parents, Im buying it myself, and paying for the gas. I am looking at 1999-2003 Mustang's with the 3.8L (Basic Model) My question is, if this car is under my parents insurance with me as a driver how much will the insurance go up? Also, is this a good first car? Im not a crazy driver like alot of teens, I am acually really cautious when driving. Thanks!
john9721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by john9721 View Post
Hey guys, Im 15 and working on saving for my first car (Probably summer of next year) and I really like Mustangs. Now first off, Im not some rich kid who is getting a brand new car from his parents, Im buying it myself, and paying for the gas. I am looking at 1999-2003 Mustang's with the 3.8L (Basic Model) My question is, if this car is under my parents insurance with me as a driver how much will the insurance go up? Also, is this a good first car? Im not a crazy driver like alot of teens, I am acually really cautious when driving. Thanks!
How much are you looking to buy a v6 for? Save another grand and get a GT man. GT's aren't too expensive anymore. Also put the car in ur parents name and have them put it on their insurance. Makes things way cheaper. I bought my first car and I bought my second car, my mustang. Got my GT a year ago for $4900 with 84k from the original owner. So you can find a good deal on a GT. They're worth it.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

For full coverage on my stang, I pay $85

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #3

Im only spending around $3000. When you say put the car in my parents name do you mean list them as the primary drivers and me as part time or whatever Geico is calling it now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Im only spending around $3000. When you say put the car in my parents name do you mean list them as the primary drivers and me as part time or whatever Geico is calling it now?
You can get a GT with a few miles on it for close to that price. I mean put the title of the car in ur parents name. Then have them add the car to their insurance so that the car itself is insured. That way anyone driving the car is insured. You won't be insured specifically, but if you are driving the car you will be insured. That's how I did it in high school. I got in a fender bender too and everything was covered including my medical bills.

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I got my v6 for 3500. Also yes parents on your insurance will make it cheaper. I also picked up a gt mustang 87 for 2000 fox bodies are cheaper and are good cars look for one in area if you can
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT View Post

[/COLOR]For full coverage on my stang, I pay $85
How old are you?
Old 12-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I wouldn't suggest getting a GT at the age of 15.... just stick with a v6 for now, learn how to drive better, and upgrade in a couple years. I had an 05 V6 till last month when I upgraded to a 13 GT
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
It's like learning to ride a street bike on a 1000.. Some can some can't.. Learned to drive with a 5.0L, learned to ride on a 600..

It's all about respect and paying attention and having respect for the machine.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom View Post
I got my v6 for 3500. Also yes parents on your insurance will make it cheaper. I also picked up a gt mustang 87 for 2000 fox bodies are cheaper and are good cars look for one in area if you can
Problem with a Fox 5.0L as a first car is they don't turn or stop as well as they go.. Again.. All about respect..
Old 12-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

How old are you?
For just liable I pay 100 and I'm 21 for my v6
Old 12-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
i agree on not getting a GT as a first car....i've had both v6 and v8 mustangs and well...i know that if i had my GT when i was younger i would of done alot more dumb stuff, and wound of in big trouble or dead. Start with a sixxer and one day go for the bigger power...heck i love the v6's so much i even sold my GT for a better condition sixxer, and couldn't be happier.

Now OP i will say that as far as reliable cars go they are great...easy to work on, and give you the great look of a mustang with the insurance and gas mileage of a v6. If you have any detailed questions feel free to pm me

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

FWIW I pay 70 per month for liability and uninsured motorist on my 01 gt. All under my name and being 18. As for fuel economy, I was able to pull off 27.7 MPG when I first got it. Realistically I get around 22. Back on topic though, a v6 is a great first car. Look at it this way, at least your first car won't be a $750 Nissan like mine was.
Xtrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Get the gt a stock fox body gt or new edge stock isn't very fast stock but still enough to have fun with and I agree with dead spot u have to have major respect for it and KNOW UR LIMITS!!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I got my gt for $3100. You just have to be willing to look and haggle. Insurance is $110 with it in my parents name and on their insurance plan.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

You have to be realistic. If your responsible and won't be stupid then get the gt. if your going to be an idiot get a sixxer. I got a gt but I know that I'm responsible enough to handle it. They do have a lot more go than they do stop, but just don't be dumb. As far as gas goes it isn't that big of a difference as long as you don't have a lead foot, but even then you could still get awful mpg in a v6.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott View Post
You have to be realistic. If your responsible and won't be stupid then get the gt. if your going to be an idiot get a sixxer. I got a gt but I know that I'm responsible enough to handle it. They do have a lot more go than they do stop, but just don't be dumb. As far as gas goes it isn't that big of a difference as long as you don't have a lead foot, but even then you could still get awful mpg in a v6.
People think with more power equal more danger but I remember losing control the first time I drove my v6 and I wasn't do anything wrong. A v6 doesn't have the extra things a v8 has. Whatever car you get you must be responsible. Also gas mpg if that is your biggest concern look for a daily driver. I like my v6 looks good,decent power and has okay gas.

