Oil Cheif Execs answer why prices have gone up 400% since Bush took office - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-22-2008, 08:47 PM   #36
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
Re: Oil Cheif Execs answer why prices have gone up 400% since Bush took office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Why can't we use electricity? Let us say I bought that Tesla Motor car. I come home and ****, I don't wanna plug into my power because it might cost a lot of money in the long run. Solution?

Easy

Set yourself up with solar panels and a few small windmills. Have that power be directed into a generator.

Go home, plug into the generator, fully charged. I paid nothing for it.

Well, obviously I had to pay for the solar panels and all that ****, but once that was done you are pretty much set.
Besides a Tesla motor not being the most feasible thing in the world. Have you priced windmills and solar panels? Not the cheapest things in the world. Probably wouldn't be a "small" one either. Solar panels used to heat pools tend to take up half of a house's roof. I imagine an electric motor made to propel a 2 ton automobile would require much more demand than a water heater and thus require a huge solar array. Cost to generate a kWh from a solar PV system is 20-30 cents per kWh in my part of the country - that is HUGE. Plus, what would you do in areas of the country (like the southeast) that have low light intensity from the sun and little to no predictable wind pattern? While this technology is being used throughout the world successfully, it isn't mature enough to be used everywhere economically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008, 10:08 PM   #37
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64 View Post
Besides a Tesla motor not being the most feasible thing in the world. Have you priced windmills and solar panels? Not the cheapest things in the world. Probably wouldn't be a "small" one either. Solar panels used to heat pools tend to take up half of a house's roof. I imagine an electric motor made to propel a 2 ton automobile would require much more demand than a water heater and thus require a huge solar array. Cost to generate a kWh from a solar PV system is 20-30 cents per kWh in my part of the country - that is HUGE. Plus, what would you do in areas of the country (like the southeast) that have low light intensity from the sun and little to no predictable wind pattern? While this technology is being used throughout the world successfully, it isn't mature enough to be used everywhere economically.
I haven't priced anything yet, but I'm in the process. I need to figure out how many watts of energy I need to charge the car. From there I can figure out what kinda solar panels I'd need to buy and such. Then of course the generator.

I figure the other parts of the country can gain energy from the hydrocarbon fuels from garbage. Use that energy to be put into making electricity for people to cheapen the prices of electricity.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:11 PM   #38
Legacy Member
Legacy

Or hell, ride a stationary bike to generate some power. Get everyone's asses up and start riding on your spare time to get up some juice.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008, 10:51 PM   #39
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang

Duke energy (our local power Co.) bought some land and put windmills up to off set the cost.
"By the numbers

How high: The windmills in Benton County are 265 feet high from the base to the center of the blades. Each blade, called a rotor, is 135 feet long. When a blade is pointing straight up, the entire structure is 397 feet high.
How far: Windmills slow the wind down by capturing some of the wind speed to turn each rotor. To make sure each mill gets a full dose of wind, they are spaced at 1,200 feet away from one another.

How many: There are 87 windmills operating in northwest Benton County.

How much: The 130 megawatts of electricity generated by the 87 windmills is enough to power 43,000 homes for a year. Contact Erik Potter at 648-3120, or epotter@post-trib.com. Comment on this story at www.post-trib.com"

I think that it will help some, but people need to change some. I will be the first to say I am sick of the high fuel price while im filling up my explorer, or my mustang (duh SUV and Sports car) and my tractors. But I am also the first one to cut down how much I drive, how I drive and try to live green. Not for everyone else, or its the "new cool thing" but because thats how I am around here. We live off the land and we need to keep it around. and dont bring up the E85 or E10 and say thats the reason food is so high and cant feed the poor. Thats BS. Indiana is one of the largest Corn and bean growers and I can tell you first off that there is more then we can handle growing. The hardest part of the whole thing is the price of the land (tax's) and the fuel price with the weather we have had. I am sick of the huge SUV and trucks full of little kids with there mom talking on the phone with the AC running on a 70* day. Thats why the fuel price is so high. They can pay for it, or atleast charge it...
Old 05-22-2008, 11:00 PM   #40
Regular

Region: Tennessee

If there is more than you can handle growing then why is there a food shortage and record high food prices? I really haven't payed attention to the food deal enough and I am honestly curious what your take on it is.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:49 AM   #41
Legacy Member
Legacy

We may need to redesign houses.. maybe windmill type of houses.. but futuristic lookin...

Old 05-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #42
Legacy Member
Legacy

March driving down for 1st time since 1979: government - Yahoo! News

IF LESS PEOPLE ARE DRIVING THEN WHERE IS THIS DEMAND FOR GAS?? HM??????????

Old 05-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

http://www.americansolutions.com

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:17 PM   #44
Regular

I agree 100% that the Senate and House should have term limits. It would completely kill the career Politician.

Reddit
Old 05-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #45
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I agree 100% that the Senate and House should have term limits. It would completely kill the career Politician.
+1234987123498712349847502349865102394 on this..

Limiting the president's term doesn't do any good any more, because the president isn't the one directing the country any more. We need to limit our so called "representatives"
Old 06-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #46
Legacy Member
Legacy

So I did the math, and if the Chevy Volt will cost about 85 cents to charge it to do 80 miles, it should be around.. $2.65 - $2.85 to charge a Tesla Motor vehicle to do 250 miles.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #47

Region: Texas

Well the demand is going up drastically. The Chinese are using way more than they use to.
captainsteve57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #48
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

and the indians

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:21 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via MSN to Warfire80

ummm...hasnt anyone watched Back To the Future lately? trash is the key to alternative fuels.

Quote:
by Lawrence Bell
Show me a man who cannot bother to do little things and I'll show you a man who cannot be trusted to do big things
Warfire80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #50
Legacy Member
Legacy

Let me just dust off the ol Mr. Fusion and attach it to my car and we're set.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #51
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

You can all stop blaming the oil companies. Here is why.

1. We ***** but still we drive the big *** SUV's and don't even think twice about it.

2. Who really carpools? every day I see 95% of the people on there way to work and only them in the car.

3. Other than the North East and a few large cities around the US have real mass transit.

4. Those same Democrat Senators last week shot down another bill to allow drilling in the Eastern Gulf of Mexico and Eastern Atlantic. They say drilling is not the answer. Well F*#K ME, This is the exact reason we are where we are at right now.

5. Lets take a trip down memory lane. Back in the early 90's Clinton signed a bill that immediately shuddered 2/3 of the refinery's in the US because of EPA standards for emissions and contamination. Then gasoline was around $1.15 a gallon. The price was so low that the oil companies closed them instead of fixing them. Most are just rotting away as the cost to modernize them for use is more costly than new refinery's. So why not build refinerys. They can't The senate again stepped in in the late 90's keeping Aramco (Saudia OIl Company) from building 3 huge refinery's in the South East and Pacific Coast because of National Security. WTF? Oil Refinery's are a Nation Security and what is the difference if the Saud's refine it here or there. I believe the current crisis started here. In 1980 we refined 80% of our oil now we refine 20%

6. Why not new refinery now. Well because every time they want to build one the eco-nuts and green people step in the way with law suites and drag crap out for years in the courts.

7. The dollar is a a very low point right now so investors are moving there money to oil. In the last 18 months the investments in oil have increased over 300% That is a very good return.

So what does this mean Oil prices are over inflated by about 40 to 45% of where it should be. Current market professionals and Oil people say a barrel of oil should be market valued around 80-85 dollars a barrel. Current prices are way off demand and availability. Futures traders keep pushing the market price higher and higher at the shock of Saudia Arabia which agrees oil should be around 85 a barrel.

So if you really want to blame anyone BLAME THE TRADERS ON THE STOCK MARKETS. THEY HAVE DRIVEN PRICES UP. Heaven help us if a Big *** Hurricane slides into the Upper Gulf of Mexico this summer. If one does we will be at $5 to $5.50 in the blink of an eye!