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrosity View Post
FWIW I pay 70 per month for liability and uninsured motorist on my 01 gt. All under my name and being 18. As for fuel economy, I was able to pull off 27.7 MPG when I first got it. Realistically I get around 22. Back on topic though, a v6 is a great first car. Look at it this way, at least your first car won't be a $750 Nissan like mine was.
Insurance depends on the area. I don't have any speeding tickets or claims yet mine is higher then yours. Also mpg depends on a lot of factors but number one is the driver and then the second to me is auto or manual. Auto are lower, while in a manual you can get a bit more plus more power
Old 12-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom View Post

People think with more power equal more danger but I remember losing control the first time I drove my v6 and I wasn't do anything wrong. A v6 doesn't have the extra things a v8 has. Whatever car you get you must be responsible. Also gas mpg if that is your biggest concern look for a daily driver. I like my v6 looks good,decent power and has okay gas.

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Insurance depends on the area. I don't have any speeding tickets or claims yet mine is higher then yours. Also mpg depends on a lot of factors but number one is the driver and then the second to me is auto or manual. Auto are lower, while in a manual you can get a bit more plus more power
Ill agree that area is a factor, but which insurance company is a bigger factor. Only insurance that was remotely reasonable was geico. All the others for me were 150+. Don't know why there is a huge difference. As for mpg, manuals usually get better fuel economy.
Xtrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
I have a V6 for my first car and I love it. Better for your first car to be a bit safer, considering myths about a first car. Lol. Plus it's just cheaper that way. Especially at your age. Upgrade to a V8 later. Stick with a V6 for now and just mod it up.
sixxerstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm 19, my first car was an 02 V6. Had it for a year ten finally stepped up to a GT. Had that for two years now. I regret ever buyin a v6. Horrible first car. If you like mustangs, you won't like a v6. Extremely slow and not as good on gas as they should be. Take extra time to save and get a gt. that's my advice.
01mineralgreyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01mineralgreyv8 View Post
I'm 19, my first car was an 02 V6. Had it for a year ten finally stepped up to a GT. Had that for two years now. I regret ever buyin a v6. Horrible first car. If you like mustangs, you won't like a v6. Extremely slow and not as good on gas as they should be. Take extra time to save and get a gt. that's my advice.
that's weird i sold my '04 GT for my '04 v6 and couldn't be happier

Old 12-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

And my insurance was cheaper for my 01 GT than for my 02 V6. I was on my parents plan though
Old 12-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I would have to disagree with that. But I have an 05 V6, so I guess my situation is a little different. Lol. But my dad had an earlier V6 and it didn't seem slow at all, and gas seemed fine to me.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

I was very disappointed driving my sisters v6, felt like it had alot less power than my little grand am gt did (first car) and it was rated at like 30 less hp. I guess I'm just used to my full bolt on roaring gt, it has spoiled me haha
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

that's weird i sold my '04 GT for my '04 v6 and couldn't be happier
What made you happier with a slower car? Besides mpg... that's not what mustangs are about though

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramcknz View Post

I would have to disagree with that. But I have an 05 V6, so I guess my situation is a little different. Lol. But my dad had an earlier V6 and it didn't seem slow at all, and gas seemed fine to me.
Maybe I had a bum car or something. Mine had 60k miles on it and totally stock show room condition when I bought it. Everything went down hill from there though. Lots of replacement parts were bought. Had so many problems

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

You'll pretty much have the slowest car on the street with a V6. Gettin out run by civics all day. Do you want that? Lol don't think about taking it to a car show, I got a lot of s**t when I did.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
Well insurance wise when I had my first mustang i was paying out the but for a 4 cylinder fox body with only the required to legally drive in Florida but now I'm 21 have full coverage on my 1999 gt and only pay 106 a month in Wyoming
Barrett775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What made you happier with a slower car? Besides mpg... that's not what mustangs are about though

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Maybe I had a bum car or something. Mine had 60k miles on it and totally stock show room condition when I bought it. Everything went down hill from there though. Lots of replacement parts were bought. Had so many problems

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

You'll pretty much have the slowest car on the street with a V6. Gettin out run by civics all day. Do you want that? Lol don't think about taking it to a car show, I got a lot of s**t when I did.
I had to replace a lot in mine but because my car went through heck and back with the previous owner and sat at the dealership for years, on top of being a test car. Yet it still runs amazing. So did my dads. And I was in a car crew with nothing but tuners, and a lot of them liked my car. It just depends on the car, I guess.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

lol depends what you mean by slower...on a straight sure, but put you and me on a road course or back road and we'll see if you can keep up to me it just sounds like you got made fun of and couldn't handle it lol

Old 12-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

lol depends what you mean by slower...on a straight sure, but put you and me on a road course or back road and we'll see if you can keep up to me it just sounds like you got made fun of and couldn't handle it lol
Idk, I took my sisters on a back road and floored it, didn't even chirp the tires and it took forever to even get to 60. Just seemed disappointing to me. But to each's own.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
Idk, I took my sisters on a back road and floored it, didn't even chirp the tires and it took forever to even get to 60. Just seemed disappointing to me. But to each's own.
your sister is also in stock trim, but what's nice about a NE v6 is how the weight is displaced on the car. Makes a really nice corner carver with little work You don't need to chirp the tires to have a respectable car, but that might just be an age difference

after tracking both my GT and v6 i'll say that with the same mods my GT would not be able to keep up with my v6 on corners, but come the straights my GT would pull away. Really depends on what you want in the car...

Old 12-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

your sister is also in stock trim, but what's nice about a NE v6 is how the weight is displaced on the car. Makes a really nice corner carver with little work You don't need to chirp the tires to have a respectable car, but that might just be an age difference

after tracking both my GT and v6 i'll say that with the same mods my GT would not be able to keep up with my v6 on corners, but come the straights my GT would pull away. Really depends on what you want in the car...
I suppose that's true, as far as the car goes it's not a bad vehicle, just not near as fun IMO. It's just a preference. I like roaring straight line muscle cars.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
I suppose that's true, as far as the car goes it's not a bad vehicle, just not near as fun IMO. It's just a preference. I like roaring straight line muscle cars.
lol yeah i use to be that way, but straight lines got boreing after a few years

Old 12-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

lol yeah i use to be that way, but straight lines got boreing after a few years
I like going in the turns fast too. I set up my v6 for corners. Now all I need is to save up and buy a procharger
Old 12-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I'm 17 and my first car was my 06 gt which I love. The only reason I got it was because I'm very responsible! I love having all that power. I would not want to downgrade to a v6 because of how much less hp it is. Also my friends know not to mess with me because they know they can't win. If you have a chance to get a decent gt, do it you will love it!
Depack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Just went creepin in the v6 section and saw this. My first car was an 02 v6 manny. Loved it. The manual aspect made it feel fast for me despite it had 190 hp. I sold that for exactly what I bought it 3 years down the road. I bought a 2011 v6 and I can get the 305 hp (260ish) and 31 mpg. Look for a new edge v6. Don't go for the GT. I test drove one when I was 15 and it scared me because one) hasn't bought it, two) I like speed. So my dad and I settled on the v6. It was nice and comp orange/ red in some light. I saved about 2,000 for mods so I spent that on a all new sound system, which is now in my 2011 premium. Also upgraded the body and saved the rest. It's smarter for your wallet and life to get a v6. Also as some have said, respect it. And know what it can and can't do. Don't go outside that box and you'll be good to go. I've spun my 02 around a few times. It's enough power to scare you but not kill you. (Horrible saying of mine I know) also they don't have ABS or traction control so you learn to drive right. I think that's all I can think of. Btw I'm in Alabama. You can go from mobile, all the way to the Tennessee line with 1 tank.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #35
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depack21 View Post
I'm 17 and my first car was my 06 gt which I love. The only reason I got it was because I'm very responsible! I love having all that power. I would not want to downgrade to a v6 because of how much less hp it is. Also my friends know not to mess with me because they know they can't win. If you have a chance to get a decent gt, do it you will love it!
The word "responsible" doesnt really fit well next to "love having all that power" IMO.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Tags
v6 mustang