So when do you think a Hybrid Stang will be in the works?? HAHAHA
Old 06-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #52
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsteve57 View Post
Well the demand is going up drastically. The Chinese are using way more than they use to.
Whaa??
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #53
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsteve57 View Post
They are using more but there is more oil being pumped out. If China was really the problem we would see shortages. back in the early 70's there was a shortage as OPEC countries stop pumping gas it went from 29 cents a gallon to 40 cents a gallon and gas station ran out of gas. Today there is no shortage and yet in 3 years it has gone up almost 3 dollars a gallon.

No Shortage of oil just a Shortage of Honesty
Old 06-17-2008, 08:31 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via MSN to Warfire80

Quote:
Sophisticated investors are drawn to the price swings of oil, natural gas and other commodities because they see a daily chance to make money.

Oil and other energy bets attract such venerable Wall Street firms as Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley, which have beefed up energy-trading divisions.

But increasingly, others also see the allure of oil. Once reserved for oil companies, airlines or banks, new investors are jumping into oil futures.

Hedge funds, which are private vehicles that invest money mainly for the wealthy, see a golden opportunity in oil and other commodities. Even smaller speculators have joined the game.

"There is money to be made," said Howard Lindzon, a Phoenix hedge-fund manager with $10 million under management. "Speculators generally go where there is motion, and right now there is motion in energy."

Of the 500 hedge funds tracked by New York-based Energy Hedge Fund Center, an estimated 140 to 200 funds trade heavily in oil, gas or other types of energy.

That's a significant change from just a few years ago when just a handful of such funds traded in energy.

"What you've got is a lot of speculators coming in and playing the market," said Peter Fusaro, principal of the Energy Hedge Fund Center. "Traders like volatility. They don't like flat markets."

Investors can rapidly buy or sell futures contracts over such exchanges as the New York Mercantile Exchange or upstarts like Intercontinental Exchange, an Atlanta-based energy exchange.

According to Intercontinental Exchange, hedge funds and other speculators account for 28 percent of the exchange's North American oil and gas market participants, up from 5 percent just a few years ago.

The influx of players has triggered more activity, more trades and more price swings.

Last month, Intercontinental Exchange logged average daily trades of 240 million barrels a day, up from 100 million five years ago
Here is an article on hedge funds, the main contributor to gas price hikes..

Hedge funds play major role in gas price hikes

Quote:
by Lawrence Bell
Show me a man who cannot bother to do little things and I'll show you a man who cannot be trusted to do big things
Warfire80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #55
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
So if you really want to blame anyone BLAME THE TRADERS ON THE STOCK MARKETS. THEY HAVE DRIVEN PRICES UP. Heaven help us if a Big *** Hurricane slides into the Upper Gulf of Mexico this summer. If one does we will be at $5 to $5.50 in the blink of an eye!
Haha, it's already $4.63 for regular here......i do see your point though and agree with it.....we need refineries and tell the damn speculators to knock it the hell off with the stocks...and will someone please get a gathering of all the "green" people and drop a bomb on them...i do think that we need to watch how we treat the planet but these people take it way too far
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:53 PM   #56
Regular

Americans need to stop driving Jeeps as daily drivers

Reddit
Old 06-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #57
Legacy Member
Legacy

lol agreed

Old 06-17-2008, 08:15 PM   #58
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #59
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

Quote:
Mine gets 17 mpg now :fu2:
Old 06-18-2008, 05:29 AM   #60
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

Then what would the 35% of the butch lesbians drive. 2:
Old 06-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #61
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude View Post
Then what would the 35% of the butch lesbians drive. 2:
Prius

Reddit
Old 06-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #62
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama

Quote:
I bet I get better mileage than some of the cobras on here.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #63
Legacy Member
Legacy

I bet I get better mileage than some of those jeeps out there :B

Old 06-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #64
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8r View Post
I bet I get better mileage than some of the cobras on here.
Some...not all...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #65
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Prius
Only if they can remove the doors and put a BUSH Guard OH I Mean a brush Guard on it! MUHAHAHA!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